Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Why did this game get such a crappy review score?

Comments

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498
    Quizzical said:
    Scorchien said:
    Quizzical said:
    Scorchien said:
     Almost Flatlined Now

I suspect that your chart is wrong.  It is highlighting numbers from two weeks in the future.

Lol Steam projects forward also .. you ever use Steam ?lol.. It does not change the Facts now does it .. Actually thought you were smarter than that .. hmph go figure..:)
     Fixed  so as not to confuse anyone .. LMFAO
    Projections of the future are not facts.  If you want to cite facts, then site actual facts of historical numbers.
    The "fact" is Steam is predicting lower player numbers in the future, pretty clear to me.

Wonder how long it will be until NWs number dip below EVE Online....say Feb or March maybe?

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• shetlandslarsenshetlandslarsen Member UncommonPosts: 203
    Who cares its a cheap btp game.
    if i get more then 4hrs ingame its a win.
    All this shit tossing back and forth is why i lurch more then post.
    ScotOldKingLog
    I am a scizo misanthrope. So one day I may go BANZAI on your post.
    Have not yet though. Maybe there is hope?
    Nah there is really none for me or the human race. 
  • ConstantineMerusConstantineMerus Member EpicPosts: 3,338
    Kyleran said:
    Quizzical said:
    Scorchien said:
    Quizzical said:
    Scorchien said:
     Almost Flatlined Now

I suspect that your chart is wrong.  It is highlighting numbers from two weeks in the future.

Lol Steam projects forward also .. you ever use Steam ?lol.. It does not change the Facts now does it .. Actually thought you were smarter than that .. hmph go figure..:)
    Projections of the future are not facts.  If you want to cite facts, then site actual facts of historical numbers.
    The "fact" is Steam is predicting lower player numbers in the future, pretty clear to me.

Wonder how long it will be until NWs number dip below EVE Online....say Feb or March maybe?

I'm planning to write a fan-fiction for a 5 year projections. It's called Lord of the Jinx. 
    [Deleted User]Kyleran
    Constantine, The Console Poster

• "One of the most difficult tasks men can perform, however much others may despise it, is the invention of good games and it cannot be done by men out of touch with their instinctive selves." - Carl Jung
  • xdave78xdave78 Member UncommonPosts: 105
    "Why did this game get such a crappy review score?"
    Because it´'s the most inconsistent MMO I´'ve seen for a long time (and many people agree). There is absolutely no real story, plot or lore. It is a bad PvP Game and a even worse PvE Game. Everyone was able to get this info in the beta already and most ppl saw exactly this coming, what happens atm with NW.  It is a shame but Amazon totally screw it.
  • OldKingLogOldKingLog Member RarePosts: 564

Uh .. did you mean to type Lurk or are you actually this guy
    [Deleted User][Deleted User]
  • shetlandslarsenshetlandslarsen Member UncommonPosts: 203

Uh .. did you mean to type Lurk or are you actually this guy
    HAHA! I stand corrected Lurk it is. English is not my native language so i do make some spelling mistakes from time to time.
    I am a scizo misanthrope. So one day I may go BANZAI on your post.
    Have not yet though. Maybe there is hope?
    Nah there is really none for me or the human race. 
  • BrainyBrainy Member EpicPosts: 2,038
    tzervo said:
    Criticism on the issues is valid. Population numbers dropping don't lie. If the game was fun pop would not drop.

I find attacks and insults to the devs to be idiotic though. Making an MMO (or any large development project) is inherently risky and complex, I would like to see all those idiots throwing insults try something as complex.

The entire point of good management is to take complex tasks and break them down into smaller non complex tasks.  If this isn't happening then this is the start of the problem.  Its not as if 1 dev is doing all this on their own.  These people should be specialized and experienced to do the job day in day out so that they are not recreating the wheel.

What you say is complex should just be another day at the office for the proper team.  Its not different than designing buildings, airplanes, cars, running a hospital or so many other seemly complex jobs that run just fine day to day.

Sure if you hire Fred living in a box on the corner to do your Brain Surgery then sure its going to seem real complex.  But a competent professional is just going to do the job like clockwork.
    Kyleran said:
    Quizzical said:
    Scorchien said:
    Quizzical said:
    Scorchien said:
     Almost Flatlined Now

I'm planning to write a fan-fiction for a 5 year projections. It's called Lord of the Jinx. 
    Speaking of Jinx, just binge watched Arcane last weekend, what an excellent animated series.... highly recommended by someone who generally dislikes video game movies (unless Resident Evil) and anime.

Iselin[Deleted User][Deleted User]ConstantineMerus

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

tzervo said:
    Criticism on the issues is valid. Population numbers dropping don't lie. If the game was fun pop would not drop.

I find attacks and insults to the devs to be idiotic though. Making an MMO (or any large development project) is inherently risky and complex, I would like to see all those idiots throwing insults try something as complex.
    Yeah, whenever I find myself being overly critical on Devs I have to ask myself if I really could do any better operating in their environment.

Answer is probably not. Creating a successful new game is a crapshoot, so many variables outside of any one person's control.

No matter how well you make something, will anyone really like it, who can say.

[Deleted User]ConstantineMerus

• IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    Kyleran said:
    Kyleran said:
    Quizzical said:
    Scorchien said:
    Quizzical said:
    Scorchien said:
     Almost Flatlined Now

Speaking of Jinx, just binge watched Arcane last weekend, what an excellent animated series.... highly recommended by someone who generally dislikes video game movies (unless Resident Evil) and anime.

Yeah it was impressive. Impressive for a show based on a game IP but also overall. I kept expecting the plot to go to predictable places and it just didn't... ever.
    [Deleted User]KyleranConstantineMerusThe_Korrigan
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
    Wargfoot said:
    Kyleran said:
    tzervo said:

Yeah, whenever I find myself being overly critical on Devs I have to ask myself if I really could do any better operating in their environment.
    I think this is a fair point.
    It is always good to pull back on the judgement thing.

That said, my criticism of New World isn't because they tried something new and nobody really cared for it.   The criticism is that they repeated well known mistakes from the past and appeared to have missed obvious QA points.  It is the 'noob developer' problems that generated the most heat.

Would you launch a game without serious attention to duplication bugs?
    Would you attempt a full loot open world PvP game with vertical progression?

How can a developer be shocked by noobs getting slaughtered on the beach?
    That is almost weird.

Well I agree, NWs devs have been surprisingly obtuse in terms of repeating the sins of the past, which is why I suggested perhaps the bulk of them really haven't played MMORPGS all that much, particularly those in charge of making the final design decisions.

Brainy

• The_KorriganThe_Korrigan Member RarePosts: 3,459
    edited December 2021
    Kyleran said:
    Wargfoot said:
    Kyleran said:
    tzervo said:

I think this is a fair point.
    It is always good to pull back on the judgement thing.

That said, my criticism of New World isn't because they tried something new and nobody really cared for it.   The criticism is that they repeated well known mistakes from the past and appeared to have missed obvious QA points.  It is the 'noob developer' problems that generated the most heat.

Would you launch a game without serious attention to duplication bugs?
    Would you attempt a full loot open world PvP game with vertical progression?

How can a developer be shocked by noobs getting slaughtered on the beach?
    That is almost weird.

Well I agree, NWs devs have been surprisingly obtuse in terms of repeating the sins of the past, which is why I suggested perhaps the bulk of them really haven't played MMORPGS all that much, particularly those in charge of making the final design decisions.

Seems to me that they recently understood that being too obtuse doesn't work...
    The change to the Expertise system prove that at least for the moment.

Let's hope it's just not too late... which I don't believe yet. The game has still a healthy population for now, and people WILL come back (including some haters/trolls here) when they release a major content upgrade with new areas/dungeons/pvp.
    Post edited by The_Korrigan on
    Respect, walk, what did you say?
    Respect, walk
    Are you talkin' to me? Are you talkin' to me?
    - PANTERA at HELLFEST 2023
    Yes, they are back !

• ConstantineMerusConstantineMerus Member EpicPosts: 3,338
    Kyleran said:
    Kyleran said:
    Quizzical said:
    Scorchien said:
    Quizzical said:
    Scorchien said:
     Almost Flatlined Now

That good? Interesting. I thought it was another awful video game adaptation. Since your word means the world to me, I'll start watching tonight. 
    Constantine, The Console Poster

• "One of the most difficult tasks men can perform, however much others may despise it, is the invention of good games and it cannot be done by men out of touch with their instinctive selves." - Carl Jung
  • IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    Kyleran said:
    Kyleran said:
    Quizzical said:
    Scorchien said:
    Quizzical said:
    Scorchien said:
     Almost Flatlined Now

That good? Interesting. I thought it was another awful video game adaptation. Since your word means the world to me, I'll start watching tonight. 
    !00% critics and 97% audience over at rotten tomatoes... it's not just Kyle and me who were impressed :)

[Deleted User]ConstantineMerus
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• BrainyBrainy Member EpicPosts: 2,038
    Tokken said:
    It'll be interesting to see how many people come back once they merge servers.
    Ever consider more people might leave?
    [Deleted User]Kyleran
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
    edited December 2021
    Wargfoot said:
    Brainy said:
    Tokken said:
    It'll be interesting to see how many people come back once they merge servers.
    Ever consider more people might leave?
    I'm with Brainy on this one - I fail to see how merging servers fixes the game.

It seems to me that if you rob 50% of the player base of their territories there is a good chance you'll lose 50% of your player base.

There's no "robbing" since they are refunded.

I didn't see any posts yet about people being satisfied of being on a low pop server and being basically "kings of nothing".
    Respect, walk
    Yes, they are back !

• Nitro-1Nitro-1 Member UncommonPosts: 42
    Threads like this show people really like to watch train wrecks.
    [Deleted User]BrainyThe_Korrigan
    Nitro-1 said:

But this game is DOOOOOOMED ! ;)

Respect, walk
    Yes, they are back !

• ScorchienScorchien Member LegendaryPosts: 8,914
    edited December 2021
    Nitro-1 said:

But this game is DOOOOOOMED ! ;)

cough cough .. hrmm ..

US East Live Sever count ..  Be sure to click on Worlds next to server sets ..

Most servers are below 5% capacity with less than 100 players on a Saturday at 11 am ..

[Deleted User]TwistedSister77ItsThatGuy
  • DigDuggyDigDuggy Member RarePosts: 641
    no idea, I'm having a lot of fun.  From what I read by posts, the reviews usually get poor reviews from the community, so I don't really pay too much attention to them.

The_Korrigan
    Qbertq said:
    no idea, I'm having a lot of fun.  From what I read by posts, the reviews usually get poor reviews from the community, so I don't really pay too much attention to them.

It's just like movies. Some people just can't accept other people have a different taste than they do. Who cares ? Let them drown in their own misery.
    Respect, walk
    Yes, they are back !

• TheDalaiBombaTheDalaiBomba Member EpicPosts: 1,493
    Someone is definitely too emotionally invested in the direction of the game, and it ain't the naysayers.
    ConstantineMerusItsThatGuy
  • cheyanecheyane Member LegendaryPosts: 9,100
    Kyleran said:
    Kyleran said:
    Quizzical said:
    Scorchien said:
    Quizzical said:
    Scorchien said:
     Almost Flatlined Now

Yeah don't be fooled by the League of Legends thing. It's really good. One of the voices is the one from 'the expanse', Chrisjen Avasarala, love Shohreh Aghdashloo's  smoky voice.
    ConstantineMerusThe_KorriganKyleranRidelynn
    Chamber of Chains