Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Overwatch 2 is Going Free to Play, Headed Our Way October 4th 2022

SystemSystem Member UncommonPosts: 12,599
edited June 2022 in Videos Discussion
Post edited by StevenWeber on

Comments

• ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,966
    edited June 2022
    "If you’re an Overwatch fan then you’ll be delighted to hear that Overwatch 2, will be launching on October 4 with a free-to-play model."

I nearly choked on my coffee.

My commiserations go out to any players who thought there would at least be a small pay wall between themselves and the hangers on. ;)
  • SaruomoSaruomo Member UncommonPosts: 140
    They removed the PVE part of the game that was the real source of the hype. I’m good.
    Dattelis
  • ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,966
    edited June 2022

Saruomo said:

They removed the PVE part of the game that was the real source of the hype. I’m good.

Really? Not been following it, they put in a whole PvE section then removed it? That sounds like an enormous waste of resources?
  • XiaokiXiaoki Member EpicPosts: 3,849

Scot said:

Saruomo said:

Really? Not been following it, they put in a whole PvE section then removed it? That sounds like an enormous waste of resources?

It was delayed to next year.

The PvE expansion and PvP were separated because the PvE stuff was taking too long and they need something out now.

OW1 had very fair loot boxes that could easily be gained through normal gameplay but in OW2 that will be replaced with cosmetics for real money and Battle passes.

Oh well, nice knowing ya Overwatch.
    DattelisScoteoloePetitSoldatValdheimachesomaLTBKJeroKane
  • The_KorriganThe_Korrigan Member RarePosts: 3,459
    I hope it's not "Look guys, Diablo Immoral is getting us tons of money, let's apply the same kind of pay2win cash shop to Overwatch II" !
    TheocritusPetitSoldatValdheim
    Respect, walk, what did you say?
    Respect, walk
    Are you talkin' to me? Are you talkin' to me?
    - PANTERA at HELLFEST 2023
    Yes, they are back !

• TalraekkTalraekk Member UncommonPosts: 260
    Overwatch 1 had huge issues. I don't know if there were bots at all, but I recall playing the TUTORIAL and mid hand holding getting kicked for reading the rules. In my own tutorial. Never went back.
  • olepiolepi Member EpicPosts: 2,829
    Undefined comment.
    eoloe

------------
    2024: 47 years on the Net.

• MensurMensur Member EpicPosts: 1,513
    We all know what this means. Game flopped hard. They get what they deserve.
    eoloe

mmorpg junkie since 1999

• The_KorriganThe_Korrigan Member RarePosts: 3,459

Mensur said:

We all know what this means. Game flopped hard. They get what they deserve.

It's not released yet... and Overwatch, the first, is a smashing success.
    eoloe
    Respect, walk, what did you say?
    Respect, walk
    Are you talkin' to me? Are you talkin' to me?
    - PANTERA at HELLFEST 2023
    Yes, they are back !

• SpiiderSpiider Member RarePosts: 1,135
    Its OVER as no one is WATCHing it any more.
    eoloe

No fate but what we make, so make me a ham sandwich please.

• DattelisDattelis Member RarePosts: 1,457
    edited June 2022
    Admittedly, I have not played OW1 in some time and only OW2 on my radar due to the PvE element (which seems to be delayed unfortunately). Have they said that you can freely swap heroes during a match in OW2? If so, then I wonder if they'll offer some kind of 'hero bundle' or something that many of these games do, but even so, f2p might be bad for if the hero swap remains. And honestly it has me a bit more concerned for the PvE the more I think about it since no one really knows how it'll all work out (like progress and if there's paid advantages now that will be f2p).
  • rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722
    I was looking forward to the PVE, not the PVP. I love the characaters in OW but I always hated how they force each character into a trinity role in PvP as if it was an mmorpg dungeon. That alone put me off completely.

• KratierKratier Member RarePosts: 626
    i still play this game regularly, i do the match for 1 loot box and get in and out, and its shoot and sweet.

i hope we get more mini game style modes, and less epeen esports tryhard stuff. rainbow 6 siege is what happens when you lean too hard into esports
    Valdheim
  • DattelisDattelis Member RarePosts: 1,457
    I was looking forward to the PVE, not the PVP. I love the characaters in OW but I always hated how they force each character into a trinity role in PvP as if it was an mmorpg dungeon. That alone put me off completely.

Not really that surprising since that's kind of how WoW's pvp works and they honestly had no idea how typical hero shooters work until this title.
  • ValdheimValdheim Member RarePosts: 614
    Are we talking Diablo Immortal 'free to play' or Warframe/Path of Exile 'free to play' because there's about 100k$ between them ;-)

Honestly if it's only cosmetics that you can buy directly it would be fine as long as you can still earn your boxes at the same pace as in OW1 but a battlepass is already a huge turn off for me and with free 2 play comes the bots and friendly League of Legends community.
    Trying to stay positive but I'm slowly reaching my limits here
  • user298user298 Member UncommonPosts: 152
    edited June 2022
    Too bad this game is still too focused on "e-sports" players and toxic tryhards instead of trying to attract more casual players by providing more relaxing PvP gameplay modes with more people per team (like TF2's 16vs16 team sizes). Blizzard could've sold much more cosmetics if they would've tried doing this. Oh well, it's their loss.
  • TheDalaiBombaTheDalaiBomba Member EpicPosts: 1,493
    edited June 2022
    Torval said:
    I wonder if the choice to F2P has anything to do with the lukewarm reception it's seen by Overwatch players on social media.
    I had my fun with OW, but it really felt as much like an alternate universe TF2 as it did a unique Blizzard title and IP.  Then they stopped adding heroes and much in the way of content while working on OW2, which has been delayed repeatedly while the content drought in OW continued.

Hard to get excited for it.  And, with space between both my time with TF2 and OW.....  I honestly think Valve's "hero shooter" was very much the better design.  The Spy alone is a much cooler kit than anything in OW.  The Heavy, with his boxing gloves and sandwich...  It was all just cleverly designed and well implemented (until the weapon counts started getting super-bloated).

And Valve created far more enjoyable personalities.  The way the Pyro sees the world through his mask, the rivalry between the Sniper and the Spy, etc..
    [Deleted User]
  • achesomaachesoma Member RarePosts: 1,726
    I'll just patiently wait for the PvE expansion. From what I remember it seemed to have some really cool features separate from the pvp version like talent tree customization options and co-op hero mission stories. The pvp is fine but I got burnt out since played the hell out of OW in its first year or so. Pvp can just get too repetitive.
    [Deleted User]
    Preaching Pantheon to People at PAX  PAX East 2018 Day 4 - YouTube
  • WordsworthWordsworth Member UncommonPosts: 166
    Biggest mistake in my opinion was forcing this really fun casual shooter into the e-sports scene. You can't have this large variety of gameplay styles and then make one game that's balanced and fun for pros, casuals, premades, and solo players at the same time.
    user298[Deleted User]