Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

MMORPGs: Druids vs Shamans

2»

Comments

• AdamantineAdamantine Member RarePosts: 5,085

Scot said:
    Depends on what classes you want, you can make a case for both quite easily. They don't tend to occur in the same societies though, it is a simplification but Druids may well have been seen as shamans before they became druids. So just keep them in different races/cultures.
    Well yes sure - I could do whatever.

But I want to have as good an idea as possible about the actual differences of these two fantasy archetypes, about what inspired their existence in the first place, and what kind of abilities they could possibly wield.

If I have two classes in my system, I need to differ them somehow in their array of abilities. Making it only possible to join or the other depending upon your race doesnt actually solve that problem.

AlBQuirky
  • Vermillion_RaventhalVermillion_Raventhal Member EpicPosts: 4,198
    Druids are usually denoted to nature along with Rangers.  In real life I think they were pagan religious leaders.  

You also have the cross over between death magic, demonology and spirits magic.
    AmarantharAlBQuirky
  • AmarantharAmaranthar Member EpicPosts: 5,801
    edited May 2022

Scot said:
    Depends on what classes you want, you can make a case for both quite easily. They don't tend to occur in the same societies though, it is a simplification but Druids may well have been seen as shamans before they became druids. So just keep them in different races/cultures.

But I want to have as good an idea as possible about the actual differences of these two fantasy archetypes, about what inspired their existence in the first place, and what kind of abilities they could possibly wield.

If I have two classes in my system, I need to differ them somehow in their array of abilities. Making it only possible to join or the other depending upon your race doesnt actually solve that problem.

I don't know about races. It seems to me that it's more about culture. 
    Humans, with their stone cities and spired temples and all, Clerics fit them very well. 
    But if you have a human culture that's more like the ancient Celts, then Shamans might fit better there. 
    Druids, on the other hand, seem more like hermits of the wood. Their friendships are with the woodland animals and natural things like trees and ponds. 
    Their only human associations are with other Druids, but only once in a while. 

Well, that's my take on it, anyways. I think my version of Clerics and Shamans fits RL historically very well. But game/fiction-novels designed Druids are an entirely made for fiction thing as far as I know, as game Shamans fit better in the RL Celt Druid. 
    AlBQuirky

Once upon a time....

• ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,986
    edited May 2022

Scot said:

Start with the idea that Shamans deal with the sprits in all living things and greater sprits that inhabit locations or deal with avatars of the animal, like the Great Wolf. In story emphasise the relationship between the shaman and his people, he is like a doctor and lawyer (interceding with the spirits) for the tribe. Dreams and sprit voyages are appropriate themes.

Druids are more nature and god oriented, they would have a pantheon. In story although Druids did Shaman like activities they are more interested in knowledge, its preservation and teaching. They are part of an order more than shaman are. Power through sacrifice, secrets in knowledge, dealing with clan leaders are more their themes.

You may need to get a book. :)
    AlBQuirkyTuor7
  • AdamantineAdamantine Member RarePosts: 5,085
    Well since all traffic has died down in this thread its time to thank everybody for their input !
    AlBQuirky
  • UngoodUngood Member LegendaryPosts: 7,532
    Well since all traffic has died down in this thread its time to thank everybody for their input !
    Well I want to say something just to say something but.. I hope we were able to give you some insight, and that this works for you.
    AlBQuirky
    Egotism is the anesthetic that dullens the pain of stupidity, this is why when I try to beat my head against the stupidity of other people, I only hurt myself.

• Tuor7Tuor7 Member RarePosts: 982
    Lycanthrope is different depending on the source. In some settings, it is a disease, while in others, it is a curse. Sometimes it is hereditary, and sometimes it's not. 

Regarding curing it, sometimes it requires divine aid, sometimes primal spirits can do it, and sometimes it just requires the proper medicine. Heck, sometimes it is a mixture of more than one of these methods. 

Generally speaking, if Lycanthrope can be cured, Druids have a pretty good chance of either doing so directly, or of knowing how it can be done. 
    [Deleted User]AlBQuirky