Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Anime MMOs: Why Aren't There More?

SystemSystem Member UncommonPosts: 12,599
Post edited by StevenWeber on

Comments

• TheIdealistTheIdealist Member UncommonPosts: 45
    A proper dragonball mmo would be a dream!
  • DattelisDattelis Member RarePosts: 1,458
    edited June 2022
    I would probably say because there's only a handful of 'good' anime rpgs that have been fully westernized. Heck, there's even several single-player rpgs turned mmorpgs in the east that never make it over to the west (like Dragon's Dogma Online for example). Also many adopt the 'visual novel' style of story telling whereas I think the western audience likes big flashy cinematics. Edit: Lol I just noticed you used Jump Force as the front picture which further proves my point since it got pulled from steam recently.
    Post edited by Dattelis on
  • TillerTiller Member LegendaryPosts: 11,168
    Robotech would be make a great MMO.
    mklinicRyukaneoloe
    SWG Bloodfin vet
    Elder Jedi/Elder Bounty Hunter

• ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,992
    If we are just defining anime as an art style I see know reason we can't have more MMOs that are "anime". Are the IP holders not putting them forward for a MMO treatment?
  • QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,355
    Because anime is generally Japanese, and while Japanese game developers make a lot of computer games, they make very few MMOs, unless you count mobile gacha games that are largely a contest of who will spend the most money.
  • ultimateduckultimateduck Member EpicPosts: 1,269
    The reality is, the Asian art used in a lot of games is very off-putting for a lot of people. Anime definitely fits into that category.

This is an odd article since most game advertised here have a very Asian are style. For me, this art style is almost always a deal breaker.
    DigDuggy[Deleted User]Sarla
  • SevalaSevala Member UncommonPosts: 220
    I would assume one of the biggest problems with Anime games, is the fact they always try to make people play pre-existing characters. There seems like quite a few IPs that would have made great MMO settings, but they won't just use the setting, they always want to foist their MCs onto players.

For example, as cheesy and cliché as it sounds, your telling me a settings like Sword Art Online, wouldn't make a good setting for an MMO, I mean it is a MMO. They just need to not try to make every player the MC. Maybe have them chilling in background as pointless NPCs, but everyone gets to customize their own toon and just roll. If you were in that Aincrad settings, you've got alot to work with, 100 floors behind raid bosses, outdoor dungeons, traps, etc. Its cliché, but just an example, I mean its an anime about an MMO, so kinda custom tailored that it would make a good setting for an MMO.
    Mendel

~I am Many~

• mklinicmklinic Member RarePosts: 1,981
    Can't really speak to the "Why?", but I'd think any of the long running Anime would be good candidates with plenty of lore to draw from. Some examples:

One Piece (Marines vs Pirates)
    Naruto (Multi-faction conflict via Great Ninja Wars)
    Bleach (Different Captains teams as factions maybe. Not sure if playing Hollows would make sense or not)

Newer ones:
    My Hero Academia (villains vs heroes)
    Black Clover (Different Kingdoms and Knight Squads)

Throwback:
    Robotech/Macross because GIANT ROBOTS!
    Gundam because GIANT ROBOTS and politics!

These are just off the top of my head, but there are a lot of anime, with great stories, that could make for interesting worlds to play in. That said, I left Dragon Ball out because every bad guy seems to become a good guy eventually. So, factions/etc would all come down to when the game would take place in relation to the series.

-mklinic

"Do something right, no one remembers.
    Do something wrong, no one forgets"
    -from No One Remembers by In Strict Confidence

• DigDuggyDigDuggy Member RarePosts: 641
    The reality is, the Asian art used in a lot of games is very off-putting for a lot of people. Anime definitely fits into that category.

This is an odd article since most game advertised here have a very Asian are style. For me, this art style is almost always a deal breaker.
    Anime is definitely off-putting for me.  I don't know why, but it's like nails on a chalk board.
    ultimateduckRyukanIselin[Deleted User]Sarla
  • BootezBootez Member UncommonPosts: 72
    Plz no. It seems like every new game is a big-ol-anime-tiddies fest and it's honestly annoying. I don't want to play an MMO where every female character is literally moaning every time they use an ability. (I'm looking at you, BDO and Lost Ark!)
    Iselin[Deleted User]ultimateduck
  • AeanderAeander Member LegendaryPosts: 7,839
    edited June 2022
    Scot said:
    If we are just defining anime as an art style I see know reason we can't have more MMOs that are "anime". Are the IP holders not putting them forward for a MMO treatment?
    How do you even define anime though?

If you go by the purist definition of "anime is Japanese," you're excluding a lot of content that very obviously is anime (like Avatar: the Last Airbender and Arcane).

If you define anime as an artstyle rather than a regional animation, your definition is still tenuous because anime is not one art style - it's literally thousands of artstyles used to express every genre of content. FMA is not Code Geass is not Monster is not Cowboy Bebop is not Spy x Family is not Death Note and I could continue that list all year. It's why when people say anime art is "bad" or "off-putting," I automatically know they don't know what the fuck they're talking about. Because anime is many things, and at least some of those things WOULD appeal to any one person.

It's not like Western cartoons that are usually made for children, with the cheapest animation budgets imaginable (with characters often intentionally made as ugly as possible).
    kitaradmaskedweasel
  • kitaradkitarad Member LegendaryPosts: 7,919
    It's really off-putting when ignorant comments that just lump everything together from anime which is often based on manga and the Korean ones on their manhwa and the Chinese on their Manhua as one bloody thing.

Each of these have a multitude of styles and fantastic stories that are completely lost on these clueless who must come on a thread and display their ignorance with pride and insult this fabulous medium. 

There is such a lot of rich stories that have been brought to many games be they turn based or action based and strategy just to name a few.

Perhaps the anime makers are wise not to bring it across seeing the type of stereotypical responses that this thread has elicited.

[Deleted User]ultimateduckcheyane

• nyxiumnyxium Member UncommonPosts: 1,345
    Anime and MMO's are mutually exclusive of each other. It's like calling a cat a dog. You can call a cat a dog all you want, but don't expect that cat to bark. You can still be a fan of both cats and dogs though.
  • TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,754
    edited June 2022
    Maybe you can try the one this site is advertising (Queen's Blade) with the young teen girl and her gigantic breasts barely covered?If that isnt anime in a nutshell, I dont know what is.
    ultimateduck
  • maskedweaselmaskedweasel Member LegendaryPosts: 12,180
    Maybe you can try the one this site is advertising (Queen's Blade) with the young teen girl and her gigantic breasts barely covered?If that isnt anime in a nutshell, I dont know what is.
    The anime tropes are certainly a big turn off... well.. I guess to some of us. Obviously the extreme presence of fan service keeps viewers interested, but since I watch a lot of anime is all kind of runs together and there's no meaning to it all. It's such a weird dynamic with the way women are portrayed. 

But... then we have mmos where a female warrior gets by with what amounts to a steel bathing suit, and cosmetics play up all kinds of weird fantasy tropes, so I can't really say it's that much better. 

• AeanderAeander Member LegendaryPosts: 7,839
    That is not anime in a nutshell, and it isn't what fans of anime want representing them, thank you very fucking much.

The highest rated anime of all time is Fullmetal Alchemist, which does NOT engage in that. The most popular anime right now is Spy x Family, a charming family comedy version of Mr. and Mrs. Smith. Which, again, is not that.
    Sensaimaskedweasel
  • AsturiosAsturios Member UncommonPosts: 47

Aeander said:

That is not anime in a nutshell, and it isn't what fans of anime want representing them, thank you very fucking much.

The highest rated anime of all time is Fullmetal Alchemist, which does NOT engage in that. The most popular anime right now is Spy x Family, a charming family comedy version of Mr. and Mrs. Smith. Which, again, is not that.

But you have to atleast admit that MANY MANY ANIMES have those Gigantic Breasts , Less Cloth and Panties shown here and there its a big part of Animes not everyone but there are many especial under the biggest and most know animes even if its not advertised with that thats just the gaming industrie which makes it look like its the only part about anime but still the part is big.

I for my part dont give a fuck what the anime haters say i enjoy them if they dont like them its their thing if they think every anime is the same let them.

You dont have to show ppl that anime can be something else just let them miss out on some very interesting and hearthwarming storys

there is a saying in Germany "Was der Bauer nicht kennt das frisst er nicht" roughly translates to "what the Farmer doesnt know hes not eating" they have their opinion on something so they will not try it.
  • cameltosiscameltosis Member LegendaryPosts: 3,707
    I really don't know much about the anime world, my exposure is mostly limited to Studio Ghibli movies. I've tried a bunch of stuff on Netflix but none of it has grabbed me.

The main thing that always stands out for me is how childish it all seems. That may be a false impression, I admit that, but that is the way it always comes across to me.

Now, there is nothing wrong with being childish. Children deserve good entertainment too. But, as a (nearly) middle-aged man, I rarely have the desire to engage with entertainment aimed at kids. Not never, but that desire is only there maybe one night a month. When I'm in a certain mood, then some bright and colourful anime with light-hearted themes really hits the spot.

MMORPGs generally require a longer term committment than that. They also tend to be quite complex games, so not necessarily best suited to children. Then there is the problem that if the game is aimed at kids, moderation becomes a huge priority. As we've seen, not many companies are willing to invest in good GMs and moderation protocols.
  • HarikenHariken Member EpicPosts: 2,680
    Aura Kingdom is still up and getting new updates still.
  • UwakionnaUwakionna Member RarePosts: 1,139
    edited June 2022
    Kind of a hard thing to really track as there are a number of anime MMOs that just never released globally. Like Dragon Ball Online only ran servers in Korea, Taiwan, and Hong Kong until it eventually shut down.
    [Deleted User]
  • MendelMendel Member LegendaryPosts: 5,609
    To me, anime involves a series of set characters, while MMORPGs don't.  People are free to make their own characters and story in an MMORPG.  An anime needs to follow a certain storyline, i.e., prescribed actions occurring at specific places.  The anime has only a few characters of interest, 90% of the players would want to play One Piece in a One Piece game.  That doesn't always work so well in an MMORPG.

LotRO may be the only exception to the story-game issue.  Given a choice in LotRO, most players would choose to play one of the nine companions.  That limits a game to 9 participants, which immediately disposes it from MMO status.  Having the players as peripheral to the main scripted story of Frodo is about the only satisfactory way to allow multiple players without providing for the possibility of 17,322 Frodos running around.

LotRO accomplishes its magic by presenting a world based on the Tolkien lands, where the actual story of LotR is occurring somewhere in the world.  The world is interesting in and of itself.  There are precious few anime titles where the world has the same level of appeal without the known characters.  Maybe some of the Gundam material, but probably not Attack on Titan, Cowboy Bebop, or One Piece (from anime readily available to the western audience).  Even the oldest anime TV serials like Astroboy would not really make a suitable environment for an MMORPG type game, at least not without a serious amount of Suspension of Disbelief.

cameltosis

Logic, my dear, merely enables one to be wrong with great authority.

• TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,754
    edited June 2022

Dont click the link...I tried to copy the picture in question and instead it takes you to Queens Blade website.....The point is....Too many Anime sexually exploit young girls trying to lure in young boys.
  • losthewarlosthewar Member UncommonPosts: 74
    Let it die.
  • ultimateduckultimateduck Member EpicPosts: 1,269
    Here's what I've figured out so far.

Amine people get really mad if you clump all Asian art forms that are similar to Anime together. Whatever subtle differences there may be is lost on people that aren't into it enough to see the differences.

All I can say for sure is there seems to be a lot of MMOs with a heavily influenced Asian art style that all looks pretty much the same to me. Ridiculous and overly elaborate armor and weapons, horrible styling that makes everyone look like the just left some pride parade (I have no issues with LGBTQ+ people) and really bad overly sexualized costumes in the cash store in case you want to look like a slutty French maid wielding a nine foot long sword. 

I can't stand any of it and will flat out not play what could be a very good game because of it.

olepi
  • WarlyxWarlyx Member EpicPosts: 3,364
    so this article is and ad in disguise or just feels like that?