Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Contemplating buying EQ2, would like some advice.

BeaNo999BeaNo999 Member UncommonPosts: 63

I'm considering buying this game. However, after reading a few things and speakin briefly to some current players I need some advice on what to get/do etc.

Now, theres 2 expansion packs and some adventure packs, are there any that make major changes to the game which i really should get or is the base eq2 game fine for me? If so which ones? I was told to get the Kingdom of Sky expansion as it adds something to do with Char development, is this true? Are there any game packages which add all expansions along with the original game or will i need to buy everything seperatley?

I'm planning on rolling on a pvp server, as pvp is a major part of an mmo for me. Any advice on a char creation will be greatly received as I have never played EQ or EQ2 before, I did run the trial and quite enjoyed my assasin, however I tend to prefer playing healing classes. I have heard this game is very group orientated, is this true and is being a healer likely to get me invited to groups as easy in this game as it is in others?

Other than that some general hints and tips will be greatly appreciated. I've read other posts but never found a direct answer to my first few questons which is my main concern.

Cheers.

Comments

• CelestianCelestian Member UncommonPosts: 1,136

Can't help you with the PVP server issues but I can tell ya about the expansions.

You don't need KoS until you hit 20, at which point you should really get it because you cannot get the AA stuff until you do (you can start earning AA's at 20).  I'd just buy the KoS package cause it comes with "base" EQ2.

DoF you can hold off till mid 40s. At that point though you'd need it for the higher experience level areas (its a 50-60 area) but you can begin playing there mid 40s.

The packs are hit or miss depending on the type of players. I loved Splitpaw, you could level up 20-50 just doing this area (instances scale to the player level).

• lomillerlomiller Member Posts: 1,810

As far as I know you can’t buy a box with just the original game, rather you buy the KoS expansion and you get both the expansion and the original game.  It’s slightly different if you go for digital download, then you only get the expansion but not the full game.  Since the digital download for KoS is the same price as buying a box at your local store, buy the expansion at your local store and you are set for the time being.

What the KoS expansion adds is the ability to reach level 70 and the ability to earn and use achievement points, which are a way of enhancing and customizing your character.  The original game doesn’t let you go past level 50 without an expansion, the DoF expansion takes this to level 60 and the KoS expansion takes it to level 70.  

As far as I know, one you have the KoS expansion you can go all the way to 70 even without the DoF expansion, but I'm not 100% sure as I have never talked to someone who has tried it.  There will be a noticeable content gap between 50 and 55, however as you will not have access to any of the level 50-60 zones.  DoF also has a lot better solo/duo content for characters in the mid to upper 40’s then the original game, so I would encourage you to get it even if you don’t absolutely need it.  You don’t need it out of the gate however, and can put it off until at least the mid 40’s.  

The adventure packs are purely optional but they do have a number of instanced zones you can level in without PvP harassment and may be worthwhile for that reason.

One more thing you may want to do is start on a PvE server until you get your feet wet.  This will allow you to learn the basics of the game without worrying about being killed every few min.

• herculeshercules Member UncommonPosts: 4,924

Originally posted by BeaNo999
    I'm considering buying this game. However, after reading a few things and speakin briefly to some current players I need some advice on what to get/do etc.

Now, theres 2 expansion packs and some adventure packs, are there any that make major changes to the game which i really should get or is the base eq2 game fine for me? If so which ones? I was told to get the Kingdom of Sky expansion as it adds something to do with Char development, is this true? Are there any game packages which add all expansions along with the original game or will i need to buy everything seperatley?

I'm planning on rolling on a pvp server, as pvp is a major part of an mmo for me. Any advice on a char creation will be greatly received as I have never played EQ or EQ2 before, I did run the trial and quite enjoyed my assasin, however I tend to prefer playing healing classes. I have heard this game is very group orientated, is this true and is being a healer likely to get me invited to groups as easy in this game as it is in others?

Other than that some general hints and tips will be greatly appreciated. I've read other posts but never found a direct answer to my first few questons which is my main concern.

Cheers.

If the assasin is what intrests you then read my thread just a few down on this page about assasin.It says most of what you need to start up.

If you want a healing class then currently there is one class that stands out on pvp server above the rest.Its the fury.Basically a battle druid that heals well and drop good dmg.

Mind you i see a nerf inc for them in the next few months so be prepared.But they are good fun as far as healers go.

If you are prepared to be a tank then bruiser and monk are the most powerful of them all in pvp.Mind you if you roll a guardian and are selective on you guild pic(ie wait till say 50 and guild up ) you probably have a more enjoyable ride as the pvp servers severely lack them and everyone wants one for their pve raids to gear themselves.