Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Developing game with some foreign language

KopogeroKopogero Member UncommonPosts: 1,685
One thing I don't get is you build a game for profits, success...yet you choose to make it on some language that a fraction of the world uses, when it's crystal clear English is the global language I and most learned to use.

So, I see Russian, Korean and other asian games being pumped on their own language....and I simply don't see how is this helping their product. What's creating is just more work for translation/patching as well as more delay before they reach other market....essential time they are losing and allowing their competitors to release better products by the time they are finished with the language.

Blade and Soul, Phantasy Star Online 2 and other great games that have come and coming out recently are the reason why I had to bring this issue. Do they really have developers so uneducated that they don't know English or do they have other agendas behind this?

Comments

• ForgrimmForgrimm Member EpicPosts: 3,059
    Blade and Soul came out years ago in China and Korea. It wouldn't have made any sense for it to be initially developed in English.
  • kitaradkitarad Member LegendaryPosts: 7,919
    edited January 2016
    Games like Phantasy Star Online is made for the Japanese market and Asian market . It is for their market and people who enjoy those games and like Final Fantasy too these were initially for those markets with flavour and content appreciated by those markets. If I'm not mistaken Phantasy Star Online 2 is still not available for play in the West unless they use a program to add the English translations and use the Japanese servers. The version that the Singaporeans and other South East Asian countries use is IP restricted and many patches behind the Japanese version. Believe it or not their primary market is not Western.

Also anime is made for the Japanese market and it is subsequently brought to other markets and translated. These are created for the Japanese market initially. A lot of the complaints about the type of art and content is often also as a result of cultural differences when these forms entertainment is brought to the West. 

Blade and Soul is a Korean game that is again made for their market that has a large following for these types of games. Why would they develop the games in English when their primary market is Korean and Asian ?

When there's a demand for these games to be imported is there a need to translate them . Even today you still play many Japanese RPGs in Japanese with fan based translation because they are just not available and if you love the Japanese CRPG and other games you accept that this is the only way to get access to them. You'll grow old waiting for them to be translated and finally accessible to the English speaking market so many of us settle for fan based translation of well loved titles.
    Post edited by kitarad on

• KopogeroKopogero Member UncommonPosts: 1,685
    Forgrimm said:
    Blade and Soul came out years ago in China and Korea. It wouldn't have made any sense for it to be initially developed in English.
    See, two things that don't make sense to me here. Why they decide to release their game in these countries, when they also want to release it in other regions like the west now?

And these countries are so third world that their population don't even understand English? Is that the other thing this developer is trying to say by your statement for choosing to release it in a language the fraction of the world uses, over releasing it in English, that would speed up the process in releasing it everywhere else.

If you actually followed some of the development and read any manga or watched anime you will realise that these games are not made with the goal of bringing them to the West initially. It is only as companies like Squarenix and some other publishers want to expand and get a market share do they make them in Japanese and English. However this has nothing to do with education.

All these countries study English in schools too at even a primary level. So not understanding English isn't the reason at all. 

• DeivosDeivos Member EpicPosts: 3,692
    You do realize the eastern market for MMOs is bigger than the western market...right?

If you're talking about localizing for the greatest market success, then Chinese or Korean should be one of the first languages to develop the game for.

One criticism where translation goes wrong though, aside from just poor linguistics, is UI design is seldom done with the thought of how different languages are going to fit within said UI. German for example requires around 50% more space than English does, and has been used as the benchmark for enterprise software at places like Oracle for knowing what to do for their UI elements so that it doesn't cause later issues when translating to different languages.

"The knowledge of the theory of logic has no tendency whatever to make men good reasoners." - Thomas B. Macaulay

"The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge." - Daniel J. Boorstin

edited January 2016
    Possibly the OP does not realise the huge RPG market in Asia and how these games develop there. He is only aware of the translations and has not understood that many great games actually come from Asia mainly Japan for instance like Metal Gear Solid  and Final Fantasy franchise. He just sees it in English and makes the assumption. Similar to the shallow understanding of the education level of these so called ''third world countries'.

I am from Asia and I had to learn 4 languages in primary school. Don't assume that we third world countries don't get a proper English education.
    nurso

• AnirethAnireth Member UncommonPosts: 940
    Games get translated anyway. Most games and any other product with significant text (even if it's only the 2 line instruction on the packing etc.) that are sold in the EU get translated to German, French, Spanish and Italian at least. Most also feature Finnish, Swedish, Norse, Dutch, Slovenian, Hungarian and so on. To *additionally* translate it into English is almost no effort compared to that.

Most Asian games feature only Japanese and/or Korean, making an additional language a far greater part of the total development, especially if the languages are not related but completely different. And it's a wasted effort if it's never released in the west, as they certainly want to have Japanase/Korean, as thats the main market.

Another thing: They do not develop games in a foreign language. Thats the whole point. Japanese/Korean is their mother tongue, and English is the foreign language. And until the internet really took off, which isn't all that long ago, the average person was far less fluent in English (and other foreign languages, but English especially), making it not really useful to have it available in English outside of English speaking countries.

I'll wait to the day's end when the moon is high
    And then I'll rise with the tide with a lust for life, I'll
    Amass an army, and we'll harness a horde
    And then we'll limp across the land until we stand at the shore

• laxielaxie Member RarePosts: 1,118
    edited January 2016
    Kopogero said:
    One thing I don't get is you build a game for profits, success...yet you choose to make it on some language that a fraction of the world uses
    I think you answered it yourself.

Every development decision is linked to profits. Translating a game is no exception. They crunch the numbers and if it is profitable enough, they translate it. Any AAA product likely has the budget to translate it to multiple languages.

I agree with you that English is the universal language. I am not a native speaker, yet I prefer having everything in English. At the same time, I am an exception among my friends. Most of my friend love it when a game is localised into our own language - voice acting especially. Warcraft 3 comes to mind. It had particularly memorably voice acting which made the game extremely popular at home.

My guess is, the main reason games are localised, is to beat competition. If Warcraft 3 was the only strategy game out there, would my friends still play it in English? Definitely. Now imagine three strategy games come out at the same time - one of them being localised in my country with flawless voice acting. Chances are majority of my friends will pick that game up over the others.

I was really suprised that League of Legends is localised, fully voice acted, into many languages. They have to voice act every new character they add. But when you think about it, the price it costs to voice act everything (only a fraction of the development costs) is probably worth it. If this move makes sure 10% of players who would pick up Dota2 pick League of Legends instead, it will pay back big time.
  • SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,011
    Kopogero said:
    One thing I don't get is you build a game for profits, success...yet you choose to make it on some language that a fraction of the world uses, when it's crystal clear English is the global language I and most learned to use.

It makes more sense to create a product in their own language. How are they going to be successful if they constantly visit their project but it's in a completely different language? Just because many people speak English (not most and apparently Mandarin is spoken most by population) doesn't mean everyone speaks english or speaks it well.

Suppose you worked at a company and they told you that all your work had to be done in a different language?
    Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • PemminPemmin Member UncommonPosts: 623
    Kopogero said:

So, I see Russian, Korean and other asian games being pumped on their own language....and I simply don't see how is this helping their product. What's creating is just more work for translation/patching as well as more delay before they reach other market....essential time they are losing and allowing their competitors to release better products by the time they are finished with the language.

Blade and Soul, Phantasy Star Online 2 and other great games that have come and coming out recently are the reason why I had to bring this issue. Do they really have developers so uneducated that they don't know English or do they have other agendas behind this?
    because its securing a known market before expanding. each region has particular nuances about them that may not appeal to other regions, thus a lengthy and expensive localization process is involved(going beyond just translation).

Also the western markets tend to be more competitive and less lucrative(for a variety of reasons) on a per game basis.
  • WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    OP what you are seeing is LOCALIZED versions,meaning the KOREAN or RUSSIAN version is ONLY targeting local players ,they are not targeting English players.

FFXI is the only game i have ever seen that actually created a "translator" so that all languages could play together and communicate as well.Now of course they don't deserve full praise as that was a needed move since the servers all ran out of JPN.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• AnthurAnthur Member UncommonPosts: 961
    First, english is NOT the global language. There is no language spoken by more people on this planet, about 1.5 billion, that is true. But there are currently more than 7 billion people living on this planet. So close to 6 billion have no clue about english. This planet is not even close to have a global language.

I wish there would be global language. Would help a lot so people understand each other. Be it English, Hindi, Russian whatever.

Second there are other markets than the western one which are quite huge too, even bigger than those in the west. And then there are those regional differences. Not every product which sells well in one region has the same success in other parts of the world. Strange, isn't it ?

E.g. asian MMOs are quite often a success in the east but not so much in the west. Which has nothing to do with the language.
  • KopogeroKopogero Member UncommonPosts: 1,685
    edited January 2016
    I also owe it so much on gaming in my early years...to pick up English and understand it earlier than my friends in school. This also helped with grades as well as for me to enjoy fully everything else like all those RPG's than came on Super Nintendo, PSX, etc...

Thanks to games being brought on English in my very small country back then...they helped me to pick up English and educate me basically for free. So, I'm very grateful I wasn't born in one of those countries where most is translated to my native language, and when something else is in this "foreign English" I would never get to fully enjoy or even hear about.

It would also completely suck if I was 20+ year old learning basic English. Much much easier to learn it from when I was 5-6 year old. So, I'm very thankful again and proud of my country for what it did for me.

• KiyorisKiyoris Member RarePosts: 2,130
    My English is better than many native speakers, but I still am far more comfortable in my own language. If something is translated in my language, I will always prefer it over English.

You never completely master a language, only people who grew up with the language feel like it's theirs.
  • KiyorisKiyoris Member RarePosts: 2,130
    Anthur said:

I wish there would be global language.
    There is, it's called Esperanto.
  • flizzerflizzer Member RarePosts: 2,454
    There is a language other than English used in MMOs?   Weird. 
  • snahtajainsnahtajain Newbie CommonPosts: 1

SevenMentor's German language Classes in Pune targets furnishing corporate and the hopeful understudies with top notch schooling for German language. Eventually the objective is to make German Academic turn of events and learning as connecting with and fun that helps experts, understudies accordingly removing the pressure by concentrating on an unknown dialect.