Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

German Developer NUKKLEAR Is Partnering With Funcom On Upcoming Dune MMO | MMORPG.com

SystemSystem Member UncommonPosts: 12,599
edited December 2021 in News & Features Discussion

imageGerman Developer NUKKLEAR Is Partnering With Funcom On Upcoming Dune MMO | MMORPG.com

Remember Dune? No, not the HBO one, but the one being made by Funcom? Looks like they are getting some help in the form of German developer NUKKLEAR to work on the upcoming Dune survival MMO.

Read the full story here

Comments

• TillerTiller Member LegendaryPosts: 11,167
    This was asked for years ago, we've all moved on.

j/k good news I guess?
    Agent_Joseph
    SWG Bloodfin vet
    Elder Jedi/Elder Bounty Hunter

• emperorhades1emperorhades1 Member UncommonPosts: 310
    Great, you are only going to be allowed 40 people per zone. We will have pvp, but you are either in the guild with 34 online or you are toast.
    ScotLark3m[Deleted User]
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

• IceAgeIceAge Member EpicPosts: 3,120
    Survival and MMO in the same sentence?

Please ...

Reporter: What's behind Blizzard success, and how do you make your gamers happy?
    Blizzard Boss: Making gamers happy is not my concern, making money.. yes!

• XAleX360XAleX360 Member UncommonPosts: 516
    Sadly won't be a full-fleged MMO.
    ScotPuReDusTAgent_JosephFedayginsaker

Executive Editor (Games) http://www.wccftech.com

• MalathoosMalathoos Member UncommonPosts: 199
    Welp looking at Nukklear's site. I am much more interested in Neocron 3 than dune. I mean if they are going with the same plan as Conan, i am not interested. Now if they are moving towards a Anarchy online feel, I would be all in. Just have a feeling its going to be a conan reskin. With so many factions and plan within plans (hehe) in the dune world, I don't think they will be able to nail it.
    ValdheimKaylessFedaygin[Deleted User]

• DarkpigeonDarkpigeon Member UncommonPosts: 55
    Funcom? Aww nuts.
    TillerValdheimMr.GutsyFedaygin
  • AeanderAeander Member LegendaryPosts: 7,838
    Lost me at "survival." My patience meter ran out trying to manage my hunger, thirst, sleep, sexual frustration, mental health, and stamina meters.
    Fedaygin[Deleted User]
  • IosevusIosevus Member UncommonPosts: 16
    I mean, I'm interested, but I'm not holding my breath.
    If they make a carbon copy survival game in the Dune universe, I'll pass.. but I'm not sure how you could actually do that unless it's not set on Arakkis, at which point why bother. So if they make something really new to the genre with a Dune setting, I'm in.
    Either way, all these companies need to freaking stop labelling everything with a hint of multiplayer an MMO.
    ValdheimFedaygin[Deleted User]
  • OldKingLogOldKingLog Member RarePosts: 567
    Oooh, I've always wanted a survival MMO where my character soils himself in his very own stillsuit ....

ValdheimSabbythFedayginsaker[Deleted User]
  • ValdheimValdheim Member RarePosts: 614

Malathoos said:

Welp looking at Nukklear's site. I am much more interested in Neocron 3 than dune. I mean if they are going with the same plan as Conan, i am not interested. Now if they are moving towards a Anarchy online feel, I would be all in. Just have a feeling its going to be a conan reskin. With so many factions and plan within plans (hehe) in the dune world, I don't think they will be able to nail it.

I was kinda confused when you mentioned Neocron 3 (which I'd also love to be a thing!), visited Nukklears website and only then realized that is basically the only Reakktor Media rebranded.

At least they have some MMO experience so this might be a good thing for this Dune game.
    Fedaygin
  • ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,992
    Ahh well maybe in ten years something will launch other than another survival MMO. :)
    Fedaygin[Deleted User]
  • DrewgDrewg Member UncommonPosts: 97
    Will there be bar fights and sex buffs?
  • olepiolepi Member EpicPosts: 2,829
    edited December 2021
    Two comments, the first "M" in MMO means 1,000. Will there be 1,000 people in the same zone at the same time?

"Survival" is code for "no content".

Fedaygin[Deleted User]

------------
    2024: 47 years on the Net.

• laseritlaserit Member LegendaryPosts: 7,591
    Looks like many people’s wish is coming to fruition.

I have deep reservations on the quality of the product, I’m sure the artwork will be spectacular.
    Fedaygin

"Be water my friend" - Bruce Lee

• eoloeeoloe Member RarePosts: 864
    Dune is a great boardgame.

As a MMO, I don't know how they are going to recreate the atmosphere of intrigues that makes this franchise so great.

If it is just vehicle combat over a spice spot until the worm comes, I'll pass.

If the setting is only Arrakis... Well, I love desert settings IRL, but in-game it sounds really boring... The great thing about Exile was the various available biomes.

Even Skyrim managed to implement good variations in their mountainy geography.
    SabbythFedaygin
  • kjempffkjempff Member RarePosts: 1,759

Tiller said:

This was asked for years ago, we've all moved on.

j/k good news I guess?

Hehe well I think they did start years ago. I remember a bunch of job posting at FunCom for "an unanounced mmo".. This was as far as I remember back in 18.
    Fedaygin
  • rosepetal870rosepetal870 Member UncommonPosts: 77
    Long list of funcom failures .i have stopped looking at their games
    SabbythAlomar
  • AdokaumAdokaum Member UncommonPosts: 84
    Why does it have to be funcom? Can they stop ruining good franchises with their complete incompetence and mediocrity?

It must be nice existing solely on the subsidies of the Norwegian government and recycling "content" for a stable pay check... Please, just put them out of our misery.
    FedayginAlomar
  • AkulasAkulas Member RarePosts: 3,007
    Only ever played Dune 3 from Westwood Studios in 2001. People were wanting an MMORPG of it back then too. Nothing ever came from it. Now the next generation can want an MMORPG of it too.
    Fedaygin

This isn't a signature, you just think it is.

• MensurMensur Member EpicPosts: 1,515
    I am so tired of the word Survival in mmos...
    SabbythFedaygin[Deleted User]

mmorpg junkie since 1999

• sakersaker Member RarePosts: 1,458
    I don't really see how this would work and actually be fun. I remember talk of a Dune MMO loooooong years ago, don't think it ever got further then then concept artwork, something about the player as one of the "houses" and there would be the houses in conflict over the Empire and presumably Arrakis as the most important planet? Doubt it was a at-all serious effort though.
  • XAleX360XAleX360 Member UncommonPosts: 516
    saker said:
    I don't really see how this would work and actually be fun. I remember talk of a Dune MMO loooooong years ago, don't think it ever got further then then concept artwork, something about the player as one of the "houses" and there would be the houses in conflict over the Empire and presumably Arrakis as the most important planet? Doubt it was a at-all serious effort though.
    You don't see how a survival game could be made with Arrakis as the setting?

Executive Editor (Games) http://www.wccftech.com

• The_KorriganThe_Korrigan Member RarePosts: 3,459
    edited December 2021
    This is honestly thrilling in idea but I have serious reservations on their ability to pull it off and make it great.
    I really wish Funcom did not land the Conan and the Dune franchises

That, and I don't really see how this can end well while staying true to the lore.
    I mean, any Fremen villager is as good at combat as a Ginaz school sword master... how are they going to deal with that ? Or will the game be only about random Fremen surviving on Arrakis ? Sounds boring to me.
    We'll see, but I have serious doubt about this game ending to really be a "Dune" game. And it's Funcom...

Let's wait and see !
    Respect, walk, what did you say?
    Respect, walk
    Are you talkin' to me? Are you talkin' to me?
    - PANTERA at HELLFEST 2023
    Yes, they are back !

• AeanderAeander Member LegendaryPosts: 7,838
    olepi said:
    Two comments, the first "M" in MMO means 1,000. Will there be 1,000 people in the same zone at the same time?

An outdated and oft debated definition made by people who have long ceased to be relevant in the MMO sphere.
    Alomar