Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

City of Titans Gets a Combat Preview and Teases What's Coming in 2022 | MMORPG.com

SystemSystem Member UncommonPosts: 12,599
edited December 2021 in News & Features Discussion

image City of Titans Gets a Combat Preview and Teases What's Coming in 2022 | MMORPG.com

As City of Titans gets further into development, the team offered a year end preview of the new combat system and plans for 2022.

Read the full story here

Comments

• OldManBiggsOldManBiggs Member UncommonPosts: 1
    well that just looks terrible...
    TokkenDekahnLucixRinswind89NildenValdheim
  • ConstantineMerusConstantineMerus Member EpicPosts: 3,338
    I didn't know we could do previews to fucking scare off people. 
    DekahnRinswind89Fedaygin
    Constantine, The Console Poster

• "One of the most difficult tasks men can perform, however much others may despise it, is the invention of good games and it cannot be done by men out of touch with their instinctive selves." - Carl Jung
  • sirwutsirwut Member UncommonPosts: 25
    slap fight sound effects hahaha.
    Rinswind89strawhat0981Fedaygin[Deleted User]
  • ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,955
    I don't think it is that bad, what were people expecting? But do they have a long way to go, sure they do,
    Rinswind89SovrathFedaygin
  • SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,002

Scot said:

I don't think it is that bad, what were people expecting? But do they have a long way to go, sure they do,

I think people aren't understanding that this will be a low budget indy game.

TokkenScotFedaygin
    Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • chrisnyc48chrisnyc48 Member UncommonPosts: 25

Sovrath said:

Scot said:

You do understand that modders can and have done a better with less resources than what we have seen in this preview?

Whatever the case may be, this game still needs much, much more work. This preview is somewhat embarrasing in my opinion and shouldn't have been released at all. Still, I'm routing for them nontheless. This genre is painfully underserved when you consider how popular superheroes are today.
    NildenValdheimFedaygin
  • ConstantineMerusConstantineMerus Member EpicPosts: 3,338
    Sovrath said:

Scot said:

Well sometimes it is about the decisions and the choices. You know how I am an indie fan and the defender of all things early-access and crowd-funding. 
    Constantine, The Console Poster

• "One of the most difficult tasks men can perform, however much others may despise it, is the invention of good games and it cannot be done by men out of touch with their instinctive selves." - Carl Jung
  • QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,350

Sovrath said:

Scot said:

You do understand that modders can and have done a better with less resources than what we have seen in this preview?

Whatever the case may be, this game still needs much, much more work. This preview is somewhat embarrasing in my opinion and shouldn't have been released at all. Still, I'm routing for them nontheless. This genre is painfully underserved when you consider how popular superheroes are today.
    I don't know what state City of Titans is in.  It's plausible that they've done a lot of work under the hood to set things up that it isn't really practical to show yet.  That sort of work is essential in order to create the game that you want to make, but you can't really show it off in isolation.  Modders may be able to change the functionality of an existing game a little, but can't make it do arbitrary things as they would need to in order to make the game that they actually want to make.

It's also possible that they're just bad at making combat work well.  But let's not be too harsh on an early demo.
  • chrisnyc48chrisnyc48 Member UncommonPosts: 25
    Are you serious?

Modders have been able to achieve FAR MORE than just changing the functionality of a game a little! In fact, that had that covered 10 years ago!

The Bethesda games in particular are an example of what can be done through modding. There's even an Indy game on Steam that was created by THREE STUDENTS that is head and shoulders above this preview. It's a superhero simulator that gives you the powers of a Superman-like individual, minus the heat and cold powers. It's called "Undefeated".

That 3 students alone could create that simulator compared to a team with a larger budget speaks to the point I'm trying to make. The combat system needs a vast amount of improvement if they want anyone to play.

Simple honesty.
    NildenValdheim
  • NildenNilden Member EpicPosts: 3,916
    Quizzical said:

Sovrath said:

Scot said:

I don't know what state City of Titans is in.  It's plausible that they've done a lot of work under the hood to set things up that it isn't really practical to show yet.  That sort of work is essential in order to create the game that you want to make, but you can't really show it off in isolation.  Modders may be able to change the functionality of an existing game a little, but can't make it do arbitrary things as they would need to in order to make the game that they actually want to make.

It's also possible that they're just bad at making combat work well.  But let's not be too harsh on an early demo.
    The kickstarter was in 2013. Calling this an early demo after 8 years really says it all.
    Valdheim

"You CAN'T buy ships for RL money." - MaxBacon

"classification of games into MMOs is not by rational reasoning" - nariusseldon

Love Minecraft. And check out my Youtube channel OhCanadaGamer

Try a MUD today at http://www.mudconnect.com/ 

• ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,955
    Sovrath said:
    Scot said:

That statement about modders could be made for every crowd funded MMO out there. I am in two minds about the release, players are so critical of everything but I still this is better than showing nothing. The launch could still be three or four years away but good luck to them.
  • JyiigaJyiiga Member UncommonPosts: 1,187
    I don't believe this game will ever make it out of development. If it does, it will be about as well received as Crowfall has been. Just go play the COH private server. It is doing very well.
  • kitaradkitarad Member LegendaryPosts: 7,910
    Sovrath said:

Scot said:

I think this is an extremely good point. While we may scoff at this attempt and talk about people who make things with even less resources, they are not on this team. I wish them the best of luck and look forward to what they are able to improve on.
    [Deleted User]

• Jaguaratron1Jaguaratron1 Member UncommonPosts: 298
    I wish them luck but that just looks awful.

Now the source code for City of Heroes is in the wild it doesnt even fill a niche.