Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Telling Us Your MMO History

2»

Comments

• trikerytrikery Member UncommonPosts: 15
    Hmmm

Just going to go with games where I maxed out characters.

UO in 97 till about 01.  2 7x GMs

DAoC on release for about 3 years, 50 Infiltrator

Shadowbane on release for about a year.  Ran up a max level Templar, first one to hit on that server, whichever server Warrior Nation rolled.

Guild Wars 2 - 80 Thief, played release for a few years off and on.

WoW maxed a Priest on release, only played about a year though. 

Age of Conan played 2 years maxed out PoM.

Been currently playing New World.  Maxed a character there, but it's gone downhill obviously.

Ultimately still looking for something to live up to old school UO........... 
    UngoodAlBQuirky
  • UngoodUngood Member LegendaryPosts: 7,532
    Scot said:
    Ungood said:
    laserit said:
    olepi said:
    Games that I have high level characters in: DAOC, CoH, Ryzom, Vanguard, PoTBS, ESO, LoTRO.

Games that I'm still playing some: DDO, SWTOR, New World.

Games I tried and just didn't click: FFXIV, BDO, Neverwinter, EVE.
    I love the world design in BDO. It could be a killer game in the west under the right management imho.

I sometimes wonder why developers don’t seem to use the art assets of failed games, or maybe they do and I just don’t know about it.

edit: like Conan Exiles 

I love almost everything about the game but for the love of the gods, can they get someone competent to work on combat and scripting.

The day they released that island thing is the day Exiles lost me for good.
    I joke with my static, that if a game had the Open world of GW2, Combat interaction of BDO, Dungeons and Character Building of DDO, Destructible Worlds and Home Instance of Trove, and the Graphics of GW2 or Crowfall (Beta), I'd be in heaven.

GW2, no lie, with their Open World, Dynamic Events, Level Scaling, World Bosses, explorer areas, and just so much teeming activity in their zones, put world exploration to the next level for me. 

BDO's dynamic combat, with being able to build combos with direction and attack style, was just next level.

Trove, with their Voxel Destructable Worlds, and being able to have a "Home" and Club World, were just amazing, I got so lost into doing just that in Trove, because it was deep, and yet simple. Being able to buy or find patterns, block styles, trophies, all kinds of cool things, farming, fishing, just, totally enthralling, as far as a game goes. On top of that, being able to have your Cornerstone (Small House), and if you want, your own home instance that you can build up as you like, was just so next level in gaming.

DDO's Dungeons and Character building, Hands down, best ever to exist to date. Being able to mix classes, with no limit on armor/weapons/race/class, combos, just.. absolute bar non, most complex and amazing system to exist. Their dungeons blow everything else out of the water.

Mounts: GW2 and Trove, run neck and neck on this, as both had very custom mounts, with GW2 having platforming mounts, with special and unique abilities, and Trove having mounts that can serve purposes, like Dragons that can Glide, Bull Dozers for land clearing, ships to ride on the water and be able to fire cannon balls on things, to rail riders that allowed you just glide down rails.. the mounts in Trove where their own massive game of collections.

Crafting: Not sure, I liked the crafting in GW2, because you could do that from the start, but at the same time, it became this thing where if you pretty much needed to learn crafting if you wanted a legendary weapon, Trove, you did not need to craft at all, but, it was so dynamic and involved that people would make real money selling their crafting/world building skills to guilds, to make them their own custom ideal club worlds.

There are other games some people gush about how great the crafting was, like SWG, but I didn't play those games.
    Here is where comparing notes makes you remember things you had forgotten or just did not get round to putting in. I meant to mention that BDO's action combat was better than TERA, indeed the best I have known in a MMORPG. But it is still action without enough interactivity for my liking, sort that out and even tab target fans may accept action combat.

I had forgotten about how good the DDO dungeons were, traps all sorts. The character building may have been too complex though, I put that in the category of "elements in MMOs I like but I just don't think modern players would tolerate today". If we are thinking of what we could bring to a new AAA MMORPG that would work that's sadly not one of them.
    Solid point about TERA vs BDO, but for me, and maybe this is just me, TERA's melee had way too much jumping around for my liking, it was, not sure how to explain this, but it felt like adding too many speed lines to a comic to give it the illusion of intensity, when it would have been better off with more foundation on the combat itself.

BDO, thrilled me, because of the Combo's, where I could press Left and Attack, and as opposed to taking a step left, and attacking, I would do a quick slide and then overhead swipe.

Now, again, this may be more into my playstyle, as I often play Melee and really did not get into Casters in either BDO or TERA, so I don't have anything solid to base those two on in that regard.

Ideally, I would use DDO's combat of Action/Tab, for casters/ranged, where you can tab target, but you need to face that target to hit it, and as far as ray spells or ranged weapons, the mobs can side-step/move out of the way, of the projectile or ray.

yah, DDO, with puzzles, hidden doors, traps, mobs that hide on you, ambushes, and story, are, as far as my sampling goes, the best there ever was. Neverwinter, another Dungeon Hub game was a rival, but that was mainly due to the interaction physics, where I could push barrels and mobs, as opposed to them being fixed and breakable like in DDO, a combo of those two mechanics would be pretty damn cool.

As far as character building, DDO has done a lot to make their UI far more easy to understand and work with, so there is that, but lets be honest, being able to mix 3 classes, each with their own 3 arch-types, as well as now being able to mix 3 Epic-Destiny-Trees.

Not to mention the fact that the game is fully open, with all races being able to play any and all classes, as well as anyone can use any weapon, and wear any armor (Some minor restrictions apply, like only an Artificer can use a Rune Arm)

While maybe not the best for people that need their hand held, it allows for the absolute most freedom to make what suits you in any game.

Like say, playing a rogue that uses great swords.. for example. But if you want to play a traditional Paladin that uses heavy plate, longsword and shield, you can do that as well.

Which is why I chose that build style.
    ScotAlBQuirky
    Egotism is the anesthetic that dullens the pain of stupidity, this is why when I try to beat my head against the stupidity of other people, I only hurt myself.