Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

A good pvp set up

GallaidGallaid Member Posts: 118
Can some one tell me what a good pvp set up would be. i have a thorax right now. i would like to kill people that kill my indy ships i would like some thing fast and to beable to scramble warp so they cant run while they die. any suggetions.

Comments

• PrecusorPrecusor Member UncommonPosts: 3,589

probably want better amour plating..

HIGHS
    2 Heavy Ion Blaster
    2 Heavy Electron Blaster
    1 Med Nos

1 stasis webifier
    1 10MW ABII
    1 Named cap recharger

LOWS:
    1 x 1600mm Reinforced Nanofiber Plates I
    2 x Faction-specific armor hardeners
    1 x Medium Armor Repair II
    1 x Capacitor Power Relay I

x5 Med Drones

• AzirophosAzirophos Member Posts: 447

5x Electron Blasters, AM Ammo

MWD, Webber, Scrambler (maybe the 7.5km - less range but 2 scramble points)

Med Armor Repairer (T2), 3 Hardeners (Kin, Exp, Therm), 800mm Plate

5 Medium Drones (either Valkyries or Vespas)

Variations:
    *) Remove a Hardener and add a Damage Mod
    *) Use AB instead of MWD, though I would recommend the MWD, if you can fit it.
    *) If you use an AB then (iirc) you should be able to fit 5 Ion Blasters (avoid mixing though, if possible)
    *) The hardeners I mentioned is when you dont know what weapons or ships your opponents will use. If you know it, then go for that. (ie. 1 EM 2 Therm if lasers, 2 Kin 1 Therm against rails/blasters, the above mentioned against projectiles)

Tactics:
    A Thorax in his main role is a close combat ship. That said, you obviously have to get close to your target to deal best damage. That also means, that a Raven or a battleship set up for close range (maybe including Nos) would spell your doom. Avoid those. Also never approach your target directly in a straight line, and keep in mind that the MWD increases your signature, so makes you easier to hit. And don't use your armor repairer too soon.

Good Hunting.

------------------------------------------------------
    Originally posted by Mandolin

Designers need to move away from the old D&D level-based model which was never designed for player vs player combat in the first place.

• GallaidGallaid Member Posts: 118
    What would be a good bounty hunter set up? what ship would be the best for that? what else would i need.

• GlacianNexGlacianNex Member UncommonPosts: 652

Originally posted by Gallaid
    What would be a good bounty hunter set up? what ship would be the best for that? what else would i need.

bounty hunter as hunt for people with rewards on their head or just hunt NPCs?
  • SobaManSobaMan Member Posts: 384

Originally posted by Urza123

bounty hunter as hunt for people with rewards on their head or just hunt NPCs?

Hunting for people with rewards over their head simply requires a good PvP setup, but you'll probably also wind up needing a couple friends.

Also, train your shield skills up.  Sheild HP and recharge rate.  Why?  Because for us armor tankers it adds a little bit more of a buffer zone that enemies have to get through.

More shield HP = longer time befor shield penetration.

Faster shield recharge = less armor damage once in a while

You can also train up armor resitances for those armor resitance modules others have recommended... which will increase the resistance output that they have and thus result in less damamge taken by you once your enemy gets down to your armor.

Not all named Cap rechargers recharge better than Cap Recharger 1.  Some just take less power to run... which will probably be what you want since you're flying a Rax.  I'm just pointing this out so you don't wonder why a named Mod isn't working "as well" as an unamed.

Important though, if you're the aggressor, make sure you have a Warp Disruptor equiped or else they'll just fly right out of your hands.

We can agree to disagree, or we can bicker constantly... either way, I'm right.
    SobaKai.com
    There are two types of people in this world - people that suck... and me.

Originally posted by Azirophos

5x Electron Blasters, AM Ammo
    MWD, Webber, Scrambler (maybe the 7.5km - less range but 2 scramble points)
    Med Armor Repairer (T2), 3 Hardeners (Kin, Exp, Therm), 800mm Plate
    5 Medium Drones (either Valkyries or Vespas)
    Variations:
    *) Remove a Hardener and add a Damage Mod
    *) Use AB instead of MWD, though I would recommend the MWD, if you can fit it.
    *) If you use an AB then (iirc) you should be able to fit 5 Ion Blasters (avoid mixing though, if possible)
    *) The hardeners I mentioned is when you dont know what weapons or ships your opponents will use. If you know it, then go for that. (ie. 1 EM 2 Therm if lasers, 2 Kin 1 Therm against rails/blasters, the above mentioned against projectiles)
    Tactics:
    A Thorax in his main role is a close combat ship. That said, you obviously have to get close to your target to deal best damage. That also means, that a Raven or a battleship set up for close range (maybe including Nos) would spell your doom. Avoid those. Also never approach your target directly in a straight line, and keep in mind that the MWD increases your signature, so makes you easier to hit. And don't use your armor repairer too soon.
    Good Hunting.

It may be better to use an Afterburner instead of an MWD.  Same desired result with less capacitor drain.  One might equip an MWD if they have a NOS equiped, but if you have no real good way of getting Capacitor back it may be best to equip an afterburner.

SobaKai.com
  • GallaidGallaid Member Posts: 118
    any suggestions on how to get my pvp skills up. my corp just entered 2 wars but i have never really pvped in this game before. do i just jum in to it and throw away money, or is there an other way to start off with a little pvp. becasue i know like most of the other people in the game, it donesnt matter what stuff you have its the skill the player has.
        i have need many battles that prove the hole i have better stuff so i will no matter what. on time one of my guild mates dueled this person, both had domi i think there called. and my guild mate started destrying the pie he was dueling, and then the pirite warped in there alt and started to attack him. and he killed them both with and got a pod kill also. thats how the first war began

• AzirophosAzirophos Member Posts: 447

any suggestions on how to get my pvp skills up. my corp just entered 2 wars but i have never really pvped in this game before. do i just jum in to it and throw away money, or is there an other way to start off with a little pvp. becasue i know like most of the other people in the game, it donesnt matter what stuff you have its the skill the player has. i have need many battles that prove the hole i have better stuff so i will no matter what. on time one of my guild mates dueled this person, both had domi i think there called. and my guild mate started destrying the pie he was dueling, and then the pirite warped in there alt and started to attack him. and he killed them both with and got a pod kill also. thats how the first war began

Well, if you are that new to PVP, then I would recommend using a frigate, since they are a lot cheaper to replace than crusiers. You will need hands on experience to get into PVP better, and since you will lose ships in the beginning (later too, but if you are good it will happen less frequently) it will be better to use some which don't kill your wallet that much. You will have the classic tackler and/or scout role. Tackling is, if you know only Gallente frigates, best done in an Incursus. The medslots are most important. Scrambler or Disruptor, Webber, AB or MWD..... the rest (Highs and Lows) according to your skills and play style. Maybe Nanofibres to get more speed, or Powergrid enhancers (PDU, RCU) to be able to fit more, etc. An alternative would be the Maulus. It gets a bonus to sensor dampeners, and is therefore a very good support ship.

------------------------------------------------------
    Originally posted by Mandolin

Designers need to move away from the old D&D level-based model which was never designed for player vs player combat in the first place.

any suggestions on how to get my pvp skills up. my corp just entered 2 wars but i have never really pvped in this game before. do i just jum in to it and throw away money, or is there an other way to start off with a little pvp. becasue i know like most of the other people in the game, it donesnt matter what stuff you have its the skill the player has.
        i have need many battles that prove the hole i have better stuff so i will no matter what. on time one of my guild mates dueled this person, both had domi i think there called. and my guild mate started destrying the pie he was dueling, and then the pirite warped in there alt and started to attack him. and he killed them both with and got a pod kill also. thats how the first war began

The best way to learn is to just fight.  The more you fight, the more you'll learn what is working and what isn't.  You will lose ships... until CCP closes their doors... so don't even fret over it.  Just go out there, and if you die quickly, boost your defenses... if you die slowly... boost your offenses.  You'll learn

SobaKai.com