Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Warcraft's Holly Longdale Named Executive Producer; Devs Talk Race And Class Restrictions Being Lift

SystemSystem Member UncommonPosts: 12,599
edited April 2022 in News & Features Discussion

imageWarcraft's Holly Longdale Named Executive Producer; Devs Talk Race And Class Restrictions Being Lifted In Dragonflight | MMORPG.com

As more and more news pours out from interviews about World of Warcraft's upcoming expansion, Dragonflight, Blizzard themselves had some news of their own. Holly Longdale has announced that she is taking over the role of Executive Producer on the World of Warcraft franchise.

Read the full story here

Comments

• ValentinaValentina Member RarePosts: 2,079
    Nice
  • DattelisDattelis Member RarePosts: 1,454
    edited April 2022
    So, Blizzard.....about some Night Elf Paladins....lets go?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,263
    The user and all related content has been deleted.

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

• WarlyxWarlyx Member EpicPosts: 3,363

Torval said:

Is the same Holly Longdale who recently ran Daybreak's MMOs? If so, then this is horrible because I feel like she really ran EQ2 poorly and didn't get what that game was about at all.

yep the same , be scared lol

btw tauren rogues !
    [Deleted User]
  • DattelisDattelis Member RarePosts: 1,454
    edited April 2022
    Warlyx said:

Torval said:

Is the same Holly Longdale who recently ran Daybreak's MMOs? If so, then this is horrible because I feel like she really ran EQ2 poorly and didn't get what that game was about at all.

yep the same , be scared lol

btw tauren rogues !

It honestly just sounds like a title in name only, like they originally gave that woman who was supposed to be co-lead of blizzard or whatever after they got rid of the 'you think you do but you dont' guy (bad with names atm, sorry). We later find out that she was getting paid significantly less and had less responsibilities yet held the same title as the guy....I suppose only time will tell since it sounds like the Microsoft acquisition wont be finalized until the end of the year if I'm reading things correctly (someone can clarify).
  • MendelMendel Member LegendaryPosts: 5,609
    Torval said:

As far as I am concerned, her stay at Daybreak was the beginning of the end.  I think that under her leadership, both EQ products slid a lot.

Maybe she will do better with WoW.

[Deleted User]Margrave

Logic, my dear, merely enables one to be wrong with great authority.

• Viper482Viper482 Member LegendaryPosts: 4,064
    As long as that asshat Ion is there I have no hope for anything. How he has not been fired yet it a wonder.
    Calavry[Deleted User]MargraveJeroKanedefroststardragonlee66
    Make MMORPG's Great Again!
  • CalavryCalavry Member UncommonPosts: 113
    Based on my EQ/EQ2 experience I call her "The Monetizer"
    [Deleted User]Margrave
  • TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,751
    Torval said:
    We'll see what happens. Maybe she'll do better at Blizzard. Maybe the Microsoft acquisition and all mess they've made over the last couple years will clean up.

Different companies and times can see people at the best or worst. The time I enjoyed most was probably under Hartsman and he really bungled Rift in the end (not alone and certainly not all his fault either). I like the time under Georgeson as well even though a lot of people didn't like him or how he ran the franchise.

Maybe I'll try EQ2 again sometime and see how the new person (whoever they are) is running the show.

That's OK...Bill will just incorporate all of the Blizzard titles into his metaverse and watch the money roll in......
    [Deleted User]
  • NeoyoshiNeoyoshi Member RarePosts: 1,129
    This trainwreak is never going to end, is it?

Fishing on Gilgamesh since 2013
  • ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,955
    She has had a long career in gaming, not one of these executives drafted in from Hagan Das with no gaming experience. But from what you are saying her biggest contribution to her games is monetarisation, so this does not look good.
  • Viper482Viper482 Member LegendaryPosts: 4,064

Scot said:

She has had a long career in gaming, not one of these executives drafted in from Hagan Das with no gaming experience. But from what you are saying her biggest contribution to her games is monetarisation, so this does not look good.

It is the direction the entire genre has moved to though, and one in which WoW has actually lagged behind. Doesn't surprise me at all with the loss of income the game has incurred recently that they would hire someone to bring in the $$$$$$. This is not about making WoW great again, it's about making great WoW money again.

I get it, it's a business....but if only these publishers realized great games that make you want to play a long time are a better investment than a cash shop.
    ScotTheDalaiBomba
    Make MMORPG's Great Again!
  • Mackaveli44Mackaveli44 Member RarePosts: 710
    Oh boy... as a long time EQ2 player playing through the times she was onboard at Daybreak, this is very concerning. She shit all over EQ2 and drove it into the ground. This doesn't bode well for WoW
    [Deleted User]Calavry
  • blackthornnblackthornn Member UncommonPosts: 615
    Blizzard promotes Holly, WoW becomes the WoW killer we were all expecting for years
    Lol
    [Deleted User]MargraveJeroKaneLackingMMO
     Grouping in Old school mmo's: meeting someone at the bar and chatting, getting to know them before jumping into bed.  Current mmo's grouping: tinder.  swipe, hookup, hope you don't get herpes, never see them again.
  • MargraveMargrave Member RarePosts: 1,362
    edited May 2022
    Now make all allied races available.
  • IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    Sometimes greedy suits wear skirts... who knew?
    Scot
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    edited May 2022
  • BrotherMaynardBrotherMaynard Member RarePosts: 567
    edited May 2022
    Viper482 said:
    As long as that asshat Ion is there I have no hope for anything. How he has not been fired yet it a wonder.

He got the job by mistake or machination, but by now he's there as Bolvar on the Frozen Throne. A job nobody in Activision wants or could do thanks to their creative bankruptcy and general state, he runs the company's C-team and tries to hold the undead game together.

Makes you think, doesn't it, if this is the "best" in the WoW team... Perhaps he'd have left WoW ages ago, everyone knows how bad he is at it, but I don't think he is allowed to, short of leaving the company altogether.

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    edited May 2022
    edited May 2022
    Torval said:

Scot said:

She's also famous for telling EQ players if they aren't raiders, she doesn't care about them. She's a true professional. Professional at what is the question.

https://forums.daybreakgames.com/eq/index.php?threads/holly-quote.224452/
    The producer for LotRO sent the same message in a forum thread stating that people who don't raid don't need good gear. The implication is that they won't be focusing on overland or epic story itemization and that if you want interesting drops you should raid. It makes me wonder if she was hand-picked by Longdale before her departure.

If you mean Raninia, or however it's spelled, he's a guy and his only previous experience is mobile games. Raiding and cash shops are literally his only subjects of knowledge in gaming. He even has a website. http://www.olegbrodskiy.com/
    I am not sure if that is better than being brought straight in to top position from outside the gaming industry. Thinking back now to posters on here and friends who insisted that mobile games would never have an effect on our games, "mobile games are made by different companies" was one memorable quote. Back then of course that poster was right. 
  • ashiru_1978ashiru_1978 Member RarePosts: 818

Mendel said:

Torval said:

As far as I am concerned, her stay at Daybreak was the beginning of the end.  I think that under her leadership, both EQ products slid a lot.

I think they just wanted to put a woman on the position. I personally have not played EQ or other games when she was controlling what goes on in them so I have nothing against her, I also don't play Retail WoW since Cataclysm and the only entertainment I get from it is watching it burn and how much worse can it get, I only play Vanilla WoW on private servers. Maybe it's like you say - her presence will improve things, maybe they will stay the same, maybe they will get worse.
    Scot
  • KnightFalzKnightFalz Member EpicPosts: 4,166
    Torval said:

Scot said:

She's also famous for telling EQ players if they aren't raiders, she doesn't care about them. She's a true professional. Professional at what is the question.

https://forums.daybreakgames.com/eq/index.php?threads/holly-quote.224452/
    The producer for LotRO sent the same message in a forum thread stating that people who don't raid don't need good gear. The implication is that they won't be focusing on overland or epic story itemization and that if you want interesting drops you should raid. It makes me wonder if she was hand-picked by Longdale before her departure.

Do those that don't raid need as good gear as those that do?

The implication is that gear earned in raids will be better than that not, which to me is reasonable as one must face lesser challenges to get it.

I thought earning better gear through raids was typical in games that have them.

Mendel said:

Torval said:

I think they just wanted to put a woman on the position. I personally have not played EQ or other games when she was controlling what goes on in them so I have nothing against her, I also don't play Retail WoW since Cataclysm and the only entertainment I get from it is watching it burn and how much worse can it get, I only play Vanilla WoW on private servers. Maybe it's like you say - her presence will improve things, maybe they will stay the same, maybe they will get worse.
    I think putting a women in under such circumstances is often seen as the right move, but it is not a magic bullet so I do question that idea. She was in the right place, but they could have got a women from elsewhere.