Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Why Do Modern MMOs Feel So Different Than Old School Ones? | MMORPG.com

SystemSystem Member UncommonPosts: 12,599

imageWhy Do Modern MMOs Feel So Different Than Old School Ones? | MMORPG.com

We all know it. Modern-day MMORPG's just don't feel the same as old-school MMO's do. Have you ever wondered why exactly that might be? Mitch takes a stab at the differences between the differences between older MMOs and new ones. Read on and see if you agree with his assessment.

Read the full story here

Comments

• MargraveMargrave Member RarePosts: 1,362
    Modern titles don't punish the player for playing like the older titles did. That's what's different.
    RaagnarzChildoftheShadowsLackingMMO
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    edited May 2022
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • olepiolepi Member EpicPosts: 2,829
    I think the shift came from WoW. Before WoW, MMORPG's were really RPG's that you could play with others. The focus was on character development, what "role" do you want to play in the world?

And the choices were vast. Take DAOC for example. There are three factions, and each faction has their own set of classes. And each class has multiple "spec lines" to develop, each one different than the other. The total number of choices is huge. The manuals for these games were large too.

WoW brought in what I call the "Mortal Kombat Kiddies". These players are used to action combat, shallow characters with almost no development, and very limited choices as to powers and strategies. Like an arcade game, not an RPG.

Today's MMO's are way dumbed down versions of what we used to play. ESO, for example, is patterned after DAOC, with three factions, etc. But each faction has the same classes. And each class is very simple, the number of choices is very limited. And unlike DaOC, where you have a lot of skills/powers to choose from, ESO gives you only a handful. 5 powers to start, that's all.

The focus has gone towards "action" combat, like an arcade game, and away from complex character development. And like arcade games, people hop from one to the other. They are all very similar anyway, with shallow characters and limited choices.

The TL;DR version: count the keys on your keyboard. Now count the buttons on your console controller. That is what has happened to MMORPG's.
    SensaiKylerandeniterArglebargleRaagnarzmeerclarAsariashaxdave78Mallyxishistand 3 others.

------------
    2024: 47 years on the Net.

• TheDalaiBombaTheDalaiBomba Member EpicPosts: 1,493
    Agreed on the cross-server tech.

You know almost nothing about the majority of the people in your state.  But those in your community?  Those you run into at the gym repeatedly, at work, at church, at the store, etc.. Those are the people you form a true "communal" connection with.  Those are the people you generally elect your friends from.  People whose lives make room for one another.

Focusing a community can actually be helpful in creating those connections.  I definitely think devs need to do a better job of curating those communities, though.  Virtual anonymity sets up a bad landscape without some serious trimming.
    ScotKyleranGoldenTiger2
  • ChaserzChaserz Member UncommonPosts: 317
    "...Those corpse runs weren’t hardcore." I beg to differ. Grouping enabled players to go much further into dungeons so at that level they were deadly. If you/your group died, trying to organize a corpse run to retrieve your gear could be very difficult unless you were in a low level dungeon, and you had high level friend(s) to help you.
    ScotKyleranetlarbakon2Viper482ValdheimMallyxishistGoldenTiger2
  • TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,754
    The things I experienced from old school games (pre-wow) to new school games (post wow)

1. shifting from group based to solo based
    2. shift from grind/exploring to quest/story based gameplay
    3. Older games we made our entertainment, newer games the game entertained us
    4. shift from sub payment to B2p and f2p, as well as cash shop and micros
    5. current emphasis on instant gratification as opposed to "earning" our way

Really WoW changed everything, for better or worse....
    KyleranGroqstrongeoloeMallyxLackingMMOishistGoldenTiger2
  • ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,986
    edited May 2022
    Modern MMO's Are Easier (Yes Really) 

Modern MMOs are easier, easier to solo and that's all that matters. We have easier grouping these days, but that's not across the board. Soloing became so easy grouping died out, that is the proof of how easy it became.

"Those corpse runs weren’t hardcore. You just ran back to where you had died, gathered up your stuff, and high-tailed it out of there before the mobs could kill you again."

And that is easier than the no-penalty deaths of today Mitch? I am not sure I would call corpse runs "hardcore" myself, but they were a lot harder than today. Corpse runs are something I don't want back btw, they aren't needed for an old school/new school hybrid.

"The removal of those archaic mechanics hasn’t made MMOs any easier, it’s just made them more convenient to play."

No, convenience is easier, you have just bought into a term studios use to disguise the fact all the do is make MMOs easier each year. Same for quality of life changes, even in your example they made the game easier. That's not to say all changes the studio calls convenience or QoL are just there to make the game easier, those labels are just what studios use to hide their "ever easier" roadmap.

Modern MMOs Lack Individuality

With a few honourable exceptions I agree.

Modern MMOs Have Faster Leveling

I agree, just add that's part of the changes that: "have turned dedicated players that would stick with an MMO for years into a transient group that hops from one MMO to the next in a matter of weeks."

But I think that was what you intended to say as you develop that into Modern MMOs Backload The Grind which I certainly agree with.

The Mystery Is Gone From Modern MMOs 

Yes, just pointing out I think this is also down to "MMOs lacking individuality", if you build from the same template, mystery becomes harder to build in.

Modern MMOs Lack Community

Yes and again yes! To me this is the element that has been impacted by so many changes that it is a wonder we still have communities in MMOs. From the soloing to the "transient group" of butterflies, to the "self sufficiency"; MMO community has taken repeated knock out blows, the fact it survives shows how much players want it.

"What I’m about to say is going to make me sound like one of those old-school MMOers who is stuck in the past".

Welcome to the club, I will be sending you a pair of the fabled rosy spectacles we are all supposed to use. But I think you will find as I have from what players say, that they want a hybrid of some sort between old and new school, not just a return to the past.

In summation, MMOs are like an ecosystem, you change one thing and it can have a big impact on other systems. But then they are places many players think of as second home, so that should not be surprising.

RaagnarzChildoftheShadowsGoldenTiger2
  • ChaserzChaserz Member UncommonPosts: 317
    The longing for an "old school" experience but in the present day is interesting but ultimately futile. In particular, EverQuest fans from 1999+. Unless you have a time machine, you'll never have that experience again. Sure, MMOs can model themselves similarly, but they can't change you. It was a one way trip, friends.
    KyleranGroqstrongMawneemeerclar
  • DjijinDjijin Member UncommonPosts: 108
    edited May 2022
    Game development has become industrialized. Mmo's today are the Walmart/McDonalds of the genre. These games target the largest possible audience and compromise every design principle in order to comply to the primary directives: maximize monetization, align development with the product release cycle of other products, maximize user participation across all products. 

Modern mmos are fast food, built for convenience and around those who spend the most money. This plagues the entire industry, and due to the massive investment of time and money, mmos take no chances. Corporations don't do innovation.

The old indie developers of old school mmorpgs ... just made a game based on concept, and hoped there was an audience for it. That's how capitalism used to work. Make a product, if it was good, it would likely succeed and sell well. It wasn't baked up in a corporate meeting with investors.

Most games suck today because you're playing a Disney theme park model; lowest bar of entry, maximized monetization model, zero innovation and imagination ... and the masses mindlessly eat it up.

Good games are not made for the masses. Being part of the masses, is a mundane life. You are a crab in a bucket, and your products reflect that reality. You also have nearly all consumer power stripped from you. You have no buying power. Investors have the power, and developers are beholden to them, not you. If you stop giving them money, they target the new "mass audience", and you are left wondering why good games are no longer made and capable of even being made.

The clues are there for you to see. This is why Blizzard is targeting the mobile market. You pc gamers do not return the investment percentage investors demand. You will be phased out if required. Games will no longer be made for you, if your market yields a lower return. You will be dropped like an Amber Heard grumpy on white sheets. Welcome to the world of corporations. 
    ArglebarglePingu2012ishistGoldenTiger2
  • SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,011
    Chaserz said:
    The longing for an "old school" experience but in the present day is interesting but ultimately futile. In particular, EverQuest fans from 1999+. Unless you have a time machine, you'll never have that experience again. Sure, MMOs can model themselves similarly, but they can't change you. It was a one way trip, friends.
    That's true, but at the same time the game play is different.

I lose interest in theme park game extremely quickly. 

So an old school style, while it's not going to offer that "magical" first feeling, is  going to be superior to me.
    cameltosiseoloeKyleranGoldenTiger2pantaro
    Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • SensaiSensai Member UncommonPosts: 220
    Chaserz said:
    No two experiences will ever be the same but I think it is far from futile.  If you have a good guild and/or group of friends to play with and you have non-themepark content that can be played together,  those experiences are still very possible.   The wonder piece may be diminished but if it's new to you, even that can be a similar experience.   Oh, and life is a one way trip, so . . . yeah.
    ValdheimGoldenTiger2

• JeroKaneJeroKane Member EpicPosts: 6,965
    The newer MMO's and games in general are much more fluid and fast paced.

The reason why I struggle getting back into EverQuest II each time, is that I just get immediately bored logging into my old Paladin character and spend 10 mins killing even the most menial quests mobs.

In old MMO's, every little thing seems a time sink, even killing basic quest mobs. This is especially true for tank / healer classes, which get really punished in DPS in these older MMO's.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • bakon2bakon2 Member UncommonPosts: 129
    Definitely think modern mmos are easier because the devs cater to the instant gratification of people...because if they didn't then the official forums and discord would be spammed with the 'this game sucks' threads... I am sure there are examples of games that are just as difficult in content, and a lot of it really depends on the particular person playing the game and their desire to master their toon.
    As for corpse runs, man, I remember some doozies in Asheron's Call...just had to have the correct death items to make it easier so you didn't have to get your corpse if a group of Virindi were camping it...
    Valdheim

• JeroKaneJeroKane Member EpicPosts: 6,965

bakon2 said:

Definitely think modern mmos are easier because the devs cater to the instant gratification of people...because if they didn't then the official forums and discord would be spammed with the 'this game sucks' threads... I am sure there are examples of games that are just as difficult in content, and a lot of it really depends on the particular person playing the game and their desire to master their toon.

As for corpse runs, man, I remember some doozies in Asheron's Call...just had to have the correct death items to make it easier so you didn't have to get your corpse if a group of Virindi were camping it...

There has to be a middle ground though.

The old MMO's were real time sink. People weren't joking saying MMO's back then were like a 2nd life / job.

When I got into a serious relationship, son being born, etc. I had to stop playing MMO's back then, since I just did not have the time anymore.

Now with today's MMO's I can actually play again, without having to sacrifice my social / family life. ;)
    ValdheimUngood
  • user298user298 Member UncommonPosts: 152
    Another garbage article. Especially nonsense about "cross-server play kills the community". I play FF14, it has cross-server visitation and cross-server dungeon queue tool, I have NEVER felt like it negatively affects the "community" in any way (any kind of community, people who do raiding or people who just like to socialize), and I found more people to socialize with in FF14 than in any previous MMORPG I've ever played, including the EQ and vanilla WoW. This is especially true for RP community, which is better (more varied, larger in size, less toxic) in FF14 than in any other popular MMORPG, including MMORPGs which still don't have cross-server tools.
    GoldenTiger2
  • Rivan12Rivan12 Member UncommonPosts: 28
    Corpse runs were fun, white knuckle affairs. I am definitely in the minority here but I miss corpse running....Ultima Online 97-2002
    ScorchienLackingMMOMorbeousTimacekGoldenTiger2
  • SensaiSensai Member UncommonPosts: 220
    user298 said:
    Another garbage article. Especially nonsense about "cross-server play kills the community". I play FF14, it has cross-server visitation and cross-server dungeon queue tool, I have NEVER felt like it negatively affects the "community" in any way (any kind of community, people who do raiding or people who just like to socialize), and I found more people to socialize with in FF14 than in any previous MMORPG I've ever played, including the EQ and vanilla WoW. This is especially true for RP community, which is better (more varied, larger in size, less toxic) in FF14 than in any other popular MMORPG, including MMORPGs which still don't have cross-server tools.
    Not sure FFXIV is the best example as the "community" is largely furries and other specialized interests.  Outside of that, I have not experienced any real semblance on 2 different servers unless you count the early hunting linkshells.
    maskedweaselKyleranGoldenTiger2pantaro

• ScorchienScorchien Member LegendaryPosts: 8,914
    Most gamers these days  , just want there participation Trophy and move on , they want the least path of resistance , and do not want to be challenged .

And why i still play UO 26 years now..

Anarchy Online each year ..

DAOC each year etc..

And obvious from the writers comments , he never did a corpse run in UO ..

Abscissa15GoldenTiger2
  • VorthanionVorthanion Member RarePosts: 2,749
    edited May 2022
    For me, they went from being complex massive online worlds with an emphasis on tactical and situational combat, cooperation and exploration to simplified multiplayer arcaade games with an emphasis on frantic action and competition. I prefer the former and avoid the latter.
    Post edited by Vorthanion on
    ScorchienMadBomber13ValdheimExsirasGoldenTiger2pantaro

• Viper482Viper482 Member LegendaryPosts: 4,065
    Disagree on all levels about old school MMOs not being harder. They absolutely were harder in every way.
    ScorchienRaagnarzKyleranTheocritusValdheimDjijinLackingMMOGoldenTiger2
    Make MMORPG's Great Again!
  • Morgenes83Morgenes83 Member UncommonPosts: 286
    All I read is the attention span nowadays is waaaaaaaaay shorter and everyone is spoiling themselves through videos, Tutorials, skill calculators and walkthroughs.

IMHO you can't re-create the old times as people play the game differently and expect something different.

If I would create an MMO (and not business software) I would just shorten the leveling phase tremendously and go with a Guild Wars 1 approach.
    Let the people grind for those extra skins, extra 1-2% of damage, skills which are not stronger but different and allow more diversity, or even different effects for the same skills.

It's always a shame to see games have a lot of leveling content just to see it being ignored and empty after 2 weeks. All this quests and dungeons and items as endgame stuff and people would grind it without complaining.

1997 Meridian 59 'til 2019 ESO 

Waiting for Camelot Unchained & Pantheon

• TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,754
    JeroKane said:

bakon2 said:

There has to be a middle ground though.

The old MMO's were real time sink. People weren't joking saying MMO's back then were like a 2nd life / job.

When I got into a serious relationship, son being born, etc. I had to stop playing MMO's back then, since I just did not have the time anymore.

Now with today's MMO's I can actually play again, without having to sacrifice my social / family life. ;)

IT always felt like the time sink was nothing more than for the company to keep people subbed longer....If you ran out of things to do in one month, then the company doesn't make much money....but...as a result, by things taking longer we had more time to talk in chat....I knew people in Everquest that never left PoK...They enjoyed chatting with other people all day...That was their fun.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • ArglebargleArglebargle Member EpicPosts: 3,396
    The new saw about 'MMOs have to compete with all other forms of entertainment available today';  it really is the case.

Reminds me of my musical mentor who told me that when we played out, we were in the entertainment industry, not the musical one.
    Ungood

If you are holding out for the perfect game, the only game you play will be the waiting one.