Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Amazon, Intrepid even Visionary Realms all show potential and may pave the way for others.

2»

Comments

• RungarRungar Member RarePosts: 1,132
    edited February 2022
    i think what he was getting at is that this will likely be full hardcore woke so wont appeal to many of us obsolete old-schoolers. 

Brainy
    .05 of a second to midnight
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,508

If Amazon has taught us anything it's that money doesn't correlate to quality when it comes to games or TV.

I disagree on the TV part.

For instance, The Expanse is an awesome Sci-Fi series, one of the best created these last years since Battlestar Galactica, and if the upcoming Lord of the Rings one is even just half as good, it will be great too.

Watch this in its entirety and tell me this will be good.

Why would it be bad ? Because they suck at interviews and are black ?
    Oh please...
    Naw, clearly because they are Brits and their tastes are always suspect.

;)
    The_KorriganKidRiskScot

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,508

If Amazon has taught us anything it's that money doesn't correlate to quality when it comes to games or TV.

For instance, The Expanse is an awesome Sci-Fi series, one of the best created these last years since Battlestar Galactica, and if the upcoming Lord of the Rings one is even just half as good, it will be great too.

Oh please...

Umm...   ...   no? Not where I was taking that at all.
    "Why were the rings even made?"
    "...if Sauron is hot, maybe I can fix him."
    "*starts rapping* I'ma make a ring right now,"

Did you even watch it? If you watched this video and came up with that response I think you might be completely fucked in the head, sorry son.

So because they suck in an interview.

Thankfully, on a movie set, there's a director and they can't just rap the ring. There are many actors who behave like total idiots or asshats when they aren't acting.

Scot said:
    Guys can we just ask posters to keep calm and carry on posting, otherwise it can get way too personal.

We can live without the self appointed moderator too.
    Nothing personal either.
    Scots just trying to help posters out, he well knows there are evil bastards lying in wait to report folks and give them some time off to reflect on the errors of their ways.  

>:)
    [Deleted User]KidRiskBrainy

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,986

Oh please...

Umm...   ...   no? Not where I was taking that at all.
    "Why were the rings even made?"
    "...if Sauron is hot, maybe I can fix him."
    "*starts rapping* I'ma make a ring right now,"

Did you even watch it? If you watched this video and came up with that response I think you might be completely fucked in the head, sorry son.

So because they suck in an interview.

Thankfully, on a movie set, there's a director and they can't just rap the ring. There are many actors who behave like total idiots or asshats when they aren't acting.

Scot said:
    Guys can we just ask posters to keep calm and carry on posting, otherwise it can get way too personal.

We can live without the self appointed moderator too.
    Nothing personal either.
    I think the onus is on all of us to "moderate" if that's how you see it.
    KyleranBrainy
  • TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,754
    Wasn't New World supposed to be the next great MMORPG?
  • OldKingLogOldKingLog Member RarePosts: 564
    nurso said:
    Companies that aim to cater to mass tastes should not be expected to create anything better than an average gaming experience. This eliminates giants like Tencent/Riot, Microsoft/Blizzard, Amazon, etc. Only average games are likely to come from these companies.

In my opinion, it would be good if a somewhat smaller, i.e. a double-A publisher, would take an interest in MMORPGs. Because at this scale you get the best of both worlds: Audio and graphics show quality, and the publisher is willing to occupy niches rather than cater to the mass market. Paradox is a perfect candidate, IMO.

You want a company whose only successful and well known games are all real time strategies to stop and make an MMORPG? Call me crazy but making games is kinda hard, especially MMORPGs. There's probably good reason that they stick to what they know.
    Paradox needs to release VTMB2 before I can even consider anything else that will never come out.

Well oddly enough this strategy worked like gangbusters for old school Blizzard.
    [Deleted User]nurso[Deleted User]KidRisk
  • MendelMendel Member LegendaryPosts: 5,609
    tzervo said:
    Scot said:
    I think the onus is on all of us to "moderate" if that's how you see it.
    Kyleran said:
    Scots just trying to help posters out, he well knows there are evil bastards lying in wait to report folks and give them some time off to reflect on the errors of their ways.  

>:)
    While I appreciate Scot's effort and I think it is done in good faith, it is eventually futile, because none of us are really controlling or affecting the process (apart from those doing the reporting obviously).

When logic, humor and appealing to their humanity haven't worked, what else can you do?  Keep up the good work, @Scot.

If the only tool you have is a report button, every post appears to be a reportable offense. B)

Kyleran

Logic, my dear, merely enables one to be wrong with great authority.

• IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    Rungar said:
    i think what he was getting at is that this will likely be full hardcore woke so wont appeal to many of us obsolete old-schoolers. 

"old-schooler"... is that the latest attempt to sanitize "bigot"?
    [Deleted User]
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

edited February 2022
    Iselin said:
    Rungar said:

Vehemently disagree with this statement. This being a show based on Tolkien's works means the target audience should be Tolkien fans first. And no that does not mean that they should avoid the casting of non-white actors. Because guess what? There are Tolkien fans all around the world. Those fans seeing themselves represented by casting choices I feel is a positive addition. However it is incredibly wrong to hijack an intellectual property to use it as a soap box for your own personal agenda. Something that has been happening with appalling regularity. There's nothing wrong with entertainment existing to simply entertain. It doesn't always have to preach some portentous "message" and use it to beat its viewers over their heads to get their attention.

• RungarRungar Member RarePosts: 1,132
    edited February 2022
    im a merit guy. When you have the best principle you dont trade it in for a lesser one or in the case of these days, no principles at all. 

giving people things for any reason other than merit ends in destruction. It is what it is.   

Brainy
    .05 of a second to midnight
    edited February 2022
    Iselin said:
    Rungar said:

Vehemently disagree with this statement. This being a show based on Tolkien's works means the target audience should be Tolkien fans first. And no that does not mean that they should avoid the casting of non-white actors. Because guess what? There are Tolkien fans all around the world. Those fans seeing themselves represented by casting choices I feel is a positive addition. However it is incredibly wrong to hijack an intellectual property to use it as a soap box for your own personal agenda. Something that has been happening with appalling regularity. There's nothing wrong with entertainment existing to simply entertain. It doesn't always have to preach some portentous "message" and use it to beat its viewers over their heads to get their attention.

The thing is that it doesn't "preach" anything to me. Casting women and POC in any show about anything is an inconsequential minor detail to me.

I do wonder about those who think it's a huge deal and that they're being preached at.

And BTW, fuck Tolkien. Peter Jackson did a much better job telling the LOTR stories than he did.
    [Deleted User]TwoTubes
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

― CD PROJEKT RED

Iselin said:
    Iselin said:
    Rungar said:

The thing is that it doesn't "preach" anything to me. Casting women and POC in any show about anything is an inconsequential minor detail to me.

I do wonder about those who think it's a huge deal and that they're being preached at.

And BTW, fuck Tolkien. Peter Jackson did a much better job telling the LOTR stories than he did.

I think I made it quite clear that I don't see casting women and P.O.C. as being "woke".

What I do fear though is that they'll try to make their Tolkien story an annoying parable to current real world problems rather than just attempt an entertaining story.

And hark at the crazy person. Peter Jackson is a hack. Ok don't really mean that last part, but the guy really did make some painfully silly changes. The elves at Helms Deep or the Oath breaker ghost army mcguffin, meh, but a spider with a fucking STINGER!!?? Instead of fangs? WTF!?

And let's not even begin to discuss the Hobbit films.

IselinKidRisk
    Iselin said:
    Iselin said:
    Rungar said:

I think I made it quite clear that I don't see casting women and P.O.C. as being "woke".

What I do fear though is that they'll try to make their Tolkien story an annoying parable to current real world problems rather than just attempt an entertaining story.

And hark at the crazy person. Peter Jackson is a hack. Ok don't really mean that last part, but the guy really did make some painfully silly changes. The elves at Helms Deep or the Oath breaker ghost army mcguffin, meh, but a spider with a fucking STINGER!!?? Instead of fangs? WTF!?

And let's not even begin to discuss the Hobbit films.

You and I must watch entertainment differently. I watch it to be entertained or turn it off if I'm not. I don't make notes about inconsistencies with the original source if it has one because that detracts from the entertainment value of what I'm watching... speaking of "...just attempt an entertaining story." :)
    [Deleted User]TwoTubes

― Umberto Eco

― CD PROJEKT RED

• BLNXBLNX Member UncommonPosts: 275
    Iselin said:

fuck Tolkien.
    That's messed up. I disagree
    Whoa, watch the harsh language @worldsbestdad .
    [Deleted User]ScotKyleran
    In the King's Court, I choose to be the Jester.
    tzervo said:
    Scot said:
    Money doesn't guarantee anything, but a small budget will give you a small result, in gaming that means a smaller game with less content. You can have a large budget and waste it, you see that everywhere from business to government projects, games are no different.
    Smaller teams can cut down on graphics, or make other "structural" decisions without compromising on content richness. See for example Albion, which is packed with content  and systems (small scale PVP, large scale PVP, instanced PVP, crafting, islands, instanced and OW PVE, very well fleshed gathering with its own gearsets and progression, NPC black market, faction warfare, city plots etc) because they made conscious decisions to go for a lower graphical fidelity, a top down (functionally) 2D movement in the in-game world and not overly complicated combat system.

Numerous small-team or one-man-team examples in the single player space as well.

Small teams can still provide a very rich experience (or a very poor one) content-wise depending on how they decide to do the cost-cutting.
    I agree but for me when it comes to MMOs the cost to graphics is too high. This comes from expecting MMOs to be bigger games and with identifying more with my avatar when I play with other players. So it is a double standard, while I am happy to play a solo like Darkest Dungeon I would not want to see that in a MMO or solo RPG experience. Graphics appeal on a very personal level, more than most realise I think, many people I have spoken too about this think I am being far to fussy; but there it is.
    Iselin said:
    Iselin said:
    Rungar said:

I haven't even been following your casting confrontation but Jackson lucked out with his Lotro films as much as anything. He did his best work when he felt he had to follow Tolkien's plot and characterisation. When he did the Hobbit and felt he could bring his own "vision" to Tolkien's work, we got unmitigated trash.
    BrainyKyleranIsilithTehroth