Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Mortal Online 2 Apologizes for Login Issues - States Servers are Not at Capacity | MMORPG.com

SystemSystem Member UncommonPosts: 12,599
edited January 2022 in News & Features Discussion

imageMortal Online 2 Apologizes for Login Issues - States Servers are Not at Capacity | MMORPG.com

It is not uncommon for MMORPGs to face a number of issues on launch, and Star Vault's Mortal Online 2 if no exception. The Founder of Star Vault Henrik Nyström released a statement yesterday via their website to apologize for the ongoing server queue issues related to logging into Myrland from Haven, and detailed the gameplan on fixing the problems.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Slapshot1188Slapshot1188 Member LegendaryPosts: 16,986
    Someone really needs to ask them why they installed new server hardware and network structure the week before launch but after the testing was closed.

This seems like such an obvious bad move...
    maskedweaselRoin

All time classic  MY NEW FAVORITE POST!  (Keep laying those bricks)

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

Proudly wearing the Harbinger badge since Dec 23, 2017. 

Coined the phrase "Role-Playing a Development Team" January 2018

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

• tohaku33tohaku33 Member UncommonPosts: 11

Someone really needs to ask them why they installed new server hardware and network structure the week before launch but after the testing was closed.

At this time we do not have the capacity to support your request. We apologize for the inconvenience and thank you for your understanding.
    maskedweaselKyleranmarcjt20RoinTacticalZombehGamePlay4U
  • KratierKratier Member RarePosts: 626
    watched a twitch person play it, and servers were like dying as he was playing, constant DCs and eventually it just straight up died
    maskedweasel
  • marcjt20marcjt20 Member UncommonPosts: 107
    Becareful what you say in Discord, They Banned me when I asked why they lied about having a login queue, when Wireshark results show no active conenction to the server and just a repeating request for server access every 4 seconds.

maskedweaselKyleranvelimiriusViper482ashiru_1978
  • Aegrin56Aegrin56 Member UncommonPosts: 14

They installed the server hardware before testing and then had players test it for a week. The disingenuous nature of your post belies the fact that despite being "Legendary" with over 11,000 posts one can be for the most part lying.
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,508
    marcjt20 said:
    Becareful what you say in Discord, They Banned me when I asked why they lied about having a login queue, when Wireshark results show no active conenction to the server and just a repeating request for server access every 4 seconds.

This was unexpected?  Not wise to walk into a man's house and call him out as a liar, even if you think you have proof of your claim.

maskedweaselvelimiriusTacticalZombeh

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• mcrippinsmcrippins Member RarePosts: 1,626
    I read that all servers are located in Europe. Won't be trying this unless they decide to add NA servers.
    maskedweaselAlomar
  • yonpachiyonpachi Member UncommonPosts: 191
    It's just sad that the server couldn't handle 6k players without subjecting people to a very long queue line. There's just no excuse, especially if they marketed the game as an MMORPG. 

No wonder their Stock price lost half of their value 

strawhat0981
  • killimandroskillimandros Member UncommonPosts: 64

Not to mention patching the game first on launch day instead of letting players patch as soon as the last beta was over. Instead of logging in and play, servers were fucked already at that point.
    They ALSO decided to "test" Nvidia now service the day of the actual launch. And there is no AFK timer, so IF you actually manage to play, you will see towns where most are AFK somewhere.
    Just reading up a record on why previous launches have failed should have excluded the majority of the fuck ups. But, I assume henrik and the devs never really thought interest and demand would be so high, which could explain the reason why they were so unprepared.
    maskedweasel
  • ashiru_1978ashiru_1978 Member RarePosts: 818
    edited January 2022
    I think they either didn't estimate how many people will want to play their game or thought that the initial influx will subside and things will go back to normal.

People are constantly defending this as "Durrr, every MMORPG launch has been like that.. durr.."

I remember back in 2014 when Aura Kingdom launched, I had set up an alarm to wake me up at 03:00 or 04:00 just so I can play the game at launch even at the cost of sacrificing sleep, but it wasn't that bad. There were some issues connecting and queues, but they got fixed in a matter of hours.

I was even there in 2011 at the launch of Forsaken World - also not as bad and fixed in about 2-3 hours. Not days or weeks or months or years, like Mortal Online 2. This only happens to incompetent companies/developers who are way in over their heads.

This is entirely on these developers for making such miscalculations. This will be biting them in the ass for some time...
  • RoinRoin Member RarePosts: 3,444

Aegrin56 said:

They installed the server hardware before testing and then had players test it for a week. The disingenuous nature of your post belies the fact that despite being "Legendary" with over 11,000 posts one can be for the most part lying.

Your post isn't painting them in a better light. Your post just makes them sound incompetent.
    Slapshot1188maskedweaselGamePlay4U

In War - Victory.
    In Peace - Vigilance.
    In Death - Sacrifice.

edited January 2022
    Aegrin56 said:

1. Yes I was partly wrong as there was limited testing up to 2-3 days before launch, but the numbers were a tiny fraction. They did not test the final server configuration at all however as that didn't happen until the day of launch.
    2. The issues, they have admitted, are related to server configuration and how nodes are handled
    3. They had to bring in outside network people to try to help them fix stuff because its fucking SETUP WRONG.

But keep on being "disingenuous" and try to make Slapshot the issue and not the disaster of a launch they self-inflicted on themselves again.

maskedweasel

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

• Viper482Viper482 Member LegendaryPosts: 4,065

marcjt20 said:

That tells me all I need to know about them.
    Make MMORPG's Great Again!
  • Viper482Viper482 Member LegendaryPosts: 4,065

marcjt20 said:

If your such a knowledgeable person, you would know that you can not see any server connections with wireshark. Or are u running the wireshark on their server? :)

That your client is trying to connect every 4 seconds seems perfectly normal as its probably requesting heartbeats or calling to the login server where the server is not replying as its busy already polling other network congestion queues.

So calling someone a liar without proving anything is just disturbing the crowd for no reason.

It would have been better to help them debug your client tcp/ip findings.

Could be all the clients have some buggy code running in the tcp stack where they are all flooding the server with handshake tries, and that could be very well be the issue of their servers falling apart..

Still not not be banned for it. This sounds just like ZOS, who will ban anyone who criticizes their game on the official forums.
    ashiru_1978Alomar
    Make MMORPG's Great Again!
  • ashiru_1978ashiru_1978 Member RarePosts: 818
    edited January 2022

Viper482 said:

marcjt20 said:

If your such a knowledgeable person, you would know that you can not see any server connections with wireshark. Or are u running the wireshark on their server? :)

That your client is trying to connect every 4 seconds seems perfectly normal as its probably requesting heartbeats or calling to the login server where the server is not replying as its busy already polling other network congestion queues.

So calling someone a liar without proving anything is just disturbing the crowd for no reason.

It would have been better to help them debug your client tcp/ip findings.

Could be all the clients have some buggy code running in the tcp stack where they are all flooding the server with handshake tries, and that could be very well be the issue of their servers falling apart..

Still not not be banned for it. This sounds just like ZOS, who will ban anyone who criticizes their game on the official forums.

That's true, I've been warned multiple times on their forums for the weirdest things. For example I post a thread with suggestions how to optionally make the game more challenging only for those who want it without affecting those who like it as it is.

Then the imbecilic whale noobs who suck at the game so bad they can't tell their left from their right jump me and start provoking me with things like:

"The game is fine as it is, if you want more challenge, play the game naked."

or

"If you don't like how it is, go play Game A, B, C."

And when when I try to defend myself or tell them that this doesn't even affect them and this is not their place, I'm the one who gets warned, my posts get deleted and these stupid losers go unharmed.

• laseritlaserit Member LegendaryPosts: 7,591

The only reasons I can come up with is that for reasons out of their control. The server equipment was bogged down in supply chain issues and the team foolishly decided to hide that from their potential customers.

or

They found out during the Beta test the the current equipment was not adequate  and had to scramble to get something that is.

I’m sure I’m missing more possible reasons, but the important thing is to be honest with your customers.

Imho

Slapshot1188

"Be water my friend" - Bruce Lee

Interesting Q&A posted on their Discord:

Robmo — Today at 2:26 PM
    Team questions

1. How many members of your team are able to deal with the networking/login issues?

3 main experts are working on the login/network issues as a main focus.

2. The mods are deleting a lot of posts about refunds

The mods job is to keep the discord/forums civil and clean from spam and trolling and insulting each other. We want players to be able to enjoy their time in our community and have valid questions and discussions. We have covered the refund question in which we refer to steams rules and policy in which we follow and direct our players to.

3. What is your developer hiring plan look like? What priorities of skills do they have?

We are looking to expand the team in a controlled way, we will list all our positions we are looking for on our company website.

4. What is the Team Up to?

Our team are obviously just as keen on getting the login bottleneck under control as any player buying the game that expect to be able to login directly. What’s important is not to overwork us which could end up in a worse state if we do bad coding or simply collapse which would delay our progress rather than hasten it. I can assure you that we do everything we can that is humanly possible to work on the main issue that effects everyone in a negative way.

5. It has been brought up that you had sold a portion of your stocks in the company a few months ago. Can you comment?

This is something I want to be very clear on. I founded this company 2005 and I’ve invested in this company as much as possible every year and in every emission to both cover my shares and control in the company and because I simply believe in my life’s work. I am in this for the long run and I’ve always increased my shares in the company so far. Of course, I also have a long-term goal in being able to get rewarded by my hard work rather then just investing in the company, but that will of course only happen when we reach our goals. Currently we have indeed reached a very big milestone with the number of players buying the game but since we have issues with the login systems the majority of the players are not happy with the game, very understandably so. This means we must fix this main issue so reviews of the game can be based on the actual game experience again rather than being stuck in a queue. I am here to stay until we reach our all goals and that wont change. I also have a backbone of investors that is in the same position which makes me feel very confident and secured, but of course I feel that its vital that I deliver and show that we reach the goals I’ve set up for us.
    [2:32 PM]
    Refunds

1. Will you connect with Steam and allow them to give players refunds for the game? The queue time is causing many players not being able to refund.

This is entirely up to how Steam handle the refunds, we have contacted them and explained exactly our situation and that we are working on solving the login issues. They have confirmed and are monitoring our progress and we work together on this.

2. Are you going to stop sales?

Similar as above, Steam decides if we should stop the sales at this point, it’s a few important questions that determines this even if we would like to do it right now. Also, since we expect to have the main issue sorted this week, they want to follow up on that before we look into a possible other step. But if we can solve the login issue, the main issue will be solved and players will be able to play the game and judge the game correctly.
    NEW

Robmo — Today at 2:45 PM
    The Game Itself

1. Will crafters get clade experience in the future?

There will be a few more cases to get clade xp in the future, such as doing specific tasks for instance.

2. Regarding subscriptions, when will that be turned on and how will we know when it is turned on? Does buying a copy of the game give you the first month free, or the first two months? There is some confusion.

We will update everyone on this question, first we need to solve the login system and bottlenecks on Myrland so people get into the game in a reliable and stable way. As soon as we meet the requirements here, we will announce when the free time included in the game starts.

3. Pets can now be named awful slurs, we may need to add a filter to pet names

We are receiving this feedback and will handle this as soon as we can. Same rules apply to pet names such as using chat and character names and will be dealt with our staff. We are also looking into expanding into a banned words/names which will be a WIP.

4. After the server issues are done, can we have a Queue Boss Slayer title?

Indeed, the login boss is a crazy boss we need to beat once and for all!

5. PvP in Haven, via duels?

We will add a duel command as soon as we can, it’s a desired function for everyone.

6. Pets are losing loyalty on disconnects, is there a possible fix for this?

Data needs to be passed on to our coders so they can investigate.

7. There is a big where after the queue fails or crashes, they get stuck in a “logging in” loop instead of “you are connected to the server queue”

Yes this is the big task we doing right now, rebuilding into a proper more robust for a lot of players queue login system.

8. Does our EULA have anything to do with racism and harassment?

There are rules that covers this on our website in which the EULA refers to.

9. There is an issue where players are crashing and their bodies are stuck in Nave, this makes it so they cannot return

They should time out after our latest fix. If this doesn’t work yet our GMs can disconnect it to help until its verified working.
    [2:46 PM]
    10. Is the team aware for floating stationary mobs?

I’m sure if its reported in game with position, everyone in the team are working on polish while we focus on the login issues.

11. In Haven, the text when clicking the Haven statue to Myrland says, there is no queue, players feel misled?

This check seems broken indeed. Will be changed.

12. Players are saying there is a memory leak in the title screen.

Needs to be investigated.

13. Players in haven have no queue for Haven on their local computer but seem to have a queue when they switch to Geforce now

Doesn’t make sense, they connect the same way, there could be a crowded Haven that had a queue for a moment. (edited)

maskedweaselKyleranlaserit

• TwistedSister77TwistedSister77 Member EpicPosts: 1,144
    edited February 2022
    I'm still in Haven, not going to attempt leaving till patch(es) are rolled out.  

I'm playing a little bit, but just mostly letting my books skill me up offline while I wait.  Instead playing other games (Mass Effect Legendary... never played the originals, really awesome game).

A lot of posters here want to make their own MMORPGs... well, this is a case study.  
    Slapshot1188[Deleted User]

I'm playing a little bit, but just mostly letting my books skill me up offline while I wait.  Instead playing other games (Mass Effect Legendary... never played the originals, really awesome game).

A lot of posters here want to make their own MMORPGs... well, this is a case study.  
    2 of my group have given in and bought the game.

• yonpachiyonpachi Member UncommonPosts: 191
  • cheyanecheyane Member LegendaryPosts: 9,101

Resistance is futile!
    TwistedSister77
    Chamber of Chains
    cheyane said:

Resistance is futile!
    One quit already.  His main issue was the combat pacing.  So far the other is still playing though.

edited February 2022
    cheyane said:

Resistance is futile!
    One quit already.  His main issue was the combat pacing.  So far the other is still playing though.
    I'm really struggling with the controls for blocks and attacks just not responding.  I've tried various control options (mouse vs keyboard).

Specifically, I want to block left or right... and with a good amount of time in advance...  my character stays locked in a straight forward block (happens 50% of time against zombie practice).  

It could be my setup, so I'm going to try to experiment. Confusing and frustrating (and I play a lot of FPS games).
    Kyleran[Deleted User]
    cheyane said:

Resistance is futile!
    I'm really struggling with the controls for blocks and attacks just not responding.  I've tried various control options (mouse vs keyboard).

Specifically, I want to block left or right... and with a good amount of time in advance...  my character stays locked in a straight forward block (happens 50% of time against zombie practice).  

It could be my setup, so I'm going to try to experiment. Confusing and frustrating (and I play a lot of FPS games).
    That’s almost exactly what the complainant was. Also:
    I literally have to swing then wait till its time to block, if I try to swing twice I never can get a block in before I'm hit even though it seems like I should have plenty of time to do so. And if I do get hit a couple times then have to sit and wait 2 minutes to heal up. Just did not seem like fun at all to me.
    Kyleran[Deleted User]

edited February 2022
    cheyane said:

Resistance is futile!

That’s almost exactly what the complainant was. Also:
    I literally have to swing then wait till its time to block, if I try to swing twice I never can get a block in before I'm hit even though it seems like I should have plenty of time to do so. And if I do get hit a couple times then have to sit and wait 2 minutes to heal up. Just did not seem like fun at all to me.
    Yep, that is my experience with PvE mobs. And they mostly have a hitscan on you... meaning you can rush out of range of a strike(and/or they miss you graphically )... but the damage lands.

On PvP,   I watched videos of actual group pvp fights (plus I was in the first free beta Nov 2020)... people don't even bother blocking in close combat team fights (because how do you block 2 or more near simultaneous strikes against you by multiple players? Literally impossible).  

Instead, it's rush in and out (sprinting a bunch). 

Dueling it works (in theory).

This is also why a crapload of people are spec'ng mounted archery... rush around just shooting.  

Still going to see if maybe it's my user error to give a benefit of the doubt.
    [Deleted User]Kyleran