Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

MMO ReReoll - EVE Online | MMORPG.com

SystemSystem Member UncommonPosts: 12,599
edited December 2021 in News & Features Discussion

imageMMO ReReoll - EVE Online | MMORPG.com

Mitch is back with his latest MMO ReRoll column, this time tackling the sci-fi MMO, EVE Online.

Read the full story here

Comments

• mysticmousemysticmouse Member UncommonPosts: 146
    its just so damn boring
    Agent_JosephIceAge
  • ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,955
    edited December 2021
    No score for this one? I do realise the scores are not a great guide and its better to actually read the article if you are thinking of joining up. But they do give some idea of an overall impression.

"That same sense of community I found in-game carries over to the real world." This is what you so rarely find in MMORPG's today it is either players calling each other a potato head ( :) ) for not being quick enough or no communication what so ever.
  • PuiuPuiu Newbie CommonPosts: 8
    edited December 2021

its just so damn boring

It all depends on with whom you play with. Eve Online is at its core a social game.

More people need to give it a try. Once you find the right corporation you'll naturally find the game to be much better since many of its gameplay mechanics encourage these kind of interactions.
    Valdheim[Deleted User]KyleranAgent_JosephIceAge
  • SplattrSplattr Member RarePosts: 543

Scot said:

No score for this one? I do realise the scores are not a great guide and its better to actually read the article if you are thinking of joining up. But they do give some idea of an overall impression.

"That same sense of community I found in-game carries over to the real world." This is what you so rarely find in MMORPG's today it is either players calling each other a potato head ( :) ) for not being quick enough or no communication what so ever.

The MMO Reroll never has a review score. It's not a true indepth look at a game, just some guy rambling about stuff and trying to figure out what MMO would be fun to play right now.
    KyleranScot
  • TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,751
    its just so damn boring

I was trying to think of a way that would make Eve better for me, and I really couldn't come up with anything....It just is not my cup of tea, and when you factor in a hostile environment (and community), then it just was not going to click for me ever.
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498
    its just so damn boring

I was trying to think of a way that would make Eve better for me, and I really couldn't come up with anything....It just is not my cup of tea, and when you factor in a hostile environment (and community), then it just was not going to click for me ever.
    Well, that and really requires a sub, which as I recall you don't care paying for.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• SplitStream13SplitStream13 Member UncommonPosts: 250
    edited December 2021

Puiu said:

its just so damn boring

It all depends on with whom you play with. Eve Online is at its core a social game.

More people need to give it a try. Once you find the right corporation you'll naturally find the game to be much better since many of its gameplay mechanics encourage these kind of interactions.

Even a turd is fun with friends, or as you say, the right people. So that's very weird position to keep.

I'm not saying EVE is trash, but the reality is, it's not everybody's cup of tea.
    Kyleran
  • PoorOld_GamerGentPoorOld_GamerGent Member UncommonPosts: 25
    Splattr said:
    The MMO Reroll never has a review score.
    I believe Scot meant the chart at the end, about how you rate the experience compared to the roster before. For me it also was interesting to see which games' ReRolls knock CO down from the podium :)

With that backstory, EVE was a good pick, considering the offline skill learning. Through that, even while playing Elyon you also progressed in EVE, at least in a sense.

I ain't an expert in this one admittedly, haven't been there in years (would be more like Kyleran's role to give a longer review), but my experience and conclusion was similar to yours.

The newbie help (tutorial mission chains, etc.) wasn't there in 2005, so don't beat yourself too much on not giving it a real chance... my own first time was with friends helping and explaining, still I've left after a month.
    When I went back, after the Agency was added (2017? 2018?), and it indeed helped a lot, not just by the guiding, but also with the structure and the involvement. Stayed that time for more than a year I believe.

The character creator really is good, and really is only for a mugshot, so the "overkill" ain't an overstatement there.
    F2p (alpha clones) is perfectly enough for a new player, especially with a limited timeframe, it's fairly hard to reach the skill caps within a month of play.
    When a longer playtime is planned, I agree with Kyleran above, Omega is kinda required...

No reason to fear death? Bah, we laugh into the face of death... Death ain't the issue, the ISK loss is :) 
    Likewise, painting and customising the ship would be an unnecessary feature, with they're blown to pieces shortly after you undock...

At least that was the case in the beginning, and 3 years ago too, in my experience, though with a lesser extent. Community was more helpful the second time (maybe due to the lower population), but still was among the most toxic places I've seen in the genre, only topped by other full-on pvp titles.

Splattr said:
    "Star Wars: The Old Republic? Lord of the Rings Online? Everquest 2? All three are MMOs I want to revisit"
    (from the article)
    I used to suggest AoC, but those are some neat ReRoll candidates as well.
    SWTOR just got the class role - class story separation with the combat styles, LotRO just got Gundabad, and EQ2 just got Vetrovia.

But ofc for a ReRoll (with a new character) none of the latter two would matter much... SWTOR on the other hand is in the perfect spot now for a new character experience with this change.
    ScotKyleran[Deleted User]
  • Viper482Viper482 Member LegendaryPosts: 4,064

Puiu said:

its just so damn boring

Even a turd is fun with friends

I don't even want to ask what you and your friends do with a turd on a Friday night.
    [Deleted User]Kyleran
    Make MMORPG's Great Again!