Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Red Dead Redemption Online

AlBQuirkyAlBQuirky Member EpicPosts: 7,432
Is anyone here playing this online game?

If so, what are the thoughts on it?

Is it even close to an MMORPG, or more like a limited server set up?

- Al

Personally the only modern MMORPG trend that annoys me is the idea that MMOs need to be designed in a way to attract people who don't actually like MMOs. Which to me makes about as much sense as someone trying to figure out a way to get vegetarians to eat at their steakhouse.
- FARGIN_WAR

Comments

• DafAtRandomDafAtRandom Member UncommonPosts: 124
    It's not an MMORPG.  It is more a lobby with different mission types you can undertake.  Think GTA Online with less people playing, less things to do, less things to buy, less variety in missions, less rewards and less fun.
    AlBQuirkyBLNX
  • AlBQuirkyAlBQuirky Member EpicPosts: 7,432
    It's not an MMORPG.  It is more a lobby with different mission types you can undertake.  Think GTA Online with less people playing, less things to do, less things to buy, less variety in missions, less rewards and less fun.

Thanks. I had heard it called "MMO" somewhere, so I wanted to check :)

- Al

Personally the only modern MMORPG trend that annoys me is the idea that MMOs need to be designed in a way to attract people who don't actually like MMOs. Which to me makes about as much sense as someone trying to figure out a way to get vegetarians to eat at their steakhouse.
    - FARGIN_WAR

• TwistedSister77TwistedSister77 Member EpicPosts: 1,144
    AlBQuirky said:

Thanks. I had heard it called "MMO" somewhere, so I wanted to check :)
    Like GTA online, there are servers that push up the population cap... but generally, we're talking under 50 for Red Dead 2.  GTA has up to  ~250 player servers, which is very decently populated throughout the city.
    AlBQuirky
  • cameltosiscameltosis Member LegendaryPosts: 3,706
    I didn't realise that GTAO had pushed up the limit to 250! When I gave it a try, the limit was 32!

How do you choose a server for GTAO? Are they all 250 players now, or do you have to do something to get onto the 250 servers?

I imagine it would be carnage, even with only 32 players I was forever having someone fire a rocket at me from miles away when i was on a mission.
    AlBQuirky
    edited February 2022
    I didn't realise that GTAO had pushed up the limit to 250! When I gave it a try, the limit was 32!

How do you choose a server for GTAO? Are they all 250 players now, or do you have to do something to get onto the 250 servers?

I imagine it would be carnage, even with only 32 players I was forever having someone fire a rocket at me from miles away when i was on a mission.
    The big servers actually have their own private, for profit, devs. Many charge a small monthly sub, but they are worth it.

If you like roleplay, and devs that create new content(buildings, items, mechanics of bank jobs, cars, very active GMs)... also enforced rules around pvp (called NVL... not valuing life... meaning going on a rampage for zero RP reasons will get you a ban)... 100% human police force, courts, politicians, businesses...  check out NoPixel.  

There are public NoPixel servers and then the Whitelist server (you have to apply, literally the top streamers on twitch are on there).  

However, check around... there are competitors that have different rulesets and mechanics per your tastes.

I highly suggest you watch gameplay of the particular server before committing (twitch, youtube, etc).

FYI the devs of NoPixel said several months ago that they were going to attempt to increase the population cap for Red Dead Online... like the did for GTA.  Not sure what the status of that project is currently.
    cameltosis[Deleted User]AlBQuirkyTheDalaiBomba
    Stizzled said:

I've never seen a lobby with that many players in GTAO. As far as I'm aware the cap for both GTAO and RDO is 32 players, and the same for the popular private RP servers.

That said, most of the lobbies I see in RDO are never full. They usually sit at around 15-20 people, or sometimes less. It's usually pretty easy to go off to some uninhabited part of the world and ignore other players if you wish to. That is, until a hacker joins and teleports everyone to the same area before blowing everyone up. Happens far more often than you might expect.

GTAO is still far more popular and better developed. I like RDO as a cowboy simulator, the immersion is top notch. But, it doesn't provide the same amount of activities or customization that GTAO does.

GTAO is about being a drug kingpin flying hover bikes and blowing shit up with missiles, sometimes with Dr. Dre.

RDO is about being every Western stereotype at once while hunting and fishing, sometimes with zombies.
    FYI.. they are private servers, not public lobbies.  You can see right now 200+ people on GTAO White Label NoPixel single server... just pop onto twitch or watch vods on YouTube.

Really cool to see how over 200 players, with different character motives, jobs, activities... all interact with each other.

[Deleted User]AlBQuirky
    Stizzled said:
    Stizzled said:

I've never seen a lobby with that many players in GTAO. As far as I'm aware the cap for both GTAO and RDO is 32 players, and the same for the popular private RP servers.

That said, most of the lobbies I see in RDO are never full. They usually sit at around 15-20 people, or sometimes less. It's usually pretty easy to go off to some uninhabited part of the world and ignore other players if you wish to. That is, until a hacker joins and teleports everyone to the same area before blowing everyone up. Happens far more often than you might expect.

GTAO is still far more popular and better developed. I like RDO as a cowboy simulator, the immersion is top notch. But, it doesn't provide the same amount of activities or customization that GTAO does.

GTAO is about being a drug kingpin flying hover bikes and blowing shit up with missiles, sometimes with Dr. Dre.

RDO is about being every Western stereotype at once while hunting and fishing, sometimes with zombies.
    FYI.. they are private servers, not public lobbies.  You can see right now 200+ people on GTAO White Label NoPixel single server... just pop onto twitch or watch vods on YouTube.

Really cool to see how over 200 players, with different character motives, jobs, activities... all interact with each other.

Not into the private server scene for these games. A quick glance over Google results showed many of them still had the 32 limit. Outdated information or a comprehension failure on my part, no doubt.
    Yeah, no biggie.  The big private servers charge a sub, because they actual have their own dev teams to pay for (zero affiliation with Rockstar).  I can understand if people don't want to pay a sub or are worried about the rulesets by the server owners.
    AlBQuirky
  • AlBQuirkyAlBQuirky Member EpicPosts: 7,432

The big servers actually have their own private, for profit, devs. Many charge a small monthly sub, but they are worth it.

If you like roleplay, and devs that create new content(buildings, items, mechanics of bank jobs, cars, very active GMs)... also enforced rules around pvp (called NVL... not valuing life... meaning going on a rampage for zero RP reasons will get you a ban)... 100% human police force, courts, politicians, businesses...  check out NoPixel.  

There are public NoPixel servers and then the Whitelist server (you have to apply, literally the top streamers on twitch are on there).  

However, check around... there are competitors that have different rulesets and mechanics per your tastes.

I highly suggest you watch gameplay of the particular server before committing (twitch, youtube, etc).

FYI the devs of NoPixel said several months ago that they were going to attempt to increase the population cap for Red Dead Online... like the did for GTA.  Not sure what the status of that project is currently.

I'd heard about NoPixel before. It's cool that they're looking at Red Dead Redemption, too :)

- Al

- FARGIN_WAR