Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Mad World Wraps Final Alpha Test After New Features Added, Jandisoft Still Requesting Feedback

SystemSystem Member UncommonPosts: 12,599
Post edited by StevenWeber on

Comments

• Jamps_ModeJamps_Mode Member UncommonPosts: 13
    The control scheme for this game was mega clunky and left a lot to be desired. Using right click to move and left click to attack should be much more responsive but it ended up with me just feeling like I had even less control. Early progression felt slow and weird. I only made it to like level 10 but the New World ideas of 'weapon has skill tree' (I know New World wasn't the only game to do this, I'm just using it as an example of how you do it badly) and that's all you build your character off is boring. I wish we would try and stray away from this free-form class building system and get back into heavy class skill trees, like Rift did.
  • The_KorriganThe_Korrigan Member RarePosts: 3,459
    edited June 2022
    That's a nice undefined discussion subject ;)

The control scheme for this game was mega clunky and left a lot to be desired. Using right click to move and left click to attack should be much more responsive but it ended up with me just feeling like I had even less control. Early progression felt slow and weird. I only made it to like level 10 but the New World ideas of 'weapon has skill tree' (I know New World wasn't the only game to do this, I'm just using it as an example of how you do it badly) and that's all you build your character off is boring. I wish we would try and stray away from this free-form class building system and get back into heavy class skill trees, like Rift did.

I actually love classless character development, you also have it in Ultima Online and Asheron's Call. I prefer the "play what you want" to the "play what the developers force you into" mindset in a game.
    SovrathSarla[Deleted User]
    Respect, walk, what did you say?
    Respect, walk
    Are you talkin' to me? Are you talkin' to me?
    - PANTERA at HELLFEST 2023
    Yes, they are back !

• ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,955
    edited June 2022

I actually love classless character development, you also have it in Ultima Online and Asheron's Call. I prefer the "play what you want" to the "play what the developers force you into" mindset in a game.
    Reported, the Undefined that is not you. :)

This is a more sandboxy argument, as AC was not a sandbox, but certainly more so than the likes of WoW. For me it depends on how well the sandbox elements are done, sometimes it just seems an excuse for little content. But AC did it well, I also liked AC2 but many were less keen on that one. When it comes to class development, these days developers want everything on rails with little choice, so few MMOs touch that approach.
  • The_KorriganThe_Korrigan Member RarePosts: 3,459
    Scot said:

This is a more sandboxy argument, as AC was not a sandbox, but certainly more so than the likes of WoW. For me it depends on how well the sandbox elements are done, sometimes it just seems an excuse for little content. But AC did it well, I also liked AC2 but many were less keen on that one. When it comes to class development, these days developers want everything on rails with little choice, so few MMOs touch that approach.

The character development model has nothing to do with the game being a sandbox or not.

There are even guys who have made a custom server for WoW with classless character development, while keeping the rest of the gameplay (theme park) intact. Won't give the name since custom WoW servers seem frowned upon here, but you can easily find it.
    [Deleted User]
    Respect, walk, what did you say?
    Respect, walk
    Are you talkin' to me? Are you talkin' to me?
    - PANTERA at HELLFEST 2023
    Yes, they are back !

• ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,955
    edited June 2022
    Scot said:

The character development model has nothing to do with the game being a sandbox or not.

There are even guys who have made a custom server for WoW with classless character development, while keeping the rest of the gameplay (theme park) intact. Won't give the name since custom WoW servers seem frowned upon here, but you can easily find it.
    The concept of a sandbox is choice and player input, that of a thempark is taking a ride. So you can mix the elements up as you say, you could have a sandbox with very on the rails class development. But sandbox leans to choice and players doing more for themselves, that's why it fits that theme more, but there is no real reason it has to be that way. The fact MMOs have done this various ways and like the example you stated players have as well, shows how fluid this take on design could be. But we don't see a lot of that unfortunately, more of that sort of mix it up idea would be welcome.
    [Deleted User]
  • UNH0LYEV1LUNH0LYEV1L Member UncommonPosts: 571
    Has anyone played this? There are screenshots on Steam of characters being level 100 but only having 4 skills. Seems ultra shallow if thats the case which is a shame because I love the art style and dark/evil themes this game has.