Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What will New World be like in 2 years? 5 years?

olepiolepi Member EpicPosts: 2,829
My usual habit is to play a new MMORPG for a bit, and then wait and watch as it develops and matures. Normally it takes 6 months or more for a new game to settle out, at least. And games normally change, sometimes quite a bit, after a year or two.

For example, take ESO. When it came out, it was a mess. The new unified server technology failed a lot, so people could be standing right next to each other, and not see each other as if they were in different servers, although ESO doesn't really have "servers". And each zone had different level mobs. Now look at ESO: lots more zones, and One Tamriel totally changed how to play.

So what will New World be like in a year, two years, five years?

More zones, obviously. More weapons, obviously. More questlines? Mounts? A whole new "legendary" set of skills? Additional levels? Guild houses? Diplomacy? P2W? More islands that are really survival challenges?

My feeling is that NW today is just starting out. It's a bit bland and generic, and kind of basic. But the foundation is solid and they have a lot of room to grow and change.

What do you think NW will be like in 2-5 years?

------------
2024: 47 years on the Net.

Comments

• ConstantineMerusConstantineMerus Member EpicPosts: 3,338
    In 2 years not so much of a New World anymore and in 5 sort of an Old World. 
    Kyleran[Deleted User]UngoodeoloeQuizzicallaserit
    Constantine, The Console Poster

• "One of the most difficult tasks men can perform, however much others may despise it, is the invention of good games and it cannot be done by men out of touch with their instinctive selves." - Carl Jung
  • kitaradkitarad Member LegendaryPosts: 7,919
    I recall ESO when I betaed it, it was a bad game. However a year later when I finally bought it and played it had improved a lot. With time I think things can improve in many games. I have gone through this were I disliked a game initially only to come back years later and ask myself why I hated it before.
    Kyleranklash2def

• XiaokiXiaoki Member EpicPosts: 3,855
    For ESO the first year was quite rough but after that they really got it together and started putting out new content and kept the major game breaking bugs to a minimum.

New World needs to do the same and in a shorter time period.

The base game of New World is not as expansive as ESOs and NW has launched in a very busy MMO season.

If they don't start adding content and get a handle on the game breaking bugs (which have been destroying the PvP) then it's going to get lost when FF14 Endwalker, Lost Ark and GW2 EoD release.

It could still find it's footing a year or 2 from now but Amazon has not been very forgiving when it comes to under performing games so far.
    klash2def
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    edited October 2021
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • borghive49borghive49 Member RarePosts: 493
    I don't think this game is going to make it personally. You're looking at the next Wildstar here.
    IselinKyleranSephrosgrimalUngood
  • BrainyBrainy Member EpicPosts: 2,038
    Yes after reaching 60, I am surprised at how bad this game is.  They have so many changes they need to make just to save this game.  Its not going to happen.  This game is caving so fast.  There is just so many game breaking issues I could sit here all day talking about it.

Here is 1 example.

At max level (60) someone can mine any level ORE node with 1 hit 25% of time.  If they dont get it on first try you can step away and try again to 1 tap it.  This is combined with the fact that high level tools can mine at 8x the speed of other tools and you get huge increases in gathering amounts.  Now imagine how a 60 can literally mine thousands of ore in a few minutes.  This ore is going to go on the auction house selling for pennies.  If your auction house on your server hasn't seen the prices drop yet, believe me as more 60's happen the economy is going to die.   Add to that above problem is that to get Rare mats for BIS items you need to farm the ore.  So 60's are going around farming ore getting 100k ore and you cant even fit that in your bank and there is no real end game sink for these items.  Only place you can stick it is on the auction house for 1 silver and hope you can sell it or drop it on the ground, I see people doing both.

This is an economy breaker, which was early game one of its strong suits.  But as people level to max you will see it break.

I can go on and on about all the game breaking issues this game has just like above but in things like pvp battles, pve dungeon problems, how at high end all the towns will soon have only 3 quests instead of 12 on town boards, I could go on and on.  All due to stupid design decisions.

Yeah I have zero confidence they will be able to fix all these problems.  These problems are so blatantly obvious once you reach max level, its like "What were they thinking".

I am not even talking about all the bugs this game has where various item ability/stats don't work at all properly, exploits all over the place, gold duping bugs where they cant get the money back out of the economy... 

Sure they might fix a few, "MAYBE".  But there is just too many.  No clue if they had any internal testers that got to 60 but geez they either sucked at their job or the devs just completely ignored all the problems.

klash2defUngood[Deleted User]MendelClywd
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 927
    edited October 2021
    Sometimes we need fantasy to survive reality 
    https://biturl.top/rU7bY3
    Beyond the shadows there's always light
    Deathkon1 said:
    Brainy said:
    Yes after reaching 60, I am surprised at how bad this game is.  They have so many changes they need to make just to save this game.  Its not going to happen.  This game is caving so fast.  There is just so many game breaking issues I could sit here all day talking about it.

Here is 1 example.

At max level (60) someone can mine any level ORE node with 1 hit 25% of time.  If they dont get it on first try you can step away and try again to 1 tap it.  This is combined with the fact that high level tools can mine at 8x the speed of other tools and you get huge increases in gathering amounts.  Now imagine how a 60 can literally mine thousands of ore in a few minutes.  This ore is going to go on the auction house selling for pennies.  If your auction house on your server hasn't seen the prices drop yet, believe me as more 60's happen the economy is going to die.   Add to that above problem is that to get Rare mats for BIS items you need to farm the ore.  So 60's are going around farming ore getting 100k ore and you cant even fit that in your bank and there is no real end game sink for these items.  Only place you can stick it is on the auction house for 1 silver and hope you can sell it or drop it on the ground, I see people doing both.

This is an economy breaker, which was early game one of its strong suits.  But as people level to max you will see it break.

Sure they might fix a few, "MAYBE".  But there is just too many.  No clue if they had any internal testers that got to 60 but geez they either sucked at their job or the devs just completely ignored all the problems.
    Sounds like prime time to hoard ore and wait until they fix it then wait a bit then mass sell it
    You cant horde it, no bank space unless you are low level.  Its about to be completely worthless.  Its not just ore either, its all the resources.  Once you get 20% of the server 60 instead of 4-5% prepare to see things ultra crash.
  • ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,986
    Two years in the big issues will be in the past, five years in it will become obvious there are some things they cannot solve. That's what has happened in every MMO I have played so likely so here.
    [Deleted User]KyleranYashaX
  • IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    edited October 2021
    Except ore does not re-spawn instantly...

And you guys seem to be surprised it works that way, when it actually worked that way in ALL MMORPGs !

For instance in WoW (vanilla/classic)...

The first level 60s could make thousands of gold with the high end ores and the arcane crystals, those where totally inaccessible to lower levels (so even worse than in NW). When more people reached 60 and things calmed down, arcane crystals dropped from several hundreds of gold to 50 gold each.

So how is it surprising that a max level, way more powerful, is able to easier collect resources than let's say a level 30 ?

The game just works... like all others.
    It's also not like the ore is all clumped together. Not only that but the higher level ores take a while to respawn. Even 100 level ore, Starmetal, takes 20-30 minutes to respawn. No idea how long it takes for Orichalcum to respawn since my mining is not that high but I'm going to guess it's more than 30 minutes.

So I'm going to call bullshit for both reasons on "imagine how a 60 can literally mine thousands of ore in a few minutes."

Do level 60s with better tools have an advantage mining? Well of course they do. Will the demand and prices drop as the high level ore become more plentiful? Well duhh. 

Cool story for the doom and gloom crowd though.
    [Deleted User]YashaX
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• RemaliRemali Member RarePosts: 914
    Game seems to have stabilized population wise and we have no mmos launching the next 2 years except the usual kickstarter promises so it should do ok
    I have quit tho but will return if they improve the pve side
    edited October 2021

And you guys seem to be surprised it works that way, when it actually worked that way in ALL MMORPGs !

The first level 60s could make thousands of gold with the high end ores and the arcane crystals, those where totally inaccessible to lower levels (so even worse than in NW). When more people reached 60 and things calmed down, arcane crystals dropped from several hundreds of gold to 50 gold each.

So how is it surprising that a max level, way more powerful, is able to easier collect resources than let's say a level 30 ?

yeah what about wood? Entire map is covered with trees.  It wont matter, I predict within 2 weeks to a month almost all resources will be at .01 which is the lowest you can sell them for.  People will be throwing away resources on the ground because it wont have much value.  Only the rare specialty items will be kept for end game gear.  This wont be 6 months out, we talking a few week you will see.  Maybe Iron due to node respawn may have some value but I doubt it unless they slow repop.

You are just not getting the shear number of resources you can get. Wait until everyone has a full resource suit on.  I can fill every single bank in all zones within a few hours with resources.  Due to storage and not item sinks it will have to either go on the auction house undercutting the other 60 just to sell because you have zero room in storage.  Otherwise you will chuck it on the ground.

These town quests that require resources, prepare for them to disappear once towns are leveled.  Good luck trying to get to 300 town levels.

This economy/board quest loop is about to crash hard.

Ungood
  • olepiolepi Member EpicPosts: 2,829
    Wood is easy to get, just as stone, for obvious reasons. PvP.

And town installations degrade with time... they need maintenance.

By the way, towns on my server (Hades/Europe) are teeming with low level players too, beside all the higher level ones. We even had a short queue again this Saturday.

But as @Iselin said, go go doom and gloom predictions !

It's Halloween soon, please be scary !

In a year or two, NW could add a whole new range of materials, and make those very hard to get. They could add tiers of learning that have to be accomplished to even start mining the top stuff. They could add new jobs to the jobs board, add new levels to the town, add new buildings that have to be maintained and leveled. Add another 10 levels for players, Add a bunch of new dungeons. Add increased item decay, building decay, town decay.

It's a mistake to think that what they have today is what is going to be there in a year or two or five.
    TwistedSister77[Deleted User]KyleranYashaX

------------
    2024: 47 years on the Net.

• UngoodUngood Member LegendaryPosts: 7,532
    I have no idea.

I played GW2, and I watched them put in things, and then abandon things, change things, like wisps in the wind, and all in all, I mean, legit, it felt like MO was running one big experiment, willing to go in whatever direction the wind blew, but at the same time, clinging to some really bad ideas, while abandoning some really good ones, like they were trying to design and develop the game after it launched.

Now, no joke, Amazon Game Studio, and the New World Devs, seem to the kind of people that feel hell bent obligated to make all their own mistakes and not learn a damn thing from any game in the past, and I have to admire them in a way for that, like I admire someone that needs to go get kicked in the nads to know how it feels.

With that said, they have been pretty fast at being able to adjust and modify the game, doing a full direction revamp in what? Less then a year, so, while it does look like they plan to have to fuck the football themselves, to discover that is not how you play football, at least they are fast in their ability to respond, change, and fix things.

If they "fix" things for the better or worse, that remains to be seen. But, given how fluid this studio is, we all know things will change, they are just that kind of studio.
    Egotism is the anesthetic that dullens the pain of stupidity, this is why when I try to beat my head against the stupidity of other people, I only hurt myself.

• TwistedSister77TwistedSister77 Member EpicPosts: 1,144
    You're asking for opinion... here's mine.

I'd say 30% chance of shutdown,  given Amazon's history of shuttering games... I would have said 50%... but box sales were decent and visibility of this game is massive (even for non players). 

Like it or not, this is their flagship game and if they let it burn... Amazon Studio will have a hard time convincing people to buy future games.  Poor reputation will destroy other launches.

So on a positive front, 70% survival chance... systems need to be fixed (e.g. pvp content is broken, crafting end game weapons/armor is a waste of time, the gold made vs spent is not sustainable, bugs, etc).  So these systems can be fixed.

Content, content, content...

- 2 pvp battlegrounds is not enough (war, which most get booted out by other players and the outpost scenario).  Most will play outpost, but if that's the main option... people will burn out on it fast (especially since that is the best and most reliable way to make gold... win or lose...).

- more level 60 PvE content of course.

-more weapon classes (particularly another healing weapon and tree).

So I expect 1 major DLC per year of content

To early to tell, I'm hopeful, but not holding my breath.
    MendelUngood
  • ScorchienScorchien Member LegendaryPosts: 8,914

25 years later UO still has the best Ore Gathering system , which is a another reason ohhh pretty does not make good systems .  
  • IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    Stizzled said:
    Wood is easy to get, just as stone, for obvious reasons. PvP.

And town installations degrade with time... they need maintenance.

By the way, towns on my server (Hades/Europe) are teeming with low level players too, beside all the higher level ones. We even had a short queue again this Saturday.

But as @Iselin said, go go doom and gloom predictions !

It's Halloween soon, please be scary !
    Everything isn't all doom and gloom, but the economy on many servers is completely ruined. Eventually, it will happen to every server.

The game has far too many gold sinks with no good way to make gold outside of selling resources and equipment. Unfortunately resources and equipment are worth absolutely nothing.

I have faith they can fix it, but if they don't it won't end well.
    In my opinion the main problem is the low amount of gold earned by quests and worst of all, no gold drops from mobs - they even removed it from fishing chests I assume, as an anti fishing bot measure.

The cost of housing, housing taxes, etc. have a strong deflationary influence on the economy without an equivalent inflationary gold drop rate.

Players are tight with their gold because it's not all that easy to earn it. 

They really need to add gold drops from mobs and increase gold rewards from quests or players will never be willing to spend lots at the trading post.

[Deleted User][Deleted User]YashaX
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• NanfoodleNanfoodle Member LegendaryPosts: 10,617
    My guess is it will have cut out it space in the market and have its 200-400k players that enjoy its treadmill much like all quality MMOs. 
  • OldKingLogOldKingLog Member RarePosts: 564
    edited October 2021
    As much as I like NW, longevity is certainly not the games strong suit. I imagine given Amazon's previous track record that in five years NW has quite a good chance of being dead and buried.

And now along will come many of you clamoring how wrong I am and that Amazon is a wealthy company and has the money to change the problems, or add the features that would allow the game to live a long and healthy life. All I have to say to that is why hasn't any of that been done already. This isn't some rookie indy studio with a shoe string budget. This is an AAA company with the money to hire expert consultants to avoid many if not all of the pitfalls NW has encountered. One has to question if Amazon is dedicated to this game why these issues persist.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
    edited October 2021
  • skurk81skurk81 Member UncommonPosts: 48
    I wrote some long comment about things that are wrong, but it disappeared. Lots of things are not very obvious until you have reached 60 and been there for a while. Many of you will become aware of what a train wreck this game is in the coming weeks. 
    Clywd
    edited October 2021
  • TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,754
    skurk81 said:
    I wrote some long comment about things that are wrong, but it disappeared. Lots of things are not very obvious until you have reached 60 and been there for a while. Many of you will become aware of what a train wreck this game is in the coming weeks. 

I imagine it will go like most of the other MMOs have gone? I dont see why it would shut down unless they are just trying to get the fast buck and get out....WOuld Amazon want to take that kind of hit to their reputation?