Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Boycotting Russian games.

13»

Comments

• Asm0deusAsm0deus Member EpicPosts: 4,407
    Tokken said:
    Not everyone in Russia condones what's happening in Ukraine.  Boycotting Russia is too generalized.

That's the point of such sanctions to make there people of russia at least a little uncomfortable considering how they are making the people in Ukraine feel...all in the attempt to get people to take Putin down one way or another.
    Tokken

Brenics ~ Just to point out I do believe Chris Roberts is going down as the man who cheated backers and took down crowdfunding for gaming.

• QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,355
    Tokken said:
    Not everyone in Russia condones what's happening in Ukraine.  Boycotting Russia is too generalized.
    Whether people in Russia support the war or not, any money that they make gets taxed by the Russian government.  As with any other boycotts or sanctions, you can't surgically hurt the people you want to hurt without there being any collateral damage.
    TokkenAmaranthar[Deleted User]
  • TwistedSister77TwistedSister77 Member EpicPosts: 1,144
    EA is removing Russian teams from FIFA :open_mouth:

Some international cat association is banning Russian breed cats from competitions.

The virtue signaling is very strong.  
    [Deleted User][Deleted User]UngoodRungarTokken
  • ChampieChampie Member UncommonPosts: 169
    I can say one thing about this thread. I am keeping track of every comment and I will forever judge you harshly for what you write here. Lots of respect will be lost and some will be found, but this is JUDGEMENT DAY from my perspective

Let's see what you got....
    [Deleted User]delete5230
  • ArglebargleArglebargle Member EpicPosts: 3,396
    I am not buying any new Russian designed games.  Not that I normally care that much about  the nationality of game designers.  But presently personally finding it difficult to even play those games that  are in my library.    Personal choice.  

I'm already sending money to support Ukraine's military, and intend to continue.  

It's going to be a humanitarian disaster, no matter what.

None of the post-Soviet successor states with any sort of popular input want to be subservient to the present Russian Bear.  For very good reasons that they know close up and personal.

As for the oil and gas cutouts to Russian sanctions, that's due to the expediency of wintertime issues in Europe.  Come spring, that will be on the table as well.  And it appears that 40+% of pre-war Russian income comes from that source. We'll see how successful a Russian pivot to China might be, though they have to be cognizent of the possibility of becoming a veritable Chinese client state.

All in all, it sucks, in every aspect, games included.
    [Deleted User]Amaranthar[Deleted User]

If you are holding out for the perfect game, the only game you play will be the waiting one.

• UngoodUngood Member LegendaryPosts: 7,532
    edited March 2022
    I know that I shall meet my fate
    Somewhere among the clouds above;
    Those that I fight I do not hate
    Those that I guard I do not love;
    My country is Kiltartan Cross,
    My countrymen Kiltartan’s poor,
    No likely end could bring them loss
    Or leave them happier than before.
    Nor law, nor duty bade me fight,
    Nor public man, nor cheering crowds,
    A lonely impulse of delight
    Drove to this tumult in the clouds;
    I balanced all, brought all to mind,
    The years to come seemed waste of breath,
    A waste of breath the years behind
    In balance with this life, this death.

W.B. Yeats
    [Deleted User]ChampieOldKingLogAmaranthar
    Egotism is the anesthetic that dullens the pain of stupidity, this is why when I try to beat my head against the stupidity of other people, I only hurt myself.

• WarWitchWarWitch Member UncommonPosts: 351
        I started the thread to simply get people to think.
    It saddens me That America has fallen to the point that is more concerned over the cost of gas than thousands of people's lives.
    Could this be what foretold of in the Book? the Bear from the north?
    I've prayed. I've sent money to help those displaced. I simply was wondering what we could do as gamers to try and shine some light on something that is terribly wrong. Sadly, it's all about oil money. They discovered huge oil and natural gas in Ukraine that's why American oil companies went there to help them extract it, which would be competition to Russia. We are so blessed here to have so much freedom, I simply wish it was that way all over the world.
    Amaranthar
  • DattelisDattelis Member RarePosts: 1,458
    I'm doing my best to boycott anything associated with Russia simply because anything you engage with connected to Russia goes to their government in some form, which started the events going on now. So my view is giving them money or companies still doing business with Russia is me supporting what's happening which I do not condone. That helps me sleep better at night at least.
    Amaranthar
  • SavageHorizonSavageHorizon Member EpicPosts: 3,466
    Pathetic, how about boycotting American Nato country games for the mayhem they have coursed over the last 20 years.

Iraq Libya and several other wars while robbing the countries of there wealth. Countless women,children bombed onto the ground. 

Where is your moral high ground in this. How about the thousands of people Ukraine have killed over the last 8 year in Donbass,women,children and old men.

Guess bombing and killing is only good when America and Nato are doing it,right?
    [Deleted User]Rungardelete5230AmarantharVermillion_Raventhal

• WarWitchWarWitch Member UncommonPosts: 351
    Pathetic, how about boycotting American Nato country games for the mayhem they have coursed over the last 20 years.

Iraq Libya and several other wars while robbing the countries of there wealth. Countless women,children bombed onto the ground. 

Where is your moral high ground in this. How about the thousands of people Ukraine have killed over the last 8 year in Donbass,women,children and old men.

Guess bombing and killing is only good when America and Nato are doing it,right?
    I am happy to live where we have the freedom to say, protest for or against anyone even the government, post on the web, whatever we want to, Worship or not, and even boycott whatever we want to. I hope in time everyone can.

But would never force that on people who want to be told what they can and can not say, not allowed to protest, post on the web, can or can not worship, etc.

Have many Russian friends from gw2 mostly, we even hired them to come to BlackGate to fight, at off-hours, heard many stories. back when we used team speek.
  • ShaighShaigh Member EpicPosts: 2,142
    If you want to do something that matters, send help to the organizations that aid ukrainian citizens stuck in warfare zones, send help to the organizations that aid ukrainian citizens that has fled their countries. Thay way you are helping people that are experiencing their worst weeks in their lives.

The russian people never wished for this war, its the mad leadership, people stuck in an era that doesn't exist anymore. They are the ones that should be punished for this war.
    OldKingLog[Deleted User]Scot
    Iselin: And the next person who says "but it's a business, they need to make money" can just go fuck yourself.
  • VrikaVrika Member LegendaryPosts: 7,888

The big difference is democracy: USA and Nato went after dictators. They never tried to topple democratic governments and prevent people who were allowed to choose their own leaders from doing so.

As for Russian's kills in Donbass over the years, everyone except Russians should know the problem's mostly been a foreign government supporting separatists in Ukraine.
    Amaranthar

• OldKingLogOldKingLog Member RarePosts: 567
    Shaigh said:
    If you want to do something that matters, send help to the organizations that aid ukrainian citizens stuck in warfare zones, send help to the organizations that aid ukrainian citizens that has fled their countries. Thay way you are helping people that are experiencing their worst weeks in their lives.

The russian people never wished for this war, its the mad leadership, people stuck in an era that doesn't exist anymore. They are the ones that should be punished for this war.

Or if you're really on your high horse, like the OP, and have the skills, medical, military, law enforcement, logistics, etc. Contact the local Ukraine embassy and sign up with their militia, and get your sanctimonious ass to Ukraine. Once there draw your weapons and ammo, put on your flack vest and the rest of your kit and get stuck in with the rest of these poor souls. ... or maybe you could just quit being such an armchair virtue signaling d-bag.

People being more worried about the things that effect them directly, poverty, scarcity, potential homelessness, etc, more than a conflict half the world away is completely understandable, and acceptable. Being too busy trying to keep a roof over one's head as our so called leaders let our own societies rampage closer to the edge of economic ruin doesn't equate the lack of sympathy for others whose lives have also become turmoil.

I guess if you really want to help, the best place to start is at home. Stop voting for weak leaders who worry more about potentially offending someone, or lining their own pockets through political machinations that also increase the grip of iron-fisted dictators.

Ungood
  • BLNXBLNX Member UncommonPosts: 275
    Shaigh said:

Or if you're really on your high horse, like the OP, and have the skills, medical, military, law enforcement, logistics, etc. Contact the local Ukraine embassy and sign up with their militia, and get your sanctimonious ass to Ukraine. Once there draw your weapons and ammo, put on your flack vest and the rest of your kit and get stuck in with the rest of these poor souls. ... or maybe you could just quit being such an armchair virtue signaling d-bag.

People being more worried about the things that effect them directly, poverty, scarcity, potential homelessness, etc, more than a conflict half the world away is completely understandable, and acceptable. Being too busy trying to keep a roof over one's head as our so called leaders let our own societies rampage closer to the edge of economic ruin doesn't equate the lack of sympathy for others whose lives have also become turmoil.

I guess if you really want to help, the best place to start is at home. Stop voting for weak leaders who worry more about potentially offending someone, or lining their own pockets through political machinations that also increase the grip of iron-fisted dictators.

I don't know about you, but I always start with the weakest leader I can. I enjoy my life (and government) to have a high difficulty curve.
    OldKingLog[Deleted User]
    In the King's Court, I choose to be the Jester.
  • ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,991
    Shaigh said:

But that would involve spending my time and or money. What I want to do is virtue signal with a tweet or withhold my custom which costs me neither. Then I can get on my moral high horse and ride of into the sunrise with my Twitter followers.

(I know, I know, I said I would not post again)
    [Deleted User]TwistedSister77
  • IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    We have a rookie in the hockey team I follow, the Canucks, who is Russian. No way in hell I or anyone else is boycotting Podkolzin even though a notoriously flaky hall of fame Czech retired goalie, Dominik Hasek, is calling for all Russian NHL players to be suspended.

That's just taking things to idiotic personal levels.

I bet @Kyleran doesn't want Kucherov suspended from his Lightning either :)

[Deleted User]
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

This discussion has been closed.