Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Why did this game get such a crappy review score?

KruulKruul Member UncommonPosts: 482
I'm late to the party but have quite a few friends promoting this game. Why did it get such a crappy score here?
KidRisk

Comments

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498
    edited December 2021
    Who can say, especially since they gave a tired retread, Elyon a much higher score despite listing numerous cons.

I guess it's just trendy to hate on all things Amazon.

Though NW really does have many issues, which the Dev team has been doubling down on recently by nerfing progression, weird.
    KidRisk[Deleted User]AlleineDragonfyre

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• Asm0deusAsm0deus Member EpicPosts: 4,405
    It's not just here it got mixed reviews on steam now too.

The devs are dumb douchenozzles and have decided to piss off 90% of the remaining playerbase.

It;s usually pretty busy even for a low pop server sundays this time in WW on my server and I counted 12 people right now...its dead af and hard to get anything beyond amrine runs done......
    KyleranThe_Korrigan

Brenics ~ Just to point out I do believe Chris Roberts is going down as the man who cheated backers and took down crowdfunding for gaming.

• RemaliRemali Member RarePosts: 914
    Game has the worst questing system for pve and the pvp is not that great either so its fair that it doesnt get high scores
    Kyleran
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

• ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,955
    In a nutshell the game may be worth getting at the end of next year, if you are already playing I leave it to others to explain the situation.
    Kyleran
  • Slapshot1188Slapshot1188 Member LegendaryPosts: 16,983
    Game is a TON of fun in a short term... like a month.  But there are serious gameplay issues being ironed out that will kick in at the end.  If you haven't started yet, I would suggest waiting a bit until they do the server merges and all the inevitable drams from that dies down.

Kyleran[Deleted User]

All time classic  MY NEW FAVORITE POST!  (Keep laying those bricks)

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

Proudly wearing the Harbinger badge since Dec 23, 2017. 

Coined the phrase "Role-Playing a Development Team" January 2018

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498
    tzervo said:

It is frustrating for many. For some it is just the current carcass to feed on. 
    There is always a carcass to feed on for packs of rabids.  
    These packs can exert less influence than attributed to them though. For example, the rabids were set in BDO when it launched as well for a long time, it did just fine and flourished in the end. If a game is fun for its audience, it will do fine and survive on its own merits. If not, it deserves to fizzle.
    People said FO76 was DOA, yet it keeps plugging along with regular content and apparently makes Zenimax / Bethesda good money.

So if it can be salvaged I'm sure NW can / will be too.

As for me, I'll wait until they announce fresh start servers after getting things more stable.

[Deleted User]Scot

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• The_KorriganThe_Korrigan Member RarePosts: 3,459
    120k+ people this time of day is not too bad to be honest

This was a B2P so they already got their money 

The score posted is a fair score I give it a 6.5 out of 10 

I still enjoy the game and do not have nearly as many issues with the game as the rabid pack does. 
    I get it though, the game has had developer setbacks that could have been avoided. 

What I do know is many games lately have come out and had issues both new games and old. Some getting more press and coverage than others. 

Like Myth of Empires was the darling of topic here for a minute and now has been removed from Steam. 

Games have issues. Old and New. 

Some utterly bad decision make it look like they want their game to fail though.
    What they are doing to the watermark system should have been done before release, or during an expansion which includes a level increase with a new tier of gear.

The upcoming winter event is great fun though, tried it quickly on the PTR, and I can't wait to play it.
    Kyleran
    Respect, walk, what did you say?
    Respect, walk
    Are you talkin' to me? Are you talkin' to me?
    - PANTERA at HELLFEST 2023
    Yes, they are back !

• QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,353
    It's not just this site.  Steam recent reviews are 56% positive.  That's with over 33k reviews in the last 30 days, so it's not a small sample size, either.

If you want to make the Elyon comparison as Kyleran did, then recent Steam reviews there are 63% positive, with over 1000 reviews in the last 30 days.  That's not great, either, but it's better than New World.  Rating Elyon as better than New World surely isn't that outlandish of a thing to do if the masses of Steam users do exactly that.
    [Deleted User]ItsThatGuy
  • Asm0deusAsm0deus Member EpicPosts: 4,405
    edited December 2021
    Awesome news everyone!

The BIG change

In early 2022, when we start reducing the effectiveness of gear to your Expertise level, we will **exempt** the following items:

* Any item you craft
    * Any item you earn from a quest
    * Any item you purchase from the faction shop

https://forums.newworld.com/t/dev-blog-end-game-update/619609/5?u=filmoregraves
    The_Korrigan

Brenics ~ Just to point out I do believe Chris Roberts is going down as the man who cheated backers and took down crowdfunding for gaming.

• lahnmirlahnmir Member LegendaryPosts: 5,041
    tzervo said:

These packs can exert less influence than attributed to them though. For example, the rabids were set on BDO when it launched as well for a long time, it did just fine and flourished in the end. If a game is fun for its audience, it will do fine and survive on its own merits. If not, it deserves to fizzle.
    I wonder how “amazing” favorites like Anarchy Online, Ultima Online, Vanguard etc. would have been received in these current times. Those launches, and many, many more, were absolutely disastrous compared to the NW launch, now these games are the “golden” standard.

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir
    IselinThe_Korrigan[Deleted User]
    'the only way he could nail it any better is if he used a cross.'

Kyleran on yours sincerely 

'But there are many. You can play them entirely solo, and even offline. Also, you are wrong by default.'

Ikcin in response to yours sincerely debating whether or not single-player offline MMOs exist...

'This does not apply just to ED but SC or any other game. What they will get is Rebirth/X4, likely prettier but equally underwhelming and pointless. 

It is incredibly difficult to design some meaningfull leg content that would fit a space ship game - simply because it is not a leg game.

It is just huge resource waste....'

Gdemami absolutely not being an armchair developer

edited December 2021
    lahnmir said:
    tzervo said:

These packs can exert less influence than attributed to them though. For example, the rabids were set on BDO when it launched as well for a long time, it did just fine and flourished in the end. If a game is fun for its audience, it will do fine and survive on its own merits. If not, it deserves to fizzle.
    I wonder how “amazing” favorites like Anarchy Online, Ultima Online, Vanguard etc. would have been received in these current times. Those launches, and many, many more, were absolutely disastrous compared to the NW launch, now these games are the “golden” standard.

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir

Yeah some of the same guys who regularly shit on New World are also regularly praising Ultima Online... they probably have long term memory problems, that release was a real disaster with the game totally unplayable for long periods of time.
    Same for Anarchy Online.

New World had its share of problems, but never was unplayable like those two were.

And the bug ridden pile of crap that was Age of Conan...

Respect, walk
    Yes, they are back !

tzervo said:

One must remember that when BDO was released in our countries, it already had years of running in the Asian countries.

And I agree that it's a very good game. Their crafting and housing system is second to none. The combat is also amazing, and quite hard to master.

My reasons for stopping to play it are:
    - Major "pay 2 win" cash grab once you hit the higher levels. I still played a long time with several characters under level 50, and one to max level.
    - I always had problems with the gender locked classes.
    - The graphical design of the world is nothing short of amazing, but the character looks are just too "Asian" for some for my taste. That's why I had problems playing some of the classes, sorry but schoolgirls with big boobs aren't my kind of fantasm.
    Kyleran
    Respect, walk
    Yes, they are back !

• lahnmirlahnmir Member LegendaryPosts: 5,041
    lahnmir said:
    tzervo said:

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir

Yeah some of the same guys who regularly shit on New World are also regularly praising Ultima Online... they probably have long term memory problems, that release was a real disaster with the game totally unplayable for long periods of time.
    Same for Anarchy Online.

New World had its share of problems, but never was unplayable like those two were.

And don’t forget, you actually had to pay a subscription to play these launch disasters too.

Full disclosure; I lived through Anarchy Onlines’ launch and it became one of my favorite games ever.

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir
    The_Korrigan
    'the only way he could nail it any better is if he used a cross.'

Kyleran on yours sincerely 

'But there are many. You can play them entirely solo, and even offline. Also, you are wrong by default.'

Ikcin in response to yours sincerely debating whether or not single-player offline MMOs exist...

'This does not apply just to ED but SC or any other game. What they will get is Rebirth/X4, likely prettier but equally underwhelming and pointless. 

It is incredibly difficult to design some meaningfull leg content that would fit a space ship game - simply because it is not a leg game.

It is just huge resource waste....'

Gdemami absolutely not being an armchair developer

edited December 2021
    lahnmir said:
    lahnmir said:
    tzervo said:

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir

Same for Anarchy Online.

And don’t forget, you actually had to pay a subscription to play these launch disasters too.

Full disclosure; I lived through Anarchy Onlines’ launch and it became one of my favorite games ever.

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir

I loved AO too, but at launch it was really unplayable, between the terrible lag, but also mobs shooting through walls making dungeons unplayable, or stuck in the landscape, rubberbanding... ugh... I remember fighting some mobs in the wilderness and suddenly there were "pulled" miles away from you because they actually were never in front of you at all :D
    I have fond memories of Notum Wars, in my opinion better PvP than DAOC.

WoW had its share of problems too, like being stuck for 5+ minutes in crouched position when trying to loot something... broken auction houses... wasn't perfect by any means.
    Respect, walk
    Yes, they are back !

• LumeriaLumeria Member UncommonPosts: 61
    edited December 2021
    New World is nice to look at and listen to but that is all. 

Too many bugs, glitches and missing QOL features along with the messiest launch even though they had all the data of preorders, testers, accounts sold etc which makes it seem like they really are just in it for the money.

After the two failed games that didn't launch you would think Amazon Game Studios would learn but alas... this studio has so much talent in every department but its spread too thin. 16 million accounts is no joke, if management don't have the instinct to pull everyone capable off other projects to fix one that finally launched then they don't deserve anymore money for any other game imo.

New World should also be listed as a simulator, content is so sparse and it only takes a week to realize what you'll be doing for the rest of your days in Aeternum.

The review score was generous.
  • ScorchienScorchien Member LegendaryPosts: 8,914
    edited December 2021
    lahnmir said:
    tzervo said:

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir

Same for Anarchy Online.

Imagine someone trying to compare the launches of MMOs like UO and AO, by indie Devs during the Dawn of MMOs 25 years ago , to a AAA launch by the wealthiest Corp in all the land 25 years later..The smart kids expect better now .. 

The other kids compare UO and AO launch to NW 25 years later..

We should all strive to not be the other kid ..

It's a weak arguement from a weak mind trying to justify the weak launch of there weak game. 

But like I said before .. The dimmest bulbs in the box need more time to shine enough light on NW to see it for what it is..

You keep on shining Jean Luc Picard , we are rooting for you ..
    BruceYee
  • BrainyBrainy Member EpicPosts: 2,038
    I love how people are still White Knighting the game, but trying not to show it.  Watch them as they go from the game is AMAZING no problems at all they are loving it, to a 6.5 rating review is fair the game is still good.

Oh I love the statement the game is great and is stabilizing at 500k concurrent, then they say everything is great at 120k.  Although these people cant even predict correctly a few days in advance, what a difference a couple of days make.  NW is now down to 58k it seems and still dropping.  How far does it need to go before they wake up that everything is not fine and dandy.

https://steamplayercount.com/app/1063730

But you wont see them admit they were completely wrong and their stupid projections were completely clueless.  Ignorance is bliss.

I am sure in a year from now they will say they predicted its demise all along.

This game is garbage, people who played it early all the way to end game predicted its demise, a few stubborn fanboys are still hanging onto the same rope where the threads are breaking 1 by 1.  How many threads will break before they get a clue?  My guess is all of them.
    BruceYee

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

There's another factor to take into account...

Back then we endured the utterly bad launch of UO because well... there was no competition. And it was the first AAA MMORPG, also based on a world (Ultima) many RPG fans who grew up in the 80s loved.

We endured the disastrously bad launch of AO because it was the only AAA Sci-Fi MMORPG back then. And honestly, beside all the problems, the game had some awesomely fun classes and mechanics (just like... NW actually).

I also disliked ESO at launch, only to try it again after One Tamriel following the advice of a real life friend (not some forum troll), and I loved it then.

It's also really funny to see the same people praising SWG bashing NW... that game had more problems and way less content than NW at release. Long term memory problems ?

NW is definitely not, by far, the worst MMORPG launch ever.
    KyleranIselin
    Respect, walk
    Yes, they are back !

• YashaXYashaX Member EpicPosts: 3,098
    Brainy said:
    I love how people are still White Knighting the game, but trying not to show it.  Watch them as they go from the game is AMAZING no problems at all they are loving it, to a 6.5 rating review is fair the game is still good.

Oh I love the statement the game is great and is stabilizing at 500k concurrent, then they say everything is great at 120k.  Although these people cant even predict correctly a few days in advance, what a difference a couple of days make.  NW is now down to 58k it seems and still dropping.  How far does it need to go before they wake up that everything is not fine and dandy.

But you wont see them admit they were completely wrong and their stupid projections were completely clueless.  Ignorance is bliss.

This game is garbage, people who played it early all the way to end game predicted its demise, a few stubborn fanboys are still hanging onto the same rope where the threads are breaking 1 by 1.  How many threads will break before they get a clue?  My guess is all of them.
    Is saying you like the game "white knighting"?

I think the game is great and compared to other mmos I have played would give it an 8/10 or something like that. It still has lots of room for improvement, but I pretty much feel that about any mmo I play. 

[Deleted User]
  • BrainyBrainy Member EpicPosts: 2,038
    YashaX said:
    Brainy said:

Is saying you like the game "white knighting"?

I think the game is great and compared to other mmos I have played would give it an 8/10 or something like that. It still has lots of room for improvement, but I pretty much feel that about any mmo I play. 

No liking a game in itself is not white knighting.

To me White Knighting is to completely ignore obvious problems and say they are perfectly fine.  Like saying the game is stabilizing at 500k concurrent players when clearly the problems are causing it to lose customers hand over fist.  What about saying all these massive problems are completely normal.  Or that this game will be fixed in a few weeks when clearly the Dev team has no clue how to solve complex end game problems.

I thought the game was pretty good up until level 30, and decent up to 60.  Denying that endgame after 60 doesn't have massive problems is definitely White Knighting.

If you like the game even with the massive duping, exploits, miscellaneous problems, lack of endgame, and lack of players then good for you.  Lets not let people deny these problems as legitimate issues that the vast majority of players are experiencing.

I have had games where it only has 20 hours of content.  It was still worth it for me to play, but I am not denying the lack of content either for others that have an issue with it.

BruceYeeYashaX
  • UtinniUtinni Member EpicPosts: 2,209
    Lack of content.
  • BruceYeeBruceYee Member EpicPosts: 2,556
    Utinni said:
    Lack of content.

Kano said ^ years ago...

Luv or h8 the guy but he was right about NW years in advance... gotta give him credit for that... right?
    IselinBrainyOldKingLog