Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

New World PTR Update Confirms Winter Event and Adds Some Controversial Changes to Progression | MMOR

2»

Comments

• IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    Asm0deus said:
    Iselin said:
    Asm0deus said:
    ...snip...
    Neither doubting nor believing that but to be clear, that's a comparison of datamined stuff from the current and PTR executables.

If accurate they have some explaining to do.

previous datamined stuff has been pretty darn accurate baring last minute changes.

Oh those gypsum cast garunteed watermak upgrade...cost 575g to make!
    Yup. Pretty well confirmed in the PTR patch notes minus the math and with added spin for why they did it:

Tuned down the general chances of getting an Expertise bump to compensate for the guaranteed bumps that were added with Gypsum.

https://forums.newworld.com/t/december-ptr-patch-notes/622811

OldKingLogAsm0deus[Deleted User]
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• OldKingLogOldKingLog Member RarePosts: 564
    Iselin said:
    Asm0deus said:
    Iselin said:
    Asm0deus said:
    ...snip...
    Neither doubting nor believing that but to be clear, that's a comparison of datamined stuff from the current and PTR executables.

previous datamined stuff has been pretty darn accurate baring last minute changes.

Yup. Pretty well confirmed in the PTR patch notes minus the math and with added spin for why they did it:

Tuned down the general chances of getting an Expertise bump to compensate for the guaranteed bumps that were added with Gypsum.

Bleh. This is reminding me of the horrible jewelry crafting system in ESO.
    Iselin
    edited December 2021
    Iselin said:
    Asm0deus said:
    Iselin said:
    Asm0deus said:
    ...snip...

That was actually the straw that broke the camel's back for me in ESO. Leaving the game was not a huge deal, I was probably just bored with the game at that point having subbed since release, but the sheer idiocy of making jewelry crafting extra grindy - initially 10 times the grind (although I hear they toned it down a bit since then) compared to all the other gear slots, for no good reason other than it was new and hadn't been implemented along with all the other gear crafting at release, just offended me lol.

I have only ever played ESO very casually since. It hasn't even been installed on my HD for nearly a year.

ScotThe_KorriganYashaX
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

― CD PROJEKT RED

Well at least they seem to be getting their heads out of their ass with respect to the cost of Gypsum crafting:

Thank you for your participation and feedback about the Gypsum system! We hear you on the coin cost associated with crafting Gypsum Orbs and Casts, and because of your feedback, we will dramatically lower the coin costs before the feature hits the live game.
    Asm0deus

― Umberto Eco

― CD PROJEKT RED

• ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,981
    For me this confirms AGS is making new stuff a priority before making the game more stable and bug free. It is quite possible depending on when they start mergers that the Winter Event gets put back as the mergers cause totally foreseeable issues and when it does occur Xmas pressies will get duped.

What does 'winter event' refer to anyway...snow? They cant mention it is religious, festive or even a holiday now? :)
  • samvenicesamvenice Member UncommonPosts: 153
    And we got Lost Ark, perfectly ready for release and already localized (like all those westerners playing on RU server can confirm), artificially delayed by AGS so they can launch this "thing".
    Scot
    edited December 2021
    samvenice said:
    And we got Lost Ark, perfectly ready for release and already localized (like all those westerners playing on RU server can confirm), artificially delayed by AGS so they can launch this "thing".
    We can't be sure that's the case, but if LA is launched and players see hardly any changes, which now seems likely we can be sure.
  • MensurMensur Member EpicPosts: 1,514

Asm0deus said:

Eh apparently Smedley works at AGS now...........

He currently is the general manager of newly opened Amazon Game Studios San Diego.

There are some rumors that they are fiddling with a remake of EQ 1 - Makes sense to have him and his ponytail there. :-)

mmorpg junkie since 1999

• The_KorriganThe_Korrigan Member RarePosts: 3,459
    edited December 2021
    Scot said:
    For me this confirms AGS is making new stuff a priority before making the game more stable and bug free. It is quite possible depending on when they start mergers that the Winter Event gets put back as the mergers cause totally foreseeable issues and when it does occur Xmas pressies will get duped.

What does 'winter event' refer to anyway...snow? They cant mention it is religious, festive or even a holiday now? :)

Gonna make it short for you.

The winter event is great. Simply great. Tested it on the PTR and I love it. The game (any game) needs more events like that one. I'm definitely going to play that one despite the other changes, because it's the kind of fun content this game needs, even if it's the last thing I do in this game.

Everything else in that patch sucks. Not that I disagree with the expertise system, it's a better system than the previous chest grind, much better, but this belongs to a level cap increase in an expansion, not a patch in a game already bleeding players. I've spent a lot of gold on the AH (TP) to gear up at 60, and leveled my crafting to make my own gear, just for it to be completely negated by a new grind ? Sorry, but then I'm out.

If that goes live, the game is dead.
    Asm0deusTokken
    Respect, walk, what did you say?
    Respect, walk
    Are you talkin' to me? Are you talkin' to me?
    - PANTERA at HELLFEST 2023
    Yes, they are back !

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,505
    Iselin said:
    Iselin said:
    Asm0deus said:
    Iselin said:
    Asm0deus said:
    ...snip...

That was actually the straw that broke the camel's back for me in ESO. Leaving the game was not a huge deal, I was probably just bored with the game at that point having subbed since release, but the sheer idiocy of making jewelry crafting extra grindy - initially 10 times the grind (although I hear they toned it down a bit since then) compared to all the other gear slots, for no good reason other than it was new and hadn't been implemented along with all the other gear crafting at release, just offended me lol.

I have only ever played ESO very casually since. It hasn't even been installed on my HD for nearly a year.

Funny story, I started ESO 9 months ago, and one of my two characters is nearing 6 months old, both have been training up all crafting lines pretty much since they were created.

Guess which crafting skill line both are nearly finished training up fully, including all traits?  Yep, Jewelry crafting.

I've got 12 says left on the first to be completely done training jewelry, while the second will still have a month or so left to get his final two necklace traits.

Meanwhile there are no other core craft lines (woodworking, metal or cloth) where I have all traits trained up on every weapon or armor piece, mostly because there is just so darn many of them, especially in the latter two.

Woodworking will be the next one both characters max out at, seeing it has far fewer items to train, while cloth will probably be last since it covers both leather and cloth armor items.

Nevermind the huge number of availabile styles, those are prit near endless from where I'm sitting, and new ones are released or sold in the cash shop regularly.

Its become clear to me, ESO's real end game is crafting, particularly furniture crafting which I've yet to dabble in.

TokkenYashaX

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

Kyleran said:
    Iselin said:
    Iselin said:
    Asm0deus said:
    Iselin said:
    Asm0deus said:
    ...snip...

Funny story, I started ESO 9 months ago, and one of my two characters is nearing 6 months old, both have been training up all crafting lines pretty much since they were created.

Guess which crafting skill line both are nearly finished training up fully, including all traits?  Yep, Jewelry crafting.

I've got 12 says left on the first to be completely done training jewelry, while the second will still have a month or so left to get his final two necklace traits.

Meanwhile there are no other core craft lines (woodworking, metal or cloth) where I have all traits trained up on every weapon or armor piece, mostly because there is just so darn many of them, especially in the latter two.

Woodworking will be the next one both characters max out at, seeing it has far fewer items to train, while cloth will probably be last since it covers both leather and cloth armor items.

Nevermind the huge number of availabile styles, those are prit near endless from where I'm sitting, and new ones are released or sold in the cash shop regularly.

Its become clear to me, ESO's real end game is crafting, particularly furniture crafting which I've yet to dabble in.

I have all crafts maxed including jewelry. Leveling crafting in ESO (other than the time-gating for traits research) is low effort, simple and designed for self-sufficiency.

My issue with jewelry wasn't so much the amount of extra grind for materials but simply that there is nothing so unique or powerful about jewelry crafting that in any way deserves to be carved out for a special extra grind with the 10-1 dust to ounces system (it was 10-1 when introduced - no idea what it currently is) and low returns for deconstructing items.

It was a nonsensical, tacked on, extra grind that jewelry doesn't deserve. The crafted items that deserve special treatment, if any do, would logically be weapons since the pay-off for crafted weapons is greater than any other slot.

I found jewelry crafting's introduction offensive not because the grind was too much - it isn't - but simply because there is nothing about it that justifies that extra grind compared to all other gear slot crafting.

It was introduced several years after all other gear crafting was and was made different for no good reason. It was that "no good reason" part that I found idiotic.
    The_KorriganKyleranYashaX

― Umberto Eco

― CD PROJEKT RED

Scot said:

Gonna make it short for you.

The winter event is great. Simply great. Tested it on the PTR and I love it. The game (any game) needs more events like that one. I'm definitely going to play that one despite the other changes, because it's the kind of fun content this game needs, even if it's the last thing I do in this game.

Everything else in that patch sucks. Not that I disagree with the expertise system, it's a better system than the previous chest grind, much better, but this belongs to a level cap increase in an expansion, not a patch in a game already bleeding players. I've spent a lot of gold on the AH (TP) to gear up at 60, and leveled my crafting to make my own gear, just for it to be completely negated by a new grind ? Sorry, but then I'm out.

If that goes live, the game is dead.
    I can't comment on the difficulty changes, that's really hard to judge if you are not in the game. Time will tell with the Winter Event, if it goes splendidly great, but what has happened so far does not give me confidence, even if it went well on the test sever.
  • hayes303hayes303 Member UncommonPosts: 430
    Every single thing this team does seems like a stall. They nerf the hell out of every form of progression, from crafting to gear lvling to buy time. I think they were caught flat footed by how fast people ripped through the pathetic amount of end game content they had and now have doubled down on the grind (tedium) to buy a bit of time.

When they aren't throwing barriers in front of their playbase, they are adding incentives for people to flag up for pvp, hoping players make their own endgame. That won't work as the pvp in this game is super low stakes. The wars and invasions are janky as hell and gated behind the governor of the company running the territory picking you (companys have 100 players, 50 get to play so its pretty much just the cool kids who get to do them).

I loved the game in open and closed beta, liked it at launch, but every single patch it gets significantly worse. If this is how they try to stretch out the content, they should have kept it in the oven for at least a year.
  • angerbeaverangerbeaver Member UncommonPosts: 1,259
    Well I was using New World to kill time until Elden Ring, but I would rather just kill cows in Diablo 2. I enjoyed NW quite a bit at first. Only got to 50, so never got to end game, but it just got to be boring even leveling up.

I don't even know what this Watermark stuff is, but hopefully it works out for you guys in the long run.
    Iselin said:
    Kyleran said:
    Iselin said:
    Iselin said:
    Asm0deus said:
    Iselin said:
    Asm0deus said:
    ...snip...

My issue with jewelry wasn't so much the amount of extra grind for materials but simply that there is nothing so unique or powerful about jewelry crafting that in any way deserves to be carved out for a special extra grind with the 10-1 dust to ounces system (it was 10-1 when introduced - no idea what it currently is) and low returns for deconstructing items.

You still wouldn't be happy as this ratio hasn't changed, in fact obtaining gold mats is bad in all crafts, but worst of all in jewelry probably because it doesn't have hirelings to provide rare mats like the other big three do.

As such upgrading jewelry from purple to gold is stupidily expensive, and rarely do you have all the mats you need on your own.  Even purple can be quite expensive which is just ridiculous but there we are.

YashaX

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• Asm0deusAsm0deus Member EpicPosts: 4,407
    edited December 2021
    Kyleran said:
    Asm0deus said:
    Eh apparently Smedley works at AGS now...........

He currently is the general manager of newly opened Amazon Game Studios San Diego.

Old news, (since 2017) and has been stated by many to not be working on NW, rather his studio may be working on a new space title, but no actual confirmation on what that is.

Wasn't old news to me but then I don't spend as much time in here and spend lots more time actually playing my games!
    [Deleted User]

Brenics ~ Just to point out I do believe Chris Roberts is going down as the man who cheated backers and took down crowdfunding for gaming.

Kyleran said:

As such upgrading jewelry from purple to gold is stupidily expensive, and rarely do you have all the mats you need on your own.  Even purple can be quite expensive which is just ridiculous but there we are.

I long ago gave stopped upgrading everything to gold. The weapons, yes. but everything else I kept purple.

― Umberto Eco

― CD PROJEKT RED

Iselin said:
    Kyleran said:

I long ago gave stopped upgrading everything to gold. The weapons, yes. but everything else I kept purple.
    Hrmm, I've been told you don't get any bonuses from gold items unless every item in the set is gold.

All of my builds incorporate the weapons along with armor or jewelry pieces, as at least one ring slot has to be reserved for the orange items such as Ring of the Wild Hunt or Pale Order.

edited December 2021
    Kyleran said:
    Iselin said:
    Kyleran said:

Hrmm, I've been told you don't get any bonuses from gold items unless every item in the set is gold.

All of my builds incorporate the weapons along with armor or jewelry pieces, as at least one ring slot has to be reserved for the orange items such as Ring of the Wild Hunt or Pale Order.

No that's not true. You can mix and match the quality of items on any set and you get the appropriate bonus per piece,

Edit - This is how it works:

https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/443721/mechanics-article-item-quality-and-its-effect-on-the-computation-of-set-bonus-value
    Post edited by Iselin on

― Umberto Eco

― CD PROJEKT RED

edited December 2021

Finally got around to installing the PTR client and I have to agree. I'm not a fan of these events but they've done an outstanding job with the Winter event, how it progresses and the rewards with a great mix of cosmetics, housing items and actual useful gear for different level ranges.

At one point I was wondering where to find Gleamite and then heard a sound, looked up and saw a blue meteorite that exploded quite near me spreading a pile of nodes in a wide area. I wasn't expecting that - thought it would just be like the lost presents that spawn like everything else spawns. The meteorite was an awesome touch.
    The_KorriganOldKingLogTokken[Deleted User]

― Umberto Eco

― CD PROJEKT RED

• OldKingLogOldKingLog Member RarePosts: 564
    Iselin said:

Finally got around to installing the PTR client and I have to agree. I'm not a fan of these events but they've done an outstanding job with the Winter event, how it progresses and the rewards with a great mix of cosmetics, housing items and actual useful gear for different level ranges.

At one point I was wondering where to find Gleamite and then heard a sound, looked up and saw a blue meteorite that exploded quite near me spreading a pile of nodes in a wide area. I wasn't expecting that - thought it would just be like the lost presents that spawn like everything else spawns. The meteorite was an awesome touch.

Well nice to hear its not a catastrophic disaster, unlike pretty much everything else they've done which has had about the same impact on the game world as a giant meteor normally has on the real world ecosystem.
  • TokkenTokken Member EpicPosts: 3,551
    edited December 2021
    I heard a  rumor from Damone Kim chat channel that servers are gonna merge this week?  Anyone have any solid information on that?

[Deleted User]

Proud MMORPG.com member since March 2004!  Make PvE GREAT Again!

Tokken said:
    I heard a  rumor from Damone Kim chat channel that servers are gonna merge this week?  Anyone have any solid information on that?
    They have 2 servers scheduled to merge on Wednesday. Guinea pigs I guess :)

https://forums.newworld.com/t/notice-server-merge-mardi-and-brittia-central-eu/622867

Tokken[Deleted User]

― Umberto Eco

― CD PROJEKT RED

• TokkenTokken Member EpicPosts: 3,551
    edited December 2021
    Insight on the changes.... regarding Endgame.

[Deleted User]Iselin

Proud MMORPG.com member since March 2004!  Make PvE GREAT Again!

Tokken said:
    Insight on the changes.... regarding Endgame.

I think he's not emphasizing enough the significant nerfs to two major end-game grinds that are currently an alternative and won't be any longer once per slot expertise governs the effectiveness of worn gear come 2022, the crafting grind and the gold grind.

High end crafters, who put in just as many hours grinding crafts as players who grind end game elite and chest runs or OPR, and casual players who get good drops and sell those drops and/or play the AH are essentially being told that their way of playing is no longer valid.

End game gear progressions are typically gated in most MMOs, including NW, by the simple bind on pick up system that makes it so that difficult content must be done in order to get that better gear. What they're doing here is applying the same thinking to the BOE loot drops which can be traded and worse, to crafted gear.

Games that use the BOP system to reward and wall-off high end content play (raids, dungeons, PvP, etc.) still keep crafting and gold acquisition as legitimate end game activities by providing gear you can get that way that is nearly as good as the BOP gear from end game activities. This new system is heavy handed in forcing the end game PvE activities on everyone if they want to take advantage of buying GS 600 crafted gear and having it act fully as GS 600 gear not to mention killing off the market for selling high end gear except to the small percentage of players who can take advantage of it fully. Why on earth would I but GS 600 gear for a slot if my expertise for that slot is 540?

Other modern games, like ESO for example, don't put all of their end game progression in the one gear basket as they're doing here. This, IMO, is the main and glaring problem for NW. They could just as easily also add progression to weapon leveling beyond the current 20 levels - either using the same skills and passives trees they already use or through some more granular long term system as ESO does with champion points. They wouldn't even need to go into it to the same extent that ESO does with their complex system - just a simple post 60 system that empowers your weapon by fractions of a % would do the trick or, simpler yet, a system that lets you get more stat points post-60 at some lower rate than when you leveled 1-60. They could even adjust it easily as they wish by giving their chosen content they want to incentivize, bigger chunks of post-max level advancement.

It's ironic that they are also in fact doing this for crafting beyond the 200 level max with a slow progression, using the same crafting level wheel system, that gives them end game mat caches as they progress on an endless loop through the post-200 level wheel.

Anyway, that's my take on this change.
    SKlTZO

― Umberto Eco

― CD PROJEKT RED