Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Q1 2022 State of The "Game" Update released

Slapshot1188Slapshot1188 Member LegendaryPosts: 16,983

All time classic  MY NEW FAVORITE POST!  (Keep laying those bricks)

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

Proudly wearing the Harbinger badge since Dec 23, 2017. 

Coined the phrase "Role-Playing a Development Team" January 2018

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

Comments

• AnOldFartAnOldFart Member RarePosts: 562
    I read a sentence then just thought... Er no...
    Slapshot1188
  • MendelMendel Member LegendaryPosts: 5,609
    If ever a project needed the label of "some assembly required", this has to be it.

Logic, my dear, merely enables one to be wrong with great authority.

• YashaXYashaX Member EpicPosts: 3,098
    I don't get it, he says in the update that they wrote the "Soulbound Engine" in javascript??? This whole mmo was originally going to be written in javascript? 

"ongoing migration work; porting previously implemented functionality from our Node.js/TypeScript implementation of the Soulbound Engine to the .NET/C# implementation, which will be replacing the previous version in both KoE and CoE."
  • QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,353
    YashaX said:
    I don't get it, he says in the update that they wrote the "Soulbound Engine" in javascript??? This whole mmo was originally going to be written in javascript? 

"ongoing migration work; porting previously implemented functionality from our Node.js/TypeScript implementation of the Soulbound Engine to the .NET/C# implementation, which will be replacing the previous version in both KoE and CoE."
    Wow.  That sounds like a single, not necessarily competent hobbyist tinkering around with something in his free time.  Not that there's anything wrong with hobbyists tinkering around in their free time.  Sometimes such people can make something cool, and even if they don't, it can be a nice learning experience that can pay off later in life.  There's nothing wrong with working on something that ends up being vaporware if you never took money from others promising to deliver a game for it.

But that's what you do on a budget that is $0 or nearly so, not $8 million.  So what happened to that $8 million in funding that the game burned through?  He literally has nothing to show for it and is basically starting over on a $0 budget.

A lot of failed projects an be explained by developer incompetence.  But then you at least have a buggy mess of a game that is wildly incomplete to show for the money you spent.  That CoE doesn't even have that and is basically starting over on a $0 budget sure sounds like criminal fraud to me.
    YashaXSlapshot1188NildenMendelLackingMMO
  • Slapshot1188Slapshot1188 Member LegendaryPosts: 16,983
    AnOldFart said:
    You still playing RPGs on that community discord?  Do they have any for beginners (as in.. not played an actual RPG in decades)?

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498
    YashaX said:

Never try to make sense of "Jeromyspeak", mostly just a mass of techno BS and nonsense meant to confuse the rubes.

Slapshot1188Phaserlight

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• YashaXYashaX Member EpicPosts: 3,098
    Quizzical said:
    YashaX said:

But that's what you do on a budget that is $0 or nearly so, not $8 million.  So what happened to that $8 million in funding that the game burned through?  He literally has nothing to show for it and is basically starting over on a $0 budget.

I do really like some of the design on their website - the background art, the logo, the font, that kind of parchment look for the blog posts. I wonder who did all that?

Also there are some great quotes on the webpage like: "Chronicles of Elyria is receiving rave reviews from fans and critics alike! MMOGames says, "Chronicles of Elyria may just be the best MMORPG to come out in years." MMORPG.com says, "this is the new MMORPG experience you've been craving.""

• NildenNilden Member EpicPosts: 3,916
    Quizzical said:
    YashaX said:

Wow.  That sounds like a single, not necessarily competent hobbyist tinkering around with something in his free time.  Not that there's anything wrong with hobbyists tinkering around in their free time.  Sometimes such people can make something cool, and even if they don't, it can be a nice learning experience that can pay off later in life.  There's nothing wrong with working on something that ends up being vaporware if you never took money from others promising to deliver a game for it.

A lot of failed projects an be explained by developer incompetence.  But then you at least have a buggy mess of a game that is wildly incomplete to show for the money you spent.  That CoE doesn't even have that and is basically starting over on a $0 budget sure sounds like criminal fraud to me.
    I know for a fact reading your posts over these many years you could make more of a game than this utter hack. They couldn't even make a MUD for crying out loud. I'm a hobby programmer/modder and I could make a MUD.

It's way beyond incompetence.

8 million dollars. Absolute fraud.
    Mendel

"You CAN'T buy ships for RL money." - MaxBacon

"classification of games into MMOs is not by rational reasoning" - nariusseldon

Love Minecraft. And check out my Youtube channel OhCanadaGamer

Try a MUD today at http://www.mudconnect.com/ 

• AnOldFartAnOldFart Member RarePosts: 562
    AnOldFart said:
    You still playing RPGs on that community discord?  Do they have any for beginners (as in.. not played an actual RPG in decades)?
    Sorry just come back to this.

No I've stopped playing online due to issues.
    Just started a new game in my local hobby shop
    Slapshot1188Kyleran
  • TillerTiller Member LegendaryPosts: 11,163
    I remember a time when some posters here thought this would be the next big thing. What I read early on about it told me it would be a flop, if it even gets made and actually launches. I got some heat for it. I don't know where those guys are now that talked all that smack, but I doubt they are anticipating this anymore.
    MendelPhaserlight
    SWG Bloodfin vet
    Elder Jedi/Elder Bounty Hunter

In what surely must come as a total shock to those playing along from home... Caspien apparently has been bedridden for weeks with "covid" and unable to do much, thus he won't quite hit his milestones... (even the ones that past already)

In reality I suppose it's pretty hard to tell the difference between the progress he makes normally and the "covid" impact.

My money is on "long covid" next.  Or Monkeypox

Kyleran

• LackingMMOLackingMMO Member RarePosts: 664
    I actually forgot he was still pretending to make this game. I'll just continue to forget now.
    Phaserlight
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498
    In what surely must come as a total shock to those playing along from home... Caspien apparently has been bedridden for weeks with "covid" and unable to do much, thus he won't quite hit his milestones... (even the ones that past already)

In reality I suppose it's pretty hard to tell the difference between the progress he makes normally and the "covid" impact.

Yeah, but what about his "team?" Couldn't they keep things moving forward in his absence.

:D 

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

Kyleran said:

Yeah, but what about his "team?" Couldn't they keep things moving forward in his absence.

:D 

Maybe “they” all got “Covid”? 

Kyleran

• olepiolepi Member EpicPosts: 2,828
    Isn't this all just a show to pretend he's still developing a game? To avoid the lawsuits?
    MendelScot

------------
    2024: 47 years on the Net.

• MendelMendel Member LegendaryPosts: 5,609
    olepi said:
    Isn't this all just a show to pretend he's still developing a game? To avoid the lawsuits?

That's how it appears from the outside.  I don't think the conclusion would be any different from the inside.

Kyleran

Logic, my dear, merely enables one to be wrong with great authority.