Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

I don't think you understand NFTs

Comments

• RungarRungar Member RarePosts: 1,132
    bcbully said:
    Rungar said:
    its just a scam to loot more wealth but the gullible and greedy are blind to such things, thinking they will be the ones getting rich, when we know the same crew of gangsters who continually come up with this bullshit are the insiders who will vacuum up all the remaining real wealth. 

You will own nothing and you will be happy.  Does that not sound exactly like a NFT?   
    No, that sound like the IWorld Economic Forum.

Direct quote for those who don't know.

whats the difference? 
    .05 of a second to midnight
  • VrikaVrika Member LegendaryPosts: 7,888
    bcbully said:
    Vrika said:
    bcbully said:
    Quizzical said:
    Wargfoot said:
    I cannot think of a single digital asset that I'd want to 'own'.

It's reasonable to want to own anything creative that you've done in digital form.  That could be anything from writing articles to creating artwork to writing source code.  But that's protected by copyright laws, not NFTs.
    NFTs are protected the same as any other original work of art. The medium does not change those protections. Rights my be transfered if terms of the sale call for.
    No. If NFT refers to a work of art then that art is likely copyright protected. Also the blockchain ledger as whole would enjoy copyright protection. But the NFT individually is just a machine generated ID tag as as such it's not protected by copyright.

Who owns NFT copyright?

The copyright and all associated IP rights belong to the creator of the work, but some or all of those rights can be assigned or transferred to any subsequent purchaser of the work. One advantage to purchasing an NFT is that all authentication is done on the blockchain.Aug 4, 2021

Do you honestly think that when Christie's auctioned of Beeple's Everydays for 69 million that rights were not transfered to Vingnes Sundaresen?

Are you trying to separate the art from the medium? For the resonable scoop of this discussion I don't believe doing so is pertinent.

Wikipedia:

"Ownership of an NFT does not inherently grant copyright to whatever digital asset the token represents. While someone may sell an NFT representing their work, the buyer will not necessarily receive copyright privileges when ownership of the NFT is changed and so the original owner is allowed to create more NFTs of the same work. In that sense, an NFT is merely a proof of ownership that is separate from a copyright. According to legal scholar Rebecca Tushnet, 'In one sense, the purchaser acquires whatever the art world thinks they have acquired. They definitely do not own the copyright to the underlying work unless it is explicitly transferred.' In practice, NFT purchasers do not generally acquire the copyright of the underlying artwork.

Source: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Non-fungible_token

No-one owns copyright of NFT because the NFT itself is not copyrighted work of art. The original work of art may or may not be copyrighted, and the copyright for that work of art may or may not be sold together with an NFT of that work of art. You play Zed Run so you should be familiar that a lot of NFTs just give you limited license for non-commercial use of the art associated with NFT, not the copyright.

KyleranbcbullyTalmien

• laseritlaserit Member LegendaryPosts: 7,591
    laserit said:
    bcbully said:
    laserit said:
    bcbully said:
    laserit said:
    bcbully said:
    Quizzical said:
    Wargfoot said:

It's reasonable to want to own anything creative that you've done in digital form.  That could be anything from writing articles to creating artwork to writing source code.  But that's protected by copyright laws, not NFTs.
    NFTs are protected the same as any other original work of art. The medium does not change those protections. Rights my be transfered if terms of the sale call for.
    You have the rights to reproduce? does some one else? or no one? And if so why do I want that.

Explain to me why we're not talking tulips in Amsterdam. Explain to me how this all doesn't fall on its face in a prolonged crisis.
    Like any original work of art those rights are determined at sale. 

JPGs are like tulips. Except they are verifiable, unique and don't wither, like a scuplture or painting. Often jpg nfts come with perks like exclusive drops, contest, admission etc.

Game NFTs are an entirely different animal. Like jpgs they are varifiable. Unlike jpgs they have attributes/code that have in game characterists and/or attributes that affect gameplay. 
    If it's a mechanic that isn't tied to any kind of get rich quick scheme it might be worth my precious limited time to investigate. If the idea is that one day my 5 dollar pixels are worth 10k..... then all I'll say is have fun.

I've got better things to do :)

Right when I was about to say "And there it is! You got it!" 

I read your next post /facepalm
    Your not answering my questions. The things are completely worthless except for a fabricated artificial desire.

A desire I don’t have and I don’t want.
    Yes.. .AND NO.

NFT's are essentially nothing, but not any MORE of a nothing than any other collectible. 

There is some importance to crypto and non fungible tokens.

In gaming it makes sense more than any other place really. Same with a crypto currency. In reality there are some pretty cool things you could conceivably do. Maybe you may never want to do those things... such as:

Trade a currency from one game to a currency for another from completely different developers. 

Bring a character from one game to the next game. 

Place items up for auction anywhere, and not have to worry about getting banned. 

Create a definitive history of any items you own so even when you no longer own it, your history is still written within the item. 

And that's just some of the things a few games are currently doing with cryptocurrency and NFTs. The blockchain technology is of more interest. Games could conceivably run in a serverless environment, which would cut costs and keep games running indefinitely as long as players were playing. No more dead MMOs. 

But on the flipside of that, nothing really is "worth" anything of value, initially. Not any more or less than the worth you put into a common comic book, or even a rare one for that matter. 

Growing up my friends family across the street was home to a big baseball fan. His dad used to buy boxes of baseball cards, and just stock them in his closet. He never even opened the packs. He said it was his "rainy day" fund. One day he would sell them all. But collectibles are only worth money to people that want them even if they're digital. So the only way NFTs and cryptocurrencies work, at least for the majority of us, is if we see logical, provable benefits outside of "everyone gets rich" because that is not the case long term. Baseball cards or cryptopunks if you can sell them for anything, maybe that's all it takes to be "worth it". 

The biggest world-changing blockchain MMO Metaverse hasn't been created yet, and is years off. Until then all of these games are just proof of concept beta tests. 
    Collectables are all fine and dandy for people who like to collect. I see some women driving with stuffed animals plastered all over their car.

Their collections.

Some too like to hold onto collections. Store them in a cool, dark, safe place. A plastic toy figure can be worth thousands of dollars. Who would a thunk it ;)

There has been quite a trove of reality shows collectables. Shows telling the story of little people making awesome money collecting and reselling collectables.

The easy spending consumer is eating the shit up.

All these items, their value is in your head and nothing more.

Money is hard to make, always has been. Now you have these jokers telling you all you have to do is read a tweet and push a button.

I’m very worried for my grandchildren’s future. Me not so much.
    maskedweasel

"Be water my friend" - Bruce Lee

• bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838
    laserit said:
    laserit said:
    bcbully said:
    laserit said:
    bcbully said:
    laserit said:
    bcbully said:
    Quizzical said:
    Wargfoot said:

You have the rights to reproduce? does some one else? or no one? And if so why do I want that.

Explain to me why we're not talking tulips in Amsterdam. Explain to me how this all doesn't fall on its face in a prolonged crisis.

JPGs are like tulips. Except they are verifiable, unique and don't wither, like a scuplture or painting. Often jpg nfts come with perks like exclusive drops, contest, admission etc.

Game NFTs are an entirely different animal. Like jpgs they are varifiable. Unlike jpgs they have attributes/code that have in game characterists and/or attributes that affect gameplay. 
    If it's a mechanic that isn't tied to any kind of get rich quick scheme it might be worth my precious limited time to investigate. If the idea is that one day my 5 dollar pixels are worth 10k..... then all I'll say is have fun.

Your not answering my questions. The things are completely worthless except for a fabricated artificial desire.

Yes.. .AND NO.

NFT's are essentially nothing, but not any MORE of a nothing than any other collectible. 

In gaming it makes sense more than any other place really. Same with a crypto currency. In reality there are some pretty cool things you could conceivably do. Maybe you may never want to do those things... such as:

Trade a currency from one game to a currency for another from completely different developers. 

Place items up for auction anywhere, and not have to worry about getting banned. 

Create a definitive history of any items you own so even when you no longer own it, your history is still written within the item. 

And that's just some of the things a few games are currently doing with cryptocurrency and NFTs. The blockchain technology is of more interest. Games could conceivably run in a serverless environment, which would cut costs and keep games running indefinitely as long as players were playing. No more dead MMOs. 

But on the flipside of that, nothing really is "worth" anything of value, initially. Not any more or less than the worth you put into a common comic book, or even a rare one for that matter. 

Growing up my friends family across the street was home to a big baseball fan. His dad used to buy boxes of baseball cards, and just stock them in his closet. He never even opened the packs. He said it was his "rainy day" fund. One day he would sell them all. But collectibles are only worth money to people that want them even if they're digital. So the only way NFTs and cryptocurrencies work, at least for the majority of us, is if we see logical, provable benefits outside of "everyone gets rich" because that is not the case long term. Baseball cards or cryptopunks if you can sell them for anything, maybe that's all it takes to be "worth it". 

The biggest world-changing blockchain MMO Metaverse hasn't been created yet, and is years off. Until then all of these games are just proof of concept beta tests. 
    Collectables are all fine and dandy for people who like to collect. I see some women driving with stuffed animals plastered all over their car.

Their collections.

Some too like to hold onto collections. Store them in a cool, dark, safe place. A plastic toy figure can be worth thousands of dollars. Who would a thunk it ;)

There has been quite a trove of reality shows collectables. Shows telling the story of little people making awesome money collecting and reselling collectables.

Money is hard to make, always has been.  Now you have these jokers telling you all you have to do is read a tweet and push a button.

No that is you telling yourself what these "jokers" are saying. No one else.
    "We see fundamentals and we ape in"
    bcbully said:
    laserit said:
    laserit said:
    bcbully said:
    laserit said:
    bcbully said:
    laserit said:
    bcbully said:
    Quizzical said:
    Wargfoot said:

Yes.. .AND NO.

Their collections.

Money is hard to make, always has been.  Now you have these jokers telling you all you have to do is read a tweet and push a button.

No that is you telling yourself what these "jokers" are saying. No one else.
    If the shit puts a smile on your face and gives you fulfillment then it's worth every penny for you.

I tell myself lots of shit and its done me very well so far.

• OldKingLogOldKingLog Member RarePosts: 564

laserit
  • MendelMendel Member LegendaryPosts: 5,609
    laserit said:
    Scorchien said:
    laserit said:
    Scorchien said:
    I'm glad I dont need money , and even need to figure this out or consider this as an option.
    Just secure it with something more than paper or pixels, hard assets like those houses you mentioned ;)

Ive bought a lot of Gold and Silver the past 2 years also
    Nice, my brother went big time into silver and he doesn’t do the paper kind. He has over a ton of it.
     I just like a couple pounds of gold to use for currency if the time ever presents itself ;)

Gold, Silver.  They won't be worth a damn in a zombie apocalypse.  Put your money in something the zombies will want: brains.  B)

maskedweaselQuizzicalKyleranSandmanjw

Logic, my dear, merely enables one to be wrong with great authority.

Mendel said:
    laserit said:
    Scorchien said:
    laserit said:
    Scorchien said:
    I'm glad I dont need money , and even need to figure this out or consider this as an option.
    Just secure it with something more than paper or pixels, hard assets like those houses you mentioned ;)

Nice, my brother went big time into silver and he doesn’t do the paper kind. He has over a ton of it.
     I just like a couple pounds of gold to use for currency if the time ever presents itself ;)

Gold, Silver.  They won't be worth a damn in a zombie apocalypse.  Put your money in something the zombies will want: brains.  B)

I’m a tool & die maker. I’m like that guy they’ll be trying to keep alive in order to make them bullets.

Dont need electricity, just steam ;)

• thelawoflogicthelawoflogic Member UncommonPosts: 788
    were the game?
    Mendel said:
    laserit said:
    Scorchien said:
    laserit said:
    Scorchien said:

were already in the zombie apocalypse. We, well most of us, play the part of the mindless zombie hordes. Others that figure themselves smart (lol even dumber than the zombies) like to portray themselves as the humans against the horde.  
    OldKingLog
  • QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,355
    bcbully said:
    laserit said:
    bcbully said:
    Quizzical said:
    Wargfoot said:

I'm pretty sure that you completely missed the question there.  The problem with tulips in 1637 wasn't that they withered.  Rather, it was a reference to what used to be most spectacular, ridiculous bubble of all time, until mined cryptocurrencies came along.
    bcbully
    laserit said:
    bcbully said:
    laserit said:
    bcbully said:
    laserit said:
    bcbully said:
    Quizzical said:
    Wargfoot said:

The critical distinction is between items that people want because they want the item itself and items that people want because they think that they can sell them.  The critical question to ask is, would you want the item if you knew that it would be impossible to ever sell it.  Or perhaps rather, even if you wouldn't personally want it, are there people out there who would want it even if they knew that they could never sell it?

I buy apples without the intention of selling them.  I buy them because I intend to eat them.  I'm hardly the only person in the world to eat apples.  So apples have some value because of that.  Someone who buys a bunch of apples intending to ship them to some other location and then sell them has some reasonable expectation that the apples should have some value when he tries to sell them, even if he doesn't like apples himself.  At worst, he could be disappointed that other people brought too many apples or everyone who wanted apples already bought what they want and doesn't want his.  He's not going to arrive and discover that apples are fundamentally worthless.

That can sometimes be true of digital assets, too.  There are people out there who would pay $1 for some particular epic sword in a game they like if they could.  They want to use the sword in a game, not just sell it.  So that sword can reasonably be said to have some value, or at least, it would if it could be sold.  An NFT that brings with it the option to equip and use that particular epic sword could thus plausibly have some value.

That's very different from NFTs where no one actually wants the NFT itself, and no one would be interested in it if they knew that it would be impossible to ever sell it.  If someone buys an NFT solely because he hopes that he'll someday be willing to sell it for more, and the only reason that that future person will buy it is in hopes of reselling it for even more, then that's what you have to watch out for.  That's more or less a scam.  In that case, the value is inevitably going to be $0 eventually, the average future owner of the item will lose money on it, and the best course of action is to avoid buying it.
    bcbully
    laserit said:

Money is hard to make, always has been. Now you have these jokers telling you all you have to do is read a tweet and push a button.

Reading and pushing buttons can be highly profitable and even productive.  That's fundamentally what computer programming is.  Of course, you have to read the right things and then push the right buttons in the right order for it to be effective.  So it's still hard work, even if it's largely mental work rather than physical.
    bcbully
    edited November 2021
    Quizzical said:
    laserit said:

Reading and pushing buttons can be highly profitable and even productive.  That's fundamentally what computer programming is.  Of course, you have to read the right things and then push the right buttons in the right order for it to be effective.  So it's still hard work, even if it's largely mental work rather than physical.
    What your describing requires a lot more than reading a Tweet and pressing a button. I'm think more about the Chimpanzee type of button pushing. There are some excellent books and films on the subject. Quite fascinating.

edit: Sorry to offend you BCbully , I’m in no way referring to you.

I’m referring to what most people call sheep around here.
    Post edited by laserit on
    bcbully

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,505
    Mendel said:
    laserit said:
    Scorchien said:
    laserit said:
    Scorchien said:

These things would be far more valuable, guns, drugs, alcohol but by far the easiest to transport is drugs, narcotics and anti-biotics in particular.

bcbully

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• WhiteLanternWhiteLantern Member RarePosts: 3,310
    Kyleran said:
    Mendel said:
    laserit said:
    Scorchien said:
    laserit said:
    Scorchien said:

These things would be far more valuable, guns, drugs, alcohol but by far the easiest to transport is drugs, narcotics and anti-biotics in particular.

Jelly. Made a case of grape last night, my first time making grape. I usually make peach, but this year we did make blackberry, blueberry, apple, pear and spiced pear.

...bullets are good too.

I want a mmorpg where people have gone through misery, have gone through school stuff and actually have had sex even. -sagil

• ScorchienScorchien Member LegendaryPosts: 8,914
    Kyleran said:
    Mendel said:
    laserit said:
    Scorchien said:
    laserit said:
    Scorchien said:

Salt ,Pepper an Sugar would be worth there wait in gold also BTW ... If the world gets that far ..
    Scorchien said:
    Kyleran said:
    Mendel said:
    laserit said:
    Scorchien said:
    laserit said:
    Scorchien said:

Salt ,Pepper an Sugar would be worth there wait in gold also BTW ... If the world gets that far ..
    Surviving your fellow man will be the most difficult part. I don't think we'd get as far as worrying about spices.

When the lightbulbs go out and the grocery shelves aren't being restocked, I'd expect 9 out of 10 people in the 1st world to be dead by the end of the first 30 days.

I'm not so sure about the 3rd world. They'll definitely have an easier time with it than us.  
    Kyleran

Your health is the most valuable thing you have other than your soul. 

people are going to find both of those out pretty soon when they realize they have neither. 
  • ChildoftheShadowsChildoftheShadows Member EpicPosts: 2,193
    You can print an exact copy of any pokemon card. (or any card)
    We've made copies of music since cassettes.
    I have copies of paintings on my walls.

When it comes to NFTs and smart contracts most people are just thinking of silly images and animations going for millions that they themselves don't find any value in, but that's just a small spec of what they can and inevitably will do.
    bcbully
  • ChildoftheShadowsChildoftheShadows Member EpicPosts: 2,193
    Music used in youtube videos could be verified through a wallet that holds licenses you hold linked to your youtube channel. 

Youtube wouldn't need to know anything or be in control of anything. They simply look at your wallet (the public side) and see the verified license and you're golden. No strikes possible for the music.

Music, artwork, anything that can be licensed can be on the blockchain. Easily verifiable. Easily transferable.
    bcbully
  • VrikaVrika Member LegendaryPosts: 7,888
    Music used in youtube videos could be verified through a wallet that holds licenses you hold linked to your youtube channel. 

Youtube wouldn't need to know anything or be in control of anything. They simply look at your wallet (the public side) and see the verified license and you're golden. No strikes possible for the music.

Music, artwork, anything that can be licensed can be on the blockchain. Easily verifiable. Easily transferable.
    The problem with music licences for Youtube and similar is rarely verifying whether music has a license or not. It's detecting whether the music should have a license or not.

• MendelMendel Member LegendaryPosts: 5,609
    Kyleran said:
    Mendel said:
    laserit said:
    Scorchien said:
    laserit said:
    Scorchien said:

You clearly intend to sell to the human survivors.  I have a different market in mind.

Kyleran

Logic, my dear, merely enables one to be wrong with great authority.

• LinifLinif Member UncommonPosts: 338
    edited November 2021
    NFTs just seems like a way to buy the rights to say you own something, which in practice it doesn't feel like it'd work or really holds value outside whatever environment it came from.

With Blockchain that makes it all easier to track, who owns what and a solid foundation to prove legitimacy.

NFTs just don't appeal to me. If they want to bring them into games: Okay. I won't participate in buying and selling them. If they lock me out by forcing NFTs then they can, metaphorically, eat my ass.
    bcbully
  • AmarantharAmaranthar Member EpicPosts: 5,801
    Linif said:
    NFTs just seems like a way to buy the rights to say you own something, which in practice it doesn't feel like it'd work or really holds value outside whatever environment it came from.

With Blockchain that makes it all easier to track, who owns what and a solid foundation to prove legitimacy.

NFTs just don't appeal to me. If they want to bring them into games: Okay. I won't participate in buying and selling them. If they lock me out by forcing NFTs then they can, metaphorically, eat my ass.
    I'd settle for a kiss. 

Just think, some day there will be Virtual Real Estate Companies that only hold an account so that they can buy and sell Castles (or anything else of value) in our games, driving the costs up to astronomical levels that only those who are wealthy, or who sell in-game items themselves, can afford. 
    Fun times, eh? 
    bcbullyKyleranLinif

Once upon a time....