Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Should voicechat be required?

13»

Comments

• ShaighShaigh Member EpicPosts: 2,142
    Voice chat has never been necessary for PvE since the gameplay is static, its generally mouth breathers who needs voice chat for raiding.
    Temp0
    Iselin: And the next person who says "but it's a business, they need to make money" can just go fuck yourself.
  • BruceYeeBruceYee Member EpicPosts: 2,556
    I've never thought VC was necessary in any game I've played cept maybe 40 man vanilla WoW raids but in modern times the people who use it for the most part seem to be those just desperate for someone to talk to.
    Temp0
  • PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004
    I think there was one game i played that had proximity voice chat and that was ESO, playing the game with it enabled though would likely give you a very bad impression of the people who play the game, i certainly wouldn't want children to be around to overhear it, it was something i disabled very quickly honestly because unlike text chat, there are no language filters etc. for voice chat, if anything ESO is a good example of why proximity voice chat is a really bad idea. :/
    Temp0
  • ET3DET3D Member UncommonPosts: 325
    Not much of a gamer these days, but when I was I'd never want voice chat, because it ruins roleplaying. It may be okay if you're just playing as a group to achieve a goal, but if you're playing a character, your own voice just won't be a fit.
    Temp0
  • YashaXYashaX Member EpicPosts: 3,098
    All players in pvp groups should ideally be in voice coms even if they can't talk, and I would require that of someone in my guild.
    Scorchien
  • CitizenX007CitizenX007 Member UncommonPosts: 75
    I've never played with voice-chat, and I never will. Most players are idiots...the last thing I want in my gaming experience is some moron constantly yapping about irrelevant shit. 
  • JeffSpicoliJeffSpicoli Member EpicPosts: 2,849
    Definitely not , I really have to be in the mood to want to communicate with others via voice chat in online gaming lol 
    MadFrenchieTemp0
    • Aloha Mr Hand ! 

• ScorchienScorchien Member LegendaryPosts: 8,914
    For a lotta shit , you have to at least be in there to listen ..
    MadFrenchie
  • MendelMendel Member LegendaryPosts: 5,609
    Phry said:
    I think there was one game i played that had proximity voice chat and that was ESO, playing the game with it enabled though would likely give you a very bad impression of the people who play the game, i certainly wouldn't want children to be around to overhear it, it was something i disabled very quickly honestly because unlike text chat, there are no language filters etc. for voice chat, if anything ESO is a good example of why proximity voice chat is a really bad idea. :/
    I'd agree to a degree.  Proximity voice chat *as currently implemented* is a bad idea.  If there were some controls added to mute specific players, and intelligent filters that could interpret the incoming dialog, that might be a better solution.  Ideally, this function should be tied to the host game (not a 3rd party application) in order to provide feedback to the game developers.

Realistically, I doubt if many of us are going to live long enough for this kind of functionality to become a reality.

Logic, my dear, merely enables one to be wrong with great authority.

• TillerTiller Member LegendaryPosts: 11,125
    Still a no for me, voice chat is annoying in MMOs. Gotta love the people who leave their mics open while you're trying to play a game. I forgot I had VC on other night and was playing NMS, some folks joined my session and I got to listen to some heavy mouth breather with his kids screaming in the background while his wife yelled at them, making the dog bark as I flew around a planet. Immersive. Lets not forget the people who stream crap music at high volume or play karaoke bar in voice chat.
    SWG Bloodfin vet
    Elder Jedi/Elder Bounty Hunter

• AlbatroesAlbatroes Member LegendaryPosts: 7,671
    Why did we raise this from the dead exactly....?
    craftseeker
  • boris20boris20 Member RarePosts: 404
    I understand guilds requiring members to use voice coms. If you dont like the rule, dont join. 

But in general, no i do not agree with anything requiring you to use voice coms. Some days you just dont feel like peopling and want left alone to play your game in silence. 
  • ArglebargleArglebargle Member EpicPosts: 3,381
    Albatroes said:
    Why did we raise this from the dead exactly....?
    Because the question is pretty much eternal?
    -said in best vampire voice-

If you are holding out for the perfect game, the only game you play will be the waiting one.

• DhahranGirlDhahranGirl Newbie CommonPosts: 22
    Hatefull said:
    1. Handicapped people. They just do not get to play if they can not use voice?

2. Squeaky, over-excitable pre-teens that have no tone/volume control, no way in hell will I be subjected to that.

3. Voice has its place, and I know it absolutely does enhance gameplay for a lot of people (myself included most of the time) but there has to be some control involved as well.

4. Trolling, if all are required to be on voice then you are going to end up with more than one of these guys...

The list goes on, but my point is no, it should not be required.

I totally agree.  Being a girl I feel sometimes I am "harassed" by trolls.  This wouldn't happen without voice chat.  I am tryign tof ind MMORPG with voice chats but are well designed to minimize the trolling.
  • TwoTubesTwoTubes Member UncommonPosts: 328
    edited December 2021
    Are you playing with other people?? Really part of the 'multi' when it comes to M...MORPG?

The poll if for people who are playing games that are hardcore as in, play them 20+ hours a week.

Only 2 options... you are either closer to Yes or closer to No. Pick one!
    Did you not play first gen MMOs heavily prior to voice chat being an option?  Teamspeak didn't come out until 2001 and Ventrillo not until 2002 (I looked it up).  They were never necessary prior to that. 

It's clearly not mandatory or required.  It's just a quality of life feature.

Leave a Comment

bolditalicunderlinestrikecodeimageurlquotespoiler
BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file