Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Why did this game get such a crappy review score?

Comments

• IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    BruceYee said:
    Utinni said:
    Lack of content.

Kano said ^ years ago...

Luv or h8 the guy but he was right about NW years in advance... gotta give him credit for that... right?
    Everyone, myself included said that in 2020 when Kano said it lol. I even canceled my pre-order back then because of it.

They neither had expeditions nor Outpost Rush... and they still don't have enough. They have more zones and expeditions in the works and who knows what else but they ain't here yet.

Nevertheless I've gotten 300 hours from my $40 and am still having fun for now. When I stop having fun, I'll take a break from it... just like I've done with every MMO I've ever played.

I suppose I should bash every MMO I've ever left and blame it all on them. I'll put that on my to-do list for Festivus.

[Deleted User]YashaX
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• YashaXYashaX Member EpicPosts: 3,098
    Brainy said:
    YashaX said:
    Brainy said:
    I love how people are still White Knighting the game, but trying not to show it.  Watch them as they go from the game is AMAZING no problems at all they are loving it, to a 6.5 rating review is fair the game is still good.

Oh I love the statement the game is great and is stabilizing at 500k concurrent, then they say everything is great at 120k.  Although these people cant even predict correctly a few days in advance, what a difference a couple of days make.  NW is now down to 58k it seems and still dropping.  How far does it need to go before they wake up that everything is not fine and dandy.

https://steamplayercount.com/app/1063730

But you wont see them admit they were completely wrong and their stupid projections were completely clueless.  Ignorance is bliss.

I am sure in a year from now they will say they predicted its demise all along.

This game is garbage, people who played it early all the way to end game predicted its demise, a few stubborn fanboys are still hanging onto the same rope where the threads are breaking 1 by 1.  How many threads will break before they get a clue?  My guess is all of them.
    Is saying you like the game "white knighting"?

I think the game is great and compared to other mmos I have played would give it an 8/10 or something like that. It still has lots of room for improvement, but I pretty much feel that about any mmo I play. 

No liking a game in itself is not white knighting.

To me White Knighting is to completely ignore obvious problems and say they are perfectly fine.  Like saying the game is stabilizing at 500k concurrent players when clearly the problems are causing it to lose customers hand over fist.  What about saying all these massive problems are completely normal.  Or that this game will be fixed in a few weeks when clearly the Dev team has no clue how to solve complex end game problems.

I thought the game was pretty good up until level 30, and decent up to 60.  Denying that endgame after 60 doesn't have massive problems is definitely White Knighting.

If you like the game even with the massive duping, exploits, miscellaneous problems, lack of endgame, and lack of players then good for you.  Lets not let people deny these problems as legitimate issues that the vast majority of players are experiencing.

I have had games where it only has 20 hours of content.  It was still worth it for me to play, but I am not denying the lack of content either for others that have an issue with it.

Sure, but I have not read anyone claim that the game doesn't have issues. It's a fun game, it has a good population (how can you say there are a lack of players lol, this is not Crowfall), and I am not overly bothered by many of the issues people seem to be losing their minds over on the internet. 

It's weird, nearly every mmo launch comes with this massive hate train attached. I think it's good to be critical of a game so it can improve, but when you write off anyone who has something positive to say about a game as a "white knight" it doesn't sound very constructive.

[Deleted User]
  • hayes303hayes303 Member UncommonPosts: 430
    I played over 600 hrs of New World, not to mention the open and closed betas. I loved the game right up until they started flaying about, nerfing stuff and double down on everything grindy about the game. I left about a week ago and reading the patch notes about the next big one proves that AGS is heading down the exact wrong path.

Pvp sucks in the game, but they keep adding incentives as they are praying players will make their own endgame. Wars are a gated train wreck, with company governors and 49 of their closest friends playing it while everyone else stands there like a dummy. Thats when they have managed to fix the latest War breaking exploit. 

Drastic nerfs, stealth nerfs, buffing elite and boss mobs at the same time they are lowering player power, as well as nerfing drops and chests in open world dungeons just makes it seems like they are desperately trying to throw time sinks in to keep people logging in until they can build the rest of the game.
    YashaX[Deleted User]OldKingLog
  • BruceYeeBruceYee Member EpicPosts: 2,556
    The only way to fix AGS for over a half a decade of terrible decisions and wasting billions of dollars is fire all the first hires, make Smed CEO and give him free reign + enough money to fund enough projects to undo in everyone's mind's all the mistakes they've made. If Smed had been in charge for the past 5 years with 1 billion+ $ to work with we'd probably have a next gen SWG/DCUO/EQ/EQNext type MMO or at the very least a few playable games that aren't shallow soulless garbage.

I said half a decade ago that their first hires were nothing but bureaucrat devs whose only accomplishments were gaining new 'titles' that allowed them to rise the ranks in the gaming industry without ever really doing anything significant except for maybe impressing a superior from time to time enough to get promoted. Starting a studio out with a bunch of those people is probably the worst thing a company like Amazon who was willing to write a blank check to be a legit gaming studio could have done but they were duped because bureaucrat devs are politicians and talk a good game but don't/can't deliver.

People here still defending NW or 'backtracking' by pretending they weren't white knights should realize that those few devs at AGS that have ONLY been looking out for themselves could care less about the game and YOU. They've possibly ruined one of the greatest opportunities the MMO genre had for a 'comeback' yet here you are still defending them and making excuses. They (certain AGS devs) screwed us ALL.

Who knows now if Amazon will be willing to dump more money into future projects when NW pop gets to under 2k or if they'll even keep the studio going. What a waste of 5+ years + 1 billion+$.
    IselinKyleranBrainyScorchien
    BruceYee said:

I said half a decade ago ...
    Got to love that part.

But just so you know, there's currently some fierce competition here for the title of "Nostradamus of all New World Things." You guys will have to sort it out among yourselves.

Let us know who wins OK?
    Kyleran[Deleted User][Deleted User]
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

― CD PROJEKT RED

• BrainyBrainy Member EpicPosts: 2,038
    Well some people are not being honest about the game and just pimping it.  If you came to this forum to see if this game was any good you would think this game is great based on these White Knights opinions.  But make no mistake they represent a very small margin of real players.

Just looking at some basic numbers.  New world has likely sold over 20mil copies of the game.  Many of which in just a few months since its recent release, likely another another 5mil+ during the holidays.  With all those copies sold they can barely muster up a few hundred thousand users a day to play this game.  This represents only a couple of percent of the buyers.

This game has also lost 90% of its concurrent users since launch, even while selling millions of copies of the game.  So even hardcore players are leaving in droves.  All these buyers are where?  Obviously not playing, they have all packed it in because they recognize this game is garbage right now.  Don't believe the BS these shisters are spewing.  Everyone at end game knows the trash pile this game is, anyone saying differently is full of it.

Many of these people also pimped games like Chronicles of Elyria.  The people they are accusing of being haters are people that played this game to 60 wanting it to be a great MMO, hoping this could revolutionize the genre only to find out they were swindled with a POS game.  Believe these unscrupulous people if you want, you cant say you were not warned.  Look at there track history these White Knighters have been completely wrong the entire time since launch.  The warnings that the real players have been giving since launch have mostly come true while these people just deny it all.

BruceYee
  • BruceYeeBruceYee Member EpicPosts: 2,556
    Brainy said:
    Well some people are not being honest about the game and just pimping it.  If you came to this forum to see if this game was any good you would think this game is great based on these White Knights opinions.  But make no mistake they represent a very small margin of real players.

Just looking at some basic numbers.  New world has likely sold over 20mil copies of the game.  Many of which in just a few months since its recent release, likely another another 5mil+ during the holidays.  With all those copies sold they can barely muster up a few hundred thousand users a day to play this game.  This represents only a couple of percent of the buyers.

This game has also lost 90% of its concurrent users since launch, even while selling millions of copies of the game.  So even hardcore players are leaving in droves.  All these buyers are where?  Obviously not playing, they have all packed it in because they recognize this game is garbage right now.  Don't believe the BS these shisters are spewing.  Everyone at end game knows the trash pile this game is, anyone saying differently is full of it.

Many of these people also pimped games like Chronicles of Elyria.  The people they are accusing of being haters are people that played this game to 60 wanting it to be a great MMO, hoping this could revolutionize the genre only to find out they were swindled with a POS game.  Believe these unscrupulous people if you want, you cant say you were not warned.  Look at there track history these White Knighters have been completely wrong the entire time since launch.  The warnings that the real players have been giving since launch have mostly come true while these people just deny it all.

This is also the first MMO in MMO history that wasn't required to make money from players(customers) which is why all the QA problems exist. When devs aren't required to release a certain level of quality that keeps players from saying "fk this BS" then they end up doing exactly what NW did. They had zero obligation to please the players and it shows in almost every aspect of the game.

Not to make light of a serious situation but I wouldn't doubt if Blizz decided to let their QA staff go after seeing how completely clueless people(players) were when experiencing all of NW's "mistakes" and wondered to themselves why they are paying millions a year in salary when all they need to do is release a AGS-like statement "We made a mistake" then fogetaboutit. In Blizz defense though they'd never even on their worst day make the mistakes AGS did because they aren't bureaucrat devs and many if not all NW mistakes are bad design decisions/poor leadership that were made by people many game studios wouldn't even hire.
    Brainy
  • UtinniUtinni Member EpicPosts: 2,209
    BruceYee said:
    Utinni said:
    Lack of content.

Kano said ^ years ago...

Luv or h8 the guy but he was right about NW years in advance... gotta give him credit for that... right?

Someone said that a game that started as a PvP game then changed directions multiple times, then had multiple beta over multiple years changing again each time would have content issues!? Such a prophet
  • YashaXYashaX Member EpicPosts: 3,098
    Brainy said:

You are so full of shit, seriously.
    KyleranIselinThe_Korrigandragonlee66
  • TokkenTokken Member EpicPosts: 3,549
    I'm still loving the game. It's new and fresh and keeps me coming back for more.  
    Kylerandragonlee66

Proud MMORPG.com member since March 2004!  Make PvE GREAT Again!

• WarWitchWarWitch Member UncommonPosts: 351
    Its a 3 button first-person shooter where u can level to max pvp flaged afk boting the harvest button and walk for long spans of time. Lots of new mmos out with much more complex systems and faster game play. 
    Brainy
  • TheDalaiBombaTheDalaiBomba Member EpicPosts: 1,493
    Arterius said:

Not full of shit this guy breaks down New Worlds entire timeline and how the game is bleeding players right now and even looks at server numbers and stats

Too long didn't watch version. New World has lost 90% of its playerbase and some servers are dead.
    I have to say, that is an extensive review of a metric shit ton of mistakes and bad choices made by AGS.

Copy/pasting entire town layouts.  Sheesh.
    [Deleted User]ItsThatGuy
  • The_KorriganThe_Korrigan Member RarePosts: 3,459
    edited December 2021
    Arterius said:

Not full of shit this guy breaks down New Worlds entire timeline and how the game is bleeding players right now and even looks at server numbers and stats

Too long didn't watch version. New World has lost 90% of its playerbase and some servers are dead.
    I have to say, that is an extensive review of a metric shit ton of mistakes and bad choices made by AGS.

Copy/pasting entire town layouts.  Sheesh.

That's how you make the difference between trolls/haters and honest critics.
    Trolls/haters always use lies and exaggeration. Notably about the "copied" cities.

And that moron critics Avatar (the movie), pretending it didn't generate any cultural effect and following... he should go out of video games more, there's a HUGE following and millions wanting to go back on Pandora. He's talking out of his ass.

So yeah, that guy is full of shit, even if among his blah blah he of course says some true things.

PS: let's list all towns in NW :

First Light: Unique.
    Cutlass Keys: Unique
    Monarch's Bluff: Unique
    Windsward: similar to Mourningdale with the river, but still not the same layout and buildings are different.
    Mourningdale: see above
    Reekwater: VERY Unique
    Weaver's Fen: VERY Unique
    Restless Shore: VERY Unique
    Ebonscale Reach: VERY Unique
    Brightwood: Unique
    Everfall: Unique

Copy/paste is definitely a lie, only some general arrangements are similar, yet the buildings are still very different.

Post edited by The_Korrigan on
    ItsThatGuyKyleran[Deleted User]
    Respect, walk, what did you say?
    Respect, walk
    Are you talkin' to me? Are you talkin' to me?
    - PANTERA at HELLFEST 2023
    Yes, they are back !

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
    It's not like there's just one or two bad reviews here.

The aggregated scores over on meta point to a 70, which is pretty average, and the user scores are even lower.  Even discounting the trolling outliers, it's not good.

Google review average, even worse.

Steam?  Mixed.

The consensus is it's lacking.  This isn't a "it's just haters" situation.  The sentiment is too consistent across too many groups.

[Deleted User]KyleranQuizzicalItsThatGuyBrainy
  • ConstantineMerusConstantineMerus Member EpicPosts: 3,338
    BruceYee said:
    Utinni said:
    Lack of content.

Kano said ^ years ago...

I love him and I miss him. I'm so sad he was gone during my gaming hiatus. He was usually correct about the stuff he said. Remember the time we were all bashing Blizzard for Diablo mobile and not Diablo 4 and he said Diablo 4 is already being made and everyone attacked him? He was right about that too.
    Constantine, The Console Poster

• "One of the most difficult tasks men can perform, however much others may despise it, is the invention of good games and it cannot be done by men out of touch with their instinctive selves." - Carl Jung
  • ScorchienScorchien Member LegendaryPosts: 8,914
    edited December 2021
    Almost Flatlined Now

• QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,348
    Scorchien said:
     Almost Flatlined Now

I suspect that your chart is wrong.  It is highlighting numbers from two weeks in the future.
    For anyone who actually wants to see the actual player count, minute by minute if you want it, no BS you just need this link:

https://newworldstatus.com/

Unfortunately this one has not yet been updated all the way to December 23rd like some others apparently have :)
    TheDalaiBombaThe_Korrigan

― Umberto Eco

― CD PROJEKT RED

edited December 2021
    Quizzical said:
    Scorchien said:
     Almost Flatlined Now

I suspect that your chart is wrong.  It is highlighting numbers from two weeks in the future.

Lol Steam projects forward also .. you ever use Steam ?lol.. It does not change the Facts now does it .. Actually thought you were smarter than that .. hmph go figure..:)
     Fixed  so as not to confuse anyone .. LMFAO
    Iselin said:
    For anyone who actually wants to see the actual player count, minute by minute if you want it, no BS you just need this link:

Unfortunately this one has not yet been updated all the way to December 23rd like some others apparently have :)

Both are pretty fucking Ugly and Grim .. :)
    Kyleran[Deleted User]
  • QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,348
    Scorchien said:
    Quizzical said:
    Scorchien said:
     Almost Flatlined Now

Lol Steam projects forward also .. you ever use Steam ?lol.. It does not change the Facts now does it .. Actually thought you were smarter than that .. hmph go figure..:)
    Projections of the future are not facts.  If you want to cite facts, then site actual facts of historical numbers.
    Kyleran
    Iselin said:

Thanks for posting!

Don't get me wrong, I hope it pulls a No Man's Sky style post-release development path.  The setting is refreshing.  I do think that it is deserving of most of the criticism it is currently receiving, though.
    [Deleted User]Brainy
    edited December 2021
    Quizzical said:
    Scorchien said:
    Quizzical said:
    Scorchien said:
     Almost Flatlined Now

Projections of the future are not facts.  If you want to cite facts, then site actual facts of historical numbers.

lmfao , what a ridiculous joke that is .. Tell Steam that .. By the way there projections are pretty fucking good ..

And it wasnt about the projections to begin with clearly shows the steady heavy  decline ..

Those are FActs .. care to dispute them :)

The entire graph sites actual historical factual numbers .. In case you missed that .. LMFAO cant make this shit up

or just post semantic useless BS
    [Deleted User]Brainy
  • TokkenTokken Member EpicPosts: 3,549
    It'll be interesting to see how many people come back once they merge servers.
    ItsThatGuy

Proud MMORPG.com member since March 2004!  Make PvE GREAT Again!