Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Any single player games that stay updates like a mmorpg?

lonesollonesol Member UncommonPosts: 60
I always wanted a rpg that was single player that updates like a mmorpg, where they don't just abandon it and make a new one. Is there any game like that? Thanks for any help.
AlBQuirky

Comments

• JemcrystalJemcrystal Member UncommonPosts: 1,984
    You can play Ark Survival Evolved in single player mode or multiplayer so it updates with the mmo.
    AlBQuirky

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,002
    I believe you can play Elite Dangerous in single-player mode.

AlBQuirky[Deleted User]
    Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • ScorchienScorchien Member LegendaryPosts: 8,914
    If you ever wanted to play Eve online as a single player game..

Astrox Imperium is a great game
    AlBQuirky
  • VrikaVrika Member LegendaryPosts: 7,888
    A lot of mobile games try to do constant updates and events, and in that way they're run like MMOs.

I wouldn't recommend playing any of them. But a lot of them do what you're looking for.
    AlBQuirky

• ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,955
    The dividing line between solo and multiplayer has become increasingly blurred over the years, so its hard to say. But Skyrim and the older Fallout's still get modded that's the closest I can think. Otherwise No Mans Sky may fit the bill.
    AlBQuirkyolepi
  • AlBQuirkyAlBQuirky Member EpicPosts: 7,432
    Do "pre-releases" count? I see lots of game listed as "in development" for a price tag and seem to get "regular" updates.

I think that most single player games that allow mods seem to have mods that follow them throughout the years. Eventually, the developers move on to new projects, unless you're like Bethesda who re-releases Skyrim every few years, sometimes on new platform and new iterations, most of the time with the same bugs from the original edition.

- Al

Personally the only modern MMORPG trend that annoys me is the idea that MMOs need to be designed in a way to attract people who don't actually like MMOs. Which to me makes about as much sense as someone trying to figure out a way to get vegetarians to eat at their steakhouse.
    - FARGIN_WAR

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,002
    AlBQuirky said:
    Do "pre-releases" count? I see lots of game listed as "in development" for a price tag and seem to get "regular" updates.

I think that most single player games that allow mods seem to have mods that follow them throughout the years. Eventually, the developers move on to new projects, unless you're like Bethesda who re-releases Skyrim every few years, sometimes on new platform and new iterations, most of the time with the same bugs from the original edition.
    You bring up a good point.. The Elder Scrolls games have tons of mods that keep them fresh. People are still creating mods for Morrowind and even daggerfall.

I believe the Witcher 3 has a ton of mods though I don't know if mods can be made that create new adventures.
    AlBQuirky
    Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • MendelMendel Member LegendaryPosts: 5,609
    If you play through Steam, you can set up any specific game for Automatic Updates.  When any specific game publishes a patch/change/fix/(colossal screwup) to the game, it will automatically download and install the updated version.  Essentially, it makes almost every game with an active development team operate like a managed world.  The trick is to find a game that actively supports the base game (not only via a new DLC).  Some suggested developers to look at: Beamdog, Owlcat, some Paradox games.

AlBQuirky

Logic, my dear, merely enables one to be wrong with great authority.

AlBQuirky said:

OMG don't say that again or a studio will pick up on it. Early Access will be renamed "Regularly Updated". :)
    AlBQuirky[Deleted User]
  • KratierKratier Member RarePosts: 626
    to OP's question yeah genshin impact is one, monthly content update, always adding content and adding things, and will continue to be updating, f2p for a long time

AlBQuirky
  • ConstantineMerusConstantineMerus Member EpicPosts: 3,338
    I always thought an RPG single player game would do rather well with seasonal content. Imagine if we gotten like 40 Skyrim DLCs over the years instead of 2.
    AlBQuirky
    Constantine, The Console Poster

• "One of the most difficult tasks men can perform, however much others may despise it, is the invention of good games and it cannot be done by men out of touch with their instinctive selves." - Carl Jung
  • KnightFalzKnightFalz Member EpicPosts: 4,166
    If you enjoy turn-based combat or at least don't mind it, then Star Traders: Frontiers may interest you.

It is a RPG set in space where you command a ship along with an NPC crew that gives you a great deal of freedom as to how you want to play the game. You can be a trader as the name of the game suggests, a pirate, a bounty hunter, part of the military of one of the powers of the game, and so on.

As I mentioned, the combat is turn-based. Ship based combat is presented in a manner similar to that in Master of Orion 2, if you are familiar with that game. Party based combat is presented in a manner similar to that in Darkest Dungeon.

Every time you start a new game some procedural generation is involved so it will be quite the same from play through to the next. The game is also frequently updated. It came out in 2018 and the last update was #304 where they rebalanced sensor arrays.

There is certainly plenty to sink your teeth into if it suits your fancy.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/335620/Star_Traders_Frontiers/

• giantessfangiantessfan Member UncommonPosts: 185
    edited November 2022
    There called Live Service games and there a lot of them. More coming out next year like Avatar:Frontiers of Pandora, Diablo 4, Sucide Squad: Kill the Justic League (Rumored Live service anyway), and I am sure there is more. These are games that are updated for years with seasons, free content, expansions, etc... 

Of the big ones is Division 2 but I mean I would count most Ubisoft games as Live Service now a days. I mean AC:Valhalla was updated for 2 years. 
  • DEXA88DEXA88 Member UncommonPosts: 175
    lOOK for Stoneshard on Steam thats exactly the game you need !
    DEXA88 said:
    lOOK for Stoneshard on Steam thats exactly the game you need !
    Looks interesting but still in EA.
    edited June 2023
    The adbots are giving better advice for posters than we do now. :)
  • TalraekkTalraekk Member UncommonPosts: 260
    "Single Player games are now /Mot multi player games.  Every single one of them is either coop or...... not quite mmo but mmo.  GOOD singleplayer games now include garbage like coop... multi... or various functions which make standard single player a relic of the past.  No matter that these new gen games are nigh on garbage........
    edited June 2023
    Talraekk said:
    "Single Player games are now /Mot multi player games.  Every single one of them is either coop or...... not quite mmo but mmo.  GOOD singleplayer games now include garbage like coop... multi... or various functions which make standard single player a relic of the past.  No matter that these new gen games are nigh on garbage........
    You can still get s lot of good solo player, so you are way out on a limb there. Where I do agree is that gaming has shifted to co-op, increasingly multiplayer but not so far as being proper MMORPG's. The reason for that is clear, players feel more incentivised to buy a game at the same time as their mates begin playing and it is easy to sell cash shop items from cosmetics to P2W when you have "to keep up with the Joneses". Money before gameplay as is so often the case these days.