Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Lost ark down from 1.3 million concurrent to 350K in one month

Comments

• ScorchienScorchien Member LegendaryPosts: 8,914
    edited May 2022
    So for the OP and all the Interested Observers we will keep this thread up to date ..

on 5/5 Thur   @ 8:30 PM EST

New World has 17,316  concurrent players online..

Lost Ark has 403,815  concurrent players online ..
    Post edited by Scorchien on
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498
    edited May 2022
    Scorchien said:
    So for the OP and all the Interested Observers we will keep this thread up to date ..

Awesome, over on the NW subreddit someone was making the argument that the population drop had leveled off the past few months, clearly not the case it seems.

BTW, my main is GS1000, done with the Felton mainline and wrapping up a few rapport and side quests currently.

Looks like my next goal is GS1040 which gets me into the next tier in the Chaos dungeon.

Anyone know when I get some new gear?

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• AkulasAkulas Member RarePosts: 3,006
    When the 20 guys left playing that random small old school MMORPG don't play anymore then the genre is really dead. Until then, genres fine.

This isn't a signature, you just think it is.

• The_KorriganThe_Korrigan Member RarePosts: 3,459
    Torval said:
    Kyleran said:
    Scorchien said:

Awesome, over on the NW subreddit someone was making the argument that the population drop had leveled off the past few months, clearly not the case it seems.

BTW, my main is GS1000, done with the Felton mainline and wrapping up a few rapport and side quests currently.

Looks like my next goal is GS1040 which gets me into the next tier in the Chaos dungeon.

It had a peak of 23,387 concurrent in the last 24 hours, about the same as EVE. He's just trying to tilt as some windmill because he was so absolutely wrong about it shutting down in 6 months and thinks he's proving some point.

I wonder if they will make some cool event for the one year celebration at the end of August... ;)
    Respect, walk, what did you say?
    Respect, walk
    Are you talkin' to me? Are you talkin' to me?
    - PANTERA at HELLFEST 2023
    Yes, they are back !

• ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,955
    Torval said:
    Economies shouldn't be a nightmare but always end up that way it seems. There is always a point in the mudflation curve where the developer will take a heavy handed approach to correct the issue.

Bots are a problem agreed, however, they also tend to keep prices low and goods available. What happens when they just disappear is that players start charging more and there are fewer resources.

Price and market manipulation happens regardless of bots. It's just who is manipulating the market. Large guilds and a group consensus among harvesters and crafters do the same thing. Independent players and guilds who don't comply with the accepted standards are often harassed or shut out by those in control which really only contributes to the economy nightmare.

Part of that motivation is that often players and guilds sell stuff on Ebay, not just pro gold farmers. So getting rid of the bots alone doesn't fix the problem, just shifts where it sources from.
    It's almost like capitalism darn it. ;)
    [Deleted User]
    Torval said:
    Kyleran said:
    Scorchien said:

It had a peak of 23,387 concurrent in the last 24 hours, about the same as EVE. He's just trying to tilt as some windmill because he was so absolutely wrong about it shutting down in 6 months and thinks he's proving some point.
    More lies , show me where I said it would shut down in 6 months ...

You cant . . Don't you grow tired of lying to this community , 
    Torval said:
    Kyleran said:
    Scorchien said:

Actually he posted 8 PM EST which isn't the peak time, but yes 24K seems to be the daily peak the last few weeks.

Still, pretty sure my LA server has that many bots throughout the day.

;)
    Scorchien

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

Kyleran said:
    Torval said:
    Kyleran said:
    Scorchien said:

Actually he posted 8 PM EST which isn't the peak time, but yes 24K seems to be the daily peak the last few weeks.

Still, pretty sure my LA server has that many bots throughout the day.

;)
    One would think that actually providing the date and time would be clear enough , No where did I say it was the peak , that's is just when I check as I live in Philly EST , and it is relative, But here we are again in another thread with same guy lying to try and discredit actual facts ..The NW Glee club is so desperate..

I am just providing  community service at the OPs request,  I hope the NW community enjoys these factual updates pulled directly from. STEAM data..
  • Vermillion_RaventhalVermillion_Raventhal Member EpicPosts: 4,198
    Kyleran said:
    Torval said:
    Economies shouldn't be a nightmare but always end up that way it seems. There is always a point in the mudflation curve where the developer will take a heavy handed approach to correct the issue.

Bots are a problem agreed, however, they also tend to keep prices low and goods available. What happens when they just disappear is that players start charging more and there are fewer resources.

Price and market manipulation happens regardless of bots. It's just who is manipulating the market. Large guilds and a group consensus among harvesters and crafters do the same thing. Independent players and guilds who don't comply with the accepted standards are often harassed or shut out by those in control which really only contributes to the economy nightmare.

Part of that motivation is that often players and guilds sell stuff on Ebay, not just pro gold farmers. So getting rid of the bots alone doesn't fix the problem, just shifts where it sources from.
    I think devs need to get more serious about A) ID verification behind accounts, and B ) setting out a standard of behavior they expect that goes beyond the coded game.

You can't realistically code any standard of ethics into a player population, but you can certainly curate a specific type of community if you have good controls on admission.
    While I agree in the West consumers are extremely wary of being "identified", at least with their real life identities.

Perhaps some sort of identity token system like many payment systems are now using could be employed, but not sure how the F2P model could be supported.
    I think the net is long overdue for an identification system that doesn't really ID you personally.  Even for jobs we have to give companies way too much info.  I wonder how many stolen identities come from some too good to be true job that ask for too much information.  
  • FrodoFraginsFrodoFragins Member EpicPosts: 5,903
    edited May 2022
    This game has the biggest bot situation I've ever seen.  I'm sure this is due to initial popularity and the massive P2W nature of the game.

The best solution I've seen is to close off servers to new accounts and start manually removing the bots.  sure it's punishing to players and expensive to implement but it will drastically help the server experience.

The sad thing is that AH's are region wide so it would still be a mess.  How about make AH's server only?

As far as population numbers go, you can't trust them anymore as there are likely 100k to 200k bots up at all times (except after patches)
    [Deleted User]The_Korrigan
  • IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    I remember that thread. Didn't pay much attention though because it was just too convenient to have insider knowledge gathered from "circles of discord networks" at the precise moment in time to use it as a way to pretend to be speaking with a higher level of authority on the subject.

Seen that schtick used way too many times. Never take it a face value any longer.

But anyway. carry on... :)

...just happy to be back among the living finally without a fever for the first time in almost a week. If a non-Covid cold/flu/whatever can knock me out this much these days I shudder to think what Covid would have done to me. Old age sucks.
    [Deleted User]The_KorriganScotTuor7
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,263
    The user and all related content has been deleted.

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

Iselin said:
    I remember that thread. Didn't pay much attention though because it was just too convenient to have insider knowledge gathered from "circles of discord networks" at the precise moment in time to use it as a way to pretend to be speaking with a higher level of authority on the subject.

Seen that schtick used way too many times. Never take it a face value any longer.

But anyway. carry on... :)

...just happy to be back among the living finally without a fever for the first time in almost a week. If a non-Covid cold/flu/whatever can knock me out this much these days I shudder to think what Covid would have done to me. Old age sucks.

Glad you're back and better. Health is just the most precious gift.
    And if you allow me a selfish thought: don't leave us, there's only a few decent posters left here, and you're one of them...
    [Deleted User]
    Respect, walk
    Yes, they are back !

edited May 2022
    This game has the biggest bot situation I've ever seen.  I'm sure this is due to initial popularity and the massive P2W nature of the game.

The best solution I've seen is to close off servers to new accounts and start manually removing the bots.  sure it's punishing to players and expensive to implement but it will drastically help the server experience.

The sad thing is that AH's are region wide so it would still be a mess.  How about make AH's server only?

As far as population numbers go, you can't trust them anymore as there are likely 100k to 200k bots up at all times (except after patches)

Don't get me wrong, I enjoyed my time (240 hours) in Lost Ark, but once you hit the "Pay or Win Wall", you realize it's just another pathetic Korean grinder aiming for your wallet, full of bots exploiting that fact. And I know right now that I will never play that game again. The leveling experience though is amazing, even more to those who enjoy Diablo style games, those cinematic are just amazing, and I would recommend it to anyone... knowing that you have to stop when the pay to win grind starts. Considering its totally free, why not ? Just don't give them a cent !

In the meantime, I'm up the 571 hours played in New World, and I still feel the desire to log in every day, to explore that marvelous world and progress my character... without hidden costs, without pay to win grind, and also in a full 3D world. Each new patch makes the game better, and adds content. The community is awesome since we got rid of most of the cheaters, exploiters and bots. And there's not a hint of pay to win in the game.

It's all a matter of opinion, pace, playstyle and if you're just a whale feeding a game made for you to win with money or just enjoying a virtual world.
    [Deleted User]
    Respect, walk
    Yes, they are back !

edited May 2022
    Nevermind. It's going to be more fun without my post ;)
    [Deleted User]
    Respect, walk
    Yes, they are back !

Don't get me wrong, I enjoyed my time (240 hours) in Lost Ark, but once you hit the "Pay or Win Wall", you realize it's just another pathetic Korean grinder aiming for your wallet, full of bots exploiting that fact. And I know right now that I will never play that game again. The leveling experience though is amazing, even more to those who enjoy Diablo style games, those cinematic are just amazing, and I would recommend it to anyone... knowing that you have to stop when the pay to win grind starts. Considering its totally free, why not ? Just don't give them a cent !

In the meantime, I'm up the 571 hours played in New World, and I still feel the desire to log in every day, to explore that marvelous world and progress my character... without hidden costs, without pay to win grind, and also in a full 3D world. Each new patch makes the game better, and adds content. The community is awesome since we got rid of most of the cheaters, exploiters and bots. And there's not a hint of pay to win in the game.

It's all a matter of opinion, pace, playstyle and if you're just a whale feeding a game made for you to win with money or just enjoying a virtual world.
    I hit that wall at 1343 item level about a week before they released Argos.  I fully expected to return once they introduced permanent catchup mechanics, but they've instead gone the short event route.

I don't miss a single thing about the game at the moment and their inability to deal with bots or reduce the P2W has turned me off completely.  It also got super tedious and dull to redo the same content on alts because they had no ways to let you stay on your main and get more rewards that day.
    [Deleted User]The_Korrigan
    Stizzled said:
    It'll be interesting to see how many players LA retains when the next big Eastern MMO comes to the West. Or even when D4 and PoE 2 release (if ever). Are people playing LA for LA's sake, or is it just the latest and greatest flash in the pan?

What even is the next upcoming Eastern MMO, Chimeraland? Fun-ish game, don't see it pulling LA numbers though.

I'm not sure this is a really interesting topic.
    I for sure probably going to spend more hours in D4 (or maybe even D:I) than in LA, but to each his own.
    Whales like the ones playing LA beyond the free start experience, which is quite long for this game, are becoming rare in the west, and are very volatile too, they will change game without a second thought, those are just simple products for them.
    Respect, walk
    Yes, they are back !

Stizzled said:
    It'll be interesting to see how many players LA retains when the next big Eastern MMO comes to the West. Or even when D4 and PoE 2 release (if ever). Are people playing LA for LA's sake, or is it just the latest and greatest flash in the pan?

What even is the next upcoming Eastern MMO, Chimeraland? Fun-ish game, don't see it pulling LA numbers though.

WOW's dragon expac will get some of the streamers to leave for a while.  POE streamers that skipped last league may return for their next one.  The rest seem in it for good I guess.
    The_Korrigan
    edited May 2022
    Torval said:
    Stizzled said:

Agreed. I'm waiting to see the impact of the next NCSoft launches, the ones that are supposed to be Lineage successors. I think they're going to make a big splash, but who knows. I could be totally wrong. I'm mostly out of touch with what is popular anymore.

Oddly enough it didnt take any other games to impact NW rapid decline , it did all the damage itself ..

but here we see the NWGC needing other games to impact LA to justify its possible decline .. LOl aint that rich ..

Stizzled said:
    Scorchien said:
    Torval said:
    Stizzled said:

Agreed. I'm waiting to see the impact of the next NCSoft launches, the ones that are supposed to be Lineage successors. I think they're going to make a big splash, but who knows. I could be totally wrong. I'm mostly out of touch with what is popular anymore.

Oddly enough it didnt take any other games to impact NW rapid decline , it did all the damage itself ..

but here we see the NWGC needing other games to impact LA to justify its possible decline .. LOl aint that rich ..

I'm less interested in understanding how a poorly managed, buggy, exploit filled mess like NW lost its players and more interested why a bot riddled, P2W, grinder is retaining so many players. We've had a slew of these in the past couple of years, and none of them have done as well as LA. None of them even did initially as well as LA did.

So, why? What's so different about LA? It has yet to face another hyped up MMO release and I think that's pretty relevant to the current retention rate. But, what about the initial release? Where were the 1.3 million people for Elyon, Bless, Revelation and so on? Is LA really that much better/different?

I've got a history of hating on Eastern MMOs around here, to the point I've been called racist. To me, they're mostly low effort, flash in the pan, cash grabs and player numbers pretty much prove that assumption correct. Yet, LA seems to be breaking that trend and I'm curious as to why. On the surface, outside of the Diablo-esque gameplay, it looks like all the others in monetization, graphical style and overall gameplay design philosophy (grind).

Have any opinions on LA numbers that don't have to do with NW? If not, you're dismissed.
    Lost Ark is better than it first appears, enough to keep me still playing and paying a sub into my 3rd month now.

It's a decent single player game, not a very good MMORPG though.

I had a good time battling through the many bosses of Felton's final quests last night, especially liked the parts where I rode the back of the giant demon like he was a sandworm from Dune.

Of course, being the badass that I am I prevailed over all challenges.

Now to the next zone....with T3 on the near horizon.

[Deleted User][Deleted User]The_Korrigan

edited May 2022
    Stizzled said:
    Scorchien said:
    Torval said:
    Stizzled said:

I'm less interested in understanding how a poorly managed, buggy, exploit filled mess like NW lost its players and more interested why a bot riddled, P2W, grinder is retaining so many players. We've had a slew of these in the past couple of years, and none of them have done as well as LA. None of them even did initially as well as LA did.

So, why? What's so different about LA? It has yet to face another hyped up MMO release and I think that's pretty relevant to the current retention rate. But, what about the initial release? Where were the 1.3 million people for Elyon, Bless, Revelation and so on? Is LA really that much better/different?

I've got a history of hating on Eastern MMOs around here, to the point I've been called racist. To me, they're mostly low effort, flash in the pan, cash grabs and player numbers pretty much prove that assumption correct. Yet, LA seems to be breaking that trend and I'm curious as to why. On the surface, outside of the Diablo-esque gameplay, it looks like all the others in monetization, graphical style and overall gameplay design philosophy (grind).

Have any opinions on LA numbers that don't have to do with NW? If not, you're dismissed.

the combat is fun and impactful ...

There is alot of variety in builds..

There are great classes

many really good story lines even the small islands can have very well done tales ..

grouping for runs is easy .

game play loop is well done had a great feel to progression

etc.. many other good systems in place..

LA will have good retention for a very long time , i suspect it will settle into the industry standard at about 230-250k .. Its performing well above that now ..

Post edited by Scorchien on
    [Deleted User]Kyleran[Deleted User]
    Torval said:
    Kyleran said:
    Lost Ark is better than it first appears, enough to keep me still playing and paying a sub into my 3rd month now.

I had a good time battling through the many bosses of Felton's final quests last night, especially liked the parts where I rode the back of the giant demon like he was a sandworm from Dune.

I liked the combat for the class I tried in the Beta test, but I could see the monetization model and currency hell from a mile off and just didn't want to deal with it. I've played too many games with junky monetization late game and it put me off.

Also, since I knew I'd play it single player there are so many better Action RPG options that I didn't feel it was worth the effort. All but a couple of the Action RPG/ARPG games I have offer multiplayer or coop so.

It makes sense why you got into it, but if you like that then I think you'd like some other ARPGs. They're just better at what they do and with much more satisfying progression and loot. The thing about single player ARPGs is they don't have to try and squeeze your wallet for good loot.

Well much of my isolation is self imposed, there's quite a bit of group based content if one is willing to team up with randos or chase after the latest timers.

I'm still hoping to hook up with a solid, but forgiving guild that won't be too harsh on having to carry or help train me on the more difficult content. 

I play at a very low effort level, not bothering to read up much on proper leveling or optimization of my gear or skills.

This is all fine for doing easier chaos or even guardian runs, but you won't survive the Abyssal raids or higher content unless you are willing to learn how to dance with the stars and really refine your build.

Lost Ark is an interesting game, it's really up to the player how much effort they want to put in to exceed at the higher tiers.

If they don't want to there's plenty of open world islands and quests to explore, and many alts to play with doing it all.

Scorchien[Deleted User]

Kyleran said:
    Torval said:
    Kyleran said:

I liked the combat for the class I tried in the Beta test, but I could see the monetization model and currency hell from a mile off and just didn't want to deal with it. I've played too many games with junky monetization late game and it put me off.

Also, since I knew I'd play it single player there are so many better Action RPG options that I didn't feel it was worth the effort. All but a couple of the Action RPG/ARPG games I have offer multiplayer or coop so.

It makes sense why you got into it, but if you like that then I think you'd like some other ARPGs. They're just better at what they do and with much more satisfying progression and loot. The thing about single player ARPGs is they don't have to try and squeeze your wallet for good loot.

Well much of my isolation is self imposed, there's quite a bit of group based content if one is willing to team up with randos or chase after the latest timers.

I'm still hoping to hook up with a solid, but forgiving guild that won't be too harsh on having to carry or help train me on the more difficult content. 

I play at a very low effort level, not bothering to read up much on proper leveling or optimization of my gear or skills.

This is all fine for doing easier chaos or even guardian runs, but you won't survive the Abyssal raids or higher content unless you are willing to learn how to dance with the stars and really refine your build.

Lost Ark is an interesting game, it's really up to the player how much effort they want to put in to exceed at the higher tiers.

If they don't want to there's plenty of open world islands and quests to explore, and many alts to play with doing it all.

I play all the ARPGS out , alot , none of the others have that MMO feel to them and that may be something that keeps drawing folks into logging in ..
    [Deleted User]
  • ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,955
    Stizzled said:
    Scorchien said:
    Torval said:
    Stizzled said:

I have been thinking about this myself, I think players are becoming increasingly flavour of the season, so more are piling in on the new seasons game than ever before. I also think players are not as bothered by non-western MMOs now as they used to be. The quality of those games out the door has increased but also there has been a sea change in the Western market.

Western MMOs have taken on elements of Far east MMO grind, they have become somewhat more like Eastern MMOs. Even dailies introduce the concept of a quick repetitive cycle. So Western players are now more used to what we used to think of as Eastern grind. Meanwhile those Eastern MMOs are becoming better localised for the West, I can remember when all the did was change the language to English and that's it.
    [Deleted User][Deleted User]Kyleran
  • AAAMEOWAAAMEOW Member RarePosts: 1,605
    Stizzled said:
    Scorchien said:
    Torval said:
    Stizzled said:

I don't know anything about LA.  But I presume the main reason it is popular because it is an "ARPG".  Or at least sort of play like an ARPG.