Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Embers Adrift First Trailer Introduces The World and Emphasizes Player-Driven Exploration | MMORPG.c

SystemSystem Member UncommonPosts: 12,599
edited January 2022 in News & Features Discussion

imageEmbers Adrift First Trailer Introduces The World and Emphasizes Player-Driven Exploration | MMORPG.com

Embers Adrift's first trailer shows the world and creatures, but focuses on mystery and player-driven exploration and discovery.

Read the full story here

Ungoodachesoma

Comments

• Slapshot1188Slapshot1188 Member LegendaryPosts: 16,983
    Gameplay video here

[Deleted User]eoloeGreatness

All time classic  MY NEW FAVORITE POST!  (Keep laying those bricks)

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

Proudly wearing the Harbinger badge since Dec 23, 2017. 

Coined the phrase "Role-Playing a Development Team" January 2018

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

• SabbythSabbyth Member UncommonPosts: 52
    The world looks alright but combat looks dreadful in my opinion.
    [Deleted User]The_Korrigan
    "A delayed game is eventually good, but a rushed game is forever bad."
    — Shigeru Miyamoto
  • SandmanjwSandmanjw Member RarePosts: 527
    Sabbyth said:
    The world looks alright but combat looks dreadful in my opinion.
    And the fire smoke...Still Alpha I guess.

Something to build on though. Have to wait and see on release what they make of it.
    Ungood
  • borghive49borghive49 Member RarePosts: 493
    Didn't they start this project in like 2015? This is what they got after 6 years of development? 
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498
    Better than some other games have shown, COE/KOE cough cough...

Considering their experience, budget and turnover it's right about where I would have expected it to be.. miles from the finish line, but, they are in "good" company.

velimirius[Deleted User]Ungood

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    edited January 2022
    The pace of combat looks like hot garbage.

Combat that is so fast that you kill 10 mobs in one second is one extreme (but popularized in and a staple of ARPGs) but going this far in the other direction is also ridiculous... more so IMO.
    [Deleted User]UngoodThe_Korrigan
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• gelraengelraen Member UncommonPosts: 316

Iselin said:

The pace of combat looks like hot garbage.

Combat that is so fast that you kill 10 mobs in one second is one extreme (but popularized in and a staple of ARPGs) but going this far in the other direction is also ridiculous... more so IMO.

I wonder if they're going for some sort of pseudo turn based combat here? It's hard to tell from the video if it's just broken and bad, or somehow semi-turn-based intentional.
    Mendel
  • ValdheimValdheim Member RarePosts: 614
    I hope they get the combat right/better than what we can see so far because otherwise in kinda reminds me of Vanguard: Saga of Heroes
    edited January 2022
    Valdheim said:
    I hope they get the combat right/better than what we can see so far because otherwise in kinda reminds me of Vanguard: Saga of Heroes
    Like Pantheon, I think they are going for a combat pacing similar to Vanguard or EQ1, (circa 1998) certainly nothing like more modern games.

Won't be surprised if a player has to rest after longer fights as they've already embraced other "old school" mechanics such as no maps or even a compass (just crazy talk) and it looks as if you'll need to carry a torch at night, hampering combat in some fashion I'd imagine.

[Deleted User]achesomaUngood

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• UngoodUngood Member LegendaryPosts: 7,530
    Didn't they start this project in like 2015? This is what they got after 6 years of development? 
    Not really, it was started as Saga of Lucina, there was an internal upheaval, not sure what went down, but, the previous dynamic of the game was scrapped, so it's not been in development for 6 years, there has been a huge restart in the mess, and I think that went down like a year and a half ago, so seeing a trailer at this point, is pretty cool. 
    Kyleran
    Egotism is the anesthetic that dullens the pain of stupidity, this is why when I try to beat my head against the stupidity of other people, I only hurt myself.

• achesomaachesoma Member RarePosts: 1,726

Kyleran said:

Valdheim said:

Like Pantheon, I think they are going for a combat pacing similar to Vanguard or EQ1, (circa 1998) certainly nothing like more modern games.

Won't be surprised if a player has to rest after longer fights as they've already embraced other "old school" mechanics such as no maps or even a compass (just crazy talk) and it looks as if you'll need to carry a torch at night, hampering combat in some fashion I'd imagine.

This. Slow combat is very much by design. There are influences from EQ and SWG. They even have a Battle Fatigue system very similar to SWG that requires down time for healing. The idea is to replicate the social, table-top rpg experience. The game design philosophy seems to remain the same as when it was SOL.

There are support roles that can function while holding a light source. Ground torches are also a thing as to not hamper combat if need be.

There will be an in-game map/atlas with exploration discovery system. Just no mini maps.
    [Deleted User]UngoodKyleranTokken
    Preaching Pantheon to People at PAX  PAX East 2018 Day 4 - YouTube
  • user298user298 Member UncommonPosts: 152
    edited January 2022
    You mean, it emphasizes that "there's nothing else to do other than exploring whole in-game world which would take a couple of days or bash poorly animated dumb NPCs". Why would I ever want to play that instead of, for example, Valheim?
    [Deleted User]
    user298 said:
    You mean, it emphasizes that "there's nothing else to do other than exploring whole in-game world which would take a couple of days or bash poorly animated dumb NPCs". Why would I ever want to play that instead of, for example, Valheim?
    I guess you wouldn't, except Valheim isn't really a MMO, no idea if Embers will really turn out to be much of one, miles to go and all that.

• Asm0deusAsm0deus Member EpicPosts: 4,404
    Naw hard pass for me, got to many other games to play that look way way better.
    [Deleted User][Deleted User]

Brenics ~ Just to point out I do believe Chris Roberts is going down as the man who cheated backers and took down crowdfunding for gaming.

• iatesandiatesand Member UncommonPosts: 92
    Valheim is a solo to small sever game. EA is a old school inspired mmo. They don't play the same, they don't feel the same and they each scratch their own itch. Combat is slow, groups are critical and there is a encouraged social aspect to the game.

Combat like this emphasizes group make up and situational awareness, your not going to mass pull 30 mobs with no risk. Adds matter, skills matter, target priority matter, resource management matter.

It is a different older combat style. It is not for everybody,
  • UngoodUngood Member LegendaryPosts: 7,530
    user298 said:
    Not every game needs to cater to every player.

Enjoy Valheim.
    Egotism is the anesthetic that dullens the pain of stupidity, this is why when I try to beat my head against the stupidity of other people, I only hurt myself.

edited January 2022
    Torval said:
    Kyleran said:
    Valdheim said:

I don't remember Vanguard combat being particularly slow. I remember it being paced around the same as EQ2. They shared a lot of similarities. Both are thoughtful but slow isn't how I'd describe them. They have skills with longer cooldowns or charge (EQ2 warden) so choice matters to a degree. But not clunky like this.

This combat just looks bad. It looks janky like the engine itself is slogging out the calculation.

Turn based combat doesn't mean slow and clunky. Final Fantasy 7 has a setting that limits how long each turn can take. It can be quite hectic.

Do you mean it's more of a fluidity of animations problem than the actual pace of combat?

Vanguard was pretty slow.

Slapshot1188
    Torval said:
    Kyleran said:
    Valdheim said:

I don't remember Vanguard combat being particularly slow. I remember it being paced around the same as EQ2. They shared a lot of similarities. Both are thoughtful but slow isn't how I'd describe them. They have skills with longer cooldowns or charge (EQ2 warden) so choice matters to a degree. But not clunky like this.

This combat just looks bad. It looks janky like the engine itself is slogging out the calculation.

Turn based combat doesn't mean slow and clunky. Final Fantasy 7 has a setting that limits how long each turn can take. It can be quite hectic.
    When I played it at launch I definitely had an under performing rig so perhaps I never really got to play it at "speed."

Never went back after quitting in the 2nd month and it was many years ago so my memory isn't what it used to be.

What's concerning is normally trailers and early reveals try to show game play in their best light, if that's the case here I shudder to think what typical performance currently is 

Definitely a reason to stay far away for now as I'm not their target audience, I like my QOL improvements, why do you think I have like 25 + mods in ESO?

• TokkenTokken Member EpicPosts: 3,549
    edited January 2022
    finally a video, something with substance , Thank you!

Proud MMORPG.com member since March 2004!  Make PvE GREAT Again!

• bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838
    achesoma said:
    Torval said:
    Kyleran said:
    Valdheim said:

Do you mean it's more of a fluidity of animations problem than the actual pace of combat?

That's 15 years old. 

Forgive, but doesn't embers look like the same thing but less?
    [Deleted User]
    "We see fundamentals and we ape in"
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • zevni78zevni78 Member UncommonPosts: 1,146
    The combat... Someone needs to tell these devs, and the ones working on Pantheon, that we don't use dial-up modems anymore.
    [Deleted User]Kyleran
  • QuarterStackQuarterStack Member RarePosts: 546
    To be fair, think this is more new stuff than we saw in years as SoL.

bcbully said:
    achesoma said:
    Torval said:
    Kyleran said:
    Valdheim said:

That's 15 years old. 

Forgive, but doesn't embers look like the same thing but less?

Yeah, that's the point. It's supposed to be slow.

I posted the video in response to someone not remembering if Vanguard had slow combat.
  • The_KorriganThe_Korrigan Member RarePosts: 3,459
    The game looks interesting enough, but the animations and combat are just horrible...
    Respect, walk, what did you say?
    Respect, walk
    Are you talkin' to me? Are you talkin' to me?
    - PANTERA at HELLFEST 2023
    Yes, they are back !