Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Lumberyard Engine

NorseGodNorseGod Member EpicPosts: 2,654
edited March 2022 in General Gaming
Just curious, incase anyone makes a Netflix documentary.

Who at AGS signed off on Lumberyard?

Who at AGS thought Lumberyard (Crytek knockoff) was an MMO engine?

Who at AGS thought 2,000 player limit per server counts as "Massive" in Massive Multi-player Online?

Who at AGS is keeping an eye on John Smedley?

Nobody knew it was doomed for failure? Really?

Seriously. After reading about all the problems, who actually believed Lumberyard was a good engine? Don't be shy.
To talk about games without the censorship, check out https://www.reddit.com/r/MMORPG/
BLNX

Comments

• CleffyCleffy Member RarePosts: 6,412
    edited March 2022
    The only 2 good mmo engines out of the box are the Hero Engine and BigWorld Engine. San Diego is known for great net coders, so taking a different engine that offers more modern features and using it as a base for an mmo is well within their wheelhouse. 
  • TillerTiller Member LegendaryPosts: 11,164
    edited March 2022
    Cleffy said:
    The only 2 good mmo engines out of the box are the Hero Engine and BigWorld Engine. San Diego is known for great net coders, so taking a different engine that offers more modern features and using it as a base for an mmo is well within their wheelhouse. 
    HeroEngine was and still is garbage. There is reason only indie devs would use it. SWTOR runs on a modified version, but there were limitations that still persist today.

ZOS says they used HE in ESO for their whiteboard...but I think they also use a modified version built off HE and rebranded it because for legal and embarrassment reasons. In fact they have locked threads on their forums for discussing it.

SWG Bloodfin vet
    Elder Jedi/Elder Bounty Hunter

• Ulrick28Ulrick28 Member UncommonPosts: 73
    edited April 2022
    There is also now O3DE, which is for all intents and purposes the successor to Lumberyard. We are releasing our next version on May 12th, 2022. This engine is still maturing but as an open source project it is maturing fairly rapidly. 

I will admit some bias here as I am a team member for both Lumberyard and O3DE.
  • ChildoftheShadowsChildoftheShadows Member EpicPosts: 2,193
    edited May 2022
    NorseGod said:
    Just curious, incase anyone makes a Netflix documentary.

Who at AGS signed off on Lumberyard?

Who at AGS thought Lumberyard (Crytek knockoff) was an MMO engine?

Who at AGS thought 2,000 player limit per server counts as "Massive" in Massive Multi-player Online?

Who at AGS is keeping an eye on John Smedley?

Nobody knew it was doomed for failure? Really?

Seriously. After reading about all the problems, who actually believed Lumberyard was a good engine? Don't be shy.
    it's not a knockoff, it's a branch of cryengine that was purchased. 
    2000 players is nothing to snuff at.
    "doomed to failure", I guess that depends on your definition of failure.
    It's not a bad engine, you're judging what AGS did is all.
  • eoloeeoloe Member RarePosts: 864
    Ulrick28 said:
    There is also now O3DE, which is for all intents and purposes the successor to Lumberyard. We are releasing our next version on May 12th, 2022. This engine is still maturing but as an open source project it is maturing fairly rapidly. 

I will admit some bias here as I am a team member for both Lumberyard and O3DE.

Then can you please give your opinion of O3DE for MMORPGs purposes?
  • BathCoyoteBathCoyote Newbie CommonPosts: 1
    I am also having the same Issue. Did you get any solution?