Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

EVE-Online: Top Rated MMORPG.

Hey folks.  What do you all think about EVE-Online taking the front spot on the MMORPG list?  I actually play this game, and it is fantastic.  Never seen anything quite like it --- I LOVED Privateer when I was young and have been waiting for that space based game that combines combat with trade and piracy and especially MMO.

So I am pretty psyched that it is at the top of the list, and I think it should be there as well.  The game OF COURSE needs work, and it is constantly being improved, but that's what MMORPGs are all about.  I just hope they speed the content boat up by a bit :)

Out!

Comments

• Negative71Negative71 Member Posts: 162

As someone who played Earth and Beyond through all the "Oh, EVE is going to be SO great, it's going to take all E&B's users away and put them out of business!" talk, I just can't seem to muster up any good thoughts about EVE. Of course, they all said the same when Galaxies neared release, and it didn't do it (pull all the players away from E&B) either.. yet I play that. Blame my girlfriend's love of Star Wars for that choice, I guess.

Originally posted by ahsudbury

I LOVED Privateer when I was young and have been waiting for that space based game that combines combat with trade and piracy and especially MMO.

They've had a game like that for awhile now.. it's called Jumpgate. I believe it even pre-dates Earth and Beyond, let alone EVE.

EDIT: Oh, sorry, the NyQuil's starting to kick in now.. to answer the question more specifically, as in what do I think of EVE being on the top of the MMORPG.com MMO list? Well, since I signed up here I've already seen evidence of at least 2 game communities making dedicated efforts to overhype their games and artificially raise those ratings you speak of. (Dark and Light, and Neocron, if I recall the two I've seen so far) Those ratings now have about the same meaning, to me anyway, as a warm bucket of hamster vomit. The staff here doesn't seem to care about the loss of credibility they might get from such ratings-tampering, they just seem to like the page hits. (see the D&L thread in this same section for where I got this opinion) I can cope with that sort of attitude.. but if they're going to have it, then don't expect me to put any value behind the numbers that appear and get regurgitated occasionally in the forums here and elsewhere.

-- Death to picture-sigs. --

• higgsbosonhiggsboson Member Posts: 296

I find it has awesome graphic, I even had one of their screenshots as my wallpaper for while.

But I somehow find those graphic talents are wasted with poor gameplay implementation.

Don't get me wrong, overall, I would rank this game above average but no matter how good the game looks or plays if you can't find a certain threshold number of players to make the gameworld dynamic, it only becomes sleeper's hit.

• OmolOmol Member Posts: 332
    I dont fine either E&B or EVE very good other than graphics wise. Guess it is me tho. I couldnt get into them.

----------------------------
    Omol da'Ox
    The Blooded

----------------------------
    Omol da'Ox

• okay, i played eve beta and and the game for another 5 month, and i heavily enjoyed it.
    the best mmorpg for me so far, anyway i quitted in october 2003, cause of the lack of content and lack of imporvement bug-wise.
    they just launched a major update, but i couldnt check it out really for myself.
    i think eve suffers the same problems as many other mmorpgs: 1. released too early 2. lack of content after a few month.... BUT: its still lightyears better than e&b (imho, of course)!
    the e&b gfx is neon-comic style and doesnt even come close to the cute and detailed gfx eve got.
    the background story, athmosphere and ambient music gives eve a pretty nice "space-feeling", i havnt had that at all when i checked e&b last time.
    eve has the best chat/comunictaion so far seen in a mmorpg, interface, player info. well lacks in guild/corp system and actionpacked pvp fights maybe. anyway, there are quite a few more points eve got over e&b, i just thought "omg, its eve for kids, even with kids chars, kids gfx and kids music" when i played it.

to cut it short: i think - and i think i got some objective points - eve is way better than e&b.

cheers, irnaii

{vita somnium breve}

• NGRU-RixNGRU-Rix Member Posts: 1

Hi, been playing the game since Phase 5 of the beta and, I gotta say. Eve has come a long way since then. The content is there, it always has been but those who say they quit becuase of it or say the game is not fun becuase of a lack of developer related content are missing at least half of what the game has to offer.

The player driven content is where this game gets it's fun and excitement. If you wait around for the developers to add content you are going to be unhappy. They are releasing content but slowly, this game is supposed to take a long time to accomplish things.

If you played the game for less than a month, you didn't even scratch the surface of what this title gas to offer. If you are the "gimmie I want it now!" or the power leveling type - you will hate this game. If you are patient and can see long term goals, not to mention long time wars - you will love it.

You really do get out of this game exactly what you put into it. If you are unimaginitive and 2 dimensional - you will be bored. If you can think 3 drimensionally - you will have a great time playing this game.

• hey rix,  irnaii here from n.e.r.d. inc., you still member of the cfs? :)

and, i think u are right, but not to 100% ... i did everything possible in the game: pvp, pve, mining, trading, researching, building, exploring... damn i even ninja mined in a probe for arkonor when the game came out and i had lots of fun with player created content in the cfs or otherwise. i was in the game for 5 month in a row with almost everyday a few hrs playing and i am not lacking phantasy, imagination or whatever.... i earn my money with these skills - anyway, i still got bored of it, but as i said, imho the best mmorpg i played so far, and there were quiet a few.

cheerio, irnaii

{vita somnium breve}

Originally posted by Irnaii

to cut it short: i think - and i think i got some objective points - eve is way better than e&b.

Let me give you a real-life analogy to better explain how I feel about EVE:

I will *NEVER* own a Chevrolet car or truck for the rest of my life. Why? No average car maker is much better or worse than any other.. but.. I've run into SO many annoying Chevrolet owners that so soured me to Chevys that I'd rather buy a Yugo or even walk than be associated with that group of car owners. It's the people associated with the brand, in other words. EVE could be the best game ever made, and I still wouldn't want to play it because of all the people I remember from my E&B days who would spam up the E&B forums yapping about EVE.

• Clever_GloveClever_Glove Member Posts: 996
    I drive a Ford.

-=-=-=-=-
    "The beauty of MMORPGS is the merging of gaming and chatrooms. EQ is really just AOL merged with a fantasy game." - billus8

Bartle: A: 93% E: 55% S:3% K: 50% Test learn what it means here.

-=-=-=-=-
    Achievers realise that killers as a concept are necessary in order to make achievement meaningful and worthwhile (there being no way to "lose" the game if any fool can "win" just by plodding slowly unchallenged). -bartle

Bartle: A: 93% E: 55% S:3% K: 50% The Test. Learn what it means here.

• MalkavianMalkavian Member UncommonPosts: 2,995

Foriegn Cars for me. Presently a Mitsubishi....

Still I have yet to experience Eve. Anyone have any suggestions how I might test its waters via a free trial or something of that nature so I don't end up cursing "wtf did i pay $$$ to play this game"?

- Malkavian image

"When you find yourself falling into madness... Dive." - Malkavian Proverb

"When you find yourself sinking into Madness, dive"

• TyphoneTyphone Member Posts: 59

Personally I find it quite amusing that a low quality low to 0 userbase game was able to even get on the list let alone be on the top of it, I gues the people at eve do know how to make some things. It looks like they are able to make vote spaming tools very well... now if they could only do as well making games...

Yes I played Eve I hated it looks are not everything. Get some gameplay and yes E&B sucked as well but only because the player economy was not developed "player vendors anyone?" personally I wont play any mmo where I have to sit in town and spam for hours on end just to sell my crafting goods, I have better things to do with my time.

• GlottisGlottis Member Posts: 69

What the hell. Eve online first? LOL

Graphics: 10.0
    Sound: 8.6
    Role Playing: 7.3
    Value: 7.5
    Fun: 7.2
    Community: 7.8
    Performance / Lag: 7.9
    Customer Service: 7.4
    * Based on 240 total votes.
    Ranking system is messed up. No way 240 users voted 10 for gfx.

• LreguizrLreguizr Member Posts: 207

EVE Online scared me away because of the "point and click" controls without skill based they have in the game.

Plus, it got a bad review at Tech-TV. Which can be located over here:
    http://www.techtv.com/xplay/reviews/story/0,24330,3457320,00.html

I would perfer a space-trading game where you actually control a ship using a joystick(skill based wise) instead of point and click.

I've never see any mmopgs which involves controlling a craft with a joystick.. except for jumpgate.

Yep, Jumpgate takes a wee bit of skill to fly in, unlike the other games. I'm guessing SWG's space-expansion will also require a low level of skill to fly in. Too complicated, and you scare some people off.

• anti^socialanti^social Member Posts: 25
    Hey is there a demo or trial for eve because it wont let me play unless i have an account which costs money. Id rather not pay for a game that ive never played before.
  • DesalusDesalus Member UncommonPosts: 848

No demo so far. Sorry.

EVE is a mixed bag in my opinion. There are a lot of different things to do in EVE, but a majority of them are tedious money-making tasks.  

I've spent a lot of time with this game(since June 2003), and I'm really bored with the game now. All I'm doing now is just letting my character train and doing a few agent missions here and there. I don't want to quit playing because I have a strong belief that CCP will make EVE into a fantastic game. In my opinion there are major things missing from the game right now, such as player controlled stations and territory. CCP (the devs) plan to implement these within the next year (a bit long for my taste). They just released a very large patch that made many improvements and introduced tech lvl 2 ships and items. Although, we are still waiting for these items to surface since they must be obtained through research & development. All in all I think EVE is a pretty worthwhile game. I think it really depends on the type of person who plays this game. Some people love it, others like it, and some just plain hate it. 

---------------------------------------------
    Killer 86%, Socializer 53%, Explorer 33%, Achiever 26%

• Originally posted by Desalus

I think it really depends on the type of person who plays this game. Some people love it, others like it, and some just plain hate it. 

and thats how it is...

{vita somnium breve}

• ahsudburyahsudbury Member Posts: 29

They are talking about introducing a demo for EVE-Online ... something about two systems connected only to each other with tutorials and stuff ... only for the demo players...with a demo chat and also letting demo players into the general help chat.

Just speculation but it looks like it might happen.

• MalkavianMalkavian Member UncommonPosts: 2,995

Originally posted by ahsudbury

They are talking about introducing a demo for EVE-Online ... something about two systems connected only to each other with tutorials and stuff ... only for the demo players...with a demo chat and also letting demo players into the general help chat.
    Just speculation but it looks like it might happen.

I hope so, because I'd like to try this out before i waste any money.

- Malkavian image

"When you find yourself falling into madness... Dive." - Malkavian Proverb

"When you find yourself sinking into Madness, dive"

• pwainpwain Member UncommonPosts: 115

is PvP in Eve possible ? Without a demo, most people will never start playing this game :(

• AdminAdmin Administrator RarePosts: 5,623

Originally posted by Glottis

What the hell. Eve online first? LOL

Ranking system is messed up. No way 240 users voted 10 for gfx.

It has a 10.0 based on the curve.  When the curve is applied to the graphics score it brings it to 10.  As for the "Eve Madness" taking place right now - it is likely from a link on an Eve fan site sending players here to boost the ranking...we see this all the time with lots of games.

We are going to be adding some rules to the rating system that will make this kind of behavior nearly impossible.  The following rules will be added (or something like this):

• You must have a user rank of 5 or higher to rate a game.  Because ranks are only generated once per day - a new user will not be able to rate a game for 24 hours at the minimum - assuming they made a few posts.  They could also achieve a rank of 5 or higher for logging into the site 3 or more days in a month.
    • Only one review per game, per IP address.  So if someone tries to make multiple accounts to vote games up or down, this will be restricted.
    • Only 3 reviews per user, per day.  This should help with the members who are rating their favorite game a 10 and all the others on the list a 1 (or something like this).

We hope to have these new rules in effect within the next couple weeks.  At this same time we are going to purge all reviews from members that have only logged into the site 3 or less times.  We hope this will "clean up" a lot of the bogus data in the system.

- MMORPG.COM Staff -

- MMORPG.COM Staff -

The dead know only one thing: it is better to be alive.

• ArchaArcha Member Posts: 32

Here is a great download location:

http://eve.skjalfti.is/video/community/

These are player made movies of certain battles.

it only shows a part of the combat aspect of the game.

some trailers from ccp:

http://www.eve-online.com/download/videos/trailers.asp

Have fun!

• Clever_GloveClever_Glove Member Posts: 996
    Give yourself a raise admin, you need one :)

-=-=-=-=-
    "The beauty of MMORPGS is the merging of gaming and chatrooms. EQ is really just AOL merged with a fantasy game." - billus8

Bartle: A: 93% E: 55% S:3% K: 50% Test learn what it means here.

-=-=-=-=-
    Achievers realise that killers as a concept are necessary in order to make achievement meaningful and worthwhile (there being no way to "lose" the game if any fool can "win" just by plodding slowly unchallenged). -bartle

Bartle: A: 93% E: 55% S:3% K: 50% The Test. Learn what it means here.

• webBear1000webBear1000 Member Posts: 301

I played Eve for 6 month. Looking back I can't for the life of me figure out why I stuck it.

I guess I wanted it to improve because of the potential.

The game is just BORING ... Eve Online, Eve Yawnline more like.

----------------------------------
    Don't jump off the roof Dad
    You'll make a hole in the yard
    ----------------------------------

• n2soonersn2sooners Member UncommonPosts: 926
    best mining simulator on the market

image image