Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

NFT's and Blockchain - Who Can You Trust? | MMONFT | MMORPG.com

124»

Comments

• laseritlaserit Member LegendaryPosts: 7,591
    edited January 2022
    bcbully said:
    laserit said:
    bcbully said:
    laserit said:
    bcbully said:
    Wargfoot said:
    You can get rights to photos at iStock for very little money.
    Heck, if you need custom artwork contact an art school.

You can own physical originals of images for less than many NFTs.
    In fact, you can own artwork by famous artists for less than many NFTs.

You can have a Picasso drawing, or Henri Matisse for under 2K.

Compare that with a picture of a chimp, in cheetah spots, wearing a crown as an NFT.

Can your print get you on a Yacht party during NYC NFT week though?

This year your going to see  access and perks come to the forefront for art/pfp NFTs.

Gaming NFTs do this by nature. The explosion value of gaming NFTs is real. They are going blow minds in 2022.

If I owned a work of art, I could make an NFT...

Why not the other way around?

If I make a poster of the NFT I supposedly own, I can't help if the pixels line up to look like Melania Trump.

And If I'm not allowed to do that, they can shove the shit right back up their ass ;)
    NFTs are creating 3d printed sculptures as we speak ser. NFTs will be playing a role in fabrication sooner than you think.

You should be at the forefront of this. You have the knowledge and the know how ;)
    But can you reproduce and sell your works?

The works that you create with the NFT's that you own.

Or is that dependent on each and every NFT?

Can you be sued? and I'd be very worried about that if I bought one of Melania's NFT's.

If you know what I mean ;)

edit: the thing is @bcbully

I could pay a lawyer to advise me on the meaning of all the legalese. But I don't think it's worth my money or my time.
    Sure you can reproduce as you are the creator. The design for your prototype could be sold as an NFT. If/when the buyer sells that design the, NFT could be coded to return a royalty to you, for as much as you see fit. All without lawyers and you having to run around and collect. 

I'm sure this isn't a spot on fit for your business, but I bet you could come up with some worthy applications. You just have to get a guy to code what you want. 

Might be a fun side thing to look into. 

So lets take this example:

I buy one of Melania's NFT's.

I decide to make a keychain. I use it in the design of my keychain and I sell millions of keychains.

Am I going to get my ass sued?

edit: Or are NFT's , nothing but a modern day stamp collection?

I don't know about you guys, but I found that stuff boring.

"Be water my friend" - Bruce Lee

• bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838
    edited January 2022
    laserit said:
    bcbully said:
    laserit said:
    bcbully said:
    laserit said:
    bcbully said:
    Wargfoot said:

Compare that with a picture of a chimp, in cheetah spots, wearing a crown as an NFT.

This year your going to see  access and perks come to the forefront for art/pfp NFTs.

Gaming NFTs do this by nature. The explosion value of gaming NFTs is real. They are going blow minds in 2022.

If I make a poster of the NFT I supposedly own, I can't help if the pixels line up to look like Melania Trump.

And If I'm not allowed to do that, they can shove the shit right back up their ass ;)
    NFTs are creating 3d printed sculptures as we speak ser. NFTs will be playing a role in fabrication sooner than you think.

You should be at the forefront of this. You have the knowledge and the know how ;)

Can you be sued? and I'd be very worried about that if I bought one of Melania's NFT's.

I could pay a lawyer to advise me on the meaning of all the legalese. But I don't think it's worth my money or my time.
    Sure you can reproduce as you are the creator. The design for your prototype could be sold as an NFT. If/when the buyer sells that design the, NFT could be coded to return a royalty to you, for as much as you see fit. All without lawyers and you having to run around and collect. 

I'm sure this isn't a spot on fit for your business, but I bet you could come up with some worthy applications. You just have to get a guy to code what you want. 

I decide to make a keychain. I use it in the design of my keychain and I sell millions of keychains.

In this example buying a Melania NFT on Solana whatever happens to you, you get what you deserve lmao.

And yeah knowing them the NFT would have full reproduction rights and a 99% royalty, that Donald would then sue you over 10 years 100 million dollars later. 

I agree, I just don't get pfp and art NFTs. That being said, I never been a painting/picture guy. 

I came across a project a couple nights ago though that kinda got me. 
    https://opensea.io/collection/fluf-world

I could see bringing a girl from the club clicking a button and turning on my digital picture frame with that in it like "yeeeeeah baby". Fiiiiiiire
    [Deleted User]
    "We see fundamentals and we ape in"
    bcbully said:
    laserit said:
    bcbully said:
    laserit said:
    bcbully said:
    laserit said:
    bcbully said:
    Wargfoot said:

In this example buying a Melania NFT on Solana whatever happens to you, you get what you deserve lmao.

And yeah knowing them the NFT would have full reproduction rights and a 99% royalty, that Donald would then sue you over 10 years 100 million dollars later. 

I agree, I just don't get pfp and art NFTs. That being said, I never been a painting/picture guy. 

I could see bringing a girl from the club clicking a button and turning on my digital picture frame with that in it like "yeeeeeah baby". Fiiiiiiire
    I have no problem with that.

Like I said earlier, they can shove that back where it came from and people can enjoy their stamp collections.

I just wouldn't be doing a lot of high stakes betting, but hey you never know....

I could be one of the lucky ones ;)

• VrikaVrika Member LegendaryPosts: 7,888
    laserit said:
    bcbully said:
    laserit said:
    bcbully said:
    Wargfoot said:

It depends on the license terms of the NFT, but normally you are not allowed to make copies to sell.

Also NFTs would be really poor way to handle blueprints or assets that are meant to be copied for other products. The blockchain's tracking could't track copies made by the NFT's holder, and without that option a traditional license agreement works better.
    laserit[Deleted User]TheDalaiBomba

edited January 2022
    Vrika said:
    laserit said:
    bcbully said:
    laserit said:
    bcbully said:
    Wargfoot said:

It depends on the license terms of the NFT, but normally you are not allowed to make copies to sell.

Also NFTs would be really poor way to handle blueprints or assets that are meant to be copied for other products. The blockchain's tracking could't track copies made by the NFT's holder, and without that option a traditional license agreement works better.
    I don't want to make a copy, I want to incorporate some of it into one of my own designs.

edit: the designs are physical, not digital.

edited January 2022
    laserit said:
    bcbully said:
    laserit said:
    bcbully said:
    laserit said:
    bcbully said:
    laserit said:
    bcbully said:
    Wargfoot said:

I have no problem with that.

Like I said earlier, they can shove that back where it came from and people can enjoy their stamp collections.

I just wouldn't be doing a lot of high stakes betting, but hey you never know....

I could be one of the lucky ones ;)
    Luck = when preparation meets opportunity. I've been extremely "lucky", fortunate, the past 3 weeks.

• VrikaVrika Member LegendaryPosts: 7,888
    edited January 2022
    laserit said:
    Vrika said:
    laserit said:

I don't want to make a copy, I want to incorporate some of it into one of my own designs.

Would the part you're copying fall under industrial design rights? If it does, to be honest I've got no idea how those work.

But on general level if the stuff you want to copy falls under industrial design rights, copyright, or has something patented then all those would need a license before you can use it, and NFTs usually don't come with that kind of license.

If you want to copy some small enough part or detail, those can often also be copied without restrictions unless that specific part/detail is patented.

[Deleted User]laserit

edited January 2022
    laserit said:
    Vrika said:
    laserit said:
    bcbully said:
    laserit said:
    bcbully said:
    Wargfoot said:

Yes companies doing just this. Watches, purses, etc sold with an NFT proving authenticity and collection number. 

https://vidtdatalink.medium.com/vidt-nfts-the-1st-use-case-explained-with-a-vintage-rolex-f9fda068ddac

edit for better example
    maskedweasellaserit
  • maskedweaselmaskedweasel Member LegendaryPosts: 12,180
    Torval said:
    If your "smart contract" doesn't assign copyright rights or royalty (free) unencumbered use of the asset then no you cannot.

Another really weird twist to NFT asset ownership is that the token is really linked to a hash of the file. The original owner could in theory sell many NFTs of visually identical assets to many people as long as the file hash differed. That could be as little as embedding something in the image like 0 of 100, 1 of 100, 2 of 100, etc. Or it wouldn't necessarily need to be visually recognizable as long as the hash is different then it's a "completely different file".

There are a lot of ways this could be exploited in this manner. Just give it time for clever people to get creative with it.
    Correct.

A single piece could be minted 100 times and verifiable through the hash. 

Not really a point in NFT art because imo NFT art doesn't make sense to begin with. There's little to no utility. 

In games it makes sense, even if you don't consider mint number to be worth anything, the ability to verifiably limit assets could be useful in very specific games. 

But here's the issue, limited mint runs are still circumvented by variant mint runs. So you could have master sword and then once the limited mint runs out, in a month you'll get a run of green master sword.  Etc. 

Which really kills the idea of getting something that's unique. 

The only time that virtual items become truly unique are the ways in which players can cultivate them with history and growth. But at that point it's also going into a territory most gamers don't want to see. 

As for rights, it all comes down to the NFT and the rights associated with it. Some actually allow you to sell merchandize based on the NFT you own. Some still require licensing. Some only provide licensing if you own an NFT, and some only give you the ability to monetize the NFT you own up to a certain earnings threshold before they require licensing. 

I wouldn't be surprised if most people don't know what their rights are to the NFT's they own. I always felt there are too many people out there with too much money and not enough sense. Then again, it seems when it comes to art, it's a frivolous status symbol instead of a means for people to actually make use of it for future monetary gain. 
    bcbully[Deleted User]eoloe

My point in all this is that it gets really complicated. I wouldn't just go out and start pumping things out.
    maskedweasel

• cheyanecheyane Member LegendaryPosts: 9,100
    Kyleran said:
    cheyane said:
    Rungar said:
    looks like another house of merchandise to me. Ill just get a new hobby.
    When I was a younger after I gave birth I took up rollerblading to slim down. I had a bad spill and I started playing console games. I changed my hobby then to gaming, do you think at 65+ I can go back to rollerblading?  

Three new Jinx emotes  League of Legends  League of legends League of  legends characters Fantasy women
    Sure, I'm almost 65, been a long time runner but over the years Ive taken some hard falls, more frequently as I got older, culminating with 3 in a 5 month period last year.

I could have stopped running, my Drs and family encouraged me to but I really didn't want to, so I analyzed why it was becoming problematic.

Running in the dark, early morning hours was one, so I started carrying a flashlight and now wear a terrific headlamp to improve visibility.

My shoes have been wearing out more quickly for some reason, either manufacturers are making them cheaper (I shell out about $130 or so) or I'm just dragging my feet more as I age.

I now replace them every three months and I worked with my local running store to find an unusually designed shoe, Altra Rivera which has a broader toe box area to help with balance.

Finally, although I don't look very stylish, I run wearing roller blade elbow and wrist guards as those were the areas taking the greatest damage when I fell. (Well and my face, but a full coverage motorcycle helmet seemed impractical.)  ;)

Couple all of that with making sure I pay more attention to looking down more instead of up and out has resulted in 217 days now w/o a fall.

Point is you can keep doing more physical activities as you get older, just have to make allowances and take more precautions.

My wife still won't let me take up base jumping though ... ;)

Cheers.
    I cannot run. I exercise daily but running is out. My knees are not good and running makes them worse. I walk.
    Chamber of Chains
    edited January 2022
    Torval said:
    On the not so funny side and pertaining to NFTs. This is an example of the dangers of NFTs on closed networks. Idc what it is, if it's not minted on Ethereum and uploaded in to IPFS I'm very skeptical. Marvel and VeVe is a similar platform. 
    https://www.coindesk.com/business/2022/01/12/nba-top-shot-bans-user-freehongkong/

in addition - This is a pressure point that MUST be addressed when dealing with P2E games made by legacy publishers. If the NFTs earned are not on a public blockchain the exact same thing NBA Top Shots did can happen to gamers. 

Each of these legacy publisher NFT offerings need to be examined on a case by case basis and distinction needs to be drawn. 

"Who can you trust" No one. Not your keys not your NFTs.

Post edited by bcbully on
  • vegetableoilvegetableoil Member RarePosts: 768
    Well, NFT lol I really want to explain it but this video explains better why its "ownership" on the blockchain is essentially just the hash of the hyperlink lmao.

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • maskedweaselmaskedweasel Member LegendaryPosts: 12,180
    Wargfoot said:
    The benefit of an NFT is an imaginary yacht party now?  
    To be fair, an imaginary yacht party is a benefit of everything. 
    Wargfoot

• DigDuggyDigDuggy Member RarePosts: 641
    I have to problem with Blockchain or NFTs.  In fact, I buy digital books, subscribe to digital music, and spend a lot of time in virtual worlds that kill pixel people.    The problem is one of design.  A game should be designed that is fun and engaging with various elements that support this.  Basing a game on any ONE element such as Blockchain will more than likely miss the mark.  Don't say it isn't possible, but very difficult.

I await a game that looks engaging and fun and if it has the element of Blockchain, I'll consider it.  So far, there is nothing that interests me.  In fact I don't really know many so my experience in even looking at possibilities is limited to even know whether anything good exists.
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,500
    Reported the bot, answer to the thread question, as always is still

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon