Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

4k Monitors

HyperpsycrowHyperpsycrow Member RarePosts: 913
I got a 3080 ti auros extreme OC that cries for a 4 k monitor each day.
and im tired of listening to this cry :p

So i have been looking on these 2

Do anyone know what will the best one ?
Or have other suggestions ?

It has to be HRD 10 g synch 4k 27" with everything, beside speakers. I dont use these :D

Comments

• laseritlaserit Member LegendaryPosts: 7,591
    edited January 2022
    I went with a 5120 x 1440 and I'll never look back ;)

Put that power into a wider view imho

My screen almost covers my whole viewing angle and I love it.

edit: when I sit about 30" away from my screen. I have monitor from the complete range of my horizontal vision left to right. I run almost everything on ultra or better and can usually avg around 100-120 fps on the tough ones.

If you look at games like FC6, its where a wide screen monitor really shines.

If you want to multitask, it's not the greatest.

It depends on the application.
    Post edited by laserit on
    [Deleted User]Hyperpsycrow[Deleted User]

"Be water my friend" - Bruce Lee

• HyperpsycrowHyperpsycrow Member RarePosts: 913
    Wide screen is not for me :p
    laseritQuizzical

• TruvidiennTruvidienn Member UncommonPosts: 320
    I have 2x of the LG monitors that you linked. They are simply amazing. You just need to find them in stock. 
    Hyperpsycrow
    I dream of flexible, wrap around, 3d monitors. We're not too far off anymore ;)
    HyperpsycrowConstantineMerus

I have 2x of the LG monitors that you linked. They are simply amazing. You just need to find them in stock. 

Nice !
    Why 2 of these ?

What about the back light bleeding or what the call it. The horrible light patterns in dark games ?  How awfull is it ?  Noticeable ?

Its always nice if you can take one for a test drive, even if you don't buy it from there ;)
    [Deleted User]Hyperpsycrow

True but no stores here in poorly Denmark has these kind of monitors for displays and if they have then they are not setup for true "show and tell" and if you ask any workers then they barly know the diff on how its connected and why.

I once bought a expensive 4 k monitor from asus. It was the first model in 2020 or so and it had dead pixel and awfull back light bleeding. and the supporters just kept swapping the monitor so i got some in RMA that was even worse and broken belzels with no logo and more dead pixels.

But the main issue is the blb for me :s

Do you have the GN or GP version ?

• QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,348
    If you get more pixels, you might also want more inches.  Otherwise, it makes the pixels really small.  Some programs will scale well, but some won't.  Trying to play games that don't scale and being stuck with a tiny UI that you can barely see is awkward.
    Hyperpsycrow
  • QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,348
    laserit said:
    I went with a 5120 x 1440 and I'll never look back ;)

Put that power into a wider view imho

My screen almost covers my whole viewing angle and I love it.

edit: when I sit about 30" away from my screen. I have monitor from the complete range of my horizontal vision left to right. I run almost everything on ultra or better and can usually avg around 100-120 fps on the tough ones.

If you look at games like FC6, its where a wide screen monitor really shines.

If you want to multitask, it's not the greatest.

It depends on the application.
    That can make sense for a first-person perspective that doesn't have very much going on in the vertical direction, or even a close third-person perspective.  Wide and short doesn't make sense for much else, though.
    Hyperpsycrow
  • RidelynnRidelynn Member EpicPosts: 7,383
    edited January 2022
    I have a 27” LG 950.

it’s a nice monitor. It fits on my desk well, it looks sharp. Backlight bleed isn’t bad - it’s there, and you can see it track with local zone dimming, but not too bad looking at other IPS monitors - the local zones do help a lot.

144Hz is nice, colors are bright, the monitor itself looks good. I run at 150% scaling: text and static pictures look great. Stuff in motion, including gaming, doesn’t benefit as much from 4K though.

For the money, if I could have fit an LG C1 OLED I wouldn’t have looked back; I just couldn’t figure out a way to make it fit.

The 950 HDR works. It is noticeably better than non HDR, but if you’ve ever seen an OLED nothing comes close. That, and there isn’t an awful lot on the PC that really uses HDR.
    [Deleted User]Asm0deusHyperpsycrow
  • ConstantineMerusConstantineMerus Member EpicPosts: 3,338
    edited January 2022
    laserit said:
    I dream of flexible, wrap around, 3d monitors. We're not too far off anymore ;)
    Imagine taking it to the bedroom:
    - Honey, this is our new blanket. 
    - Oh how nice. Wait a minute! Are you playing a video game!? 
    Doom music kicks in! 

Post edited by ConstantineMerus on
    [Deleted User]Hyperpsycrowlaserit
    Constantine, The Console Poster

• "One of the most difficult tasks men can perform, however much others may despise it, is the invention of good games and it cannot be done by men out of touch with their instinctive selves." - Carl Jung
  • Asm0deusAsm0deus Member EpicPosts: 4,403
    edited January 2022
    Is there really a point in having a 4k 27 inch monitor I mean it 27 inch so does it make that huge a difference?

I mean if you were talking a 32+ inch or so sure but those a 27inch screen really benefit from 4k?

Is there really such a visual upgrade going from say 1440 to 4k on a 27incher?  Does your eye really see the difference or do you need 20/20 vision?

[Deleted User]Hyperpsycrow

Brenics ~ Just to point out I do believe Chris Roberts is going down as the man who cheated backers and took down crowdfunding for gaming.

• VrikaVrika Member LegendaryPosts: 7,888
    Asm0deus said:
    Is there really a point in having a 4k 27 inch monitor I mean it 27 inch so does it make that huge a difference?

I mean if you were talking a 32+ inch or so sure but those a 27inch screen really benefit from 4k?

Is there really such a visual upgrade going from say 1440 to 4k on a 27incher?  Does your eye really see the difference or do you need 20/20 vision?
    It depends a lot on how close you view the monitor from: Pixel density on 4K monitor viewed from 50 cm away would look same as pixel density on 1080p monitor viewed from 1 meter away.

But on general level, yes there's some difference. It's nothing major, but if you have extra money to spend you might as well upgrade.
    Asm0deusHyperpsycrow

• Asm0deusAsm0deus Member EpicPosts: 4,403
    edited January 2022
    Vrika said:
    Asm0deus said:

It depends a lot on how close you view the monitor from: Pixel density on 4K monitor viewed from 50 cm away would look same as pixel density on 1080p monitor viewed from 1 meter away.

But on general level, yes there's some difference. It's nothing major, but if you have extra money to spend you might as well upgrade.

Right but I would assume when talking about 27" monitors you will be sitting at the same distance as it will simply replace your previous monitor.

I am assuming here peeps are not using monitors or viewing content on them close enough that they can lick the screen! 

I am getting the impression someone older like me wont see much difference, I really need to drag my backside into town eventually and go look at some monitors in person.  lol
    Hyperpsycrow

Brenics ~ Just to point out I do believe Chris Roberts is going down as the man who cheated backers and took down crowdfunding for gaming.

• CleffyCleffy Member RarePosts: 6,412
    Samsung based OLED monitor panels are coming out this year. I would opt for one of those if you are at this price range. Even though people are using OLED TVs to great success as monitors, there are a few drawbacks. The TVs typically delay displaying an image to run it through its own filtering. They also typically have some type of Smart OS that is unnecessary with a monitor. Also, the size can be a bit of an issue.

Your eyes will notice 8k for a 27" monitor. With 4k at 27", I wouldn't bother using something like Anti-Aliasing. It would be an unnecessary step that can be resource intensive.
    Hyperpsycrow
  • The_KorriganThe_Korrigan Member RarePosts: 3,459
    edited January 2022
    Go for 32" or more for 4K.
    I own a 4K Samsung 32" and it's just awesome, for both gaming and also watching movies.
    HyperpsycrowAsm0deus[Deleted User]
    Respect, walk, what did you say?
    Respect, walk
    Are you talkin' to me? Are you talkin' to me?
    - PANTERA at HELLFEST 2023
    Yes, they are back !

• VrikaVrika Member LegendaryPosts: 7,888
    edited January 2022
    Go for 32" or more for 4K.
    I own a 4K Samsung 32" and it's just awesome, for both gaming and also watching movies.
    The screen size depends a lot on how large your desk is and how far you're looking at it from.

Though if the issue is with space, the new curved monitors go up to 1000R (if you'd build a circle it would have radius of 1 000mm). With one of those it's possible to usually get an inch or two larger monitor.
    Hyperpsycrow[Deleted User]

• ConstantineMerusConstantineMerus Member EpicPosts: 3,338
    I started with a 28" 4K monitor and even then I couldn't look at FHD anymore. Sometimes I see a FHD and I vomit in horror. The difference is obvious on any screen size. 
    The_KorriganHyperpsycrowAsm0deus
    Constantine, The Console Poster

• "One of the most difficult tasks men can perform, however much others may despise it, is the invention of good games and it cannot be done by men out of touch with their instinctive selves." - Carl Jung
    Ridelynn said:
    I have a 27” LG 950.

it’s a nice monitor. It fits on my desk well, it looks sharp. Backlight bleed isn’t bad - it’s there, and you can see it track with local zone dimming, but not too bad looking at other IPS monitors - the local zones do help a lot.

144Hz is nice, colors are bright, the monitor itself looks good. I run at 150% scaling: text and static pictures look great. Stuff in motion, including gaming, doesn’t benefit as much from 4K though.

For the money, if I could have fit an LG C1 OLED I wouldn’t have looked back; I just couldn’t figure out a way to make it fit.

The 950 HDR works. It is noticeably better than non HDR, but if you’ve ever seen an OLED nothing comes close. That, and there isn’t an awful lot on the PC that really uses HDR.

Do you have the GN or GP version ? The gp has 1 more in score compared :D

edited January 2022
    Cleffy said:
    Samsung based OLED monitor panels are coming out this year. I would opt for one of those if you are at this price range. Even though people are using OLED TVs to great success as monitors, there are a few drawbacks. The TVs typically delay displaying an image to run it through its own filtering. They also typically have some type of Smart OS that is unnecessary with a monitor. Also, the size can be a bit of an issue.

Your eyes will notice 8k for a 27" monitor. With 4k at 27", I wouldn't bother using something like Anti-Aliasing. It would be an unnecessary step that can be resource intensive.
    There are some real nice discounts right now on the technology that is about to be second best.

edit: the expensive stuff is where your going to see the big savings, The common stuff is very competitive. Your only going to see significant savings there if they can't move the product.
    Hyperpsycrow

Do you have the GN or GP version ?
    It's the GN version. Sorry for late reply. 
    Hyperpsycrow

Nice !
    Why 2 of these ?

What about the back light bleeding or what the call it. The horrible light patterns in dark games ?  How awfull is it ?  Noticeable ?
    My Wife bought me two of these as a wedding gift. It's not really noticeable. I haven't paid much attention to it. 
    Hyperpsycrow
  • TwistedSister77TwistedSister77 Member EpicPosts: 1,144
    edited January 2022
    Those are nice, but I'm waiting for all hdmi ports to be 2.1 Hdmi (vs 2.0).  The difference is massive (double framerates 120 fps@ 4K or 60 at 8K.. other benefits).

I bought a new 4K 65inch Samsung TV last month... but only a few surround sound systems are 2.1 right now... and surround sound systems/TV bars are insanely expensive so I'm waiting for that too :'(

I paid ~$1600 for my TV, but good speakers for 5.1 surround are $1000-$1600... yeah, the price of a TV.
    Hyperpsycrow[Deleted User]
    This LG monitor had my interretest at first until this tuf model released. that seems very close

So hard to choose..

The tuf model uses less power and has more display colours and can be full tilted.
    and it has pip and pap :D

But the lg has more pixel density and i like that RGB wheel behind it.

Also some sites says something with reflection is bad in the LG tho.

I dont know what to choose..some people even say i should wait the year out due to sumsung is brewing something. 

I just dont like curved.

[Deleted User]