Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Embers Adrift Enters Beta Today As Alpha NDA Drops | MMORPG.com

SystemSystem Member UncommonPosts: 12,599
edited March 2022 in News & Features Discussion

imageEmbers Adrift Enters Beta Today As Alpha NDA Drops | MMORPG.com

Embers Adrift alpha testers can finally talk about their experience in the MMO as the NDA dropped today alongside the indie game moving into its beta testing phase.

Read the full story here

Ungood

Comments

• TokkenTokken Member EpicPosts: 3,549
    edited March 2022
    It's getting closer. Does anyone have any thoughts about the game they can share? Is it worth playing?
    Post edited by Tokken on

Proud MMORPG.com member since March 2004!  Make PvE GREAT Again!

• SophusVir33SophusVir33 Member UncommonPosts: 60
    Why all games have these old outdated graphics. Looks like original ever quest.
    ashiru_1978Mikeha
  • Slapshot1188Slapshot1188 Member LegendaryPosts: 16,983
    Interesting.  Will have to load it up.

All time classic  MY NEW FAVORITE POST!  (Keep laying those bricks)

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

Proudly wearing the Harbinger badge since Dec 23, 2017. 

Coined the phrase "Role-Playing a Development Team" January 2018

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

• UngoodUngood Member LegendaryPosts: 7,530
    I hate to say it, but it looks like they did better without Tim. Rather amazed they are starting Beta this soon.

I might check them out.. gonna see what the next 3 months looks like.
    Egotism is the anesthetic that dullens the pain of stupidity, this is why when I try to beat my head against the stupidity of other people, I only hurt myself.

• vtravivtravi Member UncommonPosts: 398
    I forgot about this game. I donated to their kickstarter years ago. So I am able to play the BETA. It seems to be offline now, but I will give it a shot
  • KataalKataal Member UncommonPosts: 173
    I have been following this game for a while and definitely want to play it. However, I can't bring myself to buy it until the servers are at least online more than a few days a week. I was really hoping beta would mean 24/7 servers, but it seems that's not the case yet.
  • ashiru_1978ashiru_1978 Member RarePosts: 818

LOL, your eyes must be very bad, you should update your prescription. xD

Graphics are vanity and people who measure games' fun factor by their graphics are vain, too vain to be taken seriously. I would use words as "shallow" to determine them as well, but my intention is not to insult anyone, just to point out the obvious facts and truths of the matter.

In reality, a game's real measurement of fun, replay value and whatnot comes from:

- gameplay mechanics
    - gameplay loop
    - freedom to enjoy the game however you like rather than how a developer intended it for players
    - (something like a reiteration of the above) ways to play the game differently and for different goals than what the developers want

A perfect example - a brand new game - Elden Ring. Looks nice by modern standards, but despite the graphics quality, the art, atmosphere and everything looks samey and boring. The UI is horrible for mouse and keyboard and worse of all - the gameplay is boring and monotonous and despite the open world it doesn't give the player any freedom to do what they want - there is one goal - complete a set of tasks in order to advance to the next stage, everything else can only be considered as preparation for that, no other reason. A game like this despite looking nice in a way isn't fun or having replay value, when a game as old as The Elder Scrolls 3 Morrowind that looks quite outdated by modern standards offers more replay value and freedom to chase your own goals and find enjoyment and sense of progress in doing different things than following the main quest.
    lahnmirMensurYashaX
  • kitaradkitarad Member LegendaryPosts: 7,910
    This is that Renfeil (sp)'s right. Saga of Lucimia. Hmm they are in beta, well that was quick.
    OldKingLog

• waveslayerwaveslayer Member UncommonPosts: 511
    looks interesting, I like the graphics(if I want realism I will go outside), only reason to hesitate for me is I like occasional PvP ala WoW, SWtoR. Only PVE game I like right now is LotRO and its the story that drives that game for me, if Embers has good story then it may be a win.

Godz of War I call Thee

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,002
    Because they are indy games and it takes a lot of money and talent to make a modern looking, slick game.
    KidRisk[Deleted User]Kyleran
    Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,002

LOL, your eyes must be very bad, you should update your prescription. xD

Graphics are vanity and people who measure games' fun factor by their graphics are vain, too vain to be taken seriously. I would use words as "shallow" to determine them as well, but my intention is not to insult anyone, just to point out the obvious facts and truths of the matter.

Well, I wouldn't go that far lest I start using the "people who don't appreciate aesthetics are probably the socks and sandal variety garden gnome."

There's also the idea of "graphics" and "Art Design."

The Graphics for Darkest Dungeon are exceptionally low. The Art Design is very high. So I'm not sure what they are really griping about..

But, having said that, for me if the art design isn't good, I don't care how good  the game is I won't play it.

For me there is another axis that has to be taken into account and that is how the game looks. Great Graphics can definitely help that but not every game needs to render sun motes and complex shaders.

I wouldn't call people who appreciate/need great graphics or great art design shallow. I would note that they have an appreciation and need for yet another dimension of presentation.

[Deleted User]kitaradKidRisk
    Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • ashiru_1978ashiru_1978 Member RarePosts: 818

Sovrath said:

I wouldn't call people who appreciate/need great graphics or great art design shallow. I would note that they have an appreciation and need for yet another dimension of presentation.

People whose first complaint is graphics will 99% not play the game due to the graphics not being up to par with their standards. That's the problem.

Not many people who are stopped by the graphics not being what they expect them to be go beyond that point and try to appreciate a game for its other merits.

That's like not wanting to talk to/associate with/be friends with someone in real life, because they are ugly or they don't look as good as your expectations are. The analogy is 100% accurate. What do you call such people? To me the description "a**ogant a**holes" comes to mind.
    Kataal said:
    I have been following this game for a while and definitely want to play it. However, I can't bring myself to buy it until the servers are at least online more than a few days a week. I was really hoping beta would mean 24/7 servers, but it seems that's not the case yet.
    Yah.. Crowfall really spoiled with a live Beta.
    Egotism is the anesthetic that dullens the pain of stupidity, this is why when I try to beat my head against the stupidity of other people, I only hurt myself.

tzervo said:
    Ungood said:
    I hate to say it, but it looks like they did better without Tim. Rather amazed they are starting Beta this soon.
    Not sure how much this is true, since it was not obvious how close they were to the beta at the point of his departure (or was it?).

I am happy that he is gone though, he was always sounding too arrogant and full of himself and I would expect this to hurt the decision making for the game.
    I really don't know the guy, just second hand mostly, so I am not going to piss on someone that I don't really know.

But, I do know a lot of doomboi's were crying that letting him go and not making a huge ass deal of the change over from Saga to Embers, and all that changing the whole lore of the game would basically turn the game into vaporware.

Now, Beta is being launched, so.. they seem to be doing quite good for themselves with this project. Not sure what else changed behind the scenes beyond letting Tim and his brother go, but, whatever they doing, they seem to be making some rock solid progress.

Better then some other games.. cough.. cough.
    [Deleted User]kitarad

• AngrakhanAngrakhan Member EpicPosts: 1,164

So you either never played the original EverQuest or this is supposed to by hyperbole. Let's do some actual comparison. Watch a few seconds of the above video, take note of the lighting, the detail in the environment, and the animations and then let's compare that to the actual original EverQuest:

http://www.kgadams.net/EQ_Images/Feb19_5.jpg
    [Deleted User]
  • OldKingLogOldKingLog Member RarePosts: 564
    kitarad said:
    This is that Renfeil (sp)'s right. Saga of Lucimia. Hmm they are in beta, well that was quick.

Ah thank you. I was wracking my brains trying to figure out if I'd ever heard of this game before. So what happened? Did Renfail walk away and they switched to a new IP?
  • MachkeznhoMachkeznho Member UncommonPosts: 424
    potential scratch the itch until pantheon comes out title, nice.
    Ungood
  • RenfailRenfail Member EpicPosts: 1,638
    kitarad said:

Ah thank you. I was wracking my brains trying to figure out if I'd ever heard of this game before. So what happened? Did Renfail walk away and they switched to a new IP?
    Nope. See this post for a little clarity. My brother and I did not walk away from the project, and they have always had/still have the full rights to make an MMORPG based on the Saga of Lucimia IP https://www.patreon.com/posts/45324189
    OldKingLogUngood[Deleted User]KidRisk
    Tim "Renfail" Anderson | Wandering Hermits Patreon
  • OldKingLogOldKingLog Member RarePosts: 564
    Renfail said:
    kitarad said:

Nope. See this post for a little clarity. My brother and I did not walk away from the project, and they have always had/still have the full rights to make an MMORPG based on the Saga of Lucimia IP https://www.patreon.com/posts/45324189

Ah so this is like a fork project for them?
    Renfail said:
    kitarad said:

Not sure what you mean by a fork project, but AFIK, Embers Adrift is Stormhaven Studios one, only, and flagship game.

Anyone else know if they have made other games?

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498
    Ungood said:
    Renfail said:
    kitarad said:

Not sure what you mean by a fork project, but AFIK, Embers Adrift is Stormhaven Studios one, only, and flagship game.

Nope, pretty much same game with IP stripped off, probably some design changes, but not sure though
    [Deleted User]

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498
    Renfail said:
    kitarad said:

Ahh, so they either bought you guys out for big bucks or they punted you.

;)
    [Deleted User]

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

Kyleran said:
    Ungood said:
    Renfail said:
    kitarad said:

Nope, pretty much same game with IP stripped off, probably some design changes, but not sure though
    Alright.. but what does Fork Project mean?

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,263
    edited March 2022
    The user and all related content has been deleted.

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,263
    The user and all related content has been deleted.

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다