Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

How Blue Protocol Can Displace Genshin Impact as the Top Anime RPG in The West | MMORPG.com

SystemSystem Member UncommonPosts: 12,599
edited February 2022 in News & Features Discussion

imageHow Blue Protocol Can Displace Genshin Impact as the Top Anime RPG in The West | MMORPG.com

When Genshin Impact launched in 2020, developer MiHoYo expected the game to succeed in China, Southeast Asia, Korea, and other East core markets. But the game broke all expectations, and the Chinese free-to-play mobile game managed to catch the attention of over 10 million players in a matter of weeks. However, one MMO might supplant the RPG if it gets the wide-release fans are hoping for: Blue Protocol.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Pher0ciousPher0cious Member RarePosts: 484
    Let's be real, genshin impact copied Blue Protocol. It's what china does, they copy.
    PetitSoldatSaruomoMargraveWalkinGlenn
    ('''\( ',.:.,' )/''')
  • XiaokiXiaoki Member EpicPosts: 3,847
    Let's be real, genshin impact copied Blue Protocol. It's what china does, they copy.

Genshin Impact was officially announced a couple weeks before Blue Protocol.
    Kyleran
  • Asm0deusAsm0deus Member EpicPosts: 4,404
    edited February 2022
    Eh battlepass....really just another type of monthly sub isn't it?

Brenics ~ Just to point out I do believe Chris Roberts is going down as the man who cheated backers and took down crowdfunding for gaming.

• RemaliRemali Member RarePosts: 914
    Is blue protocol a true mmo or a coop game though?
    strawhat0981
  • WhiteLanternWhiteLantern Member RarePosts: 3,309
    Asm0deus said:
    Eh battlepass....really just another type of monthly sub isn't it?
    Yes, just an optional one.

I want a mmorpg where people have gone through misery, have gone through school stuff and actually have had sex even. -sagil

• maskedweaselmaskedweasel Member LegendaryPosts: 12,178
    Remali said:
    Is blue protocol a true mmo or a coop game though?
    Supposedly a full MMO. But I guess only time will tell how it turns out.
    [Deleted User]

• OziiusOziius Member UncommonPosts: 1,406
    Is Blue Protocol still even a thing in the West? I know we haven't heard a peep from the devs for some time now. I'm worried this will never hit the West. I was super excited for it, but it's not looking good.
  • BootezBootez Member UncommonPosts: 72

*coughs* uh, you mean Breath of the Wild.
    WhiteLanternk61977Phoenix_Hawk[Deleted User]
  • AeanderAeander Member LegendaryPosts: 7,836
    If it doesn't involve gacha, it will already be far superior. If it does, then it's of no interest to me, my wallet, nor my mental health.
    Asm0deusPetitSoldatMcSleazTacticalZombehBLNXRemaliDarkpigeonKyleran
  • TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,751
    Don't know why but Anime doesn't ever interest me one iota
  • Phoenix_HawkPhoenix_Hawk Member UncommonPosts: 290
    edited February 2022
    miHoYo screwed up so much with Genshin, that so long as there is a Western release at least around the initial Japanese one, and it is in a better state than Tower of Fantasy was at launch, then it sure as hell better take a good chunk out of Genshin's player base.

Genshin is a casual events focused game, largely geared towards solo play. The people looking for "end game," hours of daily play, multiplayer, and challenging content from it need to wake up, and accept that Genshin won't provide them with that. Lost Ark likely already took a decent number of people that want such things from the games they play, so Blue Protocol should take the rest.

The banner mechanics, and rates in Genshin are about as bad as they come, and pale in comparison to those in their other game, Honkai, so it takes far more pulls to get what you want than in Honkai, yet they provide about as many, or less pulls in the same period of time through game play in Genshin. The artifact system is beyond utter trash, and I feel was made garbage on purpose, as they intended to add better ones to banners in time, hence the reason the artifact inventory has always been checked for space when pulling in banners. Progressing our characters is far more hassle than it should be in such a game, as they just keep adding more new stuff to farm with each new major region, and 5* character release, that is locked behind its stamina system (resin), and may also be time gated (weekly boss drop).

The list of issues just keeps going on, yet they have not done a thing to address any of the big ones. Supposedly they were as surprised as everyone else by the huge surge in popularity Genshin enjoyed at launch, and mostly still has, so I feel they're hesitant to change much of anything, for fear it will harm its popularity. Although if they don't deal with such issues, things like the character progression one at least will only continue to get worse, and act as a barrier to new players. I feel there's a large number of people just waiting for something to come along, that makes them want to drop Genshin, with Blue Protocol looking to be one of those games.
    Post edited by Phoenix_Hawk on
    Talin
  • madazzmadazz Member RarePosts: 2,107
    It is this websites duty to label games properly. You lose all credibility when you label games incorrectly.

Blue Protocol is a lobby based game. The cities can have up to 200 people which is a glorified chat zone. Zones where the gameplay takes place can hold up to 30 players. Dungeons are up to 6 players.

So how is 30 players an MMO? Oh it's not and you need to fix the title.
    maskedweaselTalin
  • eoloeeoloe Member RarePosts: 864
    Aeander said:
    If it doesn't involve gacha, it will already be far superior. If it does, then it's of no interest to me, my wallet, nor my mental health.

I play Genshin since last November, and I think its business-gacha model is rather reasonable and especially manageable...

This is due to its pity model (like many other gacha games) and also to its generosity regarding the availability of the main virtual currency (primogems).

Phoenix_Hawk
  • AeanderAeander Member LegendaryPosts: 7,836
    eoloe said:
    Aeander said:

I play Genshin since last November, and I think its business-gacha model is rather reasonable and especially manageable...

This is due to its pity model (like many other gacha games) and also to its generosity regarding the availability of the main virtual currency (primogems).

I played for months, and I am laughing at the notion of its primogems being generous. Even with a subscription, it doesn't give you enough regular gems for a single daily roll. "Generous."

And its "pity" system is a mere compensation for its substandard pull rates. The pull rate is so piss poor that its pity rate is literally higher than its pull rate. And what gacha needs a pity rate for 4 stars anyway?

It is factually stingy, even by gacha standards.
    TacticalZombehPhoenix_HawkKickaxe
  • LackingMMOLackingMMO Member RarePosts: 664
    The only rates worse than genshin I have seen are in Star Wars galaxy of heroes. If this game gives you ways to get their currency in game and has better rates (if that's the course they are going) then I think genshin could lose out to them. Still early, still need to see and learn more before there is any comparisons.
  • Morfo2Morfo2 Member UncommonPosts: 127
    I would love to see Bandai Namco converting Blue Protocol to an Open World MMO.
    The game looks beautifull but I don't like instance zones, I want to explore the world by true freedom.
  • BLNXBLNX Member UncommonPosts: 275
    Morfo2 said:
    I would love to see Bandai Namco converting Blue Protocol to an Open World MMO.
    The game looks beautifull but I don't like instance zones, I want to explore the world by true freedom.
    I would also love to see a company do work to localize and update games. They won't though.
    In the King's Court, I choose to be the Jester.
  • KratierKratier Member RarePosts: 626
    the game has been available for some time, and lots of people have played it, footage of blue protocol is available. its nothing like genshin, its another mmo , with classes.
    genshin is singleplayer
  • NeoyoshiNeoyoshi Member RarePosts: 1,129
    There have been no official confirmations this game is even coming to the west. The only thing people have are speculations based on leaks that are now taken down and some of which can only be accessed via the Wayback machine; like a supposed website trademark and English translator hire that was never even confirmed.

And all this happened before Covid, so things changed.

It's possible we might get a global release, but again, it's never been officially confirmed by Bandai; which is kinda their M.O. anyway- which means, we'll only truly know when a English version is ready to launch when it actually exists, and THEN they'll announce it.

Fishing on Gilgamesh since 2013
  • kitaradkitarad Member LegendaryPosts: 7,910
    edited February 2022
    madazz said:
    It is this websites duty to label games properly. You lose all credibility when you label games incorrectly.

Blue Protocol is a lobby based game. The cities can have up to 200 people which is a glorified chat zone. Zones where the gameplay takes place can hold up to 30 players. Dungeons are up to 6 players.

I do not know about the 30 people part have not seen that limit honestly in any of the stuff I've read about Blue Protocol but laying that aside I just want to address one thing that has changed over the years.

Used to mean
    Massively multiplayer online games (MMOs) are video games that include hundreds or thousands of players who interact simultaneously in a persistent virtual world.

This has been changed by both publishers and developers to a shared world that only gives the potential of interacting simultaneously. I am not arguing whether this is right or wrong but that many games like Fortnite and PUBG and others have a lot of players interacting with each other and I believe is not persistent but they are in a shared world and they are interacting. Lot of shooters and survival games are now called MMOs on tags on Steam , Humble Bundle and gaming platforms. MOBAs are referred to as MMOs too. They seem to interchange multiplayer with massively sometimes.

Of course we can jealously try to guard these definitions but words and meanings change with how games have changed from when Everquest was released and even Everquest we had a lot of zones where players could only interact with the players in that zone. Can you truly consider Everquest an MMO in that meaning I gave when the game had zones? Yes it had a persistent world but you could only interact with the people in that zone while you were in it. It is interesting that even the grandfather of this genre was not truly an MMO.

Mind you MMORPGs are merely a subgenre of an MMO.

I don't want to quarrel over semantics I am just saying that definitions have evolved and far be it for me to stop you from tilting at windmills but it's never going back to that pure definition because of money. Money has made those games that call themselves MMO a big business because in a shared world where millions of players could play with each other, it seems to be enough for the masses of players flocking to these games that they have this possibility of playing with all those people. The tags have power. 

Don't blame this site for following the trend.
    Kyleran

• MensurMensur Member EpicPosts: 1,512

Xiaoki said:

Genshin Impact was officially announced a couple weeks before Blue Protocol.

It means they have spies! kek

mmorpg junkie since 1999

• MargraveMargrave Member RarePosts: 1,362
    Very much looking forward to Blue Protocol launching in The States.

Me want.
    maskedweasel
  • Phoenix_HawkPhoenix_Hawk Member UncommonPosts: 290
    edited February 2022

madazz said:

Older MMOs in particular did allow for huge groups of 100+ players all fighting some big boss, or what not at the same time. These days though, what with them being more action combat oriented, as well as trying to make them look more impressive than older titles did, the number of people playing together has gone down. Take Blade & Soul (which no one should bother with these days by the way), I doubt most anyone would argue against it being a MMO, but in the open world it caps out at thirty something players in an instance, raids were two teams of six, but most content was done with one team of six.

I do feel many over the years have been trying to call every online service based game, a MMO, and it does also annoy me. Heck, I've even seen people try to call Genshin a MMO before. Blue Protocol at least is more in the area of Blade & Soul for player counts, so while on the low side compare to older titles, I'll at least be more willing to go along with the idea that it's a MMO, than many other games people try to call MMOs. Also, supposedly Japanese companies try to avoid the MMO tag, as they feel it would scare off too many of their intended Japanese market.

kitarad said:

madazz said:

==Stuff clipped so my post doesn't look HUGE.==

I've seen a lot of people try to claim that the meaning of MMOs have evolved, it hasn't. Has the meaning of single player evolved in all these years? They both address the same thing, it's just that many have taken to adding new qualities to MMOs, beyond it just being an online service based game, that allows a great many people to actively play together. The extra qualities I've seen people try to associate with being a MMO, I've found are just qualities of being a RPG, like persistence, and progression. Also MMOs are not a genre, just as single player games are not a genre.

There are many people that still claim the earth is flat, even though they use the Internet, will travel by plane, and so on. Just because some people believe something that isn't true, should we all just go along with it?

I feel sites/services/etc should add the tags 'online service game,' and 'massively multiplayer' as two separate tags. This way a game can be marked as an online service, then they can indicate if it's a single player, multiplayer, or massively multiplayer game, so things are more accurate.
  • kitaradkitarad Member LegendaryPosts: 7,910
    edited February 2022
    I do agree that adding multiple tags is a good idea. That way they can hit all the bases like when I put vids up on youtube I try to add as many tags as I can think of so that when people search for something my video will come up. It doesn't mean that they are not going to misclassify the games though just give it more descriptors is all.

It all depends on what the marketing folk think will ensure their game gets the attention they need to make it successful. This isn't about being accurate it's all about sales. As long as that is the consideration anything that is the 'it' word will get used. The next trend is NFTs and blockchain.

Imagine that in a  few years they might do away with the acronym MMO altogether if it brings a connotation that isn't desired.

I think we as players know the difference and can decide for ourselves without labouring over these descriptions. Whatever you decide to call something isn't going to change it's nature.

• eoloeeoloe Member RarePosts: 864
    edited February 2022

Aeander said:

eoloe said:

Aeander said:

I played for months, and I am laughing at the notion of its primogems being generous. Even with a subscription, it doesn't give you enough regular gems for a single daily roll. "Generous."

And its "pity" system is a mere compensation for its substandard pull rates. The pull rate is so piss poor that its pity rate is literally higher than its pull rate. And what gacha needs a pity rate for 4 stars anyway?

It is factually stingy, even by gacha standards.

I get what you say and I must agree.

However, I play only since November with 2 months of welkin(a mere $5/month) and I had no problem to secure 2 important 5 stars characters (Eula & Ganyu) and a 5 stars weapon. In the process I got many 4 stars characters, some being considered "meta" such as Bennett (c0 unfortunately), Xiangling (c4), and Xinqiu (C5). I lost my last banner 50/50 to Qiqi(another 5 stars character, that I got), so I get to choose my next five stars (between Kokomi, Raiden and Kazuha, the choice will be hard.....)

To get all of these, I paid only $10 and was not even particularly lucky. I won 2 50/50 out of 3, which is just above average. I got Ganyu on soft pity (~70 pulls), which is expected. However I got lucky on Eula, got it after 30 pulls only. Well, it is part of the game.

But my son, was really lucky the other day and got 2 five stars, Mona and WGS (an amazing greatsword) in just a few rolls! I was jealous!

So, I understand what you say. But I come from BDO, where the game is really a marathon and when I decided to play Genshin, I was looking for a similar grinding game. So I have absolutely no problem to plan over months/years. At least Genshin does not put your progression in jeopardy like BDO does. They do not even rebalance OP characters!

I have absolutely no problem to pay the $5 optional monthly subscription. The combat in this game is great IMHO. It is so good that I have no problem to enter the hamster wheel that I would judge stupid in another game:

I indeed do have fun!

However, I will not pay for the other packages that are totally overpriced and aimed at whales.

Overall, I think the game does a good job in many aspects, and its popularity is not only justified by anime fans (the open world is amazing). For one, I despise the art style of the characters. In the anime world, I prefer more serious styles, such as the Ghost in the Shell one. Kawaï is not my thing, and I started Genshin late because of this. Moreover, its stellar popularity finances Mihoyo more than well. In return, the stream of new content is continuous. Therefore, having a Genshin account sounds like a good gaming investment.

Kyleran