Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

NFT MMOs

1235»

Comments

• laseritlaserit Member LegendaryPosts: 7,591
    iam trying to understand. What are blockchain games?
    You buy things, love them or hopefully resell them and become rich :)

"Be water my friend" - Bruce Lee

• TalmienTalmien Member UncommonPosts: 189
    edited December 2021
    iam trying to understand. What are blockchain games?

If you've ever read or watched Ready Player One. That's what block chain games want to be. The feasibility of it is what is up for debate.
  • TillerTiller Member LegendaryPosts: 11,167
    Here is an  example of a blockchain game. Not sure it's even as robust as Farmville was back in the day. IDK I'm not trying to hate but come on quality counts.

SWG Bloodfin vet
    Elder Jedi/Elder Bounty Hunter

• maskedweaselmaskedweasel Member LegendaryPosts: 12,180
    Tiller said:
    Here is an  example of a blockchain game. Not sure it's even as robust as Farmville was back in the day. IDK I'm not trying to hate but come on quality counts.

Yeah not all blockchain games are winners. Not all blockchain games are games either. 

• bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838
    Tiller said:

Yeah not all blockchain games are winners. Not all blockchain games are games either. 
    Not all blockchains are winners either...  Solana crashed again.  :D
    "We see fundamentals and we ape in"
    bcbully said:
    Tiller said:

To be fair everything is fluctuating a bunch. 

bcbully said:
    Tiller said:

not talking price. im talking the entire chain went down. 3 time in 12 months

maskedweasel
    bcbully said:
    bcbully said:
    Tiller said:

not talking price. im talking the entire chain went down. 3 time in 12 months

Oh yeah, haha well about that, apparently they've been trying to ddos Solana to bring it down because last I heard the ceo of Solana basically stated they aren't interested in fixing it.  Basically they don't care if the network goes down, since it doesn't actually affect the transaction data.

Sets a bad precedent imo, but that's pretty much what they've said. 
    bcbully

• UngoodUngood Member LegendaryPosts: 7,532
    bcbully said:
    I swear I wish I could have owned my 15 or o slevel capped WoW toons. Have those bad boys in my wallet right now. Same with ESO and Wushu.

It sounds abosolutly crazy to think of putting that much time into something that's not mine today. Unthinkable. 
    This is a Fascinating thought, but what could I do with them, when their existence is linked to the MMO they are in. Ergo, they only exist within the WoW Game.

As such, ownership of my Toon, means a little less than nothing unless I am playing the game it is linked to, but, since that is my Account, no one else should get to use it, unless they hack my account, which is about as much ownership as anyone could hope for.

There is also the small matter of all the graphics, images, and the like of WoW's game and system are owned and copyrighted by Blizzard, and on top of that, there is nothing stopping anyone from making an Avatar that looked identical to mine, so there is little way, outside the game itself, that Ownership would serve me, outside the prospect of selling my account.

Which brings us to the issue of account sales, and the like. MMO's started to crack down on this issue, because people made a fuss that they owned game property, and thus had the right to sell it, as they wanted, to who they wanted, for what they wanted.

Game companies said.. No.. this is our product, you just have a license to use it, not own it.

In fact that is also the grounds they use, to ban people who have violated the EULA and TOS, that they do not own anything in the game, this was a legal issue that was brought up with Second Life, and now all EULA's make it clear they players are simply allowed to access the game, as long as they keep their account in good standing, they do not in any way, own anything in the game, as that is the property of the game developer. This is what has let to game shops, as game companies realized their would always RMT market for their product, so they might as well be the ones to make the real money.

Which now brings us back to a developer that is willing to sell off, as best anyone can sell digital items, for cash, and allow players to sell and trade those items, as long as they do so within the game, which is like saying, You can RMT, as long as you do so on our auction house where we get a cut of the money.

This is not any real advantage or difference over what exists already, an as a player, that does not want to have play a game with my wallet out, this is even less attractive, as no doubt this just gives players more an incentive to RMT for the digital items they have, as opposed to using what would be in-game currency.

Now, if they made some Game World, that was totally block chain, and thus more a open source game, open platform, and not centrally hosted, that would be a world were NFT might matter, as it would combine the advantage of Bitcoin with NFT, but also be player driven as opposed to owned by some mega corp.

Egotism is the anesthetic that dullens the pain of stupidity, this is why when I try to beat my head against the stupidity of other people, I only hurt myself.

edited December 2021
    Ungood said:
    bcbully said:
    I swear I wish I could have owned my 15 or o slevel capped WoW toons. Have those bad boys in my wallet right now. Same with ESO and Wushu.

It sounds abosolutly crazy to think of putting that much time into something that's not mine today. Unthinkable. 
    This is a Fascinating thought, but what could I do with them, when their existence is linked to the MMO they are in. Ergo, they only exist within the WoW Game.

As such, ownership of my Toon, means a little less than nothing unless I am playing the game it is linked to, but, since that is my Account, no one else should get to use it, unless they hack my account, which is about as much ownership as anyone could hope for.

There is also the small matter of all the graphics, images, and the like of WoW's game and system are owned and copyrighted by Blizzard, and on top of that, there is nothing stopping anyone from making an Avatar that looked identical to mine, so there is little way, outside the game itself, that Ownership would serve me, outside the prospect of selling my account.

Which brings us to the issue of account sales, and the like. MMO's started to crack down on this issue, because people made a fuss that they owned game property, and thus had the right to sell it, as they wanted, to who they wanted, for what they wanted.

Game companies said.. No.. this is our product, you just have a license to use it, not own it.

In fact that is also the grounds they use, to ban people who have violated the EULA and TOS, that they do not own anything in the game, this was a legal issue that was brought up with Second Life, and now all EULA's make it clear they players are simply allowed to access the game, as long as they keep their account in good standing, they do not in any way, own anything in the game, as that is the property of the game developer. This is what has let to game shops, as game companies realized their would always RMT market for their product, so they might as well be the ones to make the real money.

Which now brings us back to a developer that is willing to sell off, as best anyone can sell digital items, for cash, and allow players to sell and trade those items, as long as they do so within the game, which is like saying, You can RMT, as long as you do so on our auction house where we get a cut of the money.

This is not any real advantage or difference over what exists already, an as a player, that does not want to have play a game with my wallet out, this is even less attractive, as no doubt this just gives players more an incentive to RMT for the digital items they have, as opposed to using what would be in-game currency.

Now, if they made some Game World, that was totally block chain, and thus more a open source game, open platform, and not centrally hosted, that would be a world were NFT might matter, as it would combine the advantage of Bitcoin with NFT, but also be player driven as opposed to owned by some mega corp.

aaaaand back to square one  :D

Good you're thinking about things. No one could be expected to go back and read all these threads.

MMORPG.COM really needs to write a pinned article on NFTs, get out ahead of things, educate thier consumers. I honestly don't think they have anyone capable though. 

They have a small window, but they can take advantage, and lock in relevancy for years to come.

Post edited by bcbully on