Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

New World's Cooking Makes Me Long For LotRO's Farming | MMORPG.com

SystemSystem Member UncommonPosts: 12,599
edited October 2021 in News & Features Discussion

imageNew World's Cooking Makes Me Long For LotRO's Farming | MMORPG.com

New World's cooking aims to give the player realistic recipes to follow when making that next melon tart or shooter sandwich, but with so many ingredients dependent on luck to find, it makes Bradford wish for his days farming in The Lord of the Rings Online.

Read the full story here

Comments

• ConnmacartConnmacart Member UncommonPosts: 722
    Yeah I recall getting milk from cows at some point. I find it more annoying that most of my ingredients are scattered across multiple towns. Though I really only cook health buff meals anyway.
  • k61977k61977 Member EpicPosts: 1,503
    Like Jean-Luc has stated herbs seem to be region specific for better drop rates. I have found that the elusive peppercorn that so many cry about drops in the top of morningdale all day long at least for me. Normally from the larger herb formations. Unfortunately I haven't been able to figure out which region is best for garlic. It is the one thing that holds me up every single time. I can go out and farm 40 or 50 peppercorn in 30 mins or so, but not a single garlic. Guessing it is one of the areas that I don't really play in.
    [Deleted User]
  • TillerTiller Member LegendaryPosts: 11,163
    edited October 2021
    You seen how all the farms in Aeternum turn out, undead? That's why they were reduced to hunter gatherer xD. Welcome to the New World. As cool as farming would be like BDO, instead we go this. https://www.newworld-map.com/#/
    Myrdynn
    SWG Bloodfin vet
    Elder Jedi/Elder Bounty Hunter

• bobbymcswansonbobbymcswanson Member UncommonPosts: 204
    I dont like the idea of having all the ingredients localized and instanced....seems like you are trying to cut out a lot of the sandbox experience they are trying to add in. I like the idea of people having to go all around the world to gather regional ingredients or that there can be a market bringing them from a place where they are abundant to a town where they are rarely seen. Farming would take that all away from the game. I hope they take steps to move it away from being a theme park rather than towards it but it doesn't seem likely at this point.
    Mallyx
  • lucyluffy101lucyluffy101 Member UncommonPosts: 152
    New World cooking is not worth because everyone in this game can go healer. This game don't have a real economy the gear just drop from the mobs include potion.
  • JSmileyWJSmileyW Newbie CommonPosts: 1
    Alright, I've found a couple charts that help me out in my cooking adventures, so here's the info for them:

Herbs:
    Basil: Brightwood, Everfall
    Cinnamon: Cutlass Keys, Edengrove, First Light
    Dill: Edengrove, First Light, Mourningdale
    Garlic: Everfall, Great Cleave
    Ginger: Ebonscale, Reekwater, Windsward
    Mint: Restless Shore, Weaver's Fen, Windsward
    Nutmeg: First Light, Great Cleave, Weaver's Fen
    Oregano: Monarch's Bluff, Restless Shore, Shattered Mountain
    Paprika: Brightwood, Monarch's Bluff, Shattered Mountain
    Parsley: Cutlass Keys, Edengrove, Mourningdale
    Peppercorn: Cutlass Keys, Monarch's Bluff, Mourningdale
    Rosemary: Great Cleave, Restless Shore, Weaver's Fen
    Saffron: Brightwood, First Light, Mourningdale
    Sage: Brightwood, Everfall, Reekwater
    Tarragon: Brightwood, Reekwater
    Thyme: Ebonscale, Reekwater, Windsward

Provision Boxes:
    Apple: Brightwood, Reekwater
    Cauliflower: Edengrove, First Light, Mourningdale
    Coconut: Restless Shore, Weaver's Fen, Windsward
    Lemon: Great Cleave, Restless Shore, Weaver's Fen
    Melon: First Light, Great Cleave, Weaver's Fen
    Milk: Anywhere
    Onion: Cutlass Keys, Edengrove, First Light
    Orange: Cutlass Keys, Edengrove, Mourningdale
    Rice: Monarch's Bluff, Restless Shore, Shattered Mountain
    Salt: Brightwood, Everfall
    String Bean: Ebonscale, Everfall, Reekwater
    Sugar: Ebonscale, Reekwater, Windsward
    Tomato: Cutlass Keys, Monarch's Bluff, Mourningdale
    Yeast: Brightwood, Monarch's Bluff, Shattered Mountain

Additionally, each town has a bee hive you can gather honey from, in addition to other resource nodes such as a well or a cart with a material, however you can only access these if your faction (Marauder, Covenant, or Syndicate) controls the territory.

Also, as a note, when I go farming for herbs from herb plants, I first put on my harvesting gear (which is just gear that increases my chance of getting rare items while harvesting), then eat my harvesting food (it improves luck while harvesting, which seems to increase the quantity of rare items I get from harvesting, which is why the harvesting gear is essential), then farm for herbs. My favorite locations to farm for herbs at are the beaches in the starting zones (Monarch's Bluff, Windsward, First Light, Everfall) as they have a very high density of herb plants, with the only enemies being level 3 boars, for the most part.

Hope this info helps!

P.S. I also really hope they add farms xD, I actually mentioned that to my brother on day 1, when I was gathering herbs lol. Maybe one day!
    Tokkenk61977ScotGroqstrongTwistedSister77mibgeneral
  • IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    I know where to find the ingredients but the drop rate on them is still too low, IMO. At least they make the trading post useful for something :)

Herb gardens IRL, don't take much space. Would love to see that added to housing as window boxes.
    [Deleted User]
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,955
    edited October 2021
    JSmileyW said:
    Alright, I've found a couple charts that help me out in my cooking adventures, so here's the info for them:

We just don't get many first posts as good as this...

Welcome to the forums! :)
    [Deleted User]Groqstrong
  • IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    New World cooking is not worth because everyone in this game can go healer.
    No, just no.
    Just the crafting buffs are definitely worth it.

And not everyone can go healer and be a MAIN healer either, unless he also has full healer gear beside his DPS gear, and that's exactly the same as in games like WoW.
    There's even healer food that buffs your focus by 40. Some of that food for all stats - whichever you want to buff.
    [Deleted User]
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• MerilickMerilick Newbie CommonPosts: 1
    Some of the major cities have a cow like first light and windsward. You get like 20 milk every time just like wells with water and honey from the hive.
    Myrdynn[Deleted User]
  • MyrdynnMyrdynn Member RarePosts: 2,479
    I hope they add farming in the future, I have spent probably 90% of my time crafting, all my crafts are over 50 and I am barely level 20

I enjoy it, but yah there is alot of barriers holding me back from progressing cooking at this stage
  • MyrdynnMyrdynn Member RarePosts: 2,479

Merilick said:

Some of the major cities have a cow like first light and windsward. You get like 20 milk every time just like wells with water and honey from the hive.

I never knew this thank you
  • ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,955
    Merilick said:
    Welcome to the forums! :)
  • JemcrystalJemcrystal Member UncommonPosts: 1,984
    Ark Survival Evolved has the best farming. Who needs cows when you got wyverns to milk?