Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Has There Ever Been A Zone In An MMO You Simply Hated? | MMORPG.com

SystemSystem Member UncommonPosts: 12,599
edited January 2022 in News & Features Discussion

imageHas There Ever Been A Zone In An MMO You Simply Hated? | MMORPG.com

Is there a zone in an MMO that makes you sick to your stomach at the prospect of running through it again? Bradford ruminates on his, The Lone Lands in The Lord of the Rings Online.

Read the full story here

Comments

• sittinfacesittinface Member UncommonPosts: 2
    EQ's Kithikor Forest at night.
    jeremybrock04MensurTuor7Alec_StormrkipLevrion
  • olepiolepi Member EpicPosts: 2,829
    edited January 2022
    The first time (and last time) I tried the original Mortal Online.
    The_KorriganLevrion

------------
    2024: 47 years on the Net.

• Viper482Viper482 Member LegendaryPosts: 4,065
    Angmar is so much worse lol.

Personally I hate any zone that is ridiculous to navigate through due to terrain that cannot be traversed so you have a maze of crap to go through.
    The_KorriganKaylessHarikenUngoodKyleran
    Make MMORPG's Great Again!
  • SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,014
    Viper482 said:

Personally I hate any zone that is ridiculous to navigate through due to terrain that cannot be traversed so you have a maze of crap to go through.
    I'm the opposite.. I loved the original old forest in Lord of the Rings Online. I enjoy areas that require one to pay attention and note objects/terrain in order to navigate. Getting lost is fun.

Having said that I hated two areas in Lord of the Rings Online, Heitbolt (or whatever it was) which was the most boring grind in order to get radiance items/rebuild the town and the grind in Lothlorien in order to get the white steed.

MendelUngood
    Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • lahnmirlahnmir Member LegendaryPosts: 5,041
    edited January 2022
    Viper482 said:

So much this.

And the Lone Lands is awesome. Just arriving at the Forsaken Inn for the first time is great, just like Wearhertop. Nope, I love the Lone Lands. It is well laid out as well. Contrary to, indeed, Angmar. Which I hate.

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir
    ircaddictsThe_KorriganKaylessHariken
    'the only way he could nail it any better is if he used a cross.'

Kyleran on yours sincerely 

'But there are many. You can play them entirely solo, and even offline. Also, you are wrong by default.'

Ikcin in response to yours sincerely debating whether or not single-player offline MMOs exist...

'This does not apply just to ED but SC or any other game. What they will get is Rebirth/X4, likely prettier but equally underwhelming and pointless. 

It is incredibly difficult to design some meaningfull leg content that would fit a space ship game - simply because it is not a leg game.

It is just huge resource waste....'

Gdemami absolutely not being an armchair developer

• ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,986
    edited January 2022
    lahnmir said:
    Viper482 said:

So much this.

And the Lone Lands is awesome. Just arriving at the Forsaken Inn for the first time is great, just like Wearhertop. Nope, I love the Lone Lands. It is well laid out as well. Contrary to, indeed, Angmar. Which I hate.

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir
    Purposely in my eyes, you don't think you can run around the Witch King's old haunt without his boys being on your case do you? Maybe the game is trying to tell you something? Might I suggest a group for Angmar. ;)
    Kaylesslahnmir
  • dragonlee66dragonlee66 Member UncommonPosts: 28
    EQ Kedge Keep hate that zone lol
    kitaradsittinfacekjempffUngood

• ircaddictsircaddicts Member UncommonPosts: 218
    Everswim in LOTRO was SOO much worse then Lonelands I could set my toon to autorun/swim and go watch a tv show and when i came back i might of gotten to where i wanted.
    ReverielleAbimor

Top 3 MMO's PRE-CU SWG GW1 GW2

Worst 2 wow and Lotro Under standing stones it went woke 

• lahnmirlahnmir Member LegendaryPosts: 5,041
    Scot said:
    lahnmir said:
    Viper482 said:

So much this.

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir
    Purposely in my eyes, you don't think you can run around the Witch King's old haunt without his boys being on your case do you? Maybe the game is trying to tell you something? Might I suggest a group for Angmar. ;)
    From a lore perspective it definitely makes sense. From a gameplay perspective, not so much. It is tedious and clashes weirdly with the laid back attitude the gameplay of LotRO has.

What I admire about the Lone Lands is that it is basically a ‘from left to right’ zone but still feels weirdly open and interesting.

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir
    olepiircaddictsUngood
    'the only way he could nail it any better is if he used a cross.'

Kyleran on yours sincerely 

'But there are many. You can play them entirely solo, and even offline. Also, you are wrong by default.'

Ikcin in response to yours sincerely debating whether or not single-player offline MMOs exist...

'This does not apply just to ED but SC or any other game. What they will get is Rebirth/X4, likely prettier but equally underwhelming and pointless. 

It is incredibly difficult to design some meaningfull leg content that would fit a space ship game - simply because it is not a leg game.

It is just huge resource waste....'

Gdemami absolutely not being an armchair developer

• olepiolepi Member EpicPosts: 2,829
    lahnmir said:
    Scot said:
    lahnmir said:
    Viper482 said:

So much this.

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir
    From a lore perspective it definitely makes sense. From a gameplay perspective, not so much. It is tedious and clashes weirdly with the laid back attitude the gameplay of LotRO has.

What I admire about the Lone Lands is that it is basically a ‘from left to right’ zone but still feels weirdly open and interesting.

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir

Just now doing Lone Lands with my Captain, Ysleta. One of my favorite zones of all time.
    lahnmir

------------
    2024: 47 years on the Net.

• 10chai10chai Member UncommonPosts: 23
    Tangled Depths - Guild Wars 2
    lahnmirDekahnUngoodjondifoolReverielle
  • TillerTiller Member LegendaryPosts: 11,167

10chai said:

Tangled Depths - Guild Wars 2

This
    lahnmirDekahnUngoodAndraxx
    SWG Bloodfin vet
    Elder Jedi/Elder Bounty Hunter

• kitaradkitarad Member LegendaryPosts: 7,919
    EQ Kedge Keep hate that zone lol
    yeah me too.

• 2TonGamer2TonGamer Member UncommonPosts: 50
    Lone Lands in LOTRO isn't bad at all even before the revamped questing, but afterward definitely not. I agree with someone here about Everswim back before the boats to get to the other side. It still is not one of my favs WITH the boats. I did not enjoy Angmar and try to avoid it. I like CD and URU, but questing and that dreary whistling noise instead of a decent soundtrack just kills any joy I have for that area. Also after playing WoW Classic I see a resemblance in Angmar's wastelands and that one area in Classic where the vendor paths between stopping points (forgot the name).
    Ungood
  • BabuinixBabuinix Member EpicPosts: 4,265
    Western and Eastern Plaguelands for thr sheer fact that I spent enourmous ammount of hours lvl/grinding/pvp'ing there and the brownish/depressive setting was simply uggly.
  • The_KorriganThe_Korrigan Member RarePosts: 3,459
    edited January 2022
    Almost all WoW:Burning Crusade areas except Nagrand and Shadowmoon.
    There's a reason why I don't play TBC classic (beside the fact that I completed it in and out back then).

What a contrast with WotLK where I loved all areas !
    Respect, walk, what did you say?
    Respect, walk
    Are you talkin' to me? Are you talkin' to me?
    - PANTERA at HELLFEST 2023
    Yes, they are back !

• AlverantAlverant Member RarePosts: 1,320
    I have to go back to early City of Heroes zone Independence Port. It was several miles long and the metra station was north end. It was so big it had another zone inside it, Tardis style. Things were improved later so there was another metra station in the south end that helped some, but not as much as I'd hoped.
    Ungood
  • MendelMendel Member LegendaryPosts: 5,609
    EQ1:  Dagnor's Caldron. It was supposed to be a lake in a volcano crater.  What it was was an inhospitable zone where there was almost no place to stand and fight and more goblins than knew what was good for them.  You tolerated a journey into Dagnor's only as a means to travel to someplace more interesting (Kedge Keep or Unrest).

RunnyEye may be a close second.  Useful only as a shortcut from Misty Thicket to the Gorge.  Lots of horrid goblins, with the occasional Evil Eye that could charm or fear you.  A runaway enchanter in a series of "twisty tunnels, all alike" isn't the most conducive thing for a successful dungeon crawl.  It did have some identifiable camps, that pushed it to a runner-up for my worst.

Ungoodsittinface

Logic, my dear, merely enables one to be wrong with great authority.

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • cameltosiscameltosis Member LegendaryPosts: 3,706
    Mirkwood in LotRO

I absolutely hated that zone. It was designed in an overly gamified way, resulting in a patchwork quilt effect of many dramatic changes in a very small area. didn't feel like it was a part of the rest of the game. The content was also very limited and quick to complete. Mirkwood was just, overall, a very bad period of time for the game.

I can understand the dislike of the lone lands, it was a very bleak and desolate area. Back during SoA before all the revamps, it also didn't have much content so it was a pain to get through. Not to mention the pain when you had to return 5-10 levels later to work through Garth Agewen dungeon after spending some lovely time in the North Downs.

Angmar.....well, I loved it to be honest. It could be a very frustrating zone as so much of the content was group content and took ages to complete. But once you were in a group, there were loads of interesting quests and locations to visit. I also spent significant time in Angmar hunting rare mobs for crafting mats, before they nerfed the crafting system.
    Ungood
  • LackingMMOLackingMMO Member RarePosts: 664

EQ's Kithikor Forest at night.

Oh man but it had such an atmosphere about it! I remember being a lvl 60 warrior in Cobalt armor and still hugging zone wall to get past that area. I know a lot of people that just avoided it because of the horror from when they were lower levels lol!
    Tuor7Ungoodsittinface
  • LithuanianLithuanian Member UncommonPosts: 543
    Lotro's Moria. Place where there is almost impossible to navigate. Map very clearly shows price of milk in Arctic at 9999 B.C. Following arrow is impossible, almost every time you must do opposite. Arrow points forward? Good, run backward. Need South - surely, go North.

Dale lands, Elven part (with Felegoth). Dark road, dark forest around, dark land beneath you, dark sky above yoyu, dark river near you, samely dark bridge...5000 shades of black, making navigation almost impossible. Human and Dwarf parts were normal.

Minas Tirith, town, bigger than half of game, lagging like hell with Lag Fields nearby.

Gundabad or just G-bad. Because 3D maze, just Moria v.2.0. Got there, saw same Moria, same map that does not help - thanks, not returning. Because tons of too strong uruks/orcs/whatever swarming around one tiny quest point. I needed just to check in there - yes, just pass that 20 or 30 grouped lvl.140 monsters, surely...
    Ungood
  • AeanderAeander Member LegendaryPosts: 7,838
    I genuinely dislike almost every Maguuma map in GW2.

Caledon Forest? Ugly and boring, with too many underwater hearts and slow hearts that make it a slow complete.

Brisban Wildlands? HUGE and boring.

Metrica Province? Me no likey Asura.

Sparkfly Fen? Gross.

Mount Maelstrom? Actually, this one is pretty good and diverse, so it's the exception.
    Dekahn
  • The_KorriganThe_Korrigan Member RarePosts: 3,459
    Lotro's Moria.

I disliked that area a lot, but not for the same reasons.

First, Moria is supposed to be dark, and the place was generally more lit than a dwarf disco nightclub on a Saturday night.
    Second, it was just fake 3D, it's a flat map with some "teleports" to make you believe there's also depth to it.

I was expecting MUCH more for what should be the greatest, scariest and largest dungeon of all times. Like e.g. large parts requiring a torch to navigate.
    Respect, walk, what did you say?
    Respect, walk
    Are you talkin' to me? Are you talkin' to me?
    - PANTERA at HELLFEST 2023
    Yes, they are back !

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,014
    Lotro's Moria.

I disliked that area a lot, but not for the same reasons.

First, Moria is supposed to be dark, and the place was generally more lit than a dwarf disco nightclub on a Saturday night.
    Second, it was just fake 3D, it's a flat map with some "teleports" to make you believe there's also depth to it.

I was expecting MUCH more for what should be the greatest, scariest and largest dungeon of all times. Like e.g. large parts requiring a torch to navigate.
    It should have, at least to my tastes, been a giant dungeon crawl with various bosses in various areas, darker in a lot of areas and no dwarves camping the place.

You'd be surprised, by the way, to know that there are people who hate very dark dungeons.
    The_Korrigan
    Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo