Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Zenith: The Last City Launch Day Servers Down Under Demand, RamenVR Working to Restore Service | MMO

SystemSystem Member UncommonPosts: 12,599
edited January 2022 in News & Features Discussion

imageZenith: The Last City Launch Day Servers Down Under Demand, RamenVR Working to Restore Service | MMORPG.com

Zenith: The Last City is having one of those MMO launch days marked by server issues and high demand. The RamenVR team is working with their cloud service providers to increase capacity.

Read the full story here

Comments

• hoenens1hoenens1 Member UncommonPosts: 310
    This is pretty dumb if you ask me. This happends when you don't stress test your game in alpha en beta stages and only let a limited amount of people in...
  • extru02extru02 Newbie CommonPosts: 1
    I mean I understand that but tbh its really hard for mmo's to know exactly how many people want in especially on opening day. and if the beta was open to everyone then it has a high chance of loosing intrest.
    emperorhades1
  • DoctorhooDoctorhoo Member UncommonPosts: 235
    I dont think they ever thought about running a server crash stress test prior.

From what I heard they got things working again this evening.
  • rtbbvrrtbbvr Member UncommonPosts: 163
    They did do stress testing. Apparently this was an unexpected technical issue. Same story as many launches. Honestly kind of upsetting but not unexpected. The team has been more than responsive in updates, and honest as to what's happening. I got to play a little bit and enjoyed the experience. Hopefully they can resolve the issues
    ultimateduck
  • Squirlypete59Squirlypete59 Newbie CommonPosts: 2
    Pretty decent day 1 if demand is one of your biggest issues, and this may go down as initial excitement dies off, and there's always VR fatigue to consider - you just can't put in the hours on VR as you can on a console or PC, so spots open up through the day/night (there is no wait queue countdown from what I can see, would be a nice addition).

I installed the game at 1:15pm EST, logged in no problem, all but 2 servers we're full already. Was able to get into an EU server by 1:30pm, created character and loaded in no problems. (I'm in Canada)

I had ZERO technical issues using a Rift+PC (purchased through Oculus/Meta, not Steam), gameplay was smooth, built in voice coms worked, hand sensors we're responsive (fair warning, I have 3 sensors setup).

Smooth movement, gliding and climbing we're good. 

My mage is level 6 and has lots to do, I haven't even really looked at the items i've picked up yet.

Spells appear to be learned by quest rewards and drops from enemies, they can keep dropping as you can find different qualities of the same spell (similar to the white, green, blue, purple text we are familiar with), AND some have additional bonuses like extra crit chance, damage, etc... that can be upgraded (haven't figured that out yet). 

Both the Blademaster and the Essence Mage can switch between the 3 "sub-classes", which aren't really subclasses, just a change in the skills/spells you have access to, with some overlapping abilities. You can switch between the sub-classes in a menu, and it appears to have a short cooldown if you pressed it by accident...like I did.

Spells and Skills are linked to a gesture/arm movement,, and the trigger also has a spell, they appear to be unlocked as you level (I have Up, Down, and Trigger unlocked at 6), and you get 3 options per gesture and the trigger.

Can guarantee i'll be playing this much longer than I played New World. $30 to call down lightning with my hands, or throw fire and ice chunks like a tennis ball? Yes please.
    Kyleransschruppultimateduck
  • cheyanecheyane Member LegendaryPosts: 9,100
    edited January 2022
    VR fatigue? That sounds terrible. I guess at my age my eyes and other organs are slowly tiring more frequently even with normal gaming. I worry what this VR will do in the long run to young people's eyes and other organs. I guess we'll see in 20 years when I will be dead and gone.
    Kyleran
    Chamber of Chains
  • ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,955
    extru02 said:
    I mean I understand that but tbh its really hard for mmo's to know exactly how many people want in especially on opening day. and if the beta was open to everyone then it has a high chance of loosing intrest.
    Pretty decent day 1 if demand is one of your biggest issues, and this may go down as initial excitement dies off, and there's always VR fatigue to consider - you just can't put in the hours on VR as you can on a console or PC, so spots open up through the day/night (there is no wait queue countdown from what I can see, would be a nice addition).

I installed the game at 1:15pm EST, logged in no problem, all but 2 servers we're full already. Was able to get into an EU server by 1:30pm, created character and loaded in no problems. (I'm in Canada)

I had ZERO technical issues using a Rift+PC (purchased through Oculus/Meta, not Steam), gameplay was smooth, built in voice coms worked, hand sensors we're responsive (fair warning, I have 3 sensors setup).

Smooth movement, gliding and climbing we're good. 

My mage is level 6 and has lots to do, I haven't even really looked at the items i've picked up yet.

Spells appear to be learned by quest rewards and drops from enemies, they can keep dropping as you can find different qualities of the same spell (similar to the white, green, blue, purple text we are familiar with), AND some have additional bonuses like extra crit chance, damage, etc... that can be upgraded (haven't figured that out yet). 

Both the Blademaster and the Essence Mage can switch between the 3 "sub-classes", which aren't really subclasses, just a change in the skills/spells you have access to, with some overlapping abilities. You can switch between the sub-classes in a menu, and it appears to have a short cooldown if you pressed it by accident...like I did.

Spells and Skills are linked to a gesture/arm movement,, and the trigger also has a spell, they appear to be unlocked as you level (I have Up, Down, and Trigger unlocked at 6), and you get 3 options per gesture and the trigger.

Can guarantee i'll be playing this much longer than I played New World. $30 to call down lightning with my hands, or throw fire and ice chunks like a tennis ball? Yes please.
    Welcome to the forums! :)
  • ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,955
    cheyane said:
    VR fatigue? That sounds terrible. I guess at my age my eyes and other organs are slowly tiring more frequently even with normal gaming. I worry what this VR will do in the long run to young people's eyes and other organs. I guess we'll see in 20 years when I will be dead and gone.
    We will be jacking in within ten years, no need for headgear, just hang on. ;)
    Kyleranultimateduck
  • sschruppsschrupp Member UncommonPosts: 684

Scot said:

cheyane said:

We will be jacking in within ten years, no need for headgear, just hang on. ;)

Go go Neuralink!
    Kyleran
  • Squirlypete59Squirlypete59 Newbie CommonPosts: 2
    cheyane said:
    I'm 41, and essentially an out of shape hobbit if that gives you any perspective, and I can still put in 2 or 3 hours (with frequent breaks) before my head or eyes tell me its time to stop. I also have a chair handy near my play area, so if I need to sit while I craft or check a map, I can.

Some folks don't experience the visual or mental stresses of processing VR as quickly or strongly as others, and the tech is better than it was 5 years ago.

I actually stretch now before a VR gaming session. I'd rather admit to stretching before video games, than have to admit I have a video game related injury the next day.

Scot said:
    Thank you! Been lurking for a while.
    [Deleted User]KyleranultimateduckScot
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498
    cheyane said:
    I'm 41, and essentially an out of shape hobbit if that gives you any perspective, and I can still put in 2 or 3 hours (with frequent breaks) before my head or eyes tell me its time to stop. I also have a chair handy near my play area, so if I need to sit while I craft or check a map, I can.

Some folks don't experience the visual or mental stresses of processing VR as quickly or strongly as others, and the tech is better than it was 5 years ago.

I actually stretch now before a VR gaming session. I'd rather admit to stretching before video games, than have to admit I have a video game related injury the next day.

Scot said:
    Glad some early adopters have come here to share your experiences, much appreciated.

Still sounds like I couldn't play VR games and watch Netflix, so not a platform I would enjoy.  ;)
    [Deleted User]

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• ultimateduckultimateduck Member EpicPosts: 1,269
    edited January 2022
    I hope things are up and running in a couple of hours when I'm able to log on.

Too many people trying to log in is the best problem a developer can ask for. It is the #1 game on Steam.
  • LackingMMOLackingMMO Member RarePosts: 664

Kyleran said:

cheyane said:

Scot said:

Glad some early adopters have come here to share your experiences, much appreciated.

Still sounds like I couldn't play VR games and watch Netflix, so not a platform I would enjoy.  ;)

I'm 35, work physical all day. I love fighting things with my blades! It is a blast to actively block and fight back, essentially I was doing the vr equivalent to button mashing lol. I then realized how to effectively play lol. But damn man I wore myself out, felt like I just got done working a long shift or did some good cardio!

As for day 1 issues, it was a few hours and they started panning things out, worst thing was trying to log in. Once you were in it ran very smooth, not 1 issue from me on pc with htc vive. Still early to give a definitive but things are looking good so far!
    ultimateduckKyleran