Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

New World Makes It Onto Steam's Best Of 2021 Lists Alongside Valheim, Naraka and More | MMORPG.com

SystemSystem Member UncommonPosts: 12,599
edited December 2021 in News & Features Discussion

imageNew World Makes It Onto Steam's Best Of 2021 Lists Alongside Valheim, Naraka and More | MMORPG.com

New World, despite its struggles, has made Steam's Best of 2021 list, thanks in large part to its incredible showing at launch back in September. The Amazon Game Studios title has made the top 10 of both the Top Selling games and Top New Releases of 2021 on Steam.

Read the full story here

Comments

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • AvanahAvanah Member RarePosts: 1,615
    Someone bribed Steam to list them. :)
    [Deleted User]AkulasScorchien

"My Fantasy is having two men at once...

One Cooking and One Cleaning!"

---------------------------

"A good man can make you feel sexy,

strong and able to take on the whole world...

oh sorry...that's wine...wine does that..."

• Pher0ciousPher0cious Member RarePosts: 489
    The standards are low these days.....
    [Deleted User]GatsuZerkItsThatGuyalin1209PuReDusTsakerEponyxDamorScorchien
    ('''\( ',.:.,' )/''')
  • ScorchienScorchien Member LegendaryPosts: 8,914
    edited December 2021
    Torval said:
    Those numbers are based on sales. Yet there are still people saying stupid things.

Despite attrition, New World has a higher daily concurrency than most MMOs and many MMOs combined. Both CS:GO and Dota2 have around half of their original peak, and most games even those on the top 20 have lost 75% or more of their original peaks.

New World easily outpaces the concurrency of other popular progression based pvp games like EVE (which averages about 33K at its peak hours). It is consistently in the SteamCharts top 5 which no other MMO seems able to accomplish. FF14 sometimes makes it into the top 10. This is also the only MMO, except EVE, where you can get hard concurrency numbers because all of them including WoW, FF14, and ESO hide them.

I'm looking forward to seeing the results for Steam's Player Choice awards.

FF14 is on PS4 and PS 5 as well as PC , and there are many PC players that do not go thru Steam , you cannot use Steam to measure FF14 .. As well it is not a good comparison as it does not draw the same demographic as NW is targeting , a closer comparison would be GW2 which  is matching or beating NW daily concurrency , which should it be for a 9 year old game? ..

Post edited by Scorchien on
    RungarRemaliangerbeaverScotEponyxDamorrojoArcueid
  • TokkenTokken Member EpicPosts: 3,551
    It's all about how many copies were sold and the BIG Bucks. $$$
    saker

Proud MMORPG.com member since March 2004!  Make PvE GREAT Again!

• NeoyoshiNeoyoshi Member RarePosts: 1,139
    edited December 2021
    Basing popularity of something off of Steam numbers alone is just asking to get laughed out of the room.

You have to look at the actual server & client numbers, and if Steam only tracks what's connecting to steam; you aren't getting correct numbers.

https://mmo-population.com/r/ffxiv
    image https://mmo-population.com/r/newworldgame image
    Scorchien

Fishing on Gilgamesh since 2013
  • IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    Wait... shouldn't it be like 9 concurrent players now like the MMORPG.COM nostradamuses (nostradami?) have been predicting.

100k+ peak tday and 100k+ peak in early December... weird.
    HengistYashaXKidRiskTacticalZombeh[Deleted User]The_Korrigan[Deleted User]
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• HengistHengist Member RarePosts: 1,282
    Iselin said:
    Wait... shouldn't it be like 9 concurrent players now like the MMORPG.COM nostradamuses (nostradami?) have been predicting.

The fact that there is no sub, and just buy to play was a pretty solid decision on their part. No clue how the in-game store does, but with 600 hours in myself, I'm taking a break for a week or so right now. Normally that would be reason for me to cancel the game sub for awhile, and usually come back down the road, that's how a week break turns into "see you at the next expansion" for me.

This time though, no guilt about taking time, and no worries about not logging in, and with the holiday past, and a few more wars to fight, I've got reason to log back in. 

Long term, while they add and make fixes, I think that decision will pay off for them.
    IselinTacticalZombeh[Deleted User]
  • jtckline3jtckline3 Member UncommonPosts: 60
    They"ve the word "s.h.it" at the end of best of
    saker
  • IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    Hengist said:
    Iselin said:

The fact that there is no sub, and just buy to play was a pretty solid decision on their part. No clue how the in-game store does, but with 600 hours in myself, I'm taking a break for a week or so right now. Normally that would be reason for me to cancel the game sub for awhile, and usually come back down the road, that's how a week break turns into "see you at the next expansion" for me.

This time though, no guilt about taking time, and no worries about not logging in, and with the holiday past, and a few more wars to fight, I've got reason to log back in. 

Long term, while they add and make fixes, I think that decision will pay off for them.
    Same. With the holidays and family visiting me I've barely played at all for a week. Only some guilt becasue I am in a company that owns a territory and I haven't been there... hopefully we still own it when I log back in lol.
    [Deleted User]
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,986

Scorchien said:

Torval said:

Those numbers are based on sales. Yet there are still people saying stupid things.

Despite attrition, New World has a higher daily concurrency than most MMOs and many MMOs combined. Both CS:GO and Dota2 have around half of their original peak, and most games even those on the top 20 have lost 75% or more of their original peaks.

New World easily outpaces the concurrency of other popular progression based pvp games like EVE (which averages about 33K at its peak hours). It is consistently in the SteamCharts top 5 which no other MMO seems able to accomplish. FF14 sometimes makes it into the top 10. This is also the only MMO, except EVE, where you can get hard concurrency numbers because all of them including WoW, FF14, and ESO hide them.

I'm looking forward to seeing the results for Steam's Player Choice awards.

FF14 is on PS4 and PS 5 as well as PC , and there are many PC players that do not go thru Steam , you cannot use Steam to measure FF14 .. As well it is not a good comparison as it does not draw the same demographic as NW is targeting , a closer comparison would be GW2 which  is matching or beating NW daily concurrency , which should it be for a 9 year old game? ..

That's a fair point but I think Torval's overall premise stands, it is the fifth most played game on Steam. Considering how recently it was released though there is a big question as to whether that position can be retained.
    [Deleted User][Deleted User]Asariasha[Deleted User][Deleted User]
  • RungarRungar Member RarePosts: 1,132
    Iselin said:

https://forums.mmorpg.com/discussion/comment/7699757#Comment_7699757

nailed it!
    [Deleted User]
    .05 of a second to midnight
  • MensurMensur Member EpicPosts: 1,515
    What on earth is MIR4 doing on that list? I mean I get ti Legend of MIr 2 and 3 are one of my top mmos - also one of the first ones i played - but mir4 a shitshow of a mobile game on the list. makes ZERO sense.

mmorpg junkie since 1999

• sakersaker Member RarePosts: 1,458
    Only criteria in necrotic-stage-capitalism is $$$
  • GermzypieGermzypie Member UncommonPosts: 100
    Over 800 hours played. The game is visually amazing. Leveling was ok. Hit 60, concentrated on crafting and then i started hearing folks talking about "watermark system"....now called expertise which is just watermark 2.0. Everything in this game is a time-sink.....designed to have players do the same content over and over and over and over again due to lack of said content. For example, 2 players in same group in an expediton, player A has 800 hours played and is not very good, but has high watermark. Player B has 200 hours played and is exceptionally good. Player A, due to time played, gets some nice gear. Player B gets crap because his watermark low. Garbage loot system. Don't expect to possibly get anything good for at least 2 months after hitting max level.

PvP...I played melee and i could not deal with the desync and constant rubberbanding. PVP in this game is very sub-par and lackluster.

Was it worth the $40? Yes. I got my money worth. Now it is shelved with zero plans on returning. Do not let the # of copies sold fool you (once they release them). With no subscriptions, this game has very little revenue being generated. After the first 2 months, the only new players i ever seen were bots (with the strange names). In-game-store is garbage.

Bots. Where do i begin. New World is a bot paradise because they do nothing to control them. Reported the same 8 bots for 3 days straight then gave up. A month later, shortly before i quit, they were still roaming the same area farming all the nodes.

Twitch needs to look at how these games make the list. New World does not meet any metrics for "game of the year" except for # of copies sold because they lied about just about everything.
    ItsThatGuy[Deleted User]IselinBrainy[Deleted User]YashaX
  • AsariashaAsariasha Member UncommonPosts: 252
    First and foremost, I must admit that I am amused when folks here declare that they have surpassed 800 hours playing time, yet, only have negative things to say. With a lifespan of 90 days, 800 hours of playing time equates to more than 8 1/2 hours every single day. Spending so much time in such an focused manner undermines any type of fun that one might find in a game.

And whomever is arguing about grind content has most likely not played MMOs for a long time. I recall the arduous endeavors of achieving level 50 in early Dark Age of Camelot, reaching maximum faction reputations in World of Warcraft, farming ISK in EVE Online for your next fancy ship, gathering weapon parts in Lineage 2 just to see the parts disappear in a failed crafting attempt, or the endless number of dungeon runs necessary to obtain a legendary weapon in early Aion. Seriously, would you like some cheese to the whine?

New World is made for a specific target group. A user group that enjoys PVP and long-term goals as they are. PVP is fun in this game and allows for fantastic moments like bombing zergs ( ). The game attracts over 100.000 CCU. That's a huge number of players that loves gathering resources, crafting stuff, doing dungeon runs, loot runs, or socializing with other players.
    Iselin[Deleted User]
  • TwistedSister77TwistedSister77 Member EpicPosts: 1,144
    Asariasha said:
    First and foremost, I must admit that I am amused when folks here declare that they have surpassed 800 hours playing time, yet, only have negative things to say. With a lifespan of 90 days, 800 hours of playing time equates to more than 8 1/2 hours every single day. Spending so much time in such an focused manner undermines any type of fun that one might find in a game.

And whomever is arguing about grind content has most likely not played MMOs for a long time. I recall the arduous endeavors of achieving level 50 in early Dark Age of Camelot, reaching maximum faction reputations in World of Warcraft, farming ISK in EVE Online for your next fancy ship, gathering weapon parts in Lineage 2 just to see the parts disappear in a failed crafting attempt, or the endless number of dungeon runs necessary to obtain a legendary weapon in early Aion. Seriously, would you like some cheese to the whine?

New World is made for a specific target group. A user group that enjoys PVP and long-term goals as they are. PVP is fun in this game and allows for fantastic moments like bombing zergs ( ). The game attracts over 100.000 CCU. That's a huge number of players that loves gathering resources, crafting stuff, doing dungeon runs, loot runs, or socializing with other players.
    Dude, PvP is sheiit in this game... ask me for 3 better active MMORPG'S with PvP... 

<3 PvP... 
  • The_KorriganThe_Korrigan Member RarePosts: 3,459
    kitaradYashaX
    Respect, walk, what did you say?
    Respect, walk
    Are you talkin' to me? Are you talkin' to me?
    - PANTERA at HELLFEST 2023
    Yes, they are back !

tzervo said:
    Germzypie said:
    Over 800 hours played. The game is visually amazing. Leveling was ok. Hit 60, concentrated on crafting and then i started hearing folks talking about "watermark system"....now called expertise which is just watermark 2.0. Everything in this game is a time-sink.....designed to have players do the same content over and over and over and over again due to lack of said content. For example, 2 players in same group in an expediton, player A has 800 hours played and is not very good, but has high watermark. Player B has 200 hours played and is exceptionally good. Player A, due to time played, gets some nice gear. Player B gets crap because his watermark low. Garbage loot system. Don't expect to possibly get anything good for at least 2 months after hitting max level.

PvP...I played melee and i could not deal with the desync and constant rubberbanding. PVP in this game is very sub-par and lackluster.

Was it worth the $40? Yes. I got my money worth. Now it is shelved with zero plans on returning. Do not let the # of copies sold fool you (once they release them). With no subscriptions, this game has very little revenue being generated. After the first 2 months, the only new players i ever seen were bots (with the strange names). In-game-store is garbage.

Bots. Where do i begin. New World is a bot paradise because they do nothing to control them. Reported the same 8 bots for 3 days straight then gave up. A month later, shortly before i quit, they were still roaming the same area farming all the nodes.

Twitch needs to look at how these games make the list. New World does not meet any metrics for "game of the year" except for # of copies sold because they lied about just about everything.
    Tldr: "Game is shit. Trust me, I played 800 to find out it is shit, that's why I know."

For the record, the 800 hours work more against your conclusion than they do to support the fact that you know what you are talking about. What I hear is: "there are problems like with every other game but it is fun enough to spend 800 hours in".
    I don't know if the poster is for real on the 800hrs ( which is very doable... for some people).

But I would remind the MMORPG community...

HOW MANY HOURS DID YOU DO SHIET GRIND FOR GAMES?  THIS WAS NOT QUALITY/ENTERTAINMENT TIME!
    [Deleted User]
  • ScorchienScorchien Member LegendaryPosts: 8,914
    edited January 2022

Just more disingenuous Bullshit from the White Knight..

ESO is also available and has large Pop on Xbox One and PS4..  You conveinently forgot to include that ..

Also ESO is a sub based PVE game .. not B2P RvR ,so again comparing them is also foolish at best ..

The best comparison is of GW2 which is another B2P 3 faction RvR game ..

which for a 9year old game is beating NW daily ..

Have a nice Day Jean Luc Picard

ItsThatGuy
    tzervo said:
    Germzypie said:

Tldr: "Game is shit but worth the $40 but I regret it. Trust me, I played 800 to find out it is shit, that's how I know."

For the record, the 800 hours work more against your conclusion than they do to support the fact that you know what you are talking about. What I hear is: "there are problems like with every other game but it is fun enough to spend 800 hours in".

There are people on the forums with over 1000 hours played... I've calculated, that's on average over 8 hours a day every day since release.
    Some people don't need a video game, they need a therapist.
    YashaX
    Respect, walk
    Yes, they are back !

tzervo said:
    Germzypie said:

Tldr: "Game is shit but worth the $40 but I regret it. Trust me, I played 800 to find out it is shit, that's how I know."

There are people on the forums with over 1000 hours played... I've calculated, that's on average over 8 hours a day every day since release.
    You know streamers play 8-16 hours a day for a job.  

Picking up people's smelly trash for 8 hours a day.... good honest work... or therapist needed?

Let's not judge.  
    ItsThatGuy
  • RungarRungar Member RarePosts: 1,132
    tzervo said:
    Germzypie said:

or a better world. 
    .05 of a second to midnight
  • shetlandslarsenshetlandslarsen Member UncommonPosts: 203
    Well its btp so if I get more then 4 hrs entertainment its a win. Mind you they sold quite enough copies to make a quick buck. I am more interested in where the game is a year from now though. Can they fix bugs\bots\dupes?

Have a friend that plays and enjoys himself so ill join in eventually¨
    But I am not in a hurry.
    [Deleted User]
    I am a scizo misanthrope. So one day I may go BANZAI on your post.
    Have not yet though. Maybe there is hope?
    Nah there is really none for me or the human race. 
    tzervo said:
    Germzypie said:

You know streamers play 8-16 hours a day for a job.  

Picking up people's smelly trash for 8 hours a day.... good honest work... or therapist needed?

Let's not judge.  

I stand with my opinion. Playing the SAME video game, day after day, for 3+ months, for over 8 hours a day, is not sane. It's an obsession.
    Respect, walk
    Yes, they are back !