Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Ashes of Creation Interview with Steven Sharif: 'This Will Be One of the Largest and Most Successful

SystemSystem Member UncommonPosts: 12,599
edited January 2022 in Videos Discussion

imageAshes of Creation Interview with Steven Sharif: 'This Will Be One of the Largest and Most Successful MMOs' | MMORPG.com

The past 6 years have been pretty wild for Intrepid Studios, with their flagship title, Ashes of Creation, pushing through the different stages of development. With Alpha 2 on the horizon, and their recent transition from Unreal Engine 4 to Unreal Engine 5, there is plenty to get excited about when it comes to Ashes of Creation. Shortly after the announcement of the UE5 transition, we sat down with creative director, Steven Sharif, to talk about the advancements the game has made, how the outloo

Read the full story here

Comments

• theGnadetheGnade Member UncommonPosts: 147
    That is what Amazon was thinking
    TheDalaiBombaHaki88bng28CelciusKyleranMcSleazXarkovelimiriusircaddictsdragonlee66and 2 others.
  • ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,955
    edited January 2022
    Just deliver and all will be forgiven and when I say that I mean over the next three years!
    Post edited by Scot on
    Slapshot1188CelciusTokkenKyleranMcSleazXarkovelimiriusircaddictsdragonlee66Dekahnand 2 others.
  • TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,751
    We've heard all this stuff before...talk is cheap
    [Deleted User]TruvidiennHaki88Nildenbng28CelciusTokkenKyleranbgzgamerMcSleazand 7 others.
  • ConstantineMerusConstantineMerus Member EpicPosts: 3,338
    Despite all things said and done I believe this will be a good game. 
    Shutarafuzzi1983Mensurbng28CelciusIselinTokkenKyleranZenerenMcSleazand 5 others.
    Constantine, The Console Poster

• "One of the most difficult tasks men can perform, however much others may despise it, is the invention of good games and it cannot be done by men out of touch with their instinctive selves." - Carl Jung
  • Slapshot1188Slapshot1188 Member LegendaryPosts: 16,982
    edited January 2022
    The guy who made millions selling https://www.complaintsboard.com/xango-scam-and-cheating-c71169 says the new product he is hawking will be one of the most successful ever? 

Wow!! How unexpected!
    Haki88KyleranMcSleazircaddictsDekahn

All time classic  MY NEW FAVORITE POST!  (Keep laying those bricks)

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

Proudly wearing the Harbinger badge since Dec 23, 2017. 

Coined the phrase "Role-Playing a Development Team" January 2018

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

• fuzzi1983fuzzi1983 Member UncommonPosts: 142
    Lies, deception! -Saw Gerrera
  • maskedweaselmaskedweasel Member LegendaryPosts: 12,178
    I wasn't all that interested at first, but I'm starting to come around a little. The UE 5 video looks pretty good. The quality seems much better than a lot of kickstarted MMOs. I guess it's just a wait and see thing.
    ConstantineMerusKyleranMcSleaz

• SandmanjwSandmanjw Member RarePosts: 527
    Just 5 little words for happy gamers....

SHOW ME THE RELEASED GAME

If we all wait for those 5 little words to come true, no more guessing, complaining, horror stories, or scams.

Of course, gamers are the most ignorant, willful, impatient, gullible consumers ever....so meh, go forth and MULTIPLY ya sheep.
    [Deleted User]Slapshot1188Haki88NildenTheocritusKyleranMcSleazeoloevelimiriusircaddictsand 2 others.
  • MensurMensur Member EpicPosts: 1,512
    This guy was so arrogant on his stream! Cant stand him. Wish him the best of luck but what a nugget.
    Slapshot1188Haki88TokkenKyleranXarkovelimiriusircaddicts

mmorpg junkie since 1999

• koldmiserkoldmiser Member RarePosts: 348
    With open world PVP? No, no it won't be that successful. I've got my fingers crossed for this, but
    Phoenix_HawkbobbymcswansonSamhael
  • LumeriaLumeria Member UncommonPosts: 61
    edited January 2022
    I wonder if he regrets trying to make a better game than ArcheAge? Some people count their losses, others create more.

Wish them all the best, even invested but they don't have what it takes to make one of the best MMO's ever (culture beyond money) - even if they are convinced they do.
  • Slapshot1188Slapshot1188 Member LegendaryPosts: 16,982
    Mensur said:
    This guy was so arrogant on his stream! Cant stand him. Wish him the best of luck but what a nugget.
    Yeah I think thats part of what bothers me about him.  Its so obviously fake and smarmy... yet some eat it up.

Whatever.  If he delivers I'll play.  Heck he owes me some money plus a free game so of course I'll play it.  But I believe him as much as that used car salesman telling you about the steal of a deal he's giving you.
    Mensurircaddicts

All time classic  MY NEW FAVORITE POST!  (Keep laying those bricks)

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

Proudly wearing the Harbinger badge since Dec 23, 2017. 

Coined the phrase "Role-Playing a Development Team" January 2018

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

• KnightFalzKnightFalz Member EpicPosts: 4,166
    We'll see, eventually.
    [Deleted User][Deleted User]
  • Haki88Haki88 Member UncommonPosts: 230
    edited January 2022
    Its like his livestream q&a all scripted. Is there second part of interview where you ask him real questions?
    [Deleted User]Slapshot1188eoloe
  • StevenWeberStevenWeber MMORPG.COM Staff UncommonPosts: 109
    Hey all, I uploaded a new video to help with the background sound. If you guys were having issues hearing the video before, it should be all good now! Sorry about that! 

Separately, I do love how inquisitive our community is. I would certainly want to hear some of your questions that you would like answers to, if and when another interview opportunity comes around again. If one comes around again, perhaps I'll put out an open call for the community to participate in a few questions?

Either way, I still love reading everyone's thoughts! 
    [Deleted User][Deleted User]Slapshot1188
  • DattelisDattelis Member RarePosts: 1,454
    edited January 2022
    Personally, I dont like answers like "this will be the biggest mmo" etc because it draws too much 'critical attention' (by that I mean, people always watching to criticize anything that's going on, good or bad). I understand that its good for 'marketing purposes' and probably to draw in more funding but it just feels like there can be better ways to get the attention outside of this. I think back to the WoW vs FFXIV cycle that was going on for a good while a few years ago until FFXIV 'won' (or so some people think) and always thought about how 'humbling' answers were from Yoshida when asked about comparisons to WoW. He even admitted to playing wow and even went to a few blizzcons when he could. He also encourages players to play other things aside from FFXIV when they feel they dont want to play anymore. Some people might see that as dumb, but it seems to have worked in their favor for the most part looking back at it. It also didn't help that the WoW dev team seemed so arrogant about choices that they later folded in on (the more recent being the whole covenant power debate that they stuck to and ended up walking back on in 9.1.5). My whole point is, show me what you're going to do, dont tell me. If you show me something good enough, then I'll support it, but leave selling faith to religious leaders (a paraphrase on something Jim Sterling said in the past).
    [Deleted User]etlar
  • samooryesordsamooryesord Member UncommonPosts: 98
    Yeah I don't believe a single word Steven says until we have the game in our hands.
    Slapshot1188
  • bng28bng28 Member UncommonPosts: 102
    The producer and money behind the game is saying its going to be GREAT!? YA DONT SAY!!

Boy I vomit a little everytime i hear a developer say that.
  • bng28bng28 Member UncommonPosts: 102
    edited January 2022

I wasn't all that interested at first, but I'm starting to come around a little. The UE 5 video looks pretty good. The quality seems much better than a lot of kickstarted MMOs. I guess it's just a wait and see thing.

The UE5 demo was cool, but who cares if your 95 honda accord thats got no gas tank has a shiny coat of fresh red paint?

Answer: No one
    eoloe
  • NildenNilden Member EpicPosts: 3,916
    The only thing that matters is playing the released game. Even then I'll probably wait a month. 

"You CAN'T buy ships for RL money." - MaxBacon

"classification of games into MMOs is not by rational reasoning" - nariusseldon

Love Minecraft. And check out my Youtube channel OhCanadaGamer

Try a MUD today at http://www.mudconnect.com/ 

• WebbyGamingWebbyGaming Member UncommonPosts: 38
    I used to be very hyped about Ashes, but as I read more of Steven Sharif in interviews and press releases, the more I discover what a shady, untrustworthy, dishonest, potential con man that he is.

Now I am thinking Ashes has a better chance of being another massive failure like New World, or a full-on scam like Star Citizen. The fact that they have had a cash shop since day one and are still selling high prices items even though we are not even to Alpha 2 yet, combined with the shady character of Steven Sharif, makes me feel the letter is likely true.

UE5 looks amazing, but that will not make Ashes "the largest and most successful MMO's ever".

I hope the game is amazing... Heaven knows we MMO players are in desperate need of a quality title after the parade of failures, cash grabs, and lies we have endured the past several years. However, considering Steven Sharif and his questionable ethics, I will shelve my enthusiasm and basically forget about the game until we have real reviews and a set release date.

Considering that at this point Ashes of Creation seems to be following the Star Citizen model of an endless Alpha but also an endless ability to spend money, I wonder if Steven Sharif might turn out to be Chris Roberts in disguise?
    HiromantPreparedkikoodutroa8
  • MendelMendel Member LegendaryPosts: 5,609
    "One of the largest and most successful MMO".  I really feel that this statement is missing something.  Oh, right.  An actual delivered product.

Until then, just read the statement as "One of the largest and most successful MMO hype campaigns".  It will save lots of grief.

XarkoircaddictsTacticalZombeh

Logic, my dear, merely enables one to be wrong with great authority.

• GinazGinaz Member RarePosts: 2,470
    An mmo based around pvp will never be more than a niche product these days. And before anyone mentions Ultima Online I'll remind you it was pretty much the only game in town if you wanted to play and mmo back then. Despite what some may tell you, even UO's peak was when they had the release of Trammel, which allowed people to play in peace in a pve realm free from ffa pvp.
    kjempffAbscissa15

Is a man not entitled to the herp of his derp?

Remember, I live in a world where juggalos and yugioh players are real things.

• Haki88Haki88 Member UncommonPosts: 230
    edited January 2022

Hey all, I uploaded a new video to help with the background sound. If you guys were having issues hearing the video before, it should be all good now! Sorry about that! 

Separately, I do love how inquisitive our community is. I would certainly want to hear some of your questions that you would like answers to, if and when another interview opportunity comes around again. If one comes around again, perhaps I'll put out an open call for the community to participate in a few questions?

Either way, I still love reading everyone's thoughts! 

1. Why he set 1 year estimated delivery date for making aaa mmorpg?

2. Why game is still not released (est delivery Dec 2018)

3. Day interpid started making game till now what kind of real progress interpid made? (Asking this because they should already have 100% finished game, so what is it? 10%?)

4. Why release of BR and try to monetize it?

5. If steven said there is no point of buying this game atm, why hes selling jpgs?

6. If steven said he doesnt like hype then why he took official content creators, why he hired pr team? (He took and hired them over 3 years ago when game had 0.01% of content)

7. If game had enough money without kickstarter why he started kickstarter?

8. What kickstarter means to him?

9. What is special about opening kickstarter but when it is finished to open website shop?

10. If money isnt problem as steven said, why bundle alpha/beta keys with cosmetics, why sell anything at all?

11. Steven replaced Jeffrey, Steven what kind of expirience you have as lead game designer?

12. Why do you promote how to say this.... pay to feedback? Reciving ingame feedback from people who paid 500$ and official content creators who got their key for free doing nothing but clickbaiting or should i say "read what dev said, make video/stream saying exact words what dev said"

13. As CEO of company who is trying to make mmorpg, why do you talk trash about archeage and new world?

14. What really happend with original refferal system?

There are more questions but this should be a good start.

If he answers these questions i think next interview is going to popup on every gaming website but we all know he wont answer it or hes going to pick some and say some neutral answers like salesman.

[Deleted User]BC_AnimuseoloeVigor021ircaddictsTacticalZombehCalDruid
  • TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,751
    Zenislav said:
    They are selling cosmetic packs for 75 to 375 dollars that rotate each month for game in alpha stage that you cant even play. And it has been like this since kickstarter campaign.

I hate this kind of thing from bottom of my heart. They have shop on their web site for thing that does not exist yet.

These days the shop is the number one thing......How the company makes money is number one priority over anything else......Thats why many of these MMOs fall away short because they are built around how to milk the customer base.