Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Grand Theft Auto V Was This Year's Top Viewed Game On Twitch | MMORPG.com

SystemSystem Member UncommonPosts: 12,599
edited December 2021 in News & Features Discussion

imageGrand Theft Auto V Was This Year's Top Viewed Game On Twitch | MMORPG.com

In a round up of data by Stream Elements, this year's top viewed game on Twitch goes to Grand Theft Auto V, with around 2.1 billion (yea, with a B) hours watched. Meanwhile, in the MMORPG space, New World saw itself claw into the top 20 as the top new IP this year.

Read the full story here

Comments

• klash2defklash2def Member EpicPosts: 1,949
    of course it was but thanks to Roleplayers.
    ScotItsThatGuy[Deleted User]TwistedSister77grimalkitarad
    "Beliefs don't change facts. Facts, if you're reasonable, should change your beliefs."

"The Society that separates its scholars from its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards and its fighting by fools."

Currently: Games Audio Engineer, you didn't hear what I heard, you heard what I wanted you to hear. 

• ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,986

klash2def said:

Really? I had heard that some RPing was being done on GTA but is it that much?
  • vegetableoilvegetableoil Member RarePosts: 768

Scot said:

klash2def said:

It's because more people stream GTA, that people watch GTA so that more twitch stream GTA, it's some what snowballing. it will probably stay that way, I mean Red dead is better, but still people stream GTA.
  • jnugget173jnugget173 Member UncommonPosts: 23
    lots are loving watching nopixel myself included, tbh rather watch that than tv
    Kyleran
  • toljartoljar Member UncommonPosts: 228
    Yup, it is all npixel carrying this. If some of you have not watched people like Pred, Vader, Ramee or even Koil, then I would suggest you hop in some day and give it an hour. The RP community on NP is crazy good, like mentioned above it is better than TV.
    Scotjnugget173klash2defUtinni[Deleted User]

Gaming community: IRONFIST
    New World: Lilith - US East
    WoW Guild: IRONFIST <Burning Legion> Alliance(We transferred to Illidan)
    WoW Guild: IRONFIST <Illidan> Horde
    SWOTR: IRONFIST <Satele Shan> Empire/Republic

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,507
    edited December 2021
    Young folks are just weird....

;)
    ScorchienCheecher2ConstantineMerus

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• klash2defklash2def Member EpicPosts: 1,949
    edited December 2021
    Scot said:

klash2def said:

Yes. Almost every channel on twitch that is GTA-centric is about RP, it's really blown up in the last two years. It's actually quite entertaining.
    Scot
    "Beliefs don't change facts. Facts, if you're reasonable, should change your beliefs."

"The Society that separates its scholars from its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards and its fighting by fools."

Currently: Games Audio Engineer, you didn't hear what I heard, you heard what I wanted you to hear. 

• UtinniUtinni Member EpicPosts: 2,209
    Kyleran said:
    Young folks are just weird....

;)

Old people watch season 45 of the voice and bachelorette.
    klash2def[Deleted User]ConstantineMerus
  • GoldenTuataraGoldenTuatara Member UncommonPosts: 15
    People aren't watching it for the game itself. That's just a vehicle for everyones fav streamers to piss around and have fun.
  • BabuinixBabuinix Member EpicPosts: 4,265
    Oh noes an article about Twitch Stats like it means anything, you've done it now Bradford! :D
  • Panther2103Panther2103 Member EpicPosts: 5,768
    It was super interesting to see the blow up of GTA Roleplay this year on Twitch, streamers you would never expect to see Roleplaying were actually trying and in character (most of the time) and it was quite fun to watch some of the stories play out. 
  • VrikaVrika Member LegendaryPosts: 7,888
    Babuinix said:
    Oh noes an article about Twitch Stats like it means anything, you've done it now Bradford! :D
    It means an 8 year old game by Rockstar currently has 70 times more "player engagement" (was that the term you used) than Star Citizen.
    Babuinixklash2def

• TwistedSister77TwistedSister77 Member EpicPosts: 1,144
    edited December 2021
    Scot said:

klash2def said:

Are you being sarcastic?  Many of the top streamers, including the #1 Twitch streamer... does GTA No Pixel server(whitelist).  Sometimes abbreviated NP WL.

The roleplay is awesome... voice, acting, plots.  Criminals, cop's, civilians, government officials, business tycoons...

The devs own the server and make constant updates to it, with their own assets.

Kyle is my favorite cop streamer... Whippy is an awesome Australian streamer that has a character that leads a biker gang, but he also has a character that plays cop..

There is a website of all active streamers online and viewers... and basically what type of character they are playing at the time.

https://nopixel.hasroot.com/

This is a MATURE server... no character pixel sex allowed... but pretty much anything goes that doesn't violate TOS (so some streamers curse a lot).

Server also enforces strict... no meta rules (e.g. acting upon something your character doesn't organically learn in game... like if you stream snipe info...).  You get the banhammer.

I find the content to be more entertaining than 99% of the stuff on TV.
    Scot
    Scot said:

klash2def said:

Are you being sarcastic?  Many of the top streamers, including the #1 Twitch streamer... does GTA No Pixel server(whitelist).  Sometimes abbreviated NP WL.

The roleplay is awesome... voice, acting, plots.  Criminals, cop's, civilians, government officials, business tycoons...

Kyle is my favorite cop streamer... Whippy is an awesome Australian streamer that has a character that leads a biker gang, but he also has a character that plays cop..

There is a website of all active streamers online and viewers... and basically what type of character they are playing at the time.

This is a MATURE server... no character pixel sex allowed... but pretty much anything goes that doesn't violate TOS (so some streamers curse a lot).

Server also enforces strict... no meta rules (e.g. acting upon something your character doesn't organically learn in game... like if you stream snipe info...).  You get the banhammer.

I am often sarcastic on here, but you will get a wink emoticon unless I think I am being totally obvious. I don't watch any streams what so ever. It was good to hear RP is alive and kicking on GTA.
  • BabuinixBabuinix Member EpicPosts: 4,265
    Vrika said:
    Babuinix said:
    It means an 8 year old game by Rockstar currently has 70 times more "player engagement" (was that the term you used) than Star Citizen.
    Was waiting for that one,

:D
    edited January 2022
    Scot said:
    Scot said:

klash2def said:

I am often sarcastic on here, but you will get a wink emoticon unless I think I am being totally obvious. I don't watch any streams what so ever. It was good to hear RP is alive and kicking on GTA.
    Thanks... watching is free, you'll be impressed.  Some of the big streamers turn down cartoons and voiceovers for tv/commercials... because they make way too much $$ in GTA Nopixel.  

GTA is bringing "roleplay" to a whole new generation of gamers.

It's all voiced, and the characters mouths move when you speak... including mannerisms (which you can control... very advanced emotes).  

Mechanically, the sandbox is awesome... so much is customized and unique... and deep systems.  (Again I'm talking NoPixel version... not a generic server).
    edited January 2022
    Scot said:
    Scot said:

klash2def said:

Thanks... watching is free, you'll be impressed.  Some of the big streamers turn down cartoons and voiceovers for tv/commercials... because they make way too much $$ in GTA Nopixel.  

It's all voiced, and the characters mouths move when you speak... including mannerisms (which you can control... very advanced emotes).  

Mechanically, the sandbox is awesome... so much is customized and unique... and deep systems.  (Again I'm talking NoPixel version... not a generic server).
    I had a look at the page, saw some character write ups. Is the RP 'improvised' or 'acted', bearing in mind how loosely those terms can be applied? What steps are taken to ensure people interact if any or is it all random meetups? Do they use GM's, metaplot or the like? Are they private servers, I used to play on one years ago I think it was GtA 3 that was great fun.
    edited January 2022
    Scot said:
    Scot said:
    Scot said:

klash2def said:

I had a look at the page, saw some character write ups. Is the RP 'improvised' or 'acted', bearing in mind how loosely those terms can be applied? What steps are taken to ensure people interact if any or is it all random meetups? Do they use GM's, metaplot or the like? Are they private servers, I used to play on one years ago I think it was GtA 3 that was great fun.
    OK, for brevity...

Just watch some streams... you'll understand fast.  

GTA has a ton of servers (not necessarily hosted by them)

GTA NoPixel Whitelist (NP WL)... is essentially a separate company (literally, some non-GTA devs made it).  NOT a rogue server... full permissions, but nobody is employed by the main company.  

This server has it's own assets & dev team. They build unique structures, items, and set all parameters on literally everything...(e g. change how specific cars work, weapons, etc)

But to your bigger question... yes, BIG time enforcement of RP by mods.  A lot of streamers have "no meta" statements and icons... because they can (and many have) been banned... just by acting on comments by their user comments. 

Just watch a few streams for a little bit... you'll understand.  

Edit:  there are no prearranged plots(ban-able offense).  Roleplay  just happens. 
    kitaradScot
  • ConstantineMerusConstantineMerus Member EpicPosts: 3,338
    I had played the single player years ago. But recently I decided to get the platinum trophy and for that you need to play a lot of multiplayer. I must say, it was a very pleasant experience and there is so much to do in this game. I have made quite the criminal enterprise.
    Scot
    Constantine, The Console Poster

• "One of the most difficult tasks men can perform, however much others may despise it, is the invention of good games and it cannot be done by men out of touch with their instinctive selves." - Carl Jung