Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

how about removeign banners to site promoteign cheating in mmorpgs

like this one for example http://mmorpg.com/images/ads/52.swf
Many people come here thinkign mmorpg.com is a fully above board and legitimate site then they see a banner for a site promoting cheating and exploitign a game and then think that its alright to do so. I find this disturbing. I have already emailed square soft about this includeing a screen shot of the banner i have also saved the banner localy. And book marked the locations for this banner 52.swf 53.swf and 54.swf.

::B^>::

Comments

• SerienSerien Member CommonPosts: 8,460

it's not cheating

it's strategy...all good games have a strategy you work out

there's a fine line between strategy and cheating..i just think you got them mixed up

admin would never sell an adversiting spot to a person promoting cheating.

• demondragondemondragon Member Posts: 13

Originally posted by MurtBijani
    it's not cheating
    it's strategy...all good games have a strategy you work out
    there's a fine line between strategy and cheating..i just think you got them mixed up
    admin would never sell an adversiting spot to a person promoting cheating.image

What you call this then FFXI Exploits EXPLOIT: Black Mage Experience Exploit or how about this one
    FFXI Exploits EXPLOIT: Beastmaster Exploit or this one
    FFXI Exploits EXPLOIT: Healing Skill Exploit

just a few examples of what is on that site so yes they did sell space to a site dedicated to hacking ffxi. Exploiting = cheating not stratagy .
    They also have a program to run ffxi in windowed mode like most mmorpgs ffxi doesnt allow alt tabbing so running in windowed mode lets exploiters and cheaters get to their tools to do things like edit memory etc . Thats not stragy. Id sign up but it costs money to do so.

• ParaTrooperParaTrooper Member Posts: 1,961
    omg .exactly can we get rid of these stupid things!, i had a post about this day or 2 ago but no1 read it. http://www.mmorpg.com/discussion.cfm/load/forums/loadclass/35/loadforum/51/loadthread/7409/jumptopost/77224

Lords Of The Mist - A World of Warcraft guild.
    http://www.lordsofthemist.com/

*Notice: The views expressed in this post are solely those of the author... got sick of holding backspace.
    -----------------------------------------
    ParaTrooper, That guy that used to mod the MMORPG.com forums.

• AdminAdmin Administrator RarePosts: 5,623

Originally posted by demondragon

like this one for example http://mmorpg.com/images/ads/52.swf
    Many people come here thinkign mmorpg.com is a fully above board and legitimate site then they see a banner for a site promoting cheating and exploitign a game and then think that its alright to do so. I find this disturbing. I have already emailed square soft about this includeing a screen shot of the banner i have also saved the banner localy. And book marked the locations for this banner 52.swf 53.swf and 54.swf.
    image::" hspace=1 src="/images/emoticons/Evil.gif" width=15 vspace=1>

I don't think Square Enix cares.  We have tried contacting them on several occasions to get interviews, screens, and other information to help promote their game...they don't respond or don't care.  Being sites like FFXI Secrets are not illegal...there is nothing they can do about it.

I have spoken on many occasions with the owner of the "secrets" network and he assures me he does not supply anyone with "hack software" or anything of that nature.  All the site does is tell people about the bugs in the game that are exploitable.  Granted...a player should use this stuff at their own risk, because the software company can wipe your account if they feel you gained something from a bug of thiers...but sharing this information is in no way illegal.

If you want to check something out do this.

1) Go to the *official* site for FFXI

2) Go to their "commnity" page, then click on "site links"

3) Click on the link for "JesterX's Guide to Vana'Diel -- FFXI info site" - you will see links to 3 "secrets" sites.  This is a link ENDORSED and ADDED by the Enix team.

Want to try another? 

1) Go to www.google.com - for those that don't know who Google is...smack yourself with a hammer (just kidding)...no really, they are one of the largest and most respectable search engines.

2) In the search bar type "Final Fantasy XI"

3) Look at all the ads that appear at the right side of the page.  90% of them are for "exploit" sites.  These spots are ad locations that Google has sold to these companies for the keyword search "Final Fantasy XI".  So you should take a screen shot of that and send it to Enix too.

- MMORPG.COM Staff -

- MMORPG.COM Staff -

The dead know only one thing: it is better to be alive.

• UiruruUiruru Member Posts: 984
    Amen Admin!!! If you dont like it, start your own MMO site and dont put banners like it up.  Besides that people would be doing this anyway.  AND, if you think that gamers will think it is ok to exploit bugs in a game because a banner they might have looked at for a few seconds advertised it, then you are out of your mind. imageimageimage

+++++++++++++++++++++++++
    Oh my god... dont ask where i found it

A: 73% S: 66% K: 33% E: 26%

+++++++++++++++++++++++++
    98% of the teenage population does or has tried smoking pot. If you're one of the 98% who has, copy & paste this in your signature.

A: 73% S: 66% K: 33% E: 26%

• kingslayerkingslayer Staff WriterMember Posts: 91
    Admin - Maybe some of those who are opposed to this advertising would be willing to place their own ads on MMORPG and thus reduce the need for the current ads.  Then everyone is happy. No "exploit ads" on this site, and MMORPG still gets a check in the mail :)

Notice: The views expressed in this post are solely those of the author and do not necessarily reflect the views of MMORPG.com or its management.

• kingslayerkingslayer Staff WriterMember Posts: 91
    p.s.  feel free to pull my name for the Ultima X beta due to my unwavering support for this site :)

Notice: The views expressed in this post are solely those of the author and do not necessarily reflect the views of MMORPG.com or its management.

• AdminAdmin Administrator RarePosts: 5,623
    Sounds like a plan to me :)  I assume you are joking about the UX:O beta?

- MMORPG.COM Staff -

- MMORPG.COM Staff -

The dead know only one thing: it is better to be alive.

• LamarcusLamarcus Member Posts: 7
    Like said before, there's nothing you can do about hacks and strategies in MMORPGs. Like the Jamella "Character Editing" system for Diablo2. This was really a pointless post, wasn't it?

-Lamarcus, formally DarkMaster, still ruler of all heliotrope.

-Lamarcus, formally DarkMaster, retired ruler of darkness. No need to fear me.