Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

New World PvP At Level 10

2»

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 927
    edited October 2021
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
    Sometimes we need fantasy to survive reality 
    https://biturl.top/rU7bY3
    Beyond the shadows there's always light
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    edited October 2021
  • mklinicmklinic Member RarePosts: 1,981
    Wargfoot said:

Edit: It just occurred to me I might be working two incompatible goals.  I want to get good at dodging but the bow is a distance weapon..... and with light armor, if I need to dodge I probably already lost.

For what it's worth, Bow does have Evade shot which creates a bit of distance. I'll typically use Poison Shot, Rapid Shot (if there's still some distance), and then Evade as the enemy is usually pretty close at this point. Then I switch over to Rapier which, to me, seems to be built around dodging/attacking in light armor. With that you have another Evade Skill and Riposte for a bit more survivability.

Now, in fairness, I still tend to die horribly, but there is a bit of survivability there at least :)

-mklinic

"Do something right, no one remembers.
    Do something wrong, no one forgets"
    -from No One Remembers by In Strict Confidence

• OldKingLogOldKingLog Member RarePosts: 564
    Iselin said:
    Wargfoot said:
    ... I cannot hit anything with a bow.

Me neither. I came to the hatchet, ice gauntlet and life staff honestly through a process of elimination over several betas. I suck at both bow and musket.

I've been rocking bow/spear. I just start off with bow then swap to melee when they get close. Works like a charm, and I don't get carpel tunnel trying to aim a bow like a headless chicken at close up enemies.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    edited October 2021
  • XiaokiXiaoki Member EpicPosts: 3,848
    Wargfoot said:
    mklinic said:
    Wargfoot said:

Edit: It just occurred to me I might be working two incompatible goals.  I want to get good at dodging but the bow is a distance weapon..... and with light armor, if I need to dodge I probably already lost.

For what it's worth, Bow does have Evade shot which creates a bit of distance. I'll typically use Poison Shot, Rapid Shot (if there's still some distance), and then Evade as the enemy is usually pretty close at this point. Then I switch over to Rapier which, to me, seems to be built around dodging/attacking in light armor. With that you have another Evade Skill and Riposte for a bit more survivability.

Now, in fairness, I still tend to die horribly, but there is a bit of survivability there at least :)
    I saw a thread on the official forums about "fixing" the bow - the consensus being that it has a really tiny hit box.   In that thread a fellow talked about how he's 100% bow with Ice Gauntlet for crowd control - but to be honest, your Rapier suggestion is tempting.

One thing nice about the bow is the insane damage at distance.... and if I'm being honest, I like to be far away from the bad touch.   I'm also operating under the assumption that all ranged weapons will be OP in this game... as they are in every other game I've played.

To me having to press CTLR and direction to dodge may just be too clumsy.

I saw two people fighting the other day and the moves they were throwing down made me nearly quit the game.  I thought maybe I should let the adults play NW and I'll drop back to Minecraft.

That said, in Elite Dangerous I spent weeks practicing flying with flight assist off - and while I was never a pro I got to be damn good at it.  I probably need to go practice with NPCs for a few weeks to get my moves down.
    If you are having problems with the controls then why not just re-map your keys?

I have dodge set to mouse button 4 and it works so much better.

The default key layouts for PC action games are always terrible.

• mklinicmklinic Member RarePosts: 1,981
    Wargfoot said:

The Evade skill for Rapier might be a good fit for you then. It's a slotted action (so Q, R or F) and is a side step dodge + invulnerability. So no having to press ctrl+direction. Riposte is a counter+stun that doesn't require you to actively dodge either.

I've been trying out some other weapon combos, but so far, this is just the pairing I've had the most success with for how I like to play. It's pretty interesting the variety of builds people are playing. So just a matter of finding what feels right I suppose.

-mklinic

"Do something right, no one remembers.
    Do something wrong, no one forgets"
    -from No One Remembers by In Strict Confidence

• DjijinDjijin Member UncommonPosts: 108
    edited October 2021
    There is only one pvp meta these days. Expect the same style of sweaty pvp as any other game.

RP is irrelevant. The game is irrelevant. The meta drives the minds of players today. They are lemmings, and have been for a years.

YashaXmmolou
  • IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    Wargfoot said:

I switched my dodge to space bar from left-shift (Ctrl for me is using a targeted life staff heal on myself) and I use left shift to jump.

I find the spacebar using my thumb much easier to use together with WASD for dodging. It took a little bit of getting used to left shift jumping but I dodge one hell of a lot more than I jump so it works out.
    [Deleted User]
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

edited October 2021
    Torval said:
    Iselin said:
    Wargfoot said:

I switched my dodge to space bar from left-shift (Ctrl for me is using a targeted life staff heal on myself) and I use left shift to jump.

I find the spacebar using my thumb much easier to use together with WASD for dodging. It took a little bit of getting used to left shift jumping but I dodge one hell of a lot more than I jump so it works out.
    I mapped LEFT CTRL to a side mouse button so I don't have to reach. Weapon Swap, X (stow weapon), crouch C, auto run, and map are also mapped to my mouse.
    Yeah I mapped CTRL to my mouse wheel's left click. My 1-3 thumb buttons are mapped to skills 1-3. I just find it quicker to use both the thumb and the wheel left click as a 1,2 combo for quick self heals especially when I have targeted healing active in an expedition since I'm selecting group members with the wheel's scroll.

BTW about dodging...

A lot of people already know this but in case someone reading this doesn't, if you keep your armor light and can roll dodge, there's a way to travel faster or get away from things or players chasing you faster by cancelling that recovery animation that you normally go through after a roll dodge.

That animation can be cancelled by weapon swapping while rolling. Using that roll gains you a bit of distance over just running. I use that while running from place to place and it definitely gets you there faster. Just do 2 rolls, let the stamina get back to full and repeat for as long as you want,

I have my weapon swap on a mouse button so it's very easy for me to do it. It's become second nature to always do it after a dodge unless I'm fighting and I don't really want to swap weapons that is. :)
    Post edited by Iselin on
    YashaX
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

― CD PROJEKT RED

• laseritlaserit Member LegendaryPosts: 7,591
    Torval said:
    Iselin said:
    Wargfoot said:

I mapped LEFT CTRL to a side mouse button so I don't have to reach. Weapon Swap, X (stow weapon), crouch C, auto run, and map are also mapped to my mouse.
    My fingers are too big. Every time I try something like that, bad things happen ;)
    Iselin

"Be water my friend" - Bruce Lee

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • BloodaxesBloodaxes Member EpicPosts: 4,662
    Wargfoot said:
    15 OCT 2021

I had a Syndicate (level 55) blow me up outside of town.

Kyleran

Wargfoot said:

Basically, there is no PvP in New World if you're under level.
    I've been running around for hours and this is the closest I've gotten to anything on level.

That's too bad.
    Not level so much as solo. There is no magically invisible "stealth" in NW which is the main thing that makes solo open world PvP viable in other MMOs.

PvP with friends or be dead here. Unless of course you're a PvP god but those self-proclaimed godlings hate NW. or so I'm told.

:)

― Umberto Eco

― CD PROJEKT RED

• YashaXYashaX Member EpicPosts: 3,098
    Wargfoot said:
    16 OCT 2021

I was running around outside of Windward and found a level 19 flagged.  
    At 50 deaths in to people 30 levels above me and I'd finally found a true sport.
    At level 17 I figured I'd lose, but heck, maybe I'd last long enough to chug a potion.

I took up a position, pulled the bow... a bead of nervous sweat running down my forehead.  This was going to be awesome.  Maybe even a headshot.   

Ready

Aim

Fire

* thunk *

She just stood there, however, the three comrades that she had in hiding nearby (50+) did not remain in hiding.   They descended down upon me like three lioness on a wounded gazelle.

* munch *

Basically, there is no PvP in New World if you're under level.
    I've been running around for hours and this is the closest I've gotten to anything on level.

That's too bad.
    It might depend on thes erver you are on, but I have found a lot of solo pvp at low levels.

If you go just quest/gather normally but with the pvp flag on you are bound to run into other solo players who are also flagged.
    Wargfoot said:
    My first PvP kill ever.... was someone 10 levels below me who was just trying to farm materials.   

Least... satisfying...PvP...of... my....life.

I immediately wanted to apologize.  :dizzy:
    In other news, I had several high level PvPers totally ignore me today.

I think I'd rather run a healer build and run around healing people who are losing PvE battles.
    That kill was me ya jerk, I was afk having a bio ;)
    [Deleted User]

Wargfoot said:
    laserit said:
    Wargfoot said:
    My first PvP kill ever.... was someone 10 levels below me who was just trying to farm materials.   

Least... satisfying...PvP...of... my....life.

I immediately wanted to apologize.  :dizzy:
    In other news, I had several high level PvPers totally ignore me today.

I think I'd rather run a healer build and run around healing people who are losing PvE battles.
    That kill was me ya jerk, I was afk having a bio ;)
    lulz nub... git gud.
    2bsy2p. ;)