Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Simple games with variety

LerxstLerxst Member UncommonPosts: 647
edited January 2022 in PC Gaming
I'm looking for games like the tile says. Figure maybe people on here can help!

I won't list everything I've played over the past 30+ years, but I do prefer the more sim/management/tactic style games over the first person action RPG types. 

My problem is lately, that a lot of the newer and best games people rave about almost all seem to require hundreds of hours with advanced college degree to decipher. Or others claim to have a variety of open-world features, but you soon discover there's only one "right way" to really play the game with any success.

Games like Stellaris look great on the surface, but require WAY too much of a time investment just to pick up and start learning the basics of. Another game I liked a lot is 7 Days to Die, but that one soon devolves into one single playstyle and punishes any deviation from that.

I want a good solid non-linear game that understands the concept of "easy to learn, difficult to master", that too many modern games seem to have forgotten about.

Any recommendations?

PS - I should also add that I prefer games with some sort of ultimate goal. I have a ton of games on my Steam list that are just aimless. But games like the Civ games have 1 goal out of many you can choose, and a lot of ways to reach it. Other games like Kerbal Space program have a very vague goal "Go to space. Explore a planet" and a variety of ways to reach it.
AlBQuirky

Comments

• ScorchienScorchien Member LegendaryPosts: 8,914
    edited January 2022
    tzervo said:
    Slay the Spire on Steam (steampowered.com)

Awesome game, easy to learn, hard to master, excellent replayability.

Good suggeston ,i was going to suggest a rogue like also ..Ill throw out another...

Dungeonmans may fit the bill...

Ill add

and

Tales of maj E'yal

[Deleted User]AlBQuirky
    tzervo said:
    Scorchien said:
    tzervo said:

Good suggeston ,i was going to suggest a rogue like also ..Ill throw out another...

Ill add

and

Tales of maj E'yal

Heh I was coming back to add Darkest Dungeon, you beat me to it.

they seem to fit the bill for what the OP wants .. all brilliant games with great depth in systems and replayability
    [Deleted User]AlBQuirky
  • lahnmirlahnmir Member LegendaryPosts: 5,041
    Into the Breach, simple to grasp, playable in short bursts and absolute genius. One of the best games in recent years. Cannot recommend enough.

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir
    [Deleted User]AlBQuirky
    'the only way he could nail it any better is if he used a cross.'

Kyleran on yours sincerely 

'But there are many. You can play them entirely solo, and even offline. Also, you are wrong by default.'

Ikcin in response to yours sincerely debating whether or not single-player offline MMOs exist...

'This does not apply just to ED but SC or any other game. What they will get is Rebirth/X4, likely prettier but equally underwhelming and pointless. 

It is incredibly difficult to design some meaningfull leg content that would fit a space ship game - simply because it is not a leg game.

It is just huge resource waste....'

Gdemami absolutely not being an armchair developer

• csaeweaxcsaeweax Newbie CommonPosts: 1
    edited March 2022
    try searching here, as it can help you to play computer on your own phone:
  • TillerTiller Member LegendaryPosts: 11,125
    Simple, kinda linear, but still a fun time waster.

AlBQuirky[Deleted User]Brainy
    SWG Bloodfin vet
    Elder Jedi/Elder Bounty Hunter

• DigDuggyDigDuggy Member RarePosts: 635
    Give Minecraft a try.  There are some neat plugins that can make it just about anything you want.  Graphics can also improve to just about any style and resolution you want.  Plus....and a lot of people forget about this stat, but it's also fun.

AlBQuirkyPhaserlight
  • AlBQuirkyAlBQuirky Member EpicPosts: 7,432
    Tiller said:

I've been watching a YouTuber (Angory Tom) play this game. It does look like good fun that's not too deep :)
    [Deleted User]

- Al

Personally the only modern MMORPG trend that annoys me is the idea that MMOs need to be designed in a way to attract people who don't actually like MMOs. Which to me makes about as much sense as someone trying to figure out a way to get vegetarians to eat at their steakhouse.
    - FARGIN_WAR

• ruzu_yuruzu_yu Newbie CommonPosts: 3
    https://store.steampowered.com/app/108600/Project_Zomboid/

This one is really cool and has great gameplay mechanics. You might find it a little bit complex though but I'd say give it a chance
    [Deleted User]AlBQuirky
  • WalkinGlennWalkinGlenn Member RarePosts: 450
    Potion Craft on Steam. Cant gey any more casual and chill.
    AlBQuirkyTiller
  • BrainyBrainy Member EpicPosts: 2,026
    Tiller said:

Yeah this game here is a Winner 100%.  Best money you can spend right now and only $3 on steam.  Old school graphics I know, but just plain fun.  Played it a few weeks now and when you get into hyper mode and evolved weapons it really starts to shine.

I wish more games understood the concept of fun more.  This game hits the nail on the head. Pure simple entertainment! and no Cash shop, everything is included from what I seen.
    TillerAlBQuirky
    Brainy said:
    Tiller said:

Yeah this game here is a Winner 100%.  Best money you can spend right now and only $3 on steam.  Old school graphics I know, but just plain fun.  Played it a few weeks now and when you get into hyper mode and evolved weapons it really starts to shine.

I wish more games understood the concept of fun more.  This game hits the nail on the head. Pure simple entertainment! and no Cash shop, everything is included from what I seen.

Ive looked at this a few times , and everytime i come to same conclusion .. Robotron with Vampires , Does the game play differ much from Robotron?
    AlBQuirky
  • BrainyBrainy Member EpicPosts: 2,026
    Never played Robotron so cant say sorry.  However I would describe as a cross between Contra and Terraria had a baby.  Its a pretty simple game really, with so many powerups and ways to evolve your weapons into super weapons.  Very fun thou, totally worth $3 will get moneys worth without a doubt.

Dont see the vampire thing in this game much other than I suppose the mobs are themed that way.

I would describe this game, as you build up your super weapons and stack more and more weapons on each other creating even more super weapons, and just killing everything you see.  Throw in some exploration for unlocking evolved super weapons/characters, strategy to evolve your guy into even more awesomeness.  Also you start off with no map but eventually get one via unlocks, which tells you were even more cool stuff is located.

No guide needed to play, anyone can figure it out.  Although if you want to do well in hypermode specific builds will help alot.

Simple pure relaxing entertainment. With tons of Quality of Life improvements for people that have families like a pause button, no xp loss, no death penalty, short 30 minute play windows...  I warn you time will fly with this game, it can eat some hours up in a hurry.
    ScorchienAlBQuirky
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,263
    The user and all related content has been deleted.

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

Like Robotron,  Crimsonland would be a more recent compare for those not familiar with the classic arcade titles 
    I enjoyed throwing quarters in Robotron , so I think I'll give this game a try.. 
    AlBQuirky
  • TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,739
    "Another game I liked a lot is 7 Days to Die, but that one soon devolves into one single playstyle and punishes any deviation from that."

I always try to play it differently when I start a new game.....From what I have heard, A21 will be a bit different so it may have a wider range of gameplay.....Even with the way it is now, I have over 800 hours of time played.
    AlBQuirkyKyleran
    ruzu_yu said:
    https://store.steampowered.com/app/108600/Project_Zomboid/

This one is really cool and has great gameplay mechanics. You might find it a little bit complex though but I'd say give it a chance

I missed something in project Zomboid...I dont know if it just was not in the tutorial or if I just missed it, but I had no idea how to stomp on their heads....Try playing that game without knowing how to stomp......and what I didnt like was really there was no other way to play it, at least not at the start....Guns make too much noise so that isnt really an option for beginning player.
    AlBQuirkyKyleran
    As for recommending a game, I found a fun free one on Steam called Shop Titans....its simple on the surface but gets some nice depth later...There's more strategy than meets the eye and its a fun little time waster.
    AlBQuirkyKyleran
  • UwakionnaUwakionna Member RarePosts: 1,139
    Are bots hyping other bots now?
    AlBQuirky
  • ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,827
    Uwakionna said:
    Are bots hyping other bots now?
    When they only talk to each other and leave us out of the conversation, that's when you should be afraid, very afraid. :)
    KyleranAlBQuirky
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,435
    Scorchien said:
    tzervo said:
    Scorchien said:
    tzervo said:

Ill add

and

Tales of maj E'yal

they seem to fit the bill for what the OP wants .. all brilliant games with great depth in systems and replayability
    I miss Scorch...
    ScotAlBQuirkytzervo

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

Kyleran said:
    Scorchien said:
    tzervo said:
    Scorchien said:
    tzervo said:

Ill add

and

Tales of maj E'yal

I miss Scorch...
    He did too much ranting, but you could guess that from the first sentence and just skip the post. When he was reasoning something out he was a good poster.

Also I miss "Shut up Scorch." :)
    AlBQuirkySovrath
    Scot said:
    Kyleran said:
    Scorchien said:
    tzervo said:
    Scorchien said:
    tzervo said:

Ill add

and

Tales of maj E'yal

I miss Scorch...
    He did too much ranting, but you could guess that from the first sentence and just skip the post. When he was reasoning something out he was a good poster.

Also I miss "Shut up Scorch." :)
    I forgot to mention we have lost Worldsbestdad and Korrigan recently, hopefully they are back soon.
    AlBQuirky
  • JakobmillerJakobmiller Member RarePosts: 674
    Terraria!
    AlBQuirky
  • PhaserlightPhaserlight Member EpicPosts: 3,071
    I didn't like Stellaris, either.

Perhaps give Rimworld a try?  It's sort of like "Dwarf Fortress"-lite; DF is a far more ambitious game, and I struggle to play it although I appreciate its depth.  The ultimate goal in Rimworld is to have your colony survive long enough to escape the planet.

I can't help but think of "Crypt of the Necrodancer" as well, although this does not fit your preferred genre of sim/management.  It's a simple premise, with lots of variety, and very cool mechanics once you begin to master them.  It doesn't "feel" like many other games I've played.
    ScotBrainyAlBQuirky[Deleted User]

"The simple is the seal of the true and beauty is the splendor of truth" -Subrahmanyan Chandrasekhar
    Authored 139 missions in Vendetta Online and 6 tracks in Distance

The best simple game I have played is Shop Titans...it doesnt look like much on the surface, but it is really good imo.
    PhaserlightAlBQuirkySovrath