Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

V Rising Continues Its Success, Now Marks 1.5 Million Copies Sold Since Early Access Launch

SystemSystem Member UncommonPosts: 12,599

Comments

• ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,971
    I have to say they do seem to have the right approach to this, players will be clamouring but what they need to do is take a step back and take stock of of how to go forward. The problem is players who have paid for an EA will not stop clamoring that's what you get for charging for a beta.
    Kyleran
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,505
    I want to know if it will ever be formally released, or stay in perpetual EA with progress slowing as often seems to happen with these sorts of games?
    McSleaz

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• GlacianNexGlacianNex Member UncommonPosts: 652

Kyleran said:

I want to know if it will ever be formally released, or stay in perpetual EA with progress slowing as often seems to happen with these sorts of games?

Valheim, Satisfactory, Ready or Not, and countless others never left early access yet millions of people spent hundreds (and sometimes thousands) of hours in the game work enjoying it. Does it really matter if it officially leaves "early access" if people enjoy the game?

Some games enter early access in a better state than some release titles (and naturally vice versa). My point is, leaving "early access" is a very poor indicator of quality or amount of content game has.
    KidRisk[Deleted User]BabuinixultimateduckMcSleazBrainy
  • TheDalaiBombaTheDalaiBomba Member EpicPosts: 1,493

Kyleran said:

Valheim, Satisfactory, Ready or Not, and countless others never left early access yet millions of people spent hundreds (and sometimes thousands) of hours in the game work enjoying it. Does it really matter if it officially leaves "early access" if people enjoy the game?

Some games enter early access in a better state than some release titles (and naturally vice versa). My point is, leaving "early access" is a very poor indicator of quality or amount of content game has.
    Yes, because by your own explanation, the only real benefit to Early Access is to give devs excuse room.

It also does nothing to benefit those titles whose quality would catapult them to the top regardless of the EA label or not.  Nobody bought Valheim because it was EA; they bought it because they were told or read or heard it seemed fun.

It's become a crutch and nothing more.  A crutch that does nothing but enable poor games to putter along until abandoned.
    [Deleted User]McSleaz
  • Pher0ciousPher0cious Member RarePosts: 487

Kyleran said:

You sound like a Star Citizen backer
    McSleaz
    ('''\( ',.:.,' )/''')
  • RidrithRidrith Member RarePosts: 808
    I'm indifferent to Early Access titles or not at this point. I honest to god don't care if they launch in EA, because if they look fun, they're fun. You have a two-hour window to figure out if what is currently on the table is fun enough to actually play it. If it isn't. Refund. If it is, great. Play it and keep playing it until you get bored. Hope it gets updated and continues along with additional content.

Treat every Early Access game as a fully released game, and you won't have any problems. If the foundation isn't fun, nothing else in the game will be. As for being a "crutch"... Oh well. Plenty of shit games get released every day without the Early Access title attached to them. I'll let the fun ones that stand out have that crutch.
    [Deleted User]ultimateduckBabuinixBrainy
    I like to complain about games.
  • GlacianNexGlacianNex Member UncommonPosts: 652

Kyleran said:

You sound like a Star Citizen backer

Kyleran said:

Yes, because by your own explanation, the only real benefit to Early Access is to give devs excuse room.

It also does nothing to benefit those titles whose quality would catapult them to the top regardless of the EA label or not.  Nobody bought Valheim because it was EA; they bought it because they were told or read or heard it seemed fun.

It's become a crutch and nothing more.  A crutch that does nothing but enable poor games to putter along until abandoned.

It does it for some, but not for others.

Look at BG3; when it first hit EA it was very barebones. However what it had was good. Now almost 2 years later it is actually full of content.

EA indicates to people that what they get is an incomplete experience; and thus should be treated more of a "buy at your own risk".
    McSleaz
  • bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838
    edited May 2022
    Kyleran said:
    The thought these days is that developers have the ability to continually update the game, where as when you started, after they shipped the cassette tape, it became "released".
    ultimateduckeoloeMcSleazScot[Deleted User]
    "We see fundamentals and we ape in"
  • ultimateduckultimateduck Member EpicPosts: 1,269

bcbully said:

Kyleran said:

The thought these days is that developers have the ability to continually update the game, where as when you started, after they shipped the cassette tape, it became "released".

Is it sad that I remember games on cassette and 5.25 floppy disk? Hell, I remember games that gave you a program to manually type into your computer before you could play.
    bcbullyAsm0deusScot[Deleted User]
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,505
    edited May 2022

Kyleran said:

To me at least, it really matters, just a personal thing and I never let what the masses (with their clearly lower standards) do influence my decisions on gaming, or in life really.

I bought 7 Days to Die on a big Steam sale like 4 or 5 years ago, set it aside to play once the game finally releases.

Still waiting....

Me on my high horse

YashaX[Deleted User]McSleazScotkitarad

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• eoloeeoloe Member RarePosts: 864
    Kyleran said:

I bought 7 Days to Die on a big Steam sale like 4 or 5 years ago, set it aside to play once the game finally releases.

Still waiting....

Me on my high horse

Well, to play C2077 I waited 1 full year AFTER release B)
    [Deleted User]Kyleran
  • TokkenTokken Member EpicPosts: 3,551
    I'm enjoying V rising alot. Glad i bought in early.

I loved 7 days to die as well HIGH Horse man!
    Kyleran

Proud MMORPG.com member since March 2004!  Make PvE GREAT Again!

• SandmanjwSandmanjw Member RarePosts: 527
    Kyleran said:

To me at least, it really matters, just a personal thing and I never let what the masses (with their clearly lower standards) do influence my decisions on gaming, or in life really.

Still waiting....

Me on my high horse

It really does matter quite a bit.

Anyone that bothers to read the EA disclaimer/legal jargon, would realize that they have zero options if one day the devs decide to drop a patch to make the game unplayable,

Games that have "released" have a duty to be at least marginally playable, or customers  have SOME legal option they might be able to pursue. Totally not the case with ANY EA game.

Granted that not many would bother....but that EA title covers the dev's completely.
    McSleazDattelis
  • bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838
    edited June 2022

bcbully said:

Kyleran said:

Is it sad that I remember games on cassette and 5.25 floppy disk? Hell, I remember games that gave you a program to manually type into your computer before you could play.
    I too remember my friend ;)
    [Deleted User]
    "We see fundamentals and we ape in"
  • DattelisDattelis Member RarePosts: 1,457
    edited June 2022
    Sandmanjw said:
    Kyleran said:

Still waiting....

Me on my high horse

It really does matter quite a bit.

Anyone that bothers to read the EA disclaimer/legal jargon, would realize that they have zero options if one day the devs decide to drop a patch to make the game unplayable,

Games that have "released" have a duty to be at least marginally playable, or customers  have SOME legal option they might be able to pursue. Totally not the case with ANY EA game.

Granted that not many would bother....but that EA title covers the dev's completely.

This reminds me of what happened to the game Dark and Light that went into early access in 2017 (and is still in Early Access, yet hasn't received any updates in about 2020, I think they officially sent notice that they were abandoning it or something).
    Post edited by Dattelis on
    Scot
  • HerithiusHerithius Member UncommonPosts: 219
    I don't get the concern of whether it leaves Early Access or not. If you have a $20 game that provides dozens of enjoyable hours then isn't that good enough?
    Babuinix[Deleted User]
  • ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,971
    edited June 2022

Kyleran said:

Early access is a change in the way games are developed, marketed and sold, it has and will change over time and so far we have seen it change for the worse. Indeed every new way of marketing and obtaining revenue in gaming has over the years seen a change for the worse. With that in mind some examples of where companies have done this the right way means little.

Where you are right is the launch itself had become not as good an indicator of quality as it used to be, BC alludes above how that started with the internet. Once games could be patched online companies did not feel the need to get them as launch ready as they used to. That laxity for launch increased over the years until you had fiascos like EA's Railway Tycoon launch.

Early access has moved the goal posts on what was already a problematic area for players, namely when is the game ready to play? We should as a customer be able to expect the best product for our money, you don't buy half built mobiles and cars do you? I notice as well that apologists for early access are changing their reasons for why early access is fine. We used to hear about how it is essential for the game to be developed "we would not even get a launch" is what we used to be told. Now we are being told "well if players are enjoying it isn't that aright?"

I am really not sure what studios now have to do for players to realise they are being taken for a ride. If a gaming studio offered a half built real world glider to players, would they buy it and jump of a cliff? Maybe.

After all that I have great hopes for this game, we are taking a pot shot at early access here, not V Rising.