Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Is 500 vs 500 PVP in Ashes of Creation a REALITY?

2»

Comments

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,508
    nurso said:
    Jacobs and Camelot Unchained showed 1500 bots fighting it out 4 years ago. Here is a piece from their Newsletter.  Not sure if they released the video (I think they did) but if have alpha Access you can find it there.
    Small correction: Officially there were 2809 human players and ARCs (autonomous remote clients, no bots!), see https://camelotunchained.com/v3/humongous-multiplayer-battles-friday-january-25th-2809/.

Unofficially, they increased the number of ARCs by quite a bit just or fun. 

Pfft, 500, 2800, how about Dual Universe, 30K in one planet...

"It was a major test of our technology, and a world record: we got 30,000 simulated players all together on Alioth, the main planet of Dual Universe, together with members of the community invited to join to be the witnesses. 30,000+ people all together inside the same world, at the same time"

Guess how well that translated over to the actual performance in the current beta?

Not much. 

https://medium.com/@jcbaillie/dual-universe-redefines-the-meaning-of-massively-multiplayer-with-over-30-000-a04c0e8b4106
    [Deleted User]

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• nursonurso Member UncommonPosts: 327
    Kyleran said:
    Yet when FSR launched on Steam last year it had (still has) a player limit of what 10, or other ridiculously small number?
    As far as I know, this was an arbitrary restriction because of waiting times (at that time there was no option to create groups; the game starts automatically when there are 4 people in the queue or after 3 minutes), because FSR is based on the CU engine and is capable of much more.
    edited January 2022
    As for the most actual players in a live PVP battle EVE held the title a year or two back, setting two world records at the same time.

The two GUINNESS WORLD RECORDS titles now held by EVE Online are:

Performance did suffer, and I imagine the participants felt much like this
    [Deleted User]

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

Kyleran said:
    Pfft, 500, 2800, how about Dual Universe, 30K in one planet...
    DU used Spatial OS at the time (I don't know if they still use it) and Spatial OS didn't catch on for good reason, as you can read here: https://www.gamedev.net/forums/topic/703568-whatever-happened-with-spatial-os/5411473/
    [Deleted User]
    Kyleran said:
    As for the most actual players in a live PVP battle EVE held the title a year or two back, setting two world records at the same time.
    Correct. But EVE Online uses time dilation as an anti-lag measurement.
    Commands on the server are currently added to a queue and processed in order. If the load is more than the server can process, this queue grows at an alarming rate and the server is unable to catch up. Under time dilation, actions in the game such as firing weapons or moving would be slowed down to ensure the queue remains short and so the server stays under its maximum load. Instead of fights becoming laggy and unplayable, the entire battle would go into slow motion and remain responsive.
    Source: https://www.engadget.com/2011-04-22-eves-anti-lag-time-dilation-concept-explained.html

In CU the fights take place in real time because their server-tech allows capacities to be allocated as needed.
    [Deleted User]
  • NanfoodleNanfoodle Member LegendaryPosts: 10,617
    Mendel said:
    Large scale activities in MMORPGs have always had difficulties.  Even PvE raids with 70 people were almost impossible in the days when the chat channels only held 50 people.  Coordination was a nightmare, and tactics became meaningless as the only thing that really worked  consistently for everyone was "stay with the group".  I.e., zerg tactics.

A game may have the ability to run 500x500x500 static bots on an internal test.  The real test is to add in multiple active chat channels, unpredictable non-scripted behavior, and server (and network) contention.  Then factor in the odd graphics/CPU generated lag on various clients on substandard PCs.  Adjusting everything to make a smooth, playable experience is a considerable task that few have been able to achieve.

Good luck to those trying.

Steven seems to keep promising big, will be interesting if they can come close to anything above industry standard. As always, the real test is Real World application.  
    edited January 2022
    tzervo said:
    My understanding (as an outsider) is that ARCs are pointed out because, since they are remote connections, they stress test the network communication sufficiently, even though they still are bots.
    This. @Torval The fact that they are ARCs is emphasised again and again so that there is no confusion with "normal" bots, like those that can be spawned in masses via console in various first-person shooters.

• MendelMendel Member LegendaryPosts: 5,609
    nurso said:
    tzervo said:
    My understanding (as an outsider) is that ARCs are pointed out because, since they are remote connections, they stress test the network communication sufficiently, even though they still are bots.
    This. @Torval The fact that they are ARCs is emphasised again and again so that there is no confusion with "normal" bots, like those that can be spawned in masses via console in various first-person shooters.

I don't know the specifics of *how* they are employing these ARCs.  They could be in-building.  That is, they may test their proprietary network code through their own internal networks, but network traffic isn't going outside their building (e.g., through a normal ISP connection).  A good portion of the time, the ISP providing the external network service is a large contributor to performance.

So, if they are doing bots on machines in their building on their own (presumably controlled) networks, performance tests can have significantly different results once the signals reach the real world.

Is what they are doing a valid test?  It *could* be, or it *could not* be.  Or both.

Logic, my dear, merely enables one to be wrong with great authority.

• TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,754
    It's easy to talk a good game at this point...its a staple of the gaming industry.....Actually backing it up is a whole other story.
    [Deleted User]
  • YashaXYashaX Member EpicPosts: 3,098
    nurso said:
    Jacobs and Camelot Unchained showed 1500 bots fighting it out 4 years ago. Here is a piece from their Newsletter.  Not sure if they released the video (I think they did) but if have alpha Access you can find it there.
    Small correction: Officially there were 2809 human players and ARCs (autonomous remote clients, no bots!), see https://camelotunchained.com/v3/humongous-multiplayer-battles-friday-january-25th-2809/.

Unofficially, they increased the number of ARCs by quite a bit just or fun. 

Yes, the testing showed so much potential, but the game lagged like crazy when I played it after the "beta" launch. My takeaway from that was that these tests don't hold much water in a real life environment. 

That said, the actual gameplay videos I have seen of AoC are way better than anything I have seen from CU, so maybe they can do better with the lag as well.
    [Deleted User]Kyleran[Deleted User]
    Mendel said:

I don't know the specifics of *how* they are employing these ARCs.  They could be in-building.  That is, they may test their proprietary network code through their own internal networks, but network traffic isn't going outside their building (e.g., through a normal ISP connection).  A good portion of the time, the ISP providing the external network service is a large contributor to performance.

So, if they are doing bots on machines in their building on their own (presumably controlled) networks, performance tests can have significantly different results once the signals reach the real world.

Is what they are doing a valid test?  It *could* be, or it *could not* be.  Or both.

Bots are “headless clients” running on separate AWS instances. This means that on different instances (servers), we are running 1500 separate clients. They are headless, because in our case, they aren’t attached to real players at keyboards, monitors, etc.
    and
    Bots are not “NPCs” because those things are usually controlled from the same server(s) instance(s) and are generally not networked like players.
    and
    So, in terms of whether are Bots are the same as players in terms of Internet/network traffic and also client stability (they can crash too), etc., the answer is 100% yes!
    [Deleted User]
    edited January 2022
    YashaX said:
    That said, the actual gameplay videos I have seen of AoC are way better than anything I have seen from CU, so maybe they can do better with the lag as well.
    As far as I remember, they had a big problem with the code for tree generation and the block physics (was very unoptimised for a while). Now the worst lag factors should be removed.
    nurso said:
    YashaX said:
    As far as I remember, they had a big problem with the code for tree generation and the block physics (was very unoptimised for a while). Now the worst lag factors should be removed.

I see, so you are saying that the bot tests you have been raving about were a meaningless marketing gimmick?
    YashaX said:
    I see, so you are saying that the bot tests you have been raving about were a meaningless marketing gimmick?
    I am confused. What do you mean?
    nurso said:
    YashaX said:
    I am confused. 
    I can tell.
  • killimandroskillimandros Member UncommonPosts: 64
    Havent really been following the game so much, but this discussion is interesting nevertheless. It reminds me a bit of Planetside 2. A pretty old game, but I cant recall much lag despite battles often being very huge. Several hundres on each side and 3 factions? No problems. And, without lag. If they could do it back then, why cant they now?
    [Deleted User]
    edited January 2022
    Havent really been following the game so much, but this discussion is interesting nevertheless. It reminds me a bit of Planetside 2. A pretty old game, but I cant recall much lag despite battles often being very huge. Several hundres on each side and 3 factions? No problems. And, without lag. If they could do it back then, why cant they now?

Planetside 2 uses SOE's ForgeLight engine which was later acquired by Daybreak and used in the infamous H1Z1. It is therefore a proprietary product for a specific "use case". Commercially available more general engines such as Unity and Unreal are not designed for mass battles and must therefore be laboriously "reworked". So the answer is: yes, it can be done, but it is too time-consuming and too expensive for a mere afterthought, like PvP in theme-park MMORPGs.
    The Forgelight engine was one of the more notable gaming achievements that never got the full credit it deserved in how well it handled large scale fights.

[Deleted User]nursokillimandros

• PonziniPonzini Member UncommonPosts: 506
    edited January 2022
    nurso said:

Planetside 2 uses SOE's ForgeLight engine which was later acquired by Daybreak and used in the infamous H1Z1. It is therefore a proprietary product for a specific "use case". Commercially available more general engines such as Unity and Unreal are not designed for mass battles and must therefore be laboriously "reworked". So the answer is: yes, it can be done, but it is too time-consuming and too expensive for a mere afterthought, like PvP in theme-park MMORPGs.
    Steven has said they are writing their own back end code. They also have people who worked on Planetside 2 writing it I believe. When he showed off this test he specifically said it was client side only. He never pretended it was simulating connections.

I will say though that as someone who was played the alpha I dont think their back end code is something you need to worry about. We had pretty big battles with no issues and they have made quite a number of improvements since then reducing the number of draw calls and such. I am no game developer but I am confident.

Either way 500 v 500 battles will probably rarely, if ever, happen. I am glad they are pushing for as high of a goal as possible though.
    Babuinix[Deleted User]