Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Mortal Online 2 Opens Preorders With New Gameplay Trailer and a New Closed Beta Event Roadmap | MMOR

SystemSystem Member UncommonPosts: 12,599
edited November 2021 in News & Features Discussion

imageMortal Online 2 Opens Preorders With New Gameplay Trailer and a New Closed Beta Event Roadmap | MMORPG.com

Mortal Online 2 will be out on January 25th, and there's both a new gameplay trailer showing off the progress the development team has made, and the official opening of preorders. With closed beta access included, the roadmap to launch includes some special events.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Slapshot1188Slapshot1188 Member LegendaryPosts: 16,985
    In the absence of the real territory control and siege system, the game is just a gank box. This game NEEDED that basic/core functionality at launch. Without it, the game is just bands of murderers roaming around like the Crypts and Bloods.
    Viper482velimiriusRoinPuReDusTCadizgastovski1TwistedSister77qomaTacticalZombehKyleranand 1 other.

All time classic  MY NEW FAVORITE POST!  (Keep laying those bricks)

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

Proudly wearing the Harbinger badge since Dec 23, 2017. 

Coined the phrase "Role-Playing a Development Team" January 2018

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

• ShutaraShutara Member UncommonPosts: 140
    Can't deny - the trailer looks damn awesome, especially those bosses. But I bet they are quite scripted with those impaling/throwing player around and they are instanced/repeatable. If I'm wrong, feel free to correct me since I haven't been following the development that closely so far.

One thing that worries me, though. $25 for the game, $14/mo for being able to play at all. A bit steep price trajectory for a game that's fate is yet to be decided. And yes, I know it's probably the best model for prolonging the game development and keeping it entertaining and devoid of p2w elements or cash shop at all. Most of my worries come from having less and less time to invest with more and more games being released every year.

Despite all ambitiousness around this project and how cool it looks on trailers, the thought of paying around 150-180 bucks to have a year's access to the servers whilst not being able to squeeze more than 1~2 hours daily to play guts the mood a bit, yet from another perspective it's about the price of 3 triple-A titles shipped on release, which is well, fine price? Depends on a genre, though. I mean, lowering it by a third to $10 would probably convince more people with less money/time to spare.

But that's just me being used to buy-to-play/f2p models, I guess.
    GrandpaDJ
  • sammikinssammikins Newbie CommonPosts: 5
    I was heavily invested in the development of the first Mortal Online, I was disappointed that it failed. This sequel has promise, but we'll see. I don't necessarily mind paying the premium for the subscription fee, but it seems subscriptions are becoming an outmoded idea today.

If my subscription will help keep the game on a steady development cycle, though, I don't necessarily mind it.

Here's hoping for the best for this game. Cheers!

SovrathScot
  • Viper482Viper482 Member LegendaryPosts: 4,065

In the absence of the real territory control and siege system, the game is just a gank box. This game NEEDED that basic/core functionality at launch. Without it, the game is just bands of murderers roaming around like the Crypts and Bloods.

Agreed. I can't stand PvP without purpose. Just play a MOBA.
    Slapshot1188Kyleran
    Make MMORPG's Great Again!
  • grumbagzgrumbagz Member UncommonPosts: 35
    edited November 2021

Shutara said:

Can't deny - the trailer looks damn awesome, especially those bosses. But I bet they are quite scripted with those impaling/throwing player around and they are instanced/repeatable. If I'm wrong, feel free to correct me since I haven't been following the development that closely so far.

One thing that worries me, though. $25 for the game, $14/mo for being able to play at all. A bit steep price trajectory for a game that's fate is yet to be decided. And yes, I know it's probably the best model for prolonging the game development and keeping it entertaining and devoid of p2w elements or cash shop at all. Most of my worries come from having less and less time to invest with more and more games being released every year.

Despite all ambitiousness around this project and how cool it looks on trailers, the thought of paying around 150-180 bucks to have a year's access to the servers whilst not being able to squeeze more than 1~2 hours daily to play guts the mood a bit, yet from another perspective it's about the price of 3 triple-A titles shipped on release, which is well, fine price? Depends on a genre, though. I mean, lowering it by a third to $10 would probably convince more people with less money/time to spare.

Haven't played MO2 outside of a couple hours during the test weekend a good while back so can't provide any context/info but here's a video (albeit a low bitrate one) I remembered watching a couple weeks back of a minotaur doing the kill animation seen in the trailer, except its seemingly out in the open world/non-instanced:

If I recall correctly, there's similar videos of a troll doing its own kill animation
    Rossburger
  • SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,014

hmmm but that's what Lineage 2 was when it launched. There was territory control but it was more organic and came from players and clans (and alliances) trying to hold leveling spots.

As long as there is a healthy (ish) population it might be good.
    alin1209
    Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
    Sovrath said:

hmmm but that's what Lineage 2 was when it launched. There was territory control but it was more organic and came from players and clans (and alliances) trying to hold leveling spots.

You never played the first one when it launched I take it...

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

• ScorchienScorchien Member LegendaryPosts: 8,914
     I hope they give us new Burlap Bags :)
    Sovrath
  • RandomCasualtyRandomCasualty Member UncommonPosts: 327
    edited November 2021
    Sure wish this was a good old PVE Quest driven controlled PvP game. The engine is impressive, but the gank fest won't be. I'm to old to play the "Vas Flam" PK games. I'll watch and enjoy the Streams
  • SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,014
    edited November 2021

Sovrath said:

You never played the first one when it launched I take it...

Only played Lineage 2 when it launched. Or are you referring to Mortal Online? Looked good until I saw game play and decided to wait. That was about it.
    Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • Viper482Viper482 Member LegendaryPosts: 4,065

grumbagz said:

Shutara said:

Haven't played MO2 outside of a couple hours during the test weekend a good while back so can't provide any context/info but here's a video (albeit a low bitrate one) I remembered watching a couple weeks back of a minotaur doing the kill animation seen in the trailer, except its seemingly out in the open world/non-instanced:

If I recall correctly, there's similar videos of a troll doing its own kill animation

That was pretty awesome, but the animations in general look horrible. This led to me to some other videos and the combat looks sooooooooooo bad.
    Make MMORPG's Great Again!
  • bobbymcswansonbobbymcswanson Member UncommonPosts: 204
    All that trailer showed me was shitty animations, a hollow world, and clunky combat....wrapped up in editing from the early 2000s...neat
    TillertheGnade
  • DarthusDarthus Member UncommonPosts: 11

Disagree. You're assuming the game is PvP only, which since it sounds like you played MO1, is a reasonable assumption.

The devs have been very clear that their intention with MO2 is MUCH more to cater to the crafting/gathering, PvE and RP crowds than MO1. They've spent the past 6 months almost exclusively adding types of mobs, dungeons, bosses etc. Territory Control/Siege is an endgame PvP mechanic for large nolife guilds. It needs to be there (and will be added after release), but to say the entire game is a gankbox without it is super reductive.

If someone made a version of Skyrim where you could build you own homes/keeps, play with thousands of players, craft, explore the world, enabled city guards and reputation systems and then turned on PvP, would "a gank box with bands of murderers" be the best description?

MO1 was a PvP nightmare both because those other non PvP systems were really lackluster, systems were not in place to keep people safe and nobody played except nolife griefers because it was such an unforgiving opaque game.

All three of those already appear to be drastically improved in MO2. I for one am really happy they're focusing on things like housing, bosses, dungeons, PvE, in-game tasks (semi-quests) and other systems to support the non-PvP side of the game than devoting all their resources to insane siege mechanics only the most hardcore 1% will experience. See Crowfall.
  • DarthusDarthus Member UncommonPosts: 11

sammikins said:

I was heavily invested in the development of the first Mortal Online, I was disappointed that it failed. This sequel has promise, but we'll see. I don't necessarily mind paying the premium for the subscription fee, but it seems subscriptions are becoming an outmoded idea today.

If my subscription will help keep the game on a steady development cycle, though, I don't necessarily mind it.

Here's hoping for the best for this game. Cheers!

I appreciate the positive message of support for the game, I personally think it's something truly special (from playing in the beta for a year) and a lifelong passion project for the CEO and the other devs to create this type of game that nobody else is even willing to risk. If you dug the concept of MO1, I really recommend giving MO2 a try. I couldn't get past the first couple hours of MO1 despite also liking the concept, but have played MO2 quite a bit over the past year, it's really a night and day difference (almost wished they'd not even called it a sequel given MO1's poor reception).
    Darthus said:

Disagree. You're assuming the game is PvP only, which since it sounds like you played MO1, is a reasonable assumption.

The devs have been very clear that their intention with MO2 is MUCH more to cater to the crafting/gathering, PvE and RP crowds than MO1. They've spent the past 6 months almost exclusively adding types of mobs, dungeons, bosses etc. Territory Control/Siege is an endgame PvP mechanic for large nolife guilds. It needs to be there (and will be added after release), but to say the entire game is a gankbox without it is super reductive.

If someone made a version of Skyrim where you could build you own homes/keeps, play with thousands of players, craft, explore the world, enabled city guards and reputation systems and then turned on PvP, would "a gank box with bands of murderers" be the best description?

MO1 was a PvP nightmare both because those other non PvP systems were really lackluster, systems were not in place to keep people safe and nobody played except nolife griefers because it was such an unforgiving opaque game.

All three of those already appear to be drastically improved in MO2. I for one am really happy they're focusing on things like housing, bosses, dungeons, PvE, in-game tasks (semi-quests) and other systems to support the non-PvP side of the game than devoting all their resources to insane siege mechanics only the most hardcore 1% will experience. See Crowfall.
    LOL-  I played a few of the "beta' tests for MO2.  There is LESS PvE currently in MO2 than there was in MO1, but nice try.

Kyleran

• SpiiderSpiider Member RarePosts: 1,135
    The combat is terrible. Combat animations are appalling. Yes graphics looks amazing but this is like slapping minecraft on top of destiny.

No fate but what we make, so make me a ham sandwich please.

• KroxMalonKroxMalon Member UncommonPosts: 608
    An amazing open world to pve and explore. Surrounded by gangkers.
  • KyarraKyarra Member UncommonPosts: 789

KroxMalon said:

An amazing open world to pve and explore. Surrounded by gangkers.

That sums this game up perfectly. I loved taming horses and pets, crafting etc., but if only it wasn't full loot pvp, this would be a fun game.
  • theGnadetheGnade Member UncommonPosts: 147
    I think this game will not take off. Especially when you hear people saying that MO1 failed. I think they are going to sell the game. Then people will reach endgame and realize it sucks. Basically it will pull NW. After year or two they pull full LiF:MMO and shut the game down.
  • ronanxronanx Member UncommonPosts: 35

Not every game needs to lead you around by the nose.
    Kyleran
  • ronanxronanx Member UncommonPosts: 35

theGnade said:

I think this game will not take off. Especially when you hear people saying that MO1 failed. I think they are going to sell the game. Then people will reach endgame and realize it sucks. Basically it will pull NW. After year or two they pull full LiF:MMO and shut the game down.

End game? oh you sweet summer child. This isnt a themepark MMO
    Kyleran
  • AnabolicAssmanAnabolicAssman Newbie CommonPosts: 12
    Awesome game !

Here a guide and a list of all planned fetured for release and short after.

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2657843514

Especially the announced gambel games, card games, board games and fishing with the possebility to find tressure maps in SOS bottles make me very exited !

ronanx said:

theGnade said:

End game? oh you sweet summer child. This isnt a themepark MMO

it will get a lot of features. https://steamcommunity.com/app/1170950/discussions/0/2962796621645555474/

Spiider said:

The combat is terrible. Combat animations are appalling. Yes graphics looks amazing but this is like slapping minecraft on top of destiny.

Here the copy pasted part about combat from my detailed (Everything you need to know about MO2) guide.

Fist of all this game can be played like Mordhau or Chivalery. You can do every of the moves you can do in Mordhau and Chivalery, but you can´t use the same Key assignments which you might got used to from games such as Chivalery.

I recommend every new player to change the standard key assignments, as they are far from optimal.
    Assign Overhead to the Q key, Walk / Feint to the E , Last Spell to the R and Interact to the F.

In Chivalery you use Q for Feinting but i recommend to use E in MO2

With this setting you can hold down Q + right mouse button to block upwards and
    Alt + right mouse button to block mid attacks. This is very important as it prevents input errors. If one opponent is standing on your left side and another player on the right side you have to continuously look arround and strave your mouse horizontal, to see from which directions your opponents want to attack you.
    This setting allows you to block both opponents. So you can turn left and right without input errors and block in the middle and upwards. This is very difficult without these settings, as it is difficult to move the mouse up or down if you are moving the mouse horizontally.

This gives you a huge advantage when blocking, as you can see in this video.

I use the Q and Alt + right mouse to block mid and overhead attacks and use the directional mousemovement + right mouse imput just for the left and right blocks.

Q and Alt can not only be used to block, but also to attack. Just hold down Alt or Q and press the left mouse button to perform overhead attacks or stab attacks. This allows you to do a lot of "fancy moves" to confuse your opponent. This takes some training, but you will be rewarded for it afterwards.
    Same as with blocking i only use the mouse to perform right and left attacks.

Kyleranxdave78
    edited November 2021
    Blocking

In this game you not need to block in the very last moment as in Chivalery and you not need to aim your block at the tip of the weapon. You just need to block in the proper direction and you can block 1,5 Seconds before the weapon hits you !
    After 1.5 Seconds you need to reblock. ! If you hold a block for longer then 1,5 Seconds you not get the counterhit/repost and will receive damage through your block.

Now for the feints.

If you hold down the left mouse button and press E, you will cancel the swing and you can attack from another direction. But first to the basics.

Normal attacks take 1.5-2 seconds to charge to do full damage. A circle serves as an indicator that fills up until the maximum damage is reached. Combo attacks only have to be charged for a second and if you block in the right direction shortly before the enemy hit you with his weapon, you can carry out a counter attack. This so-called repost does not have to be charged at all. All you have to do is look in one direction and click the left mouse button.

This counter attack / repost can be ♥♥♥♥♥/feinted. This is quite skill based and has to be done very quickly. You have a 2 second window to carry out your respost, but if you go for a feinted repost you have to charge your attack immediatly after the parry, becuase the counterparry timer would run out, because It take more time if you feint an attack.

How to feint a repost.

After parrying a strike, you have to perform a counter attack immediatly after the parry, press E before releasing the left mouse button, as this would carry out the attack, thereby canceling it and attacking from a different direction, by cust clicking the mouse once.

Here is a video about it.

It all takes a bit of getting used to at first, but the longer you play, the more you find out that the combat system is quite demanding and skill-based.
    A really good player can win against 4 players with the same gear, if he use the terrain to his advantage.

Here is a professional Alvarin player. The Alvarin does hardly any damage and is normally played as an Archer, but he is a little faster than the other races and can jump higher. This player makes perfect use of his speed and the terrain and actually managed to defeat 4 new players
    single-handedly.

Here is an additional comment on the Feints. Remember not to spin too much in the team fights. These are duel tactics. In team fights you always have to focus on the opponents, you might have to block several players and therefore many of the tactics shown are counterproductive in group fights. The risk of team damage is far too high. These feinted attacks and spins are very situation-related in duels and should only be used when the opposing player is in turtle mode. This means that he will stand still when he is low live and try to parry all off your attacks as he has little stamina left. If you use too many Feints, or turn too often, you will be punished for it. In teamfights i recommend to parry one player and try to hit another player not expecting you to swing at him. Try to attack with your friends at the same time from different directions.

This thread will help you to read the animations.

https://mortalonline2.com/forums/threads/general-buttnaked´s-combat-school-training-a-new-student.3115/

Kyleranbcbullyxdave78