Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

New World Makes It Onto Steam's Best Of 2021 Lists Alongside Valheim, Naraka and More | MMORPG.com

2»

Comments

• AkulasAkulas Member RarePosts: 3,006
    That game that has 3 people running it and a playerbase of 52 with no more than 19 concurrent players on at a time is more bug free than New World but unfortunately only earned $120 in donations over the year. So I guess New World is new and earnt more but it's still not the better game.
    YashaX

This isn't a signature, you just think it is.

• Jaguaratron1Jaguaratron1 Member UncommonPosts: 298
    New World has hemorrhaged 91% of its initial players and has jaunted from disaster to disaster, its just bad, the worlds cant hold many players, its small which is why no mounts, its combat is trash, its main focus, that of PvP is something most players will never see as Wars are clique driven and randoms have no chance of taking place.

The only redeeming feature is that its pretty.
    ScorchienBrainyItsThatGuy
  • DigDuggyDigDuggy Member RarePosts: 641
    They had a criteria and New World met it.  I don't know why so many seem so appalled/flabergasted....  It's not like it's an opinion piece (Which I would put it in there because I like it, so I would vote for it...opinion).  This is metric driven.  How can you possibly argue the point.  get over it.  I think half the games on there are rubbish, but they're still there.  They didn't consult my opinion, or anyone elses.  DATA.

Have no fear though, I have sent in a note to steam to consult the forum in the future on what metrics they use and whether we agree with them or not.  Maybe they can weight the the metrics they use with the tears we seem to be weeping.

[Deleted User]YashaX
  • ScorchienScorchien Member LegendaryPosts: 8,914
    Torval said:
    Those numbers are based on sales. Yet there are still people saying stupid things.

Despite attrition, New World has a higher daily concurrency than most MMOs and many MMOs combined. Both CS:GO and Dota2 have around half of their original peak, and most games even those on the top 20 have lost 75% or more of their original peaks.

New World easily outpaces the concurrency of other popular progression based pvp games like EVE (which averages about 33K at its peak hours). It is consistently in the SteamCharts top 5 which no other MMO seems able to accomplish. FF14 sometimes makes it into the top 10. This is also the only MMO, except EVE, where you can get hard concurrency numbers because all of them including WoW, FF14, and ESO hide them.

I'm looking forward to seeing the results for Steam's Player Choice awards.

Steam Awards are out .. NW has rightfully been denied .. In all categories

Brainy[Deleted User]
  • DigDuggyDigDuggy Member RarePosts: 641
    tzervo said:
    Qbertq said:
    They had a criteria and New World met it.  I don't know why so many seem so appalled/flabergasted....  It's not like it's an opinion piece (Which I would put it in there because I like it, so I would vote for it...opinion).  This is metric driven.  How can you possibly argue the point.  get over it.  I think half the games on there are rubbish, but they're still there.  They didn't consult my opinion, or anyone elses.  DATA.

Have no fear though, I have sent in a note to steam to consult the forum in the future on what metrics they use and whether we agree with them or not.  Maybe they can weight the the metrics they use with the tears we seem to be weeping.

You got a point, but those saying that it shed 90% of its playerbase are also talking data.

I don't disagree.  Howevwr, it's not a data point for getting on the list.  Maybe a most shed player top 10 list.
    [Deleted User]
  • TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,751
    New World has hemorrhaged 91% of its initial players and has jaunted from disaster to disaster, its just bad, the worlds cant hold many players, its small which is why no mounts, its combat is trash, its main focus, that of PvP is something most players will never see as Wars are clique driven and randoms have no chance of taking place.

Not really because they got their money...Bad is when it flops and nobody buys it.....Thats the thing about buy to play....Once they get the money, who cares if they quit?
  • HengistHengist Member RarePosts: 1,282

Not really because they got their money...Bad is when it flops and nobody buys it.....Thats the thing about buy to play....Once they get the money, who cares if they quit?

The company that is relying on having a player base that will buy from the cash shop, so they continue to earn revenue?

Or was that meant to be a rhetorical question?
    [Deleted User]
    edited January 2022
    tzervo said:
    Torval said:
    tzervo said:
    You got a point, but those saying that it shed 90% of its playerbase are also talking data.
    New World after attrition has more players than games like UO ever had. It is consistently in the SteamCharts top 5 - 10. Right now it has 74K players in game. That's ~2.5 times as the peak EVE hits.

In all these years UO (one of their favorites) has never been on any awards list and never sat over 100K player concurrency. It was broadly panned as a steaming turd (and rightfully so) when it released because it was really that bad. It is unique, but also a horrible Ultima game. I'm sure the 30 people still playing it love it though.
    When comparing absolute numbers between games you also need to take into account the size of those studios and their respective running costs (esp. for further development), and the age of the games (for your EVE comparison, unless by peak you mean all-time peak, in which case the all-time peak for EVE's two servers was around 60k CCU). New World was an undeniable box sales success, numbers and OP steam rank prove so, but time will show if the 100k CCU are something that AGS considers a success in the long term. 100k CCU could be a stellar number for CCP but not for AGS, even though it is a fine concurrency number by itself.
    The stance these guys take is about as shallow , weak, and lacking substance as poorly as the game they defend in New World .  When you need to compare your game and flex against games like UO  and Eve that were released 25 years ago when the MMO market was 10x smaller and both UO and Eve are niche games , they have already lost any credibility and sane discussion ..

When there are posting disingenuous numbers about games like FF14 and ESO and claiming NW has better concurrency and only considering Steam when the other 2 are...

1. Available on multiple consoles..
    2.MANY  FF14 and ESO players also do not play thru Steam ..

They have already again lost credibility..

Comparing NW pop from a AAA dev with a huge budget to indie devs 25 years ago working with next to no budget in a market 10x smaller is quite evidently a very weak cry for help. 

GW2 for a 9 year old B2P RvR game is beating NW in concurrency daily,  that should be a concern .. 

Post edited by Scorchien on
    BrainyTwistedSister77
  • ConstantineMerusConstantineMerus Member EpicPosts: 3,338
    tzervo said:
    Germzypie said:
    Over 800 hours played. The game is visually amazing. Leveling was ok. Hit 60, concentrated on crafting and then i started hearing folks talking about "watermark system"....now called expertise which is just watermark 2.0. Everything in this game is a time-sink.....designed to have players do the same content over and over and over and over again due to lack of said content. For example, 2 players in same group in an expediton, player A has 800 hours played and is not very good, but has high watermark. Player B has 200 hours played and is exceptionally good. Player A, due to time played, gets some nice gear. Player B gets crap because his watermark low. Garbage loot system. Don't expect to possibly get anything good for at least 2 months after hitting max level.

PvP...I played melee and i could not deal with the desync and constant rubberbanding. PVP in this game is very sub-par and lackluster.

Was it worth the $40? Yes. I got my money worth. Now it is shelved with zero plans on returning. Do not let the # of copies sold fool you (once they release them). With no subscriptions, this game has very little revenue being generated. After the first 2 months, the only new players i ever seen were bots (with the strange names). In-game-store is garbage.

Bots. Where do i begin. New World is a bot paradise because they do nothing to control them. Reported the same 8 bots for 3 days straight then gave up. A month later, shortly before i quit, they were still roaming the same area farming all the nodes.

Twitch needs to look at how these games make the list. New World does not meet any metrics for "game of the year" except for # of copies sold because they lied about just about everything.
    Tldr: "Game is shit but worth the $40 but I regret it. Trust me, I played 800 to find out it is shit, that's how I know."

For the record, the 800 hours work more against your conclusion than they do to support the fact that you know what you are talking about. What I hear is: "there are problems like with every other game but it is fun enough to spend 800 hours in".

There are people on the forums with over 1000 hours played... I've calculated, that's on average over 8 hours a day every day since release.
    Some people don't need a video game, they need a therapist.
    You know streamers play 8-16 hours a day for a job.  

Picking up people's smelly trash for 8 hours a day.... good honest work... or therapist needed?

Let's not judge.  

I stand with my opinion. Playing the SAME video game, day after day, for 3+ months, for over 8 hours a day, is not sane. It's an obsession.
    Actually, it is not. 

It is a home away from home. People like familiar places, familiar faces, routines, and such. It gives them joy, comfort, a sense of belonging, and so on. Now, playing 8 hours a day might be considered not productive, but we really don't know anything about people's lives to call them not sane. I mean, many people stick to indoor activities because of COVID. Or whatever, it is their choice. Doesn't make them insane or anything. 
    [Deleted User][Deleted User]
    Constantine, The Console Poster

• "One of the most difficult tasks men can perform, however much others may despise it, is the invention of good games and it cannot be done by men out of touch with their instinctive selves." - Carl Jung
  • The_KorriganThe_Korrigan Member RarePosts: 3,459
    tzervo said:
    Germzypie said:
    Over 800 hours played. The game is visually amazing. Leveling was ok. Hit 60, concentrated on crafting and then i started hearing folks talking about "watermark system"....now called expertise which is just watermark 2.0. Everything in this game is a time-sink.....designed to have players do the same content over and over and over and over again due to lack of said content. For example, 2 players in same group in an expediton, player A has 800 hours played and is not very good, but has high watermark. Player B has 200 hours played and is exceptionally good. Player A, due to time played, gets some nice gear. Player B gets crap because his watermark low. Garbage loot system. Don't expect to possibly get anything good for at least 2 months after hitting max level.

PvP...I played melee and i could not deal with the desync and constant rubberbanding. PVP in this game is very sub-par and lackluster.

Was it worth the $40? Yes. I got my money worth. Now it is shelved with zero plans on returning. Do not let the # of copies sold fool you (once they release them). With no subscriptions, this game has very little revenue being generated. After the first 2 months, the only new players i ever seen were bots (with the strange names). In-game-store is garbage.

Bots. Where do i begin. New World is a bot paradise because they do nothing to control them. Reported the same 8 bots for 3 days straight then gave up. A month later, shortly before i quit, they were still roaming the same area farming all the nodes.

Twitch needs to look at how these games make the list. New World does not meet any metrics for "game of the year" except for # of copies sold because they lied about just about everything.
    Tldr: "Game is shit but worth the $40 but I regret it. Trust me, I played 800 to find out it is shit, that's how I know."

For the record, the 800 hours work more against your conclusion than they do to support the fact that you know what you are talking about. What I hear is: "there are problems like with every other game but it is fun enough to spend 800 hours in".

There are people on the forums with over 1000 hours played... I've calculated, that's on average over 8 hours a day every day since release.

Picking up people's smelly trash for 8 hours a day.... good honest work... or therapist needed?

Let's not judge.  

I stand with my opinion. Playing the SAME video game, day after day, for 3+ months, for over 8 hours a day, is not sane. It's an obsession.
    Actually, it is not. 

It is a home away from home. People like familiar places, familiar faces, routines, and such. It gives them joy, comfort, a sense of belonging, and so on. Now, playing 8 hours a day might be considered not productive, but we really don't know anything about people's lives to call them not sane. I mean, many people stick to indoor activities because of COVID. Or whatever, it is their choice. Doesn't make them insane or anything. 

So most of those many people are unemployed, or living in their parent's basement, or retired ? That's your theory ?
    There's no other explanation for being able to spend 8+ hours per day, every day, for months, in a video game.

I happens that I'm playing 8+ hours sometimes on week-ends, specially when the weather sucks, but anyone pretending he can do that and also have a 8 hours daytime job every day of the week is... inventing a new life for himself on the Internet, because that's simply not possible.

Yeah, there are probably some rich/disabled/sick people among those. But I'd be willing to bet that most fit in the list above.
    YashaX
    Respect, walk, what did you say?
    Respect, walk
    Are you talkin' to me? Are you talkin' to me?
    - PANTERA at HELLFEST 2023
    Yes, they are back !

• ConstantineMerusConstantineMerus Member EpicPosts: 3,338
    tzervo said:
    Germzypie said:

Let's not judge.  

Actually, it is not. 

So most of those many people are unemployed, or living in their parent's basement, or retired ? That's your theory ?
    There's no other explanation for being able to spend 8+ hours per day, every day, for months, in a video game.

I happens that I'm playing 8+ hours sometimes on week-ends, specially when the weather sucks, but anyone pretending he can do that and also have a 8 hours daytime job every day of the week is... inventing a new life for himself on the Internet, because that's simply not possible.

Yeah, there are probably some rich/disabled/sick people among those. But I'd be willing to bet that most fit in the list above.
    It's not that hard to have 8 hours of free time if you got a 9 to 5 job and sleep like 6 hours a night. You don't have to be disabled or anything. 
    [Deleted User]
    Constantine, The Console Poster

• "One of the most difficult tasks men can perform, however much others may despise it, is the invention of good games and it cannot be done by men out of touch with their instinctive selves." - Carl Jung
  • The_KorriganThe_Korrigan Member RarePosts: 3,459
    tzervo said:
    Germzypie said:

Let's not judge.  

Actually, it is not. 

It's not that hard to have 8 hours of free time if you got a 9 to 5 job and sleep like 6 hours a night. You don't have to be disabled or anything. 

Well, at least if they live like that, it means they won't live very long. 6 hours of sleep, and of course unhealthy food because they don't have the time to cook with that kind of schedule, and also bad hygiene... but yeah, this is going to end well, and those people are just "normal" ;)
    Respect, walk, what did you say?
    Respect, walk
    Are you talkin' to me? Are you talkin' to me?
    - PANTERA at HELLFEST 2023
    Yes, they are back !

• Asm0deusAsm0deus Member EpicPosts: 4,404
    Lots of those being counted are bots......

Brenics ~ Just to point out I do believe Chris Roberts is going down as the man who cheated backers and took down crowdfunding for gaming.

• YashaXYashaX Member EpicPosts: 3,098

Get up at 6am to prepare and commute, get home at 7pm, have dinner, cleanup and shower its now 8 or 9pm. Schedule in eight hours sleep (not everyone can function on 6 hours every night) and that leaves a couple of hours game time a day at most on week days.
    [Deleted User]
  • YashaXYashaX Member EpicPosts: 3,098
    Torval said:
    YashaX said:

Get up at 6am to prepare and commute, get home at 7pm, have dinner, cleanup and shower its now 8 or 9pm. Schedule in eight hours sleep (not everyone can function on 6 hours every night) and that leaves a couple of hours game time a day at most on week days.

Wake up at 6:50 and get my daughter off to school. Work from 0800 to 1600 or 1700 depending on whether I take a lunch. Login to a game a bit after 1700 and sometimes go afk for a while to do thing. Maybe log off for a while to do stuff or play more than one game. Go to bed around 2330 to 0030 because not everyone can sleep for 8 hours every single night. The gives me 4 - 7 hours to game if I want. We all game and watch TV in the same room so we're hanging out, chatting, and eating together while doing our respective activities.

I have more than enough time in there to do a little housework, laundry, dishes, etc. It's not hard to rack up a lot of time in a game per week. I have no judgement about someone doing that. I do judge them for making karma whoring statements like "I played 800 hours in a game and regret it" because it's popular to trash on the game of the month.

Ya nerd.
    [Deleted User]
  • FunkyMunky42FunkyMunky42 Member UncommonPosts: 18

Scorchien said:

Torval said:

Those numbers are based on sales. Yet there are still people saying stupid things.

Despite attrition, New World has a higher daily concurrency than most MMOs and many MMOs combined. Both CS:GO and Dota2 have around half of their original peak, and most games even those on the top 20 have lost 75% or more of their original peaks.

New World easily outpaces the concurrency of other popular progression based pvp games like EVE (which averages about 33K at its peak hours). It is consistently in the SteamCharts top 5 which no other MMO seems able to accomplish. FF14 sometimes makes it into the top 10. This is also the only MMO, except EVE, where you can get hard concurrency numbers because all of them including WoW, FF14, and ESO hide them.

I'm looking forward to seeing the results for Steam's Player Choice awards.

FF14 is on PS4 and PS 5 as well as PC , and there are many PC players that do not go thru Steam , you cannot use Steam to measure FF14 .. As well it is not a good comparison as it does not draw the same demographic as NW is targeting , a closer comparison would be GW2 which  is matching or beating NW daily concurrency , which should it be for a 9 year old game? ..

i agree. While Steam is a great source for games that are release primarily on Steam, it is a poor reflection of games that traditionally do not release on Steam. MMO's are a category that fits this.

I was just looking at numbers for SWtOR, and MMO that many people feel is dead. Steam lists active players at around 10k average. But on the sites that track total statistics for MMO's, it's consistent playerbase is around 120k per day. BIG difference. I would bet that most older or traditional MMO's also have very similar discrepancies on Steam.

New world was a bust, A dumpsterfire of issues and bugs that at it's core had a great idea, and released in a veritable desert in the current MMO climate. There are enough Hungry MMO players out there with nothing to play that they will jump at ANYTHING that doesn't look like an anime rehash of Blade and soul. It's current numbers are laughable when compared to games like FFXIV, or even the now stale WoW. isolating Steam numbers is almost purposefully Skewing the truth. I don't want to specifically hate on the game, but if were going to isolate numbers to make things like something they aren't, then pushback should be expected.
    Scorchien
  • RungarRungar Member RarePosts: 1,132
    I prefer to look at new world not as a success or failure, but the best Amazon Games, and its endless resources, could come up with. :)
    Asm0deus
    .05 of a second to midnight
    Torval said:
    tzervo said:
    Scorchien said:
    tzervo said:
    Torval said:
    New World after attrition has more players than games like UO ever had. It is consistently in the SteamCharts top 5 - 10. Right now it has 74K players in game. That's ~2.5 times as the peak EVE hits.

In all these years UO (one of their favorites) has never been on any awards list and never sat over 100K player concurrency. It was broadly panned as a steaming turd (and rightfully so) when it released because it was really that bad. It is unique, but also a horrible Ultima game. I'm sure the 30 people still playing it love it though.
    When comparing absolute numbers between games you also need to take into account the size of those studios and their respective running costs (esp. for further development), and the age of the games (for your EVE comparison, unless by peak you mean all-time peak, in which case the all-time peak for EVE's two servers was around 60k CCU). New World was an undeniable box sales success, numbers and OP steam rank prove so, but time will show if the 100k CCU are something that AGS considers a success in the long term. 100k CCU could be a stellar number for CCP but not for AGS, even though it is a fine concurrency number by itself.
    The stance these guys take is about as shallow , weak, and lacking substance as poorly as the game they defend in New World .  When you need to compare your game and flex against games like UO  and Eve that were released 25 years ago when the MMO market was 10x smaller and both UO and Eve are niche games , they have already lost any credibility and sane discussion ..

When there are posting disingenuous numbers about games like FF14 and ESO and claiming NW has better concurrency and only considering Steam when the other 2 are...

1. Available on multiple consoles..
    2.MANY  FF14 and ESO players also do not play thru Steam ..

They have already again lost credibility..

Comparing NW pop from a AAA dev with a huge budget to indie devs 25 years ago working with next to no budget in a market 10x smaller is quite evidently a very weak cry for help. 

GW2 for a 9 year old B2P RvR game is beating NW in concurrency daily,  that should be a concern .. 
    I am taking a modest approach in this case compared to both your and Torval's opinion, being the annoying prick saying to both "yes but..."  :p

1) I do agree that comparing NW to EVE/UO is unfair due to the difference in the games' studio size and age (and you raise a good point regarding the exposure of the genre at different times as well, something I did not think about).

2) I think all the doom and gloom is unfair too. It is a game with a decent CCU (100k is by no means shabby), it is just a matter of time to see whether that will be profitable enough for AGS to keep the game running, compared to its running and development costs.

3) Their box sales were awesome (thumbs up). The 90% drop in CCU is a flag (thumbs down). No question about those.

4) Finally I would urge caution w.r.t. how activeplayer.io calculates the GW2 population as well:

How We Collect Data - The Game Statistics Authority (activeplayer.io)

The same comment I made about mmo-population goes here too, only mmo-population are upfront with being inaccurate. Also, the GW2 RvR community is much smaller than the OW PVE community in that game.

Anyway, those are my 2cents.

Just so you know I wasn't the one who originally introduced UO or EVE into the argument discussion. The people who are salty did, talking big about how much better they are. So they really became fair game in the discussions.

By the way, Lineage 1 is as old as UO and it doesn't need anyone to make excuses for it. It's more popular now than it was then. That's because it's a damn good PvP MMO and has more players than EVE and UO combined at their peak. So, like aged games compared those two still aren't very popular outside their small niches.

New World doesn't hold a candle to the player count and revenue generated by Lineage 1 and its mobile counterpart either. You can verify Lin1 player numbers on legit Korean sites because they have to publish them and can't hide behind shenanigans like western MMOs do. Lineage 1 and 2 are the financial backbone of NCSoft.

Just to clear things up for this community

YOU ... Introduced Eve into this discussion at page 1 post 5

YOU...  Introduced UO first into this discussion on page 2 post 17 along with Eve a 2nd time..

YOU.. need to stop backwalking and moving goalposts to suit your narrative ..

Anyone is welcome to read back thru the discussion and check ..

Never let Facts get in the way of your perceived Truth
    [Deleted User]
    edited January 2022
    Torval said:
    You introduced UO in New World discussions many threads ago. EVE was also introduced and compared. I'm not backwalking anything. Go look up the threads where you started smack talking about UO and went on and on about it. Anyone is welcome to read through your very salty bitter history of tirades about this game through various threads where you mock and harass people for liking something you don't with your Helen Keller comments. I don't get why you even come into these threads except to engage in conflict and lash out at other members.

I do not need to look up anything , I never compared UO concurrency to any game ever , im smarter than that ....

Only a fool would do that .. oh wait you did that didnt you..

Anyone is welcome to look at any thread .. Matter a fact i did that for some of you a bit back and proved the Glee Club wrong and lying in that thread also ..

.. Now im certain that i said UO has better systems in place .. if you would like to discuss that we can .. I dont feel you want to do that ..

I come in to correct the BS narrative that is painted over and over .. Like NW has better concurrency than games like FF14 .. Another false narrative being painted and lies poured on this community ..

you said
    "
    It is consistently in the SteamCharts top 5 which no other MMO seems able to accomplish. FF14 sometimes makes it into the top 10. This is also the only MMO, except EVE, where you can get hard concurrency numbers because all of them including WoW, FF14, and ESO hide them."

A completely disingenuous, deceiving  statement to push a false narrative

I would expect anyone to know better that FF14 is avavilble on several console and that most PC players do not play thru Steam at all .

So either you dont know and should not be making thecomparison ..

Or you do know and are intentionally omitting very important data to further a false narrative ..

You can choose

U R Dismised