Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

How Will NFTs Affect End Game in Ember Sword? | MMORPG.com

SystemSystem Member UncommonPosts: 12,599
edited November 2021 in Videos Discussion

imageHow Will NFTs Affect End Game in Ember Sword? | MMORPG.com

In most MMOs, end game consists of a gear treadmill where players continuously pick up new and more powerful gear, but in Ember Sword the most sought-after gear is all on the blockchain and has no competitive advantage. How will players stay invested in Ember Swords end game without a stat-based gear grind?

Read the full story here

Comments

• TillerTiller Member LegendaryPosts: 11,125
    edited November 2021
    Seems like a fail if it's going to be heavily gatcha RNG. image image
    MendellaxieScot
    SWG Bloodfin vet
    Elder Jedi/Elder Bounty Hunter

• QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,347
    Full-loot PVP will chase away a whole lot of gamers. But that's okay, since gamers don't seem to be the target audience for this game, anyway.
    MargraveScotKyleran
  • maskedweaselmaskedweasel Member LegendaryPosts: 12,173
    Quizzical said:
    Full-loot PVP will chase away a whole lot of gamers. But that's okay, since gamers don't seem to be the target audience for this game, anyway.
    I mean, I'm a gamer and I'm interested in playing. 

But you're right, full loot PvP isn't my forte. But it sounds like its not full loot pvp everywhere and only in certain areas, so I think that's okay. 

I don't hate PvP but full loot isn't fun to me. Even if gear is easy to get, it kind of makes it worse, because it feels like its an artificial time gate to get back into the action. 

• MendelMendel Member LegendaryPosts: 5,609
    So, in a word, the NFTs don't really add anything to the gameplay?  The main NFTs here appear to be nothing more than tradable cosmetics, something all MMORPGs already do, but go out of their way to make them non-tradable.  Why not just make a NFT out of a screenshot of your death like other games appear to be doing?  Monetize my MyPictures directory, why don't cha?  How much can I get for 30 Mendeldeaths?

[Deleted User]Linif

Logic, my dear, merely enables one to be wrong with great authority.

• MargraveMargrave Member RarePosts: 1,360
    Full-loot PVP means no from me.
  • AkulasAkulas Member RarePosts: 3,004
    NFT is just that thing that was used in the late 80's to stop people faking their time stamps at work.

This isn't a signature, you just think it is.

According to Wikipedia, having too many NFTs means that you probably have Alzheimer's.  No, really.  I'm not making that up.  See for yourself:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Neurofibrillary_tangle
    maskedweaselWhiteLantern
  • RidrithRidrith Member RarePosts: 802
    Looks like a scam, smells like a scam. It's a scam. Buck off.
    Darkpigeon
    I like to complain about games.
  • hoenens1hoenens1 Member UncommonPosts: 310
    Weird game.. when i go to their website, i cannot even login and play...
  • ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,823
    adamvinh said:
    :)) Why doesn't anyone create NFT games like HOT, CS: GO, League of Legends games...
    Welcome to the forums! :)
    edited November 2021
    Every post questions something about the game but the article questions nothing. The overhaul narrative the gaming media gives Cryptocurrency games will be the same as every previous revenue "innovation", acceptance without critique. Mind you Steven has raised questions before, most never do.
    StevenWeber
  • bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838

adamvinh said:

:)) Why doesn't anyone create NFT games like HOT, CS: GO, League of Legends games...

Check out Metalands. Shooter.
    https://metalands.gg/
    "We see fundamentals and we ape in"

Stizzled said:

Arterius said:

I am still not exactly sure what the heck an NFT is or how it will be applied to games? It just a picture one sells but instead of a physical art piece its digital, correct? I don't understand how Ubisoft or any compines plan to put this in there game if I am understand what a NFT is

An NFT is just a digital token. It can be any number of things like a picture, a video, or a text document. In video games it can be pretty much any asset in the game, like items, houses, land, mounts, skills, cosmetics and so on. All can be purchasable, sellable and tradeable NFTs.

If you think games nickel and dime you for every little thing now, just wait until literally everything you interact with or see is for sale, by the company or other players.

This a part you're leaving out here. You will be making those items just as you do in games now. You will sell those items for as much as the market can bare. You will buy them for as much as you think they are worth, with in game currency.

If a player produced item is high. Players will make more of that item. Price falls. Same principles apply.

I'm not worried about crazy unaffordable markets in mmorpgs at all, at least no worse than they are now.

The potential issues I see are down the line for new players in succesful games. If the game is successful the in game currency will rise. For those who have been playing, this will be no problem. 1 star gem will be 1 star gem. For new players this could be a problem if a star gem is $100 and there is no substainable way for new players to earn those gems without destroying the current economy.

• hyllyhhyllyh Member UncommonPosts: 477
    breaking news!
    there's an endgame? lol
    there's litterally near to no game at all
    Sarla
  • StevenWeberStevenWeber MMORPG.COM Staff UncommonPosts: 109
    Scot said:
    Every post questions something about the game but the article questions nothing. The overhaul narrative the gaming media gives Cryptocurrency games will be the same as every previous revenue "innovation", acceptance without critique. Mind you Steven has raised questions before, most never do.
    I appreciate your perspective. 

I have some episodes coming up that question quite a bit about how certain aspects of blockchain games work. The video interview revolves, nearly entirely, around questions about the game. When we look at the broader gaming industry and their willingness to shift resources into blockchain technology, it's only natural to view these changes with a heavy dose of skepticism about some of the new titles on the market.

However, keep in mind that the gameplay in the video is my actual gameplay too. If anyone has any specific questions about that, I'd be happy to answer them.

There will be a time and place for the hard questions related to blockchain, but I also don't want every episode to always revolve around just the technological aspects of these games. 

It's just as important to treat blockchain game developers like any other game studio. They are, after all, creating a game, so when I approached Loren to learn more about the specifics of Ember Swords design, he was more than happy to dish on what Bright Star has been working on.

As blockchain is still emerging in the MMORPG genre, I'm always reading everyone's responses in these threads, on twitter, discord and so on, (I know the developers do too) and I learn a lot from our community on the general perception of these kind of games - enough that it influences some of my questions. I definitely want to get your (the communities) questions answered just as much as I want to get my own questions answered, so keep the conversations going! 
    Scot
    Scot said:
    I appreciate your perspective. 

I have some episodes coming up that question quite a bit about how certain aspects of blockchain games work. The video interview revolves, nearly entirely, around questions about the game. When we look at the broader gaming industry and their willingness to shift resources into blockchain technology, it's only natural to view these changes with a heavy dose of skepticism about some of the new titles on the market.

However, keep in mind that the gameplay in the video is my actual gameplay too. If anyone has any specific questions about that, I'd be happy to answer them.

There will be a time and place for the hard questions related to blockchain, but I also don't want every episode to always revolve around just the technological aspects of these games. 

It's just as important to treat blockchain game developers like any other game studio. They are, after all, creating a game, so when I approached Loren to learn more about the specifics of Ember Swords design, he was more than happy to dish on what Bright Star has been working on.

As blockchain is still emerging in the MMORPG genre, I'm always reading everyone's responses in these threads, on twitter, discord and so on, (I know the developers do too) and I learn a lot from our community on the general perception of these kind of games - enough that it influences some of my questions. I definitely want to get your (the communities) questions answered just as much as I want to get my own questions answered, so keep the conversations going! 
    I certainly appreciate you can't badger them with every article. If this is the future we need to hear more about the gameplay because when you check out so many of these games the synopsis is like that of gambling game, the gameplay is hardly mentioned.

I think for most players the concern will be what effect on gameplay will P2E have? Every time a new revenue method has been innovated it has had a detrimental impact to gameplay from cash shops to GaaS. That does not mean the games have not been successful, crazy golf is very popular but it is not golf is it?
    maskedweasel
    Stizzled said:
    bcbully said:

Stizzled said:

Arterius said:

I am still not exactly sure what the heck an NFT is or how it will be applied to games? It just a picture one sells but instead of a physical art piece its digital, correct? I don't understand how Ubisoft or any compines plan to put this in there game if I am understand what a NFT is

An NFT is just a digital token. It can be any number of things like a picture, a video, or a text document. In video games it can be pretty much any asset in the game, like items, houses, land, mounts, skills, cosmetics and so on. All can be purchasable, sellable and tradeable NFTs.

If you think games nickel and dime you for every little thing now, just wait until literally everything you interact with or see is for sale, by the company or other players.

This a part you're leaving out here. You will be making those items just as you do in games now. You will sell those items for as much as the market can bare. You will buy them for as much as you think they are worth, with in game currency.

If a player produced item is high. Players will make more of that item. Price falls. Same principles apply.

I'm not worried about crazy unaffordable markets in mmorpgs at all, at least no worse than they are now.

The potential issues I see are down the line for new players in succesful games. If the game is successful the in game currency will rise. For those who have been playing, this will be no problem. 1 star gem will be 1 star gem. For new players this could be a problem if a star gem is $100 and there is no substainable way for new players to earn those gems without destroying the current economy.

In my example, for a new player it wouldn't matter how the item got there, who crafted it, who is selling it or how much it costs on any given day. All they'll know is this game they just started playing has literally everything for sale.

But, I really just used that example to further clarify my point. In a video game there is almost nothing that can't be an NFT.

---

I'm not super excited about where this is headed though. The adoption of NFTs and crypto in gaming isn't just fully embracing RMT, but making it a fundamental part of gaming and forcing 'gamers' to participate in it.

The high price of initial NFT offerings from these games will almost guarantee that the prices remain high if the game doesn't fail. No one is buying these things at $500 in the hopes that it drops to $30. Yet, it dropping to $30 is the only way regular gamers will ever try it.

If this is the future, then gaming could get a whole lot more expensive, for hardware and software.
    I hate to say it, but I think gaming is going to get a lot more expensive. When you think about it probably should. The cost to play mmorpgs has been  roughtly the same for 20 years. We might be being a bit unreasonable as gamers.

At the same time I think gamer distrust of developers building a good game is at a peak right now, similar to the 80's.

Build something new, build it good, I think there is evidence that gamers will pay. Maybe not the gamers on this site lol. Outside of here though, people are spending thousands for something different.

I'm gonna put a number range out here. $100-$300 to get in the door maybe where things should be at. Maybe then these things could actually be made.

bcbully said:

I'm gonna put a number range out here. $100-$300 to get in the door maybe where things should be at. Maybe then these things could actually be made.

But ember sword is a free to play game? 

I think devs that are building truly fun games that know they don't need the expensive buy in to be successful will come out ahead as the big winners here. 

A 300 dollar buy in is ridiculous especially since you mostly see a buy in for auto play blockchain games with very little actual content.

If you build something fun, people will pay. 

Besides if ember swords economy works out, even if a free player gets gets hands on an nft through gameplay, once they sell that item ember sword gets money anyways.  
    Scot

edited November 2021
    bcbully said:

I think devs that are building truly fun games that know they don't need the expensive buy in to be successful will come out ahead as the big winners here. 

A 300 dollar buy in is ridiculous especially since you mostly see a buy in for auto play blockchain games with very little actual content.

Besides if ember swords economy works out, even if a free player gets gets hands on an nft through gameplay, once they sell that item ember sword gets money anyways.  
    Where's the money to build and maintain it though?

Ember Sword looks ok. Unless you're Amazon though who the heck is gonna invest 500 million+ upfront to build the type of AAA game we all want. 

Free with limited cash shop, $50 box, $15 a month aint gonna get it done in 2021. 
  • VrikaVrika Member LegendaryPosts: 7,882
    edited November 2021
    bcbully said:

I hate to say it, but I think gaming is going to get a lot more expensive. When you think about it probably should. The cost to play mmorpgs has been  roughtly the same for 20 years. We might be being a bit unreasonable as gamers.

At the same time I think gamer distrust of developers building a good game is at a peak right now, similar to the 80's.

Build something new, build it good, I think there is evidence that gamers will pay. Maybe not the gamers on this site lol. Outside of here though, people are spending thousands for something different.

No. Gaming isn't getting that much more expensive because the market is constantly growing which means games can sell more units, and also tech advancement has made both developing the game and running servers for it if needed much cheaper. Those are mostly enough to offset both the inflation and the extra cost of devs making bigger and better game so that they can keep the unit price for sold games about same.

bcbully said:
    bcbully said:

Ember Sword looks ok. Unless you're Amazon though who the heck is gonna invest 500 million+ upfront to build the type of AAA game we all want. 

Free with limited cash shop, $50 box, $15 a month aint gonna get it done in 2021. 
    They not only sold out their first several land sales (selling everything but making less than what was pledged on because they wanted to) but they also have investors unrelated to the land and badge sales they've been doing. 

The pledges to buy land in the last community land sale was over 200 million. They didn't have enough land to give out to everyone that applied so they ended up giving players badge offerings instead. I think the badges translate to some kind of currency or some in game cosmetic advantage or something like that. 

But yeah, they have plenty of money for development. 

There is a lot we don't know, like if there is a cost to mint items on their end or whatever, but we do know they expect to make a ton of money from people selling the NFTs they create or find in the game. 

IMO this is the best way to run a blockchain game. Don't make people spend thousands on NFTs the developers create, let the players find and craft NFTs and sell them to other players. It's a way more organic and inclusive way to get people into blockchain games. 

Players all start in game with nothing, and they make NFTs and earn everything through the game. The money will come from the smart contract transaction fees. No up front costs to start, and people only have to buy what they want from other players. 
    bcbully

bcbully said:
    bcbully said:

They not only sold out their first several land sales (selling everything but making less than what was pledged on because they wanted to) but they also have investors unrelated to the land and badge sales they've been doing. 

The pledges to buy land in the last community land sale was over 200 million. They didn't have enough land to give out to everyone that applied so they ended up giving players badge offerings instead. I think the badges translate to some kind of currency or some in game cosmetic advantage or something like that. 

But yeah, they have plenty of money for development. 

There is a lot we don't know, like if there is a cost to mint items on their end or whatever, but we do know they expect to make a ton of money from people selling the NFTs they create or find in the game. 

IMO this is the best way to run a blockchain game. Don't make people spend thousands on NFTs the developers create, let the players find and craft NFTs and sell them to other players. It's a way more organic and inclusive way to get people into blockchain games. 

Players all start in game with nothing, and they make NFTs and earn everything through the game. The money will come from the smart contract transaction fees. No up front costs to start, and people only have to buy what they want from other players. 
    I certainly agree that would be amazing, perfect.

The risk is still sooo high that this pool of gamers will leave in 30 days though...

$100-300 Avatars up front. Players need to put some skin in the game too.
    maskedweasel
    edited November 2021
    Stizzled said:
    bcbully said:
    bcbully said:

ActiBlizz, EA, Ubisoft, Epic and so on and on have all the money in the world to make games. Gaming companies have been making record profits year over year. Making the initial price more expensive isn't going to change anything other than making their profits soar even higher.

It's really no wonder they're all super excited about NFTs. There's a growing number of people who've struck it crypto-rich and have a huge hole burning in their digital wallet. There's plenty of people out there more than willing to take advantage of that.
    Record profits on games that need next to 0 development, that cost nearly nothing to maintain. They're are paying a fraction of the cost of new development to keep the hamster wheel spinning. Thus the same recycled crap over and over. 

$15 sub too much, Free with cash shop too much, just buy the box too much. Fine here is the same reskinned stuff you were playing 20 years ago.

Devs need to develop more. Players need to pay more. 
    It sounds like their plan is to build a more or less conventional game, with purely cosmetic NFTs as a sideshow.  That could allow normal players to just play it like a normal game without having to care that there are NFTs involved.  That's essential if you want to have NFTs as part of a mainstream game.

That, of course, leaves open the question of what happens when they discover that in an MMO with heavy stats attached to items, most gamers don't want purely cosmetic items with no stats attached.  Or perhaps rather, to the extent that people do, most aren't willing to pay what it costs.  What happens when they learn that the only reason why the NFTs have any value is from crypto speculators, and normal gamers won't touch them with a ten foot pole?  Think they'll stay purely cosmetic?

The other problem is that it sounds like the underlying game is going to be a mobile game with click to move action combat and full loot PVP.  That sounds awful.  Yes, yes, it's also going to be available as a browser-based game on PC, but still, if it has to be playable on mobile, then the PC version has to live with most of the drawbacks of mobile.  No wonder they didn't want to talk much about the game early on.
    Mendel
    bcbully said:
    $100-300 Avatars up front. Players need to put some skin in the game too.
    You know who would be scared away by having to pay $300 up front to get access to a game, and not being able to refund it if you don't like it?  Nearly all gamers.  If your goal is to make a game whose audience consists exclusively of crypto speculators and gamblers, then that's how you do it.
    Mendel[Deleted User]bcbully