Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

"The metaverse is bullshit" - PCGAMER

Comments

• bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838
    18 hours ago
    Scot
    "We see fundamentals and we ape in"
  • ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,992
    edited May 2022
    I remember when people started talking about the Cloud, I thought I was missing something. "This is just using the internet in the way it always has been but it's just more joined up"? The metaverse is this all over again, platforms will be more joined up, you will have more games in one "setting" which you already get in so many different ways like a game pass, communication functionality will be increased. More of the same, will it be better, maybe, but it will definitely not be revolutionary. 
    Post edited by Scot on
    KaliGold
  • AAAMEOWAAAMEOW Member RarePosts: 1,605
    Scot said:
    I remember when people started talking about the Cloud, I thought I was missing something. "This is just using the internet in the way it always has been but it's just more joined up"? The metaverse is this all over again, platforms will be more joined up, you will have more games in one "setting" which you already get in so many different ways like a game pass, communication functionality will be increased. More of the same, will it be better, maybe, but it is definitely not be revolutionary. 

Cloud is probably another way of saying computer server managed by a 3rd party.  But it sound much better using a buzz word.

I just don't see metaverse popular in the short term.  If people really want something realistic they can just go outside.  
    [Deleted User]
  • OldKingLogOldKingLog Member RarePosts: 567
    All I'm seeing when the so called "movers and shakers" try to define their little pipe dream is a Virtual Mega Mall.
    edited May 2022
    Scot said:
    I remember when people started talking about the Cloud, I thought I was missing something. "This is just using the internet in the way it always has been but it's just more joined up"? The metaverse is this all over again, platforms will be more joined up, you will have more games in one "setting" which you already get in so many different ways like a game pass, communication functionality will be increased. More of the same, will it be better, maybe, but it will definitely not be revolutionary. 
    Possibly but more decentralized. Developers small and large using a common infrastucture to transmit data in a permissionless manner. 

DeFi is a good example of this. Developers build Dapps on top of a chain and all resources on that chain are availible to them. Sushiswap can use Uniswap tokens, Uniswap can use Aave, Aave can use Balancer and so on.

The backend has been built. The front end is what will continue to emerge of the coming years.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    edited May 2022
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • ChildoftheShadowsChildoftheShadows Member EpicPosts: 2,193
    bcbully said:
    Scot said:
    Possibly but more decentralized. Developers small and large using a common infrastucture to transmit data in a permissionless manner. 

DeFi is a good example of this. Developers build Dapps on top of a chain and all resources on that chain are availible to them. Sushiswap can use Uniswap tokens, Uniswap can use Aave, Aave can use Balancer and so on.

The backend has been built. The front end is what will continue to emerge of the coming years.
    The backend still has a shitload of problems and is far from actually being decentralized. Take Ethereum as an example. It is still controlled by an entity and changes are still being made. That is not decentralized. Same for the rest of them.

Opensea and metamask have banned countries from using them. Nothing decentralized about that.

Transactions have been reversed on many of them. Nothing decentralized about that.

With the exception of Bitcoin, I have yet to see a truly decentralized crypto.
    Scot
  • ChildoftheShadowsChildoftheShadows Member EpicPosts: 2,193
    The web is already decentralized.
    [Deleted User]
  • OldKingLogOldKingLog Member RarePosts: 567
    edited May 2022
    Wargfoot said:
    All I'm seeing when the so called "movers and shakers" try to define their little pipe dream is a Virtual Mega Mall.
    It is like creating a hip club or bar and then selling the clothes that you're allowed to wear in that club.  Seems like a big pose-fest, but then some people are into that sort of thing.  

To me, storing the fact I spent $200 on a virtual T-shirt sounds like the sort of thing that would be pulled up on judgement day to send me straight to hell.  I wouldn't want a record of that out on the cloud.

Well of course. It all boils down to follow the money. Social media giants thrived via selling advertisement space so those companies could jam those adds down the social media user's throats. Now they want to create a virtual umbrella corp where every company, participant, and service is monitored and taxed. Want to set up a venue on virtual boulevard? Pay a fee. Want to visit a venue? Pay a fee. Its not about creating a virtual word experience. Its about controlling and monetizing every facet of the experience.
    bcbully
  • VrikaVrika Member LegendaryPosts: 7,888
    Vrika said:
    But people have learned this past couple weeks that algorithmic stable coins are not a solid way to handle virtual finances. Asset-backed stable coins on the other hand, are. The FDIC is actually looking into some of these asset backed coins to become FDIC insured in the future. 
    False.

What we learned was that one algorithmic stable coin collapsed. It doesn't magically mean all assets backed stable coins would be solid.

Also FDIC looking into insuring some of the asset backed coins doesn't mean they'd be safe either. They might well become safe (enough) the moment a good enough FDIC insurance deal comes into effect, but just like all insurances you aren't secure before you're actually insured.

Well, multiple algorithmic stable coins lost their peg, which is more than just one. None of the asset backed coins did. They didn't even lose their peg, because there's no reason they should, unless the assets themselves fluctuated.

Fdic looking into insuring the coins doesn't mean that stable coins aren't insured in other ways.  But so many believe fdic backing instills confidence so that's why projects like usdf exist.  
    As you said, there wasn't a reason for asset coins collapse because their assets didn't lose value.

Ergo, we don't know whether they will collapse when first recession hits their assets.
    maskedweasel[Deleted User]

• WordsworthWordsworth Member UncommonPosts: 166
    edited May 2022
    bcbully said:
    18 hours ago
    Good story.  I like this one, too!

maskedweaselIselin
  • UngoodUngood Member LegendaryPosts: 7,532
    Metaverse.. because sucking in one reality is not enough.. you can now suck in two.
    TheDalaiBombabcbully
    Egotism is the anesthetic that dullens the pain of stupidity, this is why when I try to beat my head against the stupidity of other people, I only hurt myself.

• IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    bcbully said:
    18 hours ago
    Good story.  I like this one, too!

230 years ago (you might have missed it if you get all your news from twitter trends or crypto sites)

AmarantharMendel
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

Imagine getting news from CNN, FOX, and MSNBC. The news paper?
    bcbully said:
    Imagine not. When will people realise that daily news feeds are to journalism what an advert is to a product?
  • TheDalaiBombaTheDalaiBomba Member EpicPosts: 1,493
    bcbully said:
    The newspapers were increasingly becoming indistinguishable from the CNNs and FOXs:

https://www.usnewsdeserts.com/reports/expanding-news-desert/loss-of-local-news/bigger-and-bigger-they-grow/

Then, the pandemic happened, and it became a bloodbath:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.cnbc.com/amp/2021/06/11/how-hedge-funds-took-over-americas-struggling-newspaper-industry-.html

Ad revenue down 30% YoY from 2019 to 2020.  100 newspapers closed per year on average since 2004.

What's left?  The big boys: New York Times, Wall Street Journal, and hedge funds that own "independent" newspapers.  Ghost newspapers, as they call those.  News deserts have grown across the country, which is no surprise to anyone paying attention to politics across the country.  Ignorance of basic facts of reality runs rampant.

This all also undoubtedly contributes to the cult-like levels of devotion we see both for and against almost every social issue today.  May we live in interesting times, indeed.
    Mendelbcbully
  • MendelMendel Member LegendaryPosts: 5,609
    bcbully said:
    The newspapers were increasingly becoming indistinguishable from the CNNs and FOXs:

https://www.usnewsdeserts.com/reports/expanding-news-desert/loss-of-local-news/bigger-and-bigger-they-grow/

Then, the pandemic happened, and it became a bloodbath:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.cnbc.com/amp/2021/06/11/how-hedge-funds-took-over-americas-struggling-newspaper-industry-.html

Ad revenue down 30% YoY from 2019 to 2020.  100 newspapers closed per year on average since 2004.

What's left?  The big boys: New York Times, Wall Street Journal, and hedge funds that own "independent" newspapers.  Ghost newspapers, as they call those.  News deserts have grown across the country, which is no surprise to anyone paying attention to politics across the country.  Ignorance of basic facts of reality runs rampant.

This all also undoubtedly contributes to the cult-like levels of devotion we see both for and against almost every social issue today.  May we live in interesting times, indeed.

News organizations are less about the journalism, and more about the advertising.  Kinda makes you think that journalism is a dying art form.

There are at least two kinds of 'interesting times', the good ones and the not-so-good ones.  Somehow that's never mentioned.  When philosophers said, "May you live in interesting times" was that supposed to be comforting or a curse?

Logic, my dear, merely enables one to be wrong with great authority.

• DigDuggyDigDuggy Member RarePosts: 641
    I hope it works out.  Can you imagine the quality of life improvements for older people who can't get around anymore.  They would be virtually liberated.  For that reason alone, people should hope for it not to be Bullshit.

bcbully[Deleted User]
  • DjijinDjijin Member UncommonPosts: 108
    edited May 2022
    Globalism is the attempt at non-elected, central control.

Metaverse (and most social media services) is a corporation's attempt at controlling the internet.

It's always been dystopian. You are just tricked into believing different definitions. Our modern times are our grandparent's dystopia. This is always true, because this is always the direction a society moves toward as it grows over time .. until force is required to change it's direction.

Dystopian stories were never "what if's", they were always "this is where we are headed". They are warnings. They are reminders to us to stay vigilant. 

There is no such thing as Times of Peace, there is only time between wars. It's the so called peace time that builds to wars, because we forget what it took to obtain peace.

Our state of the world right now is because our governments brought us to this point. If you investigate why eastern Europe is in the state it's in, I mean investigate all players over the last 30+ years, you will find that one side didn't cause this mess. It's deep. There's always a backstory, and the media won't tell you it due to bias.

Amaranthar
  • MMOExposedMMOExposed Member RarePosts: 7,387
    Tiller said:
    Remember when a Metaverse was called an sandbox MMORPG?
    Second Life. But now with Full VR

Philosophy of MMO Game Design

• AdamantineAdamantine Member RarePosts: 5,085
    I dont think the Metaverse has anything to do with globalism except in the most general terms.

The Metaverse is just what Facebook came up with when it became clear to them that people started leaving their platform.

Theocritus
  • AmarantharAmaranthar Member EpicPosts: 5,801
    Djijin said:
    Globalism is the attempt at non-elected, central control.

Metaverse (and most social media services) is a corporation's attempt at controlling the internet.

It's always been dystopian. You are just tricked into believing different definitions. Our modern times are our grandparent's dystopia. This is always true, because this is always the direction a society moves toward as it grows over time .. until force is required to change it's direction.

Dystopian stories were never "what if's", they were always "this is where we are headed". They are warnings. They are reminders to us to stay vigilant. 

There is no such thing as Times of Peace, there is only time between wars. It's the so called peace time that builds to wars, because we forget what it took to obtain peace.

Our state of the world right now is because our governments brought us to this point. If you investigate why eastern Europe is in the state it's in, I mean investigate all players over the last 30+ years, you will find that one side didn't cause this mess. It's deep. There's always a backstory, and the media won't tell you it due to bias.

I pretty much agree with you. It's a scary thing, but when people start forgetting the lessons from wars, they start making the same damn mistakes again. 
    And reliance on government to fix the world's woes brings big governments that want more controls.
    They say: "It's for the greater good, so give up your rights and pay your taxes so we can make it better (mess it up royally with the vast bureaucracy of a thousand nails)." 

Eventually they stop asking for your sacrifices, and just make you. 
    ChildoftheShadowsMendel

Once upon a time....

I dont think the Metaverse has anything to do with globalism except in the most general terms.

The Metaverse is just what Facebook came up with when it became clear to them that people started leaving their platform.

Facebook did come up with it... They are bandwagoning Decentraland, The Sandbox, NFTworlds, Arcane Lands etc, Web3 projects.
  • AmarantharAmaranthar Member EpicPosts: 5,801
    edited May 2022

The Metaverse is a monopoly. 
    Some people think that it's more of a massive democratic structure, but it won't end up that way because there will be power players within it. The big tech giants. 
    And we've seen how they have been limiting access to those they don't approve of. 
    We've seen that, and the blowback that's come about, only because there is no "Metaverse" to prevent it from being seen. 
    Scotbcbully[Deleted User]

Once upon a time....

edited May 2022

The Metaverse is a monopoly. 
    Some people think that it's more of a massive democratic structure, but it won't end up that way because there will be power players within it. The big tech giants. 
    And we've seen how they have been limiting access to those they don't approve of. 
    We've seen that, and the blowback that's come about, only because there is no "Metaverse" to prevent it from being seen. 
    When I first went online in 97 we discussed in various "forums" how international and democratic the internet was going to be. The little guy's were producing content and you were checking that out as much as anything from a company. As the Metaverse is just the internet with some more dots connected this will certainly not be democratic.

But the internet did make the world a more international place, in both good ways and bad, but that's more communication for you, it does not lead to a utopia.
    Amaranthar[Deleted User]